Antarctic Cruise Suggestions?

I was originally signed up for the 2021 inaugural Endeavor antarctic trip  down to the Ross sea that was Covid cancelled. I doesn't look like Crystal has any plans to repeat that itinerary anytime in the foreseeable future. (And I am not getting any younger ;(   )

My question; any opinions of the  Lindblad ships  "National Geographic Resolution or Resolution."  Lindblad has a few voyages from Ushuaia to New Zealand that skirt along the Antarctic coastline and go down into the Ross sea. I know it is not Crystal, but the ship and  cabins look nice enough. 

The other Lux lines, Silverseas, Seabourn, etc, do not do this itinerary.    

Thanks.

J

Edited by JMARINER
add
  • JMARINER changed the title to Antarctic Cruise Suggestions?

If you look at post #32 of the “Any word on the Crystal Endeavor” thread, someone posted that Crystal expects to publish Endeavor’s 2023 full year collection, which will include Antarctica by way of the Ross Sea.  Thus in a couple of weeks, we may be able to preview Crystal’s 2023 Ross Sea expedition.

We were booked on one of Crystal’s canceled 2021 expeditions to the Ross Sea.  It is nice to see that Crystal is planning a similar offering in 2023.

The last I heard, Antarctica is closed to expedition ships in early 2021 due to COVID concerns.  It would not surprise me if it remains closed to expedition ships into 2022.  It also remains to be seen when New Zealand and Australia will open for expedition ships.  Thus 2023 for the Ross Sea may be the best bet.

Thanks. I read the press release letter of Jan 21, 2023 from that post.

I don't think it could be in 2023. Crystal shows the Endeavor still in South America/peninsula/Falkland route  until February 6, 2023. By that date I think it would be too late in the season to sail back to Ross Sea/NZ. It would be great if they did! But I think the best I could hope for would be in late 2023/2024 summer season.

J

On 2/21/2021 at 7:43 PM, JMARINER said:

I was originally signed up for the 2021 inaugural Endeavor antarctic trip  down to the Ross sea that was Covid cancelled. I doesn't look like Crystal has any plans to repeat that itinerary anytime in the foreseeable future. (And I am not getting any younger ;(   )

My question; any opinions of the  Lindblad ships  "National Geographic Resolution or Resolution."  Lindblad has a few voyages from Ushuaia to New Zealand that skirt along the Antarctic coastline and go down into the Ross sea. I know it is not Crystal, but the ship and  cabins look nice enough. 

The other Lux lines, Silverseas, Seabourn, etc, do not do this itinerary.    

Thanks.

J

What about new polar ships already out or coming online in 2021 by near-luxury lines: Aurora Expeditions, Quark, Vantage, Atlas?

21 hours ago, gnld said:

What about new polar ships already out or coming online in 2021 by near-luxury lines: Aurora Expeditions, Quark, Vantage, Atlas?

Sadly, none of these Cruise lines have itineraries that go down to the Ross sea. All of the above cruise lines depart  from South America, only go down to the Peninsula and a few barely cross the Antarctic Circle.

Ross island is much further south, about 750 south of the  Antarctic Circle and only about 850 from the South Pole.  This is why I was so excited to have booked the original Endeavor trip.

J

I have had a long held wish to visit the Ross Sea area and the remains of the Heroic Era. Arguably such a trip demands a certain level of 'proper expedition conditions'. For that reason I have long chewed over whether to choose Heritage Expeditions. Their trips looks wonderful - but just not very luxurious.

https://www.heritage-expeditions.com/

Ponant is doing it as well however despite the decent all in - drinks -  the food operations cannot match with Crystal. My one and only cruise on P in September to Croatia was of such a kind i will not repeat Ponant. I wrote a review concerning Le Champlain. 

And Hapag Lloyd of course  however vast majority of guests are German speaking for sure on the Hanseatic Nature . So far I never made a cruise on the expedition ships of HL , my first is supposed to be "around Iceland" in early June - with a lof of ??? 

I did visit the Inspiration prior to maiden cruise and I must admit it is indeed a beautiful ship. All suites do have showers only owners suite does have bathtub. 

meanwhile we ( a Belgian group ) were refused by hapag lloyd for the "around Iceland" because we do live in Belgium and are not belonging to the D A CH market , otherwise said Germany Austria or Switserland 

discrimination is still existing in the German travel industry in 2021 !!

i think our tests and vacinnes are equal to those in the 3 countries mentionned above. 

• 1 month later...

We did the 3 week Seabourn itinerary- basically a week going south from Buenos Aires, a week in Antarctica, and a week north to Valparaiso.  We didn't see Ross Island, but I was very pleased with Seabourn.  We had extremely rough seas crossing the Drake Passage in both directions.  I'm talking 40 foot waves crashing over windows on the fifth deck.  When we got to Ushuaia we saw the Ponant ship and the 100 passenger expedition ships.  I told my husband that I was so thankful that we were on a larger ship!  I couldn't imagine crossing the Drake in one of those small ships. 

39 minutes ago, mbiggers said:

We did the 3 week Seabourn itinerary- basically a week going south from Buenos Aires, a week in Antarctica, and a week north to Valparaiso.  We didn't see Ross Island, but I was very pleased with Seabourn.  We had extremely rough seas crossing the Drake Passage in both directions.  I'm talking 40 foot waves crashing over windows on the fifth deck.  When we got to Ushuaia we saw the Ponant ship and the 100 passenger expedition ships.  I told my husband that I was so thankful that we were on a larger ship!  I couldn't imagine crossing the Drake in one of those small ships. 

Actually, the Ponant ships are very good in those seas. We did an Abercrombie & Kent Antarctica cruise on Boreal in 2010. On the way north across the Drake we had 18 hours of 40+ foot waves and almost hurricane force winds and the ship handled it very well. Moving about on the ship was a challenge, and we "levitated " off the bed several times during the night, but never felt in danger. The ships have only seven decks, and while they only displace 11,000 GRT, it is for the most part low on the ship or below the waterline! Truth be told, they are ideal for Antarctica because they are very manouverable and can get into places larger ships can't.

A vote for Seabourn.  IMO they did a tremendous job.  We liked coming back to the luxury of the ship.  The expedition crew was top notch.  I have nothing to compare it to -- like most of us -- one and done.

Seabourn is not my favorite cruise line but for Antarctica I give them 6 stars.