ATW 2023. Are they still going to be offering segments.?

no fuss travel

Does anyone know if Oceania will be selling segments for the 2023 ATW?  My favourite TA has been placed on furlough because of COVID 19 and the TA I now have to deal with is telling me that the 2923 ATW is completely sold out and no segments are being offered.  This is the information that she has received from Oceania.

According to the website there is still limited availability on some of the combinations of the full cruise.

There are 5 combinations of the full cruise ranging from 180 to 218 days.

If I was making the decision, I would not offer segments for quite a few months yet.

Depending on the global situation I would expect a number of 2022 world cruisers to perhaps switch to 2023.

Check the newly released list of 2022-2023 Spring cruises available for booking next Thursday. Do any of the Insignia cruises show up? 

It’s a pdf format so not easy to  search. You just have to go through the listed cruises to see if the Insignia and segments show up.

I was wondering the same thing myself.  I don't want to do the full ATW.  However, in a brochure that is currently out from Oceania, I found two "segments" that I would be very interested in on page 47. Spiritual Shrines, 18 days, Hong Kong to Tokyo, and Golden Buddhas, 42 days, Hong Kong to San Francisco.  The second one would depend on how much time I will have available at the time.  Both leave Hong Kong on June 2, 2023.  I contacted my TA for pricing, etc. and she is awaiting a response from Oceania.  I don't mind being waitlisted.  

The question is, why would Oceania list these particular cruises in their brochure?  It is over two years away but I would expect some folks to cancel for various reasons if they have booked the full ATW.  

If I get any clear answers I will post here.

Bill

From the booklet for fall 2022/spring 2023 it appears that there will be segments of the 2023 ATW open for booking on March 4th. Segments for any of the previous world cruises have usually been made available in March following the initial booking period for the full world cruise. And yes, it is 2 years away and some segments will be completely booked by the end of the first day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grmmybtty said:

From the booklet for fall 2022/spring 2023 it appears that there will be segments of the 2023 ATW open for booking on March 4th. Segments for any of the previous world cruises have usually been made available in March following the initial booking period for the full world cruise.

I agree, that is the normal timeframe.

I wonder why Insignia is the only ship with cruises over that period not yet loaded onto the website for viewing.

(Apart from the final segment on 13 July 2023.)

Edited by Tranquility Base

16 hours ago, no fuss travel said:

According to theOceania rep in Canada as of today there will be no segments offered for 2023ATW. The ship is sold out lots of disappointed people.

That would mean that the cruises that are in the latest tropics and exotics brochure will not be put on sale next week, as advertised.  There are clearly segments listed.  On page 35 you see several Insignia cruises that start in SF on January 15th then go down the coast of South America following the same path as the ATW.   And on Page 45 there is a Capetown to Dubai cruise that lines up with the ATW itinerary.  Etc, etc.

Edited by KS&JW

2 minutes ago, KS&JW said:

That would mean that the cruises that are in the latest tropics and exotics brochure will not be put on sale next week, as advertised.  There are clearly segments listed.  On page 35 you see several Insignia cruises that start in SF on January 15th then go down the coast of South America following the same path as the ATW

The Brochures are set up months before the mailing begins & if the RTW cruise is actually sold out  the brochures & the opening  day for booking the RTW may have cross paths

Time will tell if there are  NO segments available

JMO

Just now, LHT28 said:

The Brochures are set up months before the mailing begins & if the RTW cruise is actually sold out  the brochures & the opening  day for booking the RTW may have cross paths

Time will tell if there are  NO segments available

JMO

Agreed, just because they have it listed, doesn't mean it will be available.
 I believe they should make the ship 100% ATW cruisers for a better experience for all. No segmenters treated as second class guests. 
 However I wonder if the economics of that would be possible.  The ATW prices are much less per day than the segments.  Is it profitable if everyone is ATW at the current pricing structure?  

29 minutes ago, KS&JW said:

I believe they should make the ship 100% ATW cruisers for a better experience for all. No segmenters treated as second class guests. 
 However I wonder if the economics of that would be possible.  The ATW prices are much less per day than the segments.  Is it profitable if everyone is ATW at the current pricing structure?  

We don’t know the total economics. No foreign airfares, no baggage porters, no extra local staff to assist in Embarkment and Disembarkment; different terminal fee structures; etc.

Then there are food costs.Several of the past ATWers I’ve spoken to said they never went to either Specialty after around the half way point of the cruise. Feeding people primarily out of the Terrace is less expensive than doing so from the Specialties. Many likewise claimed to have tired of things like lobster by the end of month one (1), and thereafter stuck primarily with simplier less rich foods. 

We are not in a position to evaluate economics, especially not knowing the full picture.

1 hour ago, KS&JW said:

It would be nice for those that do the full RTW  cruise to be all one group  but  I think the 1st cruise was only 200 pax  so that would be financial suicide

last RTW  they were at over 300 pax for the full  cruise  & if the next RTW is truly sold out  then it would be  a great money maker

JMO

1 hour ago, KS&JW said:

The "second class guests" idea concerns me. Do the "full" ATW guests tend to treat "segmenters" in a condescending way? Do the crew members treat them differently?

2 hours ago, jimdee3636 said:

The "second class guests" idea concerns me. Do the "full" ATW guests tend to treat "segmenters" in a condescending way? Do the crew members treat them differently?

I tend to avoid World Cruise segments for that very reason.  Not condescending but it is a different atmosphere since you are a newbie. 

However ---

It is ashamed that the WC is sold out.  We were looking to possibly book the Hong Kong to SFO segments as we had in 2020 which was cancelled.  Very unique combined Japan and Alaska with a Russian Far East stop.

My  substitute TA confirmed  (my TA is out on medical leave) -- no space so nothing being offered, even though the segments are in the brochure.   With people with so much FCC to use for cancelled cruises I would think 2022/23 will be slim pickings for decent cruises and prices.

Edited by PaulMCO

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

We don’t know the total economics. No foreign airfares, no baggage porters, no extra local staff to assist in Embarkment and Disembarkment; different terminal fee structures; etc.

Then there are food costs.Several of the past ATWers I’ve spoken to said they never went to either Specialty after around the half way point of the cruise. Feeding people primarily out of the Terrace is less expensive than doing so from the Specialties. Many likewise claimed to have tired of things like lobster by the end of month one (1), and thereafter stuck primarily with simplier less rich foods. 

We are not in a position to evaluate economics, especially not knowing the full picture.

All excellent points. But they are also giving a heck of lot of perks away to the ATW people. Bear in mind that when they step on board they are going to be Gold, with all that comes with it, and that's for someone that has never been on Oceania before. For those on their 2nd time around on one of these they'll be pushing Diamond or better when they step on board. Lot's of perks, plus laundry, plus medical, among others. 

22 minutes ago, ORV said:

All excellent points. But they are also giving a heck of lot of perks away to the ATW people. Bear in mind that when they step on board they are going to be Gold, with all that comes with it, and that's for someone that has never been on Oceania before. For those on their 2nd time around on one of these they'll be pushing Diamond or better when they step on board. Lot's of perks, plus laundry, plus medical, among others. 

ORV;

I agree, we don’t know all the details of the economics. As for status, Oceania realizes for some that becomes more like handcuffs and people keep on returning because of that status. Part of the game.

16 hours ago, KS&JW said:

I don't think segmenters will be treated as second class guests. However the experience on the whole ship will be less enjoyable when there are too many segmenters in a specific period.

I think Cunard is a good example to illustrate. In recent years, more and more segments are introduced to their world cruises, especially in Asia. There are many 14 nights segment. Within the 14 nights it can be broken down to 7+7 nights. Within 7 nights it can even be further divided into 3+4 nights. Many passengers embark and disembark at the major Asian ports. Some full voyage guests told me that the service and dining quality are significantly worse during these parts of the world cruise.

13 hours ago, ORV said:

None of these things are free...think about it! 😉

We are platinum members (no ATW) and have found the ATW cruises a bit clicky. They have their own parties and events and of course if on a segment you feel as if you don't belong. We do mostly 14 or 30 day segments but prefer to be on another ship. We did around Australia Dec 2019, 30 days then Caribbean Feb for 14 days breaks up our winter. Certainly have missed going this year.

I was very tired of being asked are you going all the way around?

Service though is no different and always great. That's why we keep coming back.

• Like 2

Remember that sold out = 50% capacity. A year from now, and still a year prior to cruising, a lot of capacity may open up.

Have patience young Skywalker. Everything doesn’t have to be booked a year + in advance.

Edited by pinotlover

48 minutes ago, grmmybtty said:

It's interesting that the segments that were initially publicized in the brochure are not on the Oceania online offerings. Guess they are at capacity with the current ATW cruisers.

From what I've been reading all the cruise lines which offer 2023 World Cruises are showing very high demand.

When we look at 2020, 2021 and possibly 2022, that demand does make sense.

Many cruisers' travel budgets are sitting having had little use, so they look to extended voyages for a spend up.