Forgive my stupidity... for what reason do you need to buy insurance within 14 (or 21) days of making the initial deposit? I thought I was good in assuming that so long as it was purchased by the time the final payment was made, I was good to go.

Confused...

2 hours ago, PuraVida3000 said:

Forgive my stupidity... for what reason do you need to buy insurance within 14 (or 21) days of making the initial deposit? I thought I was good in assuming that so long as it was purchased by the time the final payment was made, I was good to go.

Confused...

For one thing, it has to do with pre-existing conditions.

It depends upon whether you're buying the coverage from the cruise line or an insurance company and what coverage you want.

If you want to be covered for pre-existing conditions, as 2 cruises a year indicated, you have that short window to purchase from the initial deposit.  That doesn't mean you can't buy the policy after that, you just won't be covered for pre-existing medical conditions.

From my reading of a policy, the pre-existing condition exclusion only refers to conditions which occur within a 60 day window before the insurance is purchased and not to conditions which occurred before that.  Am I correct?

49 minutes ago, Sailor11743 said:

From my reading of a policy, the pre-existing condition exclusion only refers to conditions which occur within a 60 day window before the insurance is purchased and not to conditions which occurred before that.  Am I correct?

Take a look at the articles at the trip insurance store web site, and some of the previous questions and answers in this forum.

The exclusion condition test evaluates to  “are you healthy enough to take the trip today?” plus insurance contract specific conditions.

On 2/27/2021 at 7:18 PM, PuraVida3000 said:

Confused...

Hi PuraVida3000,

Most plans require you to buy their plan within 14-21 days of your initial trip deposit dates to get the get pre-existing medical condition coverage, Cancel for Any Reason and 3rd party supplier financial default coverage.

A few plans let you buy by your final payment date to get the pre-existing medical condition coverage.

Here's more information:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/initial-trip-deposit-date/

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Steve Dasseos

Oh wow! So I can’t even pay the upcharge to get the cancel for any reason if I wait past the timeframe? And just to make sure.. using FCC or CruiseNext to make a deposit counts as the initial payment date, correct?

13 hours ago, PuraVida3000 said:

Oh wow! So I can’t even pay the upcharge to get the cancel for any reason if I wait past the timeframe? And just to make sure.. using FCC or CruiseNext to make a deposit counts as the initial payment date, correct?

Hi PuraVida3000,

The answer will be potentially be different if you are using FCCs or CruiseNext to pay the deposit.

Are your FCCs from a cruise that was cancelled due to Covid or for another reason?

Steve Dasseos