Jump to content

Alaska 2021 Cancelled


jhannah
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just learned that Princess (and Holland America) have cancelled all of this year's sailings to Alaska. How sad Canada powers-that-be are doing this! It's hurting so many people, in Canada as well as Alaska. If you want to move your booking to 2022, better do it quickly before those sailings fill up.) have cancelled all of this year's sailings to Alaska. How sad Canada powers-that-be is doing this! It's hurting so many people, in Canada as well as Alaska. If you want to move your booking to 2022, better do it quickly before those sailings fill up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We already had booked  the  10 night R/T from  San Francisco   Alaska with Glacier Bay sailing    on Ruby  Princess a while ago  . this will be our 6th Alaska sailing & we also have done the interior of Alaska on our own ,no ships extra tour ,saving considerable money .

 

 Right now if we were doing Alaska in 2021 I would recommend flying into anchorage & renting a car  .Prices go to be rock bottom for rentals as well as the hotels because lack of thousands from no cruise ships  .Imo best place to stay in & around Denali National park is the AAA 3 Diamond bed ^ breakfast Denali Lake view Inn . We  stayed 5 nights  ,3 going toward Fairbanks & 2 nights back from Fairbanks .got magnificent pictures of My McKinley 2 summits ,north & South 

 

 Don't forget to  google discount books in Alaska   .Also make sure you have 200 & 300 millimeter camera ,lens to pull in scenery & animals in the wild . booking the tour in Denali National park .do it 7 months in advance , for this season may be able to get in now because lack of people on ships .

 

 Anchorage  see the Alaska wolves only at their Zoo  .Can't usually see these creatures in the wild . Fairbanks a must see is the museum at the University of Alaska

 

 May is a great month to get to the interior or early June .when the tundra thaws out mosquitos  are abundant as are black flies  . We had great weather in mid to late May  ;but ,when packing use layer clothes because the weather can change quickly .Daylight most hours  ,Need black out  curtains to sleep   .Definitely bring umbrella or ponchos  .hiking boots if hiking  or normal sneakers if not  are fine  .do bring bug spray in case 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, jhannah said:

Just learned that Princess (and Holland America) have cancelled all of this year's sailings to Alaska. How sad Canada powers-that-be are doing this! It's hurting so many people, in Canada as well as Alaska. If you want to move your booking to 2022, better do it quickly before those sailings fill up.) have cancelled all of this year's sailings to Alaska. How sad Canada powers-that-be is doing this! It's hurting so many people, in Canada as well as Alaska. If you want to move your booking to 2022, better do it quickly before those sailings fill up.

 

So why don't you just fly to Florida and get on one of the cruises operating out of the USA????    

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, BlameCanada said:

 

So why don't you just fly to Florida and get on one of the cruises operating out of the USA????    

Planning on it. Thank you for the suggestion.
Sometime before the end of the year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually, Canada is not preventing you from cruising to Alaska, the United States law, PVSA, is the reason.  Without your law, you could cruise round trip from Seattle to Alaska, with no Canadian stops, all season.  Canada would be happy and you would be happy.  Unfortunately, Canada has no authority to suspend a US law....that’s up to you.  You need an act of Congress.  Canada is just putting it’s citizen’s health and safety first, as does the US, I would hope.

  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jhannah said:

If you want to move your booking to 2022, better do it quickly before those sailings fill up.) have cancelled all of this year's sailings to Alaska.

In today’s webinar with the Princess VP of sales it was stated that within the next 30 days all canceled 2021 Alaska cruises will be moved to 2022 bookings. If anyone has made final payment the price will be the same in 2022 however not for those who only have a deposit.

 

After the bookings are transferred to next year passengers have the option to make changes within 30 days to move it either a week before or after the new date. If deciding to cancel then can get refunds or a 10% bonus FCC along with 100% FCC of the cruise fare.

 

A link to another thread with more details about the options for canceled Alaskan cruises (also 2021 coastal cruises that include Vancouver & a UK cruise that included Canada).

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jhannah said:

Just learned that Princess (and Holland America) have cancelled all of this year's sailings to Alaska. How sad Canada powers-that-be are doing this! It's hurting so many people, in Canada as well as Alaska. 

Canada isn't doing this to hurt people, they are trying to save people. They are doing a much better job than the U.S., 59 deaths per 100M vs 154 in the U.S.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As LadyArwen and BlameCanada states - and I will rehash it as a proud Canadian - why blame Canada. It is an AMERICAN law that prevents cruises from operating round trip without a foreign stop, or from operating cruises to nowhere.

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bgwest said:

Planning on it. Thank you for the suggestion.
Sometime before the end of the year. 

 

Why not in April when the Alaska cruise season normally starts?   Can you elaborate on why it won't be until the end of the year?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, RD64 said:

As LadyArwen and BlameCanada states - and I will rehash it as a proud Canadian - why blame Canada. It is an AMERICAN law that prevents cruises from operating round trip without a foreign stop, or from operating cruises to nowhere.

 Because it’s just so easy to blame someone else and shift the responsibility to them.  However, Canadians are a pretty savvy bunch of folks and we know what’s really happening.  I just keep on smiling!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, BlameCanada said:

 

Why not in April when the Alaska cruise season normally starts?   Can you elaborate on why it won't be until the end of the year?  

Sure. Because the cruises from summer onward we have booked aren’t going to Alaska.
 

You suggested “flying to Florida and get on one of the cruises operating out of the USA”.  
 

That’s what we will be doing.
 

Kinda silly to suggest sailing to Alaska from a Florida port but if that’s what floats your boat, happy sailing! We’ll be content sailing elsewhere. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's cute you think cruises will be sailing anywhere within North America this summer but I'll play along. You can blame YOUR gov't for the PVSA or you could just admit we are in a pandemic and blame Covid. But blaming Canada is laughable. Sorry NOT SORRY.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Isn't Representative Don Young (R) working on temporary work-around where round-trip cruises from Alaska and Washington will not have to visit a foreign port.  It is only a temporary solution.  However, this does not include California so the Princess and Carnival r/t cruises from San Francisco will still fall under the old law.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jhannah said:

Just learned that Princess (and Holland America) have cancelled all of this year's sailings to Alaska. How sad Canada powers-that-be are doing this! It's hurting so many people, in Canada as well as Alaska. If you want to move your booking to 2022, better do it quickly before those sailings fill up.) have cancelled all of this year's sailings to Alaska. How sad Canada powers-that-be is doing this! It's hurting so many people, in Canada as well as Alaska. If you want to move your booking to 2022, better do it quickly before those sailings fill up.

How sad Australia is not letting ship cruise it is hurting so many people in the south pacific

How sad New Zealand is not letting ships cruise

How sad the US is not letting ships cruise yet

How sad Japan is not letting ships cruise

How sad Europe is restricting cruise ships to only local registered lines.

 

How sad

How sad

How sad

 

It is not all about Canada or the CDC, most countries around the world have restrictions involving cruise ships and will continue to do so until the infection rates drop considerably.

 

 

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Kinda silly to suggest sailing to Alaska from a Florida port but if that’s what floats your boat, happy sailing! We’ll be content sailing elsewhere. 

 

But no where near as silly as to BLAME CANADA for protectionist American legislation.   

BTW, the Florida suggestion was to allow you to admit that there are no cruises operating out of any USA port but then again, its much easier to BLAME CANADA than to acknowledge the cruise industry probably won't resume operations until Q4

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, nocl said:

How sad Australia is not letting ship cruise it is hurting so many people in the south pacific

How sad New Zealand is not letting ships cruise

How sad the US is not letting ships cruise yet

How sad Japan is not letting ships cruise

How sad Europe is restricting cruise ships to only local registered lines.

 

How sad

How sad

How sad

 

It is not all about Canada or the CDC, most countries around the world have restrictions involving cruise ships and will continue to do so until the infection rates drop considerably.

 

 

Well done!  You hit the nail on the head.  I really did laugh out loud, thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BlameCanada said:

 

But no where near as silly as to BLAME CANADA for protectionist American legislation.   

BTW, the Florida suggestion was to allow you to admit that there are no cruises operating out of any USA port but then again, its much easier to BLAME CANADA than to acknowledge the cruise industry probably won't resume operations until Q4

Spot on! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bcwife76 said:

It's cute you think cruises will be sailing anywhere within North America this summer but I'll play along. You can blame YOUR gov't for the PVSA or you could just admit we are in a pandemic and blame Covid. But blaming Canada is laughable. Sorry NOT SORRY.

I fully expect to sail to the Caribbean from PE before the year is out. 

Please tell me what in blazes you think our itinerary has to do with with the PVSA or with Canada. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cali Viajera said:

How about American Cruise Lines? We have a Mississippi cruise booked for this summer. American flagged, American staffed. Any ideas?

Do they carry less than 250 passengers and crew?  If they are under that size than the CDC restrictions would not apply.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

In today’s webinar with the Princess VP of sales it was stated that within the next 30 days all canceled 2021 Alaska cruises will be moved to 2022 bookings. If anyone has made final payment the price will be the same in 2022 however not for those who only have a deposit.

 

After the bookings are transferred to next year passengers have the option to make changes within 30 days to move it either a week before or after the new date. If deciding to cancel then can get refunds or a 10% bonus FCC along with 100% FCC of the cruise fare.

 

A link to another thread with more details about the options for canceled Alaskan cruises (also 2021 coastal cruises that include Vancouver & a UK cruise that included Canada).

 

 

Do you have to be in the travel Business like a T/A to join one of these webinars?
 

Tom😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, trbarton said:

Do you have to be in the travel Business like a T/A to join one of these webinars?
 

Tom😀

They’re created to update TAs so they can inform their clients.
 

Although anyone can watch it live or a recording on the Princess VP of Sales Facebook page without signing in or having a FB account.

 

https://facebook.com/PrincessVPSales/videos/1945946112210091?elqTrackId=9290859E2709B0ABE40DA6B71A931B8C&elqaid=517&elqat=2

Edited by Astro Flyer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do they carry less than 250 passengers and crew?  If they are under that size than the CDC restrictions would not apply.

Yes, they are going to carry 75% capacity, have a doctor on board who can do Covid testing and isolate anyone who tests positive during sailing, and we must have a negative Covid test 4 days before embarking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...