Alaska 2021 Cancelled

jhannah

1 hour ago, Astro Flyer said:

They’re created to update TAs so they can inform their clients.

Although anyone can watch it live or a recording on the Princess VP of Sales Facebook page without signing in or having a FB account.

https://facebook.com/PrincessVPSales/videos/1945946112210091?elqTrackId=9290859E2709B0ABE40DA6B71A931B8C&elqaid=517&elqat=2

Thank you very much. 

Tom😀

4 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

They’re created to update TAs so they can inform their clients.

Although anyone can watch it live or a recording on the Princess VP of Sales Facebook page without signing in or having a FB account.

https://facebook.com/PrincessVPSales/videos/1945946112210091?elqTrackId=9290859E2709B0ABE40DA6B71A931B8C&elqaid=517&elqat=2

Nothing Princess related at this link if you click on it.

Works for Princess if you copy and paste link.

Princess indicates in their Alaska cancellations release that they will automatically rebook passengers on the same cruise for 2022.  The question that occurs to me is that those cruises for 2022 are already available for booking and at least partially filled.  Therefore, where will those rebooked passengers go?  Will they bump passengers already reserved for 2022 sailings? I wouldn't think so.

Seems like there has been a letter sent to the Canadian Ambassador from Congress committee.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24458-congress-asks-canada-for-cruising-compromise.html

Looks to me to be a reasonable request.  Allow the ship to port but not disembark.  Will see where that goes.   It might be a moot point if the CDC does not make a decision soon....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, deadzone1003 said:

Isn't Representative Don Young (R) working on temporary work-around where round-trip cruises from Alaska and Washington will not have to visit a foreign port.  It is only a temporary solution.  However, this does not include California so the Princess and Carnival r/t cruises from San Francisco will still fall under the old law.

There probably are a lot of Congressmen and Senators who believe that there are things than need to be done that have a lot more priority than Alaskan cruises. They are not about to drop everything else to take this up. And even if this passed, there are still the CDC guidelines and also remember the environmental suit to take into account.

13 minutes ago, tert333 said:

Seems like there has been a letter sent to the Canadian Ambassador from Congress committee.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24458-congress-asks-canada-for-cruising-compromise.html

Looks to me to be a reasonable request.  Allow the ship to port but not disembark.  Will see where that goes.   It might be a moot point if the CDC does not make a decision soon....

In my opinion, not a reasonable request at all.  Why should Canada change its rules/regulations/orders because an existing US law complicates cruising to Alaska?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, d9704011 said:

In my opinion, not a reasonable request at all.  Why should Canada change its rules/regulations/orders because an existing US law complicates cruising to Alaska?

I understand your point, but countries are supposed to work together and compromise.  We have had a very close relationship with the US until recently and it is time to get back to where we were.   Anybody who watches CNN has gained a lot around US politics and ability to change laws.   If we can make it easier through a modification to an order, why not do it. 

36 minutes ago, tert333 said:

I understand your point, but countries are supposed to work together and compromise.  We have had a very close relationship with the US until recently and it is time to get back to where we were.   Anybody who watches CNN has gained a lot around US politics and ability to change laws.   If we can make it easier through a modification to an order, why not do it. 

I really do get what you’re saying and if only we could get back to the way things were pre-Covid, it would be a blessing for both countries.  However, I think that the onus is on the US to temporarily suspend the PVSA law, not on Canada to modify our safety protocols.  That being said, if Canada would allow cruiseships safe passage through our waters, without passengers or crew disembarking, then I would be okay with that, as would most Canadians.  It’s in the hands of both our governments now and we’ll just have to wait and see what develops.  Time will tell.

14 hours ago, BlameCanada said:

But no where near as silly as to BLAME CANADA for protectionist American legislation.   

BTW, the Florida suggestion was to allow you to admit that there are no cruises operating out of any USA port but then again, its much easier to BLAME CANADA than to acknowledge the cruise industry probably won't resume operations until Q4

Would you please show me (copy/paste is fine) where I’m blaming Canada or anyone else for anything?

Edited by Bgwest

1 hour ago, tert333 said:

Why not do it?  Well, let’s examine why the Government of Canada thought it was necessary to do it in the first place.  Restricting access to Canadian waters (and, by extension, ports) reduces the possibility that an infection will be spread from/to the ship.  So, it’s fundamentally an issue of protecting public health, primarily that of Canadians and the potential impact on Canadian health care resources.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tert333 said:

I understand your point, but countries are supposed to work together and compromise.  We have had a very close relationship with the US until recently and it is time to get back to where we were.   

I like to base my conclusions on the basis of facts. At the beginning of pandemic, Canada had no plan to close the border with USA. Theresa Tam admitted that Public Health thought that Canada and USA would both get the disease. Why bother?

In the first wave, the death rate for Canada and USA were pretty similar. But, Canada did close its border on March 21st. During the summer, Canada's death rate diverged from the USA.

Has been different since then. In fact, in the last week, looks like the divergence will widen(?). What's the point of allowing cruising when the border will remain closed? 

IMHO, Government of Canada is finally making realistic decisions. Ban cruising till  early 2022.

Global new deaths per capita Feb 26 USA Canada.JPG

Edited by HappyInVan

7 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

I like to base my conclusions on the basis of facts. At the beginning of pandemic, Canada had no plan to close the border with USA. Theresa Tam admitted that Public Health thought that Canada and USA would both get the disease. Why bother?

In the first wave, the death rate for Canada and USA were pretty similar. But, Canada did close its border on March 21st. During the summer, Canada's death rate diverged from the USA.

Has been different since then. In fact, in the last week, looks like the divergence will widen(?). What's the point of allowing cruising when the border will remain closed? 

IMHO, Government of Canada is finally making realistic decisions. Ban cruising till  early 2022.

What’s a smiley to do when his charts and graphs show declining numbers?

Surely the sky is still falling.......somewhere. 

4 hours ago, kitty2264 said:

Princess indicates in their Alaska cancellations release that they will automatically rebook passengers on the same cruise for 2022.  The question that occurs to me is that those cruises for 2022 are already available for booking and at least partially filled.  Therefore, where will those rebooked passengers go?  Will they bump passengers already reserved for 2022 sailings? I wouldn't think so.

The automatic transfer of cruises/cruise tours to 2022 only applies to those who have paid in full. Since few people have been required to make final payment for the canceled cruises in this new pause then the automatic rebooking won’t apply to many passengers. Most passengers have likely only paid a deposit & will automatically receive a 100% FCC of their cruise fare (deposit) plus 10% bonus FCC or they can request a refund.

FA542357-8FEB-4EA3-A2FE-1B784BF8485F.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer

9 hours ago, caribill said:

Nothing Princess related at this link if you click on it.

Works for Princess if you copy and paste link.

Not sure what’s your problem because when I click on that link it opens a new window with the recording of yesterday’s webinar about the new pause on the Princess VP of Sales FB page. 

I know how to copy & paste which is exactly what I did in my post.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Thank you, it is indeed interesting

• Thanks 1

Can someone clarify - I thought that Princess has only cancelled the cruises to/from Vancouver thus far for 2021?  We are scheduled to sail out of Seattle May 23.  Honestly, I do hope it's cancelled.  I do not want to sail right now with being required to wear a mask and all of the other restrictions.

2 minutes ago, LHARTWICK said:

Can someone clarify - I thought that Princess has only cancelled the cruises to/from Vancouver thus far for 2021?  We are scheduled to sail out of Seattle May 23.  Honestly, I do hope it's cancelled.  I do not want to sail right now with being required to wear a mask and all of the other restrictions.

why wouldn't you cancel ??? just for the 10% bonus FCC ??

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LHARTWICK said:

You are correct.  The Seattle cruises are still showing, pending the outcome of Canada/US negotiations.  However, I would not bet the bank these cruises will actually sail.  As for the other restrictions, who knows what they will be, only time will tell.  We’ve cancelled all of our cruises for 2021 and rebooked for 2022.  Hoping that with everyone onboard being vaccinated and negative covid testing, some of the restrictions will be eliminated.

5 minutes ago, LHARTWICK said:

Seattle cruises to Alaska have not yet been cancelled as the cruise companies are trying to work with regulators and legislators to have a workaround for the PVSA Act which requires a visit to a foreign port for that itinerary.

8 minutes ago, LHARTWICK said:

In yesterday’s Princess webinar they said Seattle cruises haven’t been canceled yet in the hope that they get a PVSA waiver to not go to a Canadian port which apparently is unlikely to occur.

Currently these are the cruises canceled in the 2/24/21 pause.

4DC3882C-D0C6-4D18-B594-4D0289FC1F58.jpeg

35 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Not sure what’s your problem because when I click on that link it opens a new window with the recording of yesterday’s webinar about the new pause on the Princess VP of Sales FB page. 

I know how to copy & paste which is exactly what I did in my post.

Not sure what my problem is either. When I click on the provided link it brings me to https://m.facebook.com/watch/?ref=watch_permalink

When I copy the provided link and paste it brings me to 

5 hours ago, tert333 said:

Looks to me to be a reasonable request.  Allow the ship to port but not disembark. 

Yes, it does say "The congressmen suggested permitting within the next issued Interim Order cruise ships stop at Canadian ports without disembarking passengers, meeting the requirements of U.S. maritime law, as a solution."

But that would not meet the requirements of the PVSA Act which has been determined to require passengers be allowed to disembark at the port.

Don't look to Canada for a solution to this American problem.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, LHARTWICK said:

Here’s the latest info from Princess. 

image.thumb.png.46e3450b9b3bf13348b784ed4ca22e8f.png

The way I see it, the issue lies with both countries. The USA has the restrictive law and the botched Covid reactions ( nameless!) from last year. As the numbers have greatly improved with our vaccines and more enlightened officials there might be a small chance our Alaska cruise in May might still happen!

Canada has to protect their people of course which could have been in a better place by now if they were not so far behind in the vaccinations!

Our Canadian friends are still without their vaccinations and they are in the right age and or medical issues groups.

No doubt many Canadians  would love to see the cruise ships come back for the sake of the economy. 

Let's hope things will improve rapidly in the next month for both countries.🙂

• Like 3