Chances of a Kids Sail Free This Spring?

Well I’m sure everyone an CruiseCritic saw the announcements, Royal Caribbean is going to start sailing Odyssey of the Seas out of Israel in May. At this time they are going to require vaccinations for everyone 16 and older. Guess that gives us a good hint as for what’s to come. 😜

Additionally, in conjunction with Israel’s health and tourism authorities, these will be the first fully-vaccinated sailings, where both crew and guests above the age of 16 will be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to boarding. Details on the additional health and safety measures to be implemented by Israel and Royal Caribbean will be announced at a later date.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heymarco said:

Well I’m sure everyone an CruiseCritic saw the announcements, Royal Caribbean is going to start sailing Odyssey of the Seas out of Israel in May. At this time they are going to require vaccinations for everyone 16 and older. Guess that gives us a good hint as for what’s to come. 😜

Additionally, in conjunction with Israel’s health and tourism authorities, these will be the first fully-vaccinated sailings, where both crew and guests above the age of 16 will be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to boarding. Details on the additional health and safety measures to be implemented by Israel and Royal Caribbean will be announced at a later date.

The more I read it the more I think they'll only allow people 16 and over to cruise out of Israel. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

The more I read it the more I think they'll only allow people 16 and over to cruise out of Israel. 

Hmm, interesting. If Q&A doesn’t speak to it, maybe we can try a mock booking tomorrow. Hopefully they won’t take reservations for people not allowed to sail. 🙄

• Like 3

Just now, Heymarco said:

Hmm, interesting. If Q&A doesn’t speak to it, maybe we can try a mock booking tomorrow. Hopefully they won’t take reservations for people not allowed to sail. 🙄

If it's billing itself as a fully vaccinated cruise then I would say they are not allowing kids under 16 or else it is NOT a fully vaccinated cruise.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, molly361 said:

If it's billing itself as a fully vaccinated cruise then I would say they are not allowing kids under 16 or else it is NOT a fully vaccinated cruise.  

That's what I was thinking as well.....but....why qualify with an age? 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

That's what I was thinking as well.....but....why qualify with an age? 

Possibly because the vaccines currently available in Israel are only available for those over the age of 16.  Of course the 15 and under segment can be spindoctored either way.  Possibly allowed on board with no vaccinations or not allowed on board at all.

Edited by SNJCruisers
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

If that was the case they wouldn't have mentioned the age group. They would have just said "these will be the first fully-vaccinated sailings, where both crew and guests will be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to boarding"

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Possibly because the vaccines currently available in Israel are only available for those over the age of 16.  Of course the 15 and under segment can be spindoctored either way.  Possibly allowed on board with no vaccinations or not allowed on board at all.

So the statement may mean that anyone who is approved to get the vaccine must do so in order to cruise, and kids under 16 are exempt. Makes sense really. Unvaccinated kids shouldn't be an issue if everyone else on board is vaccinated.

There's also a second part of Royal's statement that we're forgetting. "Details on the additional health and safety measures to be implemented by Israel and Royal Caribbean will be announced at a later date". So there will be other measures in place anyway.....ie masks, social distancing, etc etc. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

If that was the case they wouldn't have mentioned the age group. They would have just said "these will be the first fully-vaccinated sailings, where both crew and guests will be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to boarding"

Yeah, I think you're right. They probably mentioned the age because that's the vaccine is only approved for those 16 and older. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Yeah, I think you're right. They probably mentioned the age because that's the vaccine is only approved for those 16 and older. 

I do agree it needs clarification, especially for as sensitive as the topic of vaccines is.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I read it in the way that it’s fully vaccinated for those 16 and above. It’s more of a disclaimer. Aka, worlds largest beach... on a river. 🤣 

Edited by Heymarco
  • Haha 1

On 2/25/2021 at 3:26 PM, Pandamonia said:

I still dont understand the logic of why Kids need to be vaccinated when all the adults are. The vaccine prevents 95% of symptomatic infection after 2 doses.

I don't understand the logic of why kids DON'T need to be vaccinated when al the adults are. Those un-vaccinated kids leave a huge gap in the protection of everyone on board.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2021 at 4:47 PM, lizzius said:

Even now I think it's as low 250 out of 500k total deaths. Meanwhile, 10 people over 60 died from COVID *post vaccination* in Israel in the last two weeks. 

One can still contract Covid in the interim of the two weeks after the second shot. Some people do not realize they do not reach full immunity right away after the second shot and don't continue maintain wearing a mask and distancing from others. So, yes, people have contracted Covid and have died after their second shot of the vaccine.

On 2/25/2021 at 5:08 PM, smokeybandit said:

Or maybe they just understand the science of the whole thing.  And the bean counters will rely on science, too, not paranoia that people have thinking they'll catch and die of covid if they happen to merely see an unvaccinated kid.

My son's school district has been open full time since August. Kids 10 and under don't wear masks. They don't stay 6 feet apart because that's impossible.

Guess how many in-school covid transmissions there have been: ZERO

If this is really true, why haven't other school districts opened up to in person learning 100%? I would love to see all kids back in the classroom for full in-person learning sessions but that does not seem to be happening all over the country.

On 2/26/2021 at 12:00 AM, Heymarco said:

I don’t get why people choose family cruise lines if they don’t like families? Maybe stay away from Disney, RCI, and Carnival. I hear HAL is nice and quiet.

But....HAL doesn't have bumper cars and water slides. I may be old but I still enjoy those things on ships.

1 hour ago, coffeebean said:

I don't understand the logic of why kids DON'T need to be vaccinated when al the adults are. Those un-vaccinated kids leave a huge gap in the protection of everyone on board.

That is not how it works. I dont know why this is so hard to understand. The vaccine protects YOU. One dose cuts hospitalisations by 80%+ after 1 dose. 2 is over 95%. Deaths are extremely rare and mostly people who are very unhealthy and immune compromised but also they dont track those deaths accurately either. 

You will not die from covid because a kid has a mild covid infection. If you are really unlucky you might get a mild symptomatic infection or a totally asymptomatic infection which is basically another word for no infection at all. 

let me explain something to you. A cruise ship will never be a sterile environment and neither is anywhere else you go in life. better get used to it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tcrandal said:

This thread really is just mindless bickering with very few comments on the original topic. 

"What are the chances of a KSF this spring?"  

Royal has been hemorrhaging money for 51 weeks and whenever cruising does resume it will be at a reduced capacity.  Using up a certain percentage of those reduced occupants with a non revenue group does not make economic sense. Connect the dots and you have your answer.

We will now return to our original programming consisting of arguing about vaccines and what not.

1 minute ago, SNJCruisers said:

"What are the chances of a KSF this spring?"  

Royal has been hemorrhaging money for 51 weeks and whenever cruising does resume it will be at a reduced capacity.  Using up a certain percentage of those reduced occupants with a non revenue group does not make economic sense. Connect the dots and you have your answer.

We will now return to our original programming consisting of arguing about vaccines and what not.

I wish they were non revenue. I could afford to cruise more often. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Billy Baltic said:

I wish they were non revenue. I could afford to cruise more often. 

I understand where you are coming from but bottom line is, they don't drink, don't gamble, don't buy "art" - the high profit centers for cruise ships.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mek said:

I understand where you are coming from but bottom line is, they don't drink, don't gamble, don't buy "art" - the high profit centers for cruise ships.

That describes plenty of adults as well, especially those who have reached the high loyalty ranks and get free drinks each night. 

9 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I read that article and couldn’t decide if that was the case or not.  The way it’s worded, either interpretation could be accurate.  

im just wondering how much of an interest in cruising the Israeli population has.  Is there pent up demand like in China, or is this gonna be the test that basically ends cruising as we know it?

• LauraS locked this topic