The Daily for Thursday Feb 25, 2021

richwmn

Today is Pistol Patent Day, National Chocolate-Covered Peanuts Day, and Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day

Meal suggestion for today - Pressure-Cooker Saucy Italian Chicken

Drink of the Day - Diamonds Are Forever

Wine of the day - Ruinart Blanc de Blancs Brut - France - Sparkling

At Sea Eng Channel
Oosterdam destination Torquay

at Sea Pacific
Westerdam

Brest FR
Eurodam

Half Moon Cay
Nieuw Statendam

La Paz
Noordam
Zuiderdam
Nieuw Amsterdam

Los Angeles
Koningsdam

Portland
Zaandam

Torquay
Volendam

0225West.thumb.png.8038b7189b2b79b13563d206b8e1fde7.png

0225LaPaz.thumb.png.4132de77b779a257cb54d29cecf76b3a.png

0225Bahamas.thumb.png.70356db74f5921619da1561f6310882c.png

0225Eng.thumb.png.9b2a2888aa72a7903496b39f5c45ea0c.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Love the maps.

Love chocolate covered peanuts, I'll put them on my shopping list, good idea.

Don't know much about pistol patents.  My neighbour is an engineer, but neither of her daughters followed her in that field.

I don't have a pressure cooker so I'll have to think of something else for dinner.

Looking forward to reading about the wine and the Drink of the Day.

Have a wonderful Thursday.

Stay safe.

• Like 21

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  I'm surprised that there are patents on pistols as they've been around forever.  I tend to keep my chocolate and my peanuts separate.  We need more girls in Engineering.  The meal sounds nice but my alternative is Chilled Apricot Soup with Snow Egg, Parmesan Crusted Veal Loin, and Strawberry Crisp as served on MS Koningsdam February 25, 2017.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/dishes25.jpg

A warm spell in Baltimore, overnight low about 45F.

Today's care list:

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH recovering from surgery and facing chemo

Vict0uann’s cousin with falling

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs complete for Seasick Sailor, highland cruiser, XBguy and USN59-79

Appointment for Live4cruises DH

HorizonChaser1957 with first report of a jab in Canada (Montreal)

This community

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the information. Even though it needs some thorough study, I am sure that it mihgt be of help to manhy people. I always liked those who make informative posts with added screenshots and photos. Thank you very much for it once again 

• Like 11

I'm going to play a bit fast and loose with the International Dateline today with posts from both February 25 and 26 from last year's Crystal Serenity world cruise.  Today's sunrise is from the Crystal Serenity.  On February 25 we visited Akaroa,  New Zealand.  The photo worked best in vertical mode but we shared the port with the Maasdam, and I got my first view of that ship just as the sun was rising:

Rdawn0225.jpg

Now that I think about it, this is likely also my last view of the Maasdam as a HAL ship.

Roy

• Like 30

47 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  I'm surprised that there are patents on pistols as they've been around forever.  I tend to keep my chocolate and my peanuts separate.  We need more girls in Engineering.  The meal sounds nice but my alternative is Chilled Apricot Soup with Snow Egg, Parmesan Crusted Veal Loin, and Strawberry Crisp as served on MS Koningsdam February 25, 2017.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/dishes25.jpg

A warm spell in Baltimore, overnight low about 45F.

Today's care list:

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH recovering from surgery and facing chemo

Vict0uann’s cousin with falling

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs complete for Seasick Sailor, highland cruiser, XBguy and USN59-79

Appointment for Live4cruises DH

HorizonChaser1957 with first report of a jab in Canada (Montreal)

This community

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Is Mrs. VMax finished with Chemo?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

One year ago on February 26 (That's today in New Zealand) the Crystal Serenity visited Dunedin.  I was met mid-morning at the terminal by @erewhon for brunch and some touring.  On the way into the city we took a tour through the university:

univ.jpg

Brunch was at a restaurant (Luna) with a spectacular view.

lunaview.jpg

I chose French Toast with lots of breakfast for my brunch:

brunch1.JPG.34905af4402cd2809ac0366f803ede81.JPG

brunch2.JPG.26666b3648f19b55fbc4a9eb8e099f38.JPG

After brunch @erewhon assisted me in a long stymied task of replacing a broken shoe lace.  I think the store was a Countdown and he found the right display immediately.  I am still using those shoe laces.

Before returning to the ship we did some more touring including Signal Hill which had both beautiful views and a monument commemorating New Zealand's Centennial:

signalhill.jpg

Our final stop was an overlook for a birds eye view of my ship:

birdseye.jpg

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the daily, thanks for the updates.  Love chocolate covered peanuts.

Hope and comfort to those struggling, kudos to those who are recovering and those that keep us safe and healthy.  

Today's hikes are to the churches' community gardens to see how they weathered the winter storm.  

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 15

Yesterday's hike was to the duck pond at the large city park.  One of our favorite ducks, "Old Broken Wing", was no where to be seen.  We are hoping he made it through the storm.  We will keep you updated on his reappearance.  That duck just loves DH and the goodies in DH's pocket

• Like 15

Good morning, everyone!   

I slept really well last night and made up for the night before.   The temperature was in the 50s yesterday, so a lot of snow melting.   It is almost gone in my front yard.  That means I'll have to get out there and pick up the cigarette butts left by the siding crew.  Fortunately, they all seem to be in one place.

Today's recipe sounds good.  There are directions for a slow cooker as well as a pressure cooker.  Since I don't have a pressure cooker, I'd probably go the slow cooker way.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pressure-cooker-saucy-italian-chicken/

Off to the pool!

Pressure Cooker Saucy Italian Chicken Recipe.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Really sunny here this morning.  Love Chocolate covered peanuts and this girl learned about engineering when she married one!  The meal sounds delicious, will wait for Debbie's recipe.  Prayers and shout outs to our lists.  Continued prayers that everyone gets their jabs.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Diamonds are forever:

INGREDIENTS
2 1⁄2ounces bombay sapphire gin

1 splash scotch

1 -2  olives
DIRECTIONS
Add gin and scotch to a cocktail shaker filled with crushed ice.
Stir (or shaken vigorously).
Pour into a well-chilled martini glass.
Garnish with olives.

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 7.28.23 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂

An interesting collection of days.  There’s one pile of patents out there.  I wonder why the pistol’s gets a special day?

The meal suggestion sounds interesting.  Liked @dfishI don’t have a pressure cooker either but may try it in the slow cooker if the chicken I took out of the freezer last night is thawed.

That drink sounds good @summer slope thanks as always for the description.  The wine sounds hopeful too - looking forward to @cat shepard’s analysis.

Well the weatherman was wrong again.  Last time we were supposed to have a few flurries and then rain and we got a serious snow dump.  Last night we were supposed to have a major snow storm and it ended up being all rain.  Hoping it doesn’t freeze too soon - it will be deadly out there. 😞 

The interesting chatter about drinking/not drinking pre and post vaccine yesterday reminded me that for those that want to abstain for a few days, I have the perfect suggestion:

E0C769BD-73CC-477F-86C0-B62C70FFB944.thumb.jpeg.f89cccee138b76f5ab74e35a84ef65e3.jpeg

I thought this was pretty true when I saw it the other day:

5E553E28-4B77-42CD-B069-DD45E2E78907.jpeg.db38a2fdddce71074717dfc5632685e0.jpeg

News of the cruise cancellations to Canada was not unexpected but still sad.  Let’s hope we can turn the corner soon and enjoy our travels again soon.🤞 

67E2FD69-9E53-4E23-B1AC-CF0932E07C0F.jpeg.25ec6051450e72379700065b930485df.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and a toast to those on the on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Thursday everyone.  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 28
  • Haha 1

“Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day” is the reason for my first post. Our eldest grandchild is in her 3rd year of Chemical Engineering. Her Dad (DS) and Grandad (DH) are looking forward to presenting her with her iron ring when she graduates. 

I read this thread every morning and appreciate the pictures, recipes, memes and information shared. Mostly though it’s the caring and kindness that shines through.

I do have one complaint this morning, sorry, and that is that I don’t want to read any more comments about your snow disappearing. Ours will be around until April! 🙄😀

• Like 21

1 minute ago, Divi said:

“Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day” is the reason for my first post. Our eldest grandchild is in her 3rd year of Chemical Engineering. Her Dad (DS) and Grandad (DH) are looking forward to presenting her with her iron ring when she graduates. 

I read this thread every morning and appreciate the pictures, recipes, memes and information shared. Mostly though it’s the caring and kindness that shines through.

I do have one complaint this morning, sorry, and that is that I don’t want to read any more comments about your snow disappearing. Ours will be around until April! 🙄😀

Welcome to the Daily 🙂

Here’s hoping our groundhogs were right and spring comes early and your snow disappears quickly (without causing flooding of course 😉 )

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Divi said:

Welcome to posting on the Daily.

Roy

• Like 8

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! An interesting combo of days. I really appreciate your maps, since it seems they will be the closest I get to a Dam ship for quite awhile!

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. I admit, I never suspected you of being one to “play fast and loose” with anything! I really love your pics! And it is very special to see @erewhonin them. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Joy, hope you suffer no bad reaction to your second dose. 

🤔 we seem to be missing a quote. Anyone have words of wisdom she/he would like to share? Love the meal idea! @dfishthanks for the heads up about the slow cooker option! Pass on the drink. It is another gorgeous day in the neighborhood. And Roy, my overnight temp hit 49.

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

I think this wine might be my splurge to celebrate the winning of the war against the virus. I will have some time to save my pennies. A bit over my budget, but it has excellent ratings! Many online distributors with prices starting at $59.88.  
Winemaker Notes

The wine shows a superb, golden yellow color with a beautiful luminosity and a fine and persistent mousse. The nose is clean and intense with warm, rich notes of brioche, French toast and roasted almonds. On the palate the wine is very supple and harmonious, with notes of honey and minerals on the long, sustained finish. Ruinart Blanc de Blancs is produced from a blend of 100% premiers crus Chardonnay grapes from the best of recent vintages. Grapes from the estate vineyards in Sillery and Brimont (ancestral home of the Ruinart family) are joined by carefully selected grapes from other premiers crus vineyards in the Côte de Blancs and the Montagne de Reims.

WS93 Wine Spectator: A graceful Champagne, sleek and finely knit, with a subtle range of nectarine, lemon curd, almond blossom and ground ginger flavors, expanding on the silky mousse. Offers a lingering, mineral-laced finish. Drink now through 2024. 
WE92 Wine Enthusiast: Ruinart is a Chardonnay house, so this wine can be considered one of its signature cuvées. With some bottle age, it is crisp while also toasty with secondary flavors that are balancing the apple and citrus fruits. The wine is well balanced, the soft aftertaste still in keeping with its crisper, textured flavors.

• Like 24

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

There’s one pile of patents out there.  I wonder why the pistol’s gets a special day?

In looking for an answer to this, all I found was -

Samuel Colt invented the pistol. He received Patent # 138 for it on this day in 1836. The patent was for the Colt Revolver with a rotating chamber containing six bullets.

Why the shout out for this and not others? Don't know.

I also found this, a bit more up beat.

Birthdays today -

• 1943 George Harrison

English singer-songwriter, guitarist, producer

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1