Jump to content

BEYOND frustrated with RCI on refund


Recommended Posts

RCI cancelled my May 2020 cruise, that I'd booked thru a TA.   At first, we elected to take the FCC, but, after not seeing any cruises we were interested in (original itinerary not being offered), we elected to take a refund instead (we had already received port taxes and The Key refund).  TA made request on 17 Nov 2020, was told it could take up to 90 days, and would likely come in segments.  

 

It's been 90 days, and then some, and we haven't seen one dime of the ~$3K each of us is owed.  TA checked today, and was told they HAVEN'T EVEN STARTED THE REFUND.  This is complete BS, and seems like a real scam to me, to hold onto peoples' $$, collecting interest.  They've had our $$ for a year now.  Multiply that by perhaps thousands of fares, and you're talking about real money.

 

RCI won't talk to me, as trip was booked thru TA.  I have emailed RCI, but who knows how long it will take for them to respond, and when they do, I'm sure it'll be the usual  'sorry, covid and all....'.  We're a year into it, that excuse doesn't fly with me.

 

Any other ideas for how to pursue this, that is more likely to get me some real action?

 

Thanks, in advance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We and our TA have argued with RCI about refunding our air fare (booked through Air2Sea) for a cruise (Aus/NZ) which was canceled. We are owed over $8K. Our TA said that RCI agreed to the refund and that it was "being processed". Once we hit 90 days out, DH called our credit card company and filed a grievance, so you might want to do that. We're still waiting and hoping to see some $$ soon! Good luck!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fortunate having Canceled about 14 Cruises since July always received Refund or FCC in 2-5weeks. Only once had call on my FCC, was there/Available just didn't get an email. These booked Direct with no TA. Not sure you picking FCC first then asked for refund after part reason, know read few cases on here Refund took longer when doing it that way. Some Refunds are just take entirely too long, not saying dont happen. I was you I'd be hounding my TA also. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trevoli said:

Multiply that by perhaps thousands of fares, and you're talking about real money.

Where does this figure come from? How do you know for sure that thousands are in the same position?

This seems dubious. At any rate, Hanlon's Razor may come into play here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We "converted" a previously issued FCC to a refund on December 21, 2020. Still waiting for $1210. 65 days. Other refunds and/or FCC's I have had in the last year have taken anywhere from 3 - 123 days, with most in the 50-65 range. 

 

mac_tlc

Link to post
Share on other sites

In a very similar scenario to you. RCI has chartered a ship in January 2022 that we were booked on. $500 deposit refund was requested in Mid-Novebmer and was told it would take 30 - 60 days. Chased after this time and was told it would take up to 90 days.

Chased again last week, TA got in touch with RCI who said refund not processed yet, but they would process it now and it'll be with me within 2 - 3 weeks. We'll see!

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

In a very similar scenario to you. RCI has chartered a ship in January 2022 that we were booked on. $500 deposit refund was requested in Mid-Novebmer and was told it would take 30 - 60 days. Chased after this time and was told it would take up to 90 days.

Chased again last week, TA got in touch with RCI who said refund not processed yet, but they would process it now and it'll be with me within 2 - 3 weeks. We'll see!


We were booked on an Oasis January 2022 cruise, that was chartered. I suspect we were on the same sailing.  We recieved our $530 refund on December 3rd. It is crazy that you have had to wait this long. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

Where does this figure come from? How do you know for sure that thousands are in the same position?

This seems dubious. At any rate, Hanlon's Razor may come into play here.

I have absolutely zero proof how many pax are in the same boat (so to speak), but, if postings I'm reading on this board, and in response to my post, are any indication, I am far from alone in this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

Fortunate having Canceled about 14 Cruises since July always received Refund or FCC in 2-5weeks. Only once had call on my FCC, was there/Available just didn't get an email. These booked Direct with no TA. Not sure you picking FCC first then asked for refund after part reason, know read few cases on here Refund took longer when doing it that way. Some Refunds are just take entirely too long, not saying dont happen. I was you I'd be hounding my TA also. 

I am in touch with my TA on this, she's doing what she can, but she keeps getting the run around.  It sounds like the 'you'll get your refund within 90 days' is just lip service.  Obviously, they know it sometimes takes longer, so I wish they'd just set appropriate expectations from the beginning.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SilkySal said:

We and our TA have argued with RCI about refunding our air fare (booked through Air2Sea) for a cruise (Aus/NZ) which was canceled. We are owed over $8K. Our TA said that RCI agreed to the refund and that it was "being processed". Once we hit 90 days out, DH called our credit card company and filed a grievance, so you might want to do that. We're still waiting and hoping to see some $$ soon! Good luck!

I am considering filing a charge dispute with my credit card.  It's complicated because I was charged for both cruise fares, when I should have been charged for my own fare only.  This was resolved, but it adds a little wrinkle.  Plus, we HAVE been refunded for the port taxes and an onboard amenity, further complicating things.  I have asked my TA for the exact amount we are each due; it's ~$3K each.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow!   I cannot imagine waiting that long for a refund.   I had 12 +/- cruises cancelled so far and the longest I waited for any refund was 3 weeks.     I was going to post the other day how impressed I was to get a refund of cruise fare and port fees/taxes in 4 business to my amex card for the last cancellation I had.       

Sorry to hear there are still some people having refund issues.    I hope there is a resolution in the near future for you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SilkySal said:

We and our TA have argued with RCI about refunding our air fare (booked through Air2Sea) for a cruise (Aus/NZ) which was canceled. We are owed over $8K. Our TA said that RCI agreed to the refund and that it was "being processed". Once we hit 90 days out, DH called our credit card company and filed a grievance, so you might want to do that. We're still waiting and hoping to see some $$ soon! Good luck!


Wow, you are very lucky if RCI agreed to refund the non-refundable air you booked.  I’m surprised your CC company agreed to file a grievance!  Hope it all works out and you get your money back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Trevoli said:

I have absolutely zero proof how many pax are in the same boat (so to speak), but, if postings I'm reading on this board, and in response to my post, are any indication, I am far from alone in this.

Probably best in future to limit your comments to your own experience. No doubt it's been frustrating for you (I'd be upset, as well), but there's no way of knowing how widespread your predicament is. While I have seen other people post about long refund times, I can't recall any where the cruise line hadn't even started on it. That seems to be an anomaly. But it's still infuriating.

I think you're on the right track by requesting a credit card dispute. Those tend to work in the passenger's favor, since they can't just stall forever. Good luck, I hope it works for you, and quickly. You've waited long enough.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

can't recall any where the cruise line hadn't even started on it. That seems to be an anomaly.

I can give you many examples of the cruise having been cancelled for a couple months and the refund not even started to be processed. 
 

unfortunately it is not an anomaly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I can give you many examples of the cruise having been cancelled for a couple months and the refund not even started to be processed. 
 

unfortunately it is not an anomaly. 

OK, name three of them. The OP mentioned thousands of people being in the position of having waited 90 days only to discover that the refund hadn't been started. That's extremely unusual, and not at all likely that 1,000s are in the same boat. It's more like a tactic people use on CC to beef up their stories to make it sound like this is commonplace, when it isn't. As I said, best to confine one's comments to one's own situation and not globalize it. Just my opinion.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

OK, name three of them. The OP mentioned thousands of people being in the position of having waited 90 days only to discover that the refund hadn't been started. That's extremely unusual, and not at all likely that 1,000s are in the same boat. It's more like a tactic people use on CC to beef up their stories to make it sound like this is commonplace, when it isn't. As I said, best to confine one's comments to one's own situation and not globalize it. Just my opinion.

 

That poster is a TA.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

OK, name three of them. The OP mentioned thousands of people being in the position of having waited 90 days only to discover that the refund hadn't been started. That's extremely unusual, and not at all likely that 1,000s are in the same boat. It's more like a tactic people use on CC to beef up their stories to make it sound like this is commonplace, when it isn't. As I said, best to confine one's comments to one's own situation and not globalize it. Just my opinion.

 

I can assure you that I have dealt with many clients refunds as well as my own where the refunds have been delayed.  I had two December Bookings where the cruise was cancelled in November and the refund process not started until The end of January.  Group bookings do get delayed and many have been close to the 3 month mark.  Groups get processed manually and as such refunds on those are often delayed, and yes there are thousands of people in groups. 
 

When Royal  announces cancellations the refund process does not begin immediately. It happens by sailing and depending on how many they cancel and how far out they are it can take a while.  As long as the cruise is showing up in your cruise planner then the sailing has not yet been cancelled on Royals end and the refund process has not yet started. 
 

while the numbers still may be small in the grand scheme of things they are more than an anomaly.
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I can assure you that I have dealt with many clients refunds as well as my own where the refunds have been delayed.  I had two December Bookings where the cruise was cancelled in November and the refund process not started until The end of January.  Group bookings do get delayed and many have been close to the 3 month mark.  Groups get processed manually and as such refunds on those are often delayed, and yes there are thousands of people in groups. 
 

When Royal  announces cancellations the refund process does not begin immediately. It happens by sailing and depending on how many they cancel and how far out they are it can take a while.  As long as the cruise is showing up in your cruise planner then the sailing has not yet been cancelled on Royals end and the refund process has not yet started. 
 

while the numbers still may be small in the grand scheme of things they are more than an anomaly.
 

 

OK, then I'll put it this way: if it happens so often, why bother to start a thread about it since it's so  normal? As I've stated before, I empathize with the OP because it's absolutely frustrating. We are in a slightly similar situation with a travel insurance company trying to get back money from a cancelled land-based vacation. I filed the paperwork on January 2 and am still waiting. It's very frustrating, but given the unprecedented number of cancellations of, well, just about everything, due to Covid, it's not surprising. I have been following up regularly and understand it's taking time, but my main quibble was with the notion of it being thousands of people. I see this "padding" of statistics all the time on social media, it doesn't seem to suffice simply to say "it happened to me," it's often followed with unsubstantiated claims of "I"m sure there are thousands just like me." Maybe, but not a sure thing. And yes, I'm a nitpicker. 😉

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My last thought is this: I wonder if the delay is simply due to the enormous number of people who have been affected. We all know Royal and the other lines have been dealing with lots of cancelled sailings, so maybe the fact that they haven't started on OP's claim after 90 days is due to the number of people ahead of him. I imagine the claims process is normally done in the order they're received, so it's possible Royal has a huge backlog. Maybe not, but since none of us works for Royal Caribbean, we wouldn't really know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Where does this figure come from? How do you know for sure that thousands are in the same position?

This seems dubious. At any rate, Hanlon's Razor may come into play here.

 

In April of 2020 RCL sent an email to affected customers apologizing for wait times extended past the posted refund timeframes. A corporation as big as RCL doesn't usually go on record like that for a tiny number of bookings. Especially a corporation like RCL that writes into the terms and conditions they can pretty much do anything they like with your booking.


"Thousands" is likely in the conversation.

 

And yes I agree fully - Hanlon's Razor comes into play with a lot of what happens at RCL in the customer facing departments.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

OK, then I'll put it this way: if it happens so often, why bother to start a thread about it since it's so  normal?

I agree that its not commonplace but it is also not a rarity.  The OP was simply looking to see if anyone else had experienced this or if they were the only ones.  While not common it does happen more than you would think just simply by reading posts here on CC.  Hopefully by hearing answers from those of us that have dealt with the actual issue it puts the OP's mind a bit more at ease.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

And yes I agree fully - Hanlon's Razor comes into play with a lot of what happens at RCL in the customer facing departments.

Not just Royal. Veterans of these boards know the same kind of stuff happens at Carnival, MSC, NCL, etc. It seems to happen all over the place.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You wont get anywhere with rccl. You just wait and wait..... IDK why people continue to book cruises. Its not happening this year. Yet people keep giving rccl money to hold and gain interest from when you can do the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites

They keep sending me free cruises, except port taxes and fees, but why even let them hold that? Prove something to me Royal and then I will send you some funds, but I'm not giving you money in hopes of a cruise! Been through that crap once and not doing it again!

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

You wont get anywhere with rccl. You just wait and wait..... IDK why people continue to book cruises. Its not happening this year. Yet people keep giving rccl money to hold and gain interest from when you can do the same.

A lot of people have reported booking now for cruises in 2022 and 2023. So yes, we're giving the cruise lines some money now, but not expecting the sailings to take place for another year or more. I think that's why people continue to book. And I agree that 2021 cruises are unlikely. We have one on the books for July but will likely cancel before final payment date, absent a miracle.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company - Celebrate Your Freedom
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...