Jump to content

Shareholder Benefit


Recommended Posts

I buy shares through an online broker, as part of an ISA.

I just send a copy of my online ISA statement, with all information redacted, with the exception of the details of the Carnival shares.

Or that's what I used to do. Got rid of my Carnival shares when the price started falling last year. Probably not a great move, but hindsight is a wonderful thing!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, silkworms said:

I could do with some help re shares.  Know nothing about shares!

I bought 100 carnival shares last March when they were very low priced.

Bought them through the Share Centre which has now been taken over

by Interactive Investments. 
 

What do I actually need to prove to P and O or Princess that I have

these shares? Everything was done online. I have found something

called a Contract Note from March last year. Do I just print it out and

email it to them? Or do you recommend transferring them to

Equiniti which evidently, according to P and O , they will liaise with

them for proof of ownership.

 

We have three cruises this year and three next year so would really

appreciate someone’s help with this.  Thanks.

 

Terri

Share centre used to advise Carnival on your behalf, but no idea if ii will do the same. But if our July cruise goes ahead I will find out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Esprit said:

For the past few years an email from me requesting the Shareholders OBC has sufficed. Can't remember the last time I sent a copy of the share certificate!

You dont need too that is one of the benefits of having a share certificate P&O/Cunard can check shareholding with Equiniti.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought my shares many years ago and option was a share certificate which I took. Dont pay anyone anything and I know I once sent a copy of my share certificate to P&O and they said I would never need to send copy in future for any bookings with them or Cunard. Princess is a different system altogether unless it has changed since we last cruised with them. There is a form that they ask for you to fill in and fax to them. Nobody seems to fax anymore in UK but is still widely used in US. They also used to request a recent proof of shareholding with a date on not more than a month before you cruise which obviously means a share certificate is no good as its not dated except for when you purchased shares. In the end I finally turned to my TA for help and they sorted it out. Let's hope Princess have changed for UK customers wanting to apply shareholding benefit to their cruises.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes Majortom, that is what confused me, because I thought if the

document is dated last year, how do they know I haven’t sold

the shares!

Nearer the time I will contact PandO share advice office to see

what they will accept and take it from there.

 

Terri

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I bought my shares many years ago and option was a share certificate which I took. Dont pay anyone anything and I know I once sent a copy of my share certificate to P&O and they said I would never need to send copy in future for any bookings with them or Cunard. Princess is a different system altogether unless it has changed since we last cruised with them. There is a form that they ask for you to fill in and fax to them. Nobody seems to fax anymore in UK but is still widely used in US. They also used to request a recent proof of shareholding with a date on not more than a month before you cruise which obviously means a share certificate is no good as its not dated except for when you purchased shares. In the end I finally turned to my TA for help and they sorted it out. Let's hope Princess have changed for UK customers wanting to apply shareholding benefit to their cruises.

The last twice with Princess 2019 I sent my share account number to Benefits@princesscruises.co.uk and they applied the benefit exactly as Carnival brands.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, silkworms said:

Yes Majortom, that is what confused me, because I thought if the

document is dated last year, how do they know I haven’t sold

the shares!

Nearer the time I will contact PandO share advice office to see

what they will accept and take it from there.

 

Terri

Last year I sent my contract from hargreaves Lansdown for the shares.  They accepted that and credited the room.  However the cruise has been moved to next April and the room credit for the shares wasn't.  I did have it added before I had paid off the full amount.  Since then I have bought and sold the shares 3 times.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

The last twice with Princess 2019 I sent my share account number to Benefits@princesscruises.co.uk and they applied the benefit exactly as Carnival brands.

Same for us with our Princess cruises since about 2016. 

Glad I haven't got to dig out the share certificates, They go back to the P&O Princess days pre merger with Carnival.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dinglebert said:

Last year I sent my contract from hargreaves Lansdown for the shares.  They accepted that and credited the room.  However the cruise has been moved to next April and the room credit for the shares wasn't.  I did have it added before I had paid off the full amount.  Since then I have bought and sold the shares 3 times.

I just phone Hargreaves Lansdowne who hold our shares and they phone P and O or Princess or Cunard and OBC is added.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Esprit said:

Same for us with our Princess cruises since about 2016. 

Glad I haven't got to dig out the share certificates, They go back to the P&O Princess days pre merger with Carnival.

No they dont I bought my Carnival shares post P&O/Princess  in September 2011 and opted for a share certificate which I still have.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/02/2021 at 10:24 AM, Son of Anarchy said:

I was under the impression that you could only apply for the shareholder OBC after paying final balance.  Live and learn...

 

I presume you get shareholder  OBC if cruise paid for by FCC

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

 

I presume you get shareholder  OBC if cruise paid for by FCC

Yes you do.

 

I just screen shot my holdings and email that in.

Link to post
Share on other sites

HBoS based share management companies will not give details of your holding to a third party e.g. Carnival,  citing GDPR - they used to in the past but won’t anymore. It’s easy enough to take a screenshot of your holding complete with name, date and share holding but with your account number etc redacted and then e-mail Carnival shareholder benefits. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm very new to shares - Could someone tell me which of these is the right one to buy to get the P&O benefits?
Carn.thumb.jpg.5d4d1bf37bc6162c3edf7e728c8d8024.jpg

 

or

 

1062121401_CarnCorp.thumb.jpg.72747fa8732e56fb7b90d73b3a6a8beb.jpg

 

So CCL or CCL.L - I don't know the difference!

Edited by reef112
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, reef112 said:

I'm very new to shares - Could someone tell me which of these is the right one to buy to get the P&O benefits?
Carn.thumb.jpg.5d4d1bf37bc6162c3edf7e728c8d8024.jpg

 

or

 

1062121401_CarnCorp.thumb.jpg.72747fa8732e56fb7b90d73b3a6a8beb.jpg

 

So CCL or CCL.L - I don't know the difference!

Its these ones

 

Carnival plc (CCL) Ordinary USD1.66

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

Its these ones

 

Carnival plc (CCL) Ordinary USD1.66

So I don't get this wrong - Of my screenshots above, it's the bottom one? (that reads CCL CARNIVAL CORP 27.59 1.28)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, reef112 said:

So I don't get this wrong - Of my screenshots above, it's the bottom one? (that reads CCL CARNIVAL CORP 27.59 1.28)

No. This is the American one quoted in dollars.

 Carnival is quoted on both the US and UK stock markets.

Carnival Corporation is the US one quoted in dollars.

Carnival PLC is the UK one quoted in pounds.

To avoid complicated exchange rates you want the UK one.

The current price is £16.86 per share so £1686 for 100 plus dealing costs and stamp duty.

This also means that dividends (when they resume), which are quoted in dollars, are automatically converted to pounds for you.


Stamp duty is 0.5% of the transaction value so around £8.43 using the above price.

Brian

Edited by BrianI
Link to post
Share on other sites

Share price is up by almost £1 per share today and the highest it's been for months.

 

A result for Carnival, burying P&O's bad news announcement on Budget day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Share price is up by almost £1 per share today and the highest it's been for months.

 

A result for Carnival, burying P&O's bad news announcement on Budget day.

Certainly does seem odd.  Cancel a load of cruises - share price goes up.  I have noticed over the last week that the share price has edged to over £17 only to fall later in the day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Certainly does seem odd.  Cancel a load of cruises - share price goes up.  I have noticed over the last week that the share price has edged to over £17 only to fall later in the day.

Currently up 7% today at £17.43 that is a 40% increase in a month, who would have thunk it, another 50 pence and they will be the same as what we bought them for somewhere in the distant past.

Link to post
Share on other sites

£2 down today and some very gloomy commentaries about “heading for junk status”

*sigh*

Just have to keep hoping it’ll work out and that the money people do their thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

£2 down today and some very gloomy commentaries about “heading for junk status”

*sigh*

Just have to keep hoping it’ll work out and that the money people do their thing.

I did ponder buying more shares when they dropped to their lowest at about £6 but hadnt got the nerve as there was no confidence that the cruise industry would survive and they say never buy shares unless you can afford to lose that money. I purchased 100 shares in 2011 at £21 per share purely for the shareholder benefit when doing 3-4 cruises a year up until the pandemic and also with the dividend I have had a lot more in value than what I paid if I lost the lot now but like all of us nobody wants to see Carnival or any other cruise company go under.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

£2 down today and some very gloomy commentaries about “heading for junk status”

*sigh*

Just have to keep hoping it’ll work out and that the money people do their thing.

Weren't they downgraded to junk status last summer? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Weren't they downgraded to junk status last summer? 

Yes they were, I am currently making double my money on shares I bought 8 months ago. They will bring back the dividend once the cruises open up again too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2021 at 4:52 PM, Eddie99 said:

£2 down today and some very gloomy commentaries about “heading for junk status”

*sigh*

Just have to keep hoping it’ll work out and that the money people do their thing.

Up by nearly £1 so far today. There seems to be little rhyme nor reason in the ups and downs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...