The Daily for Sunday Feb 28, 2021

richwmn

25 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning everyone.

I have been missing for the past week as my brother died suddenly in Boston. Had just announced his retirement and was getting ready for work when he was stricken. It is hard to get my head around it. So we flew on a full airplane to Boston. We doublemasked and I wiped everything down.  Home now but I feel we should stay away from anyone. 

On a much better note, our friends picked us up at the airport and went directly for our 2nd shot. Very well organized, they gave us lollipops and masks. The EMTs from Orlando were giving the shots.

Stay safe everyone and be extra kind to your friends and family.

So very sorry to hear about the sudden loss of your brother. 

• Like 8

Good morning everyone. It’s a dreary day here and we have nothing planned so will probably watch one of the movies we signed up for from Rutgers.

I’m probably the only one who doesn’t like chili. We’re having left over Chinese food for dinner, probably as we watch our movie.

I did a very strange thing yesterday. Because of my daughter who has done this before, I had a zoom meeting with a medium. She blew me away when she mentioned my father in connection with a woman’s name he had had a relationship with. I haven’t heard the name in years , it’s not a common name, and my father has been gone since 1973. There is absolutely no way she could have know about this. I don’t know what to believe anymore.

Tomorrow DH goes for his long anticipated first shot.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 14

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

Hello  to  all. I  guess  I   will  have  to  be patient  for  a  little  while  longer and  schedule  our  visit  with  my  son's  family  for  Easter. My  DIL  is  concerned  about  the  variant  in  the  New  York  area,our  continued high  number  of  cases  in  our  zip  code  and  the  increased cases  in  New  Hampshire. I  reluctantly  agree  as  both  of  us  have  medical  issues  that  make us  more  risk  prone. We  will  continue  our  video  chats  with  the  family in  the  interim. I  am  sure  that  there  are  many  others  dealing  with  similar  situations  and  we  are  not  alone  in  this.

Terry

Our DD and family live in concord nh with our only DGS. FaceTime has been a lifesaver for us. Hope to visit in July for his bd. 

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 9

40 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning everyone.

I have been missing for the past week as my brother died suddenly in Boston. Had just announced his retirement and was getting ready for work when he was stricken. It is hard to get my head around it. So we flew on a full airplane to Boston. We doublemasked and I wiped everything down.  Home now but I feel we should stay away from anyone. 

On a much better note, our friends picked us up at the airport and went directly for our 2nd shot. Very well organized, they gave us lollipops and masks. The EMTs from Orlando were giving the shots.

I am so sorry to hear this.... it is so very hard. Best wishes to you and your family.

Susan

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning everyone.

I am so sorry for your sudden loss. Condolences  to you and your family

• Like 7

Thank you for the Daily Rich on this last day of February.  Thank you for your lists Roy. Your meal suggestion looks fantastic, especially the lamb shank. 

I love chili and think I even have some in the freezer although I’m not really in the mood for that today. We had pizza yesterday so won’t have that either. I’ll have to see what sounds good later. 

My DH can sleep anywhere so he fits in the Public Sleeping Day just fine. 

I love flowers and admire those who can arrange them so beautifully, but alas I am also one who just puts them in a vase and hopes for the best. 

@cunnorl I am so sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and your family. 

@kazu I had to look up Timbits!  

I forgot to update about my passport photo search from a few weeks ago.  I’m almost embarrassed to even say anything 😐. Well it turns out my memory was way off and our passports don’t expire this June but next June 2022. So I didn’t really need to get in a panic about it. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 13

12 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Our DD and family live in concord nh with our only DGS. FaceTime has been a lifesaver for us. Hope to visit in July for his bd. 

My 10 year old twins  (and of course DIL and DS) are nearby in Amherst.It will be a good summer!    Terry

• Like 6

Sunny but cold here this morning. We are due for some rain/snow later this week so I am going to plan my week accordingly. Most of my meetings these days are zoom anyway.... about the only place I go is to the shelter to deal with checks and doggies. My 2  pups certainly give me the once over when I get home.

Am expending some energy by seething at the Post Office. Sent items off priority mail. One made it on time.... the other  three are marked "delayed". I suspect it has something to do with the fact that some bright light decided that the best way to sort our mail was to send it 220 miles out of state to Albuquerque. Means a whole extra 2 days on anything. Guess I should be glad they don't send it to Denver.... that is 440 miles.

Our Humane Society thrift store is taking donations 4 days a week now, so I am getting more things ready to go. Have started on some spring/summer clothes which I have not worn for years and probably never will. And I have a large closet of boxes that I have not even begun to tackle.

Susan

• Like 14

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the final February Daily, Rich.  Floral designs are beautiful but I'll pass on the other 2 days.  Cleaver is quite clever.  The pizza sounds quite nice but my alternative is Tropical Fruit Medley, Lamb Shank, and Baked Alaska, my final dinner on MS Koningsdam before continuing on to the Crystal Serenity and Zaandam.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/dishes0228.jpg

Today's care list:

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH recovering from surgery and facing chemo

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

smitty34877 visiting grand kids

Quick furnace repair for ger-77

Vaccine appointments for Sharon

Shots complete for TheKingD

Johnson & Johnson EUA

This community

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

When is tour cardiac surgery scheduled to take place?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Can't believe February is over.  Thank you Rich and Roy for your dedication to our great place.  Great group of days and the meal sounds wonderful.

Prayers and toasts to our list.  Happy more and more of us are getting their jabs.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Armagnac Side Car:

Ingredient
1 lemon wedge
Granulated sugar
Ice
1 1/2 ounces Armagnac
1/2 ounce Cointreau or other triple sec
1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
1/4 ounce Simple Syrup
1 lemon wheel
Instructions
Step 1 Moisten the outer rim of a martini glass with the lemon wedge; coat lightly with sugar. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice; add all of the remaining ingredients except the lemon wheel. Shake well. Strain into the glass; garnish with the lemon wheel.

Screen Shot 2021-02-28 at 6.54.04 AM.png

Tou are an expert when it comes to drinks.

• Like 2

I think it was last Sunday that some photos of the previous iterations of the Noordam and Nieuw Amsterdam were posted. In looking through my files of photos, I saw something that looked very similar.

In the Spring of 2018 we did an east-bound TA combined with a Mediterranean cruise and a couple of days in Rome. We were in Gibraltar on April 14 and the Marella Celebration was moored alongside of us (Koningsdam). In looking closer at my photos, the Celebration must have been a former HAL ship. Can anyone confirm?

2138431139_DSC_0291(2).thumb.JPG.8fdebcdcd1aec2f57389da9941218c23.JPG

548060896_DSC_0289(2).thumb.JPG.fcf370bc1d707f209383025d1598d5e7.JPG

DSC_0293.thumb.JPG.4ae84576f8dea32c82f2038fc114f5c1.JPG

DSC_0300.thumb.JPG.2a2fa3aa84711161158193d4cc40ff0a.JPG

• Like 15

4 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile.

I am busy planning where the new babies will go in planters & new perennials in the gardens when it is safe so I guess that sort of counts as Floral Design Day 😉 

That quote of Cleaver is true indeed!

Not sure what we will have for dinner, but since we had pizza last night I think we will have to pass on the meal suggestion.

But first, I have to de-ice the driveway.  We got nailed with a pile of snow that turned into freezing rain so all there is now is ice 😡. I can deal with snow but ice and I are not friends.  I’ve about had it with winter.

5BFE144C-DB22-4F61-A873-DE698B5234F2.thumb.jpeg.69406bebd574b8c007697d6ddfd635e9.jpeg

Looking forward to hearing about the drink of the day and the wine suggestion.

I got taken aback this morning.  I went to look at yesterday’s post to check which pictures I posted and there’s no post 😱. I’m not sure if it was removed or if something went wrong with CC.

I’ve been busy this week starting and coddling seeds.  And since I need to see what begonias that I saved will take, I have 6 trays of begonias started.  Yes, the living room is turning into a greenhouse again 😉 

DH wants to get more involved in the gardening.  Heaven help me. He keeps looking at perennials that can’t go in my gardens 😉. I have a feeling his help is going to end up like this:

5492B128-6EC5-495B-B597-CAB1A2CD371E.jpeg.3be3897e46b6aa1fd43e4692cb376add.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and a toast to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Sunday, everyone.  Stay warm and safe and don’t forget your masks 😷 

6A80B585-142B-48CE-99AE-CCE105625B59.jpeg.3787a0b2aeae01ab328bed8311de7504.jpeg

I agree with you on Winter.  It is time to Go!  Being in Florida a couple of weeks ago has made me ever more sour on cold and snow.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

In looking closer at my photos, the Celebration must have been a former HAL ship. Can anyone confirm?

Marella Celebration was built by Chantiers de l'Atlantique in 1984 for Holland America Line as MS Noordam at a cost of $160 million and became the third HAL vessel to bear the name.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Good morning -- I love Sunday mornings, it seems like the only day I have time to really slow down and take things easy. I work all week and spend Saturday on stuff that has to get down around the house. Used to be errands but now it is putting in Instacart orders, lol.

I am for once "in tune" with today's days as I had already planned to make turkey chili this afternoon. Public sleeping day I'll pass on, and no flowers to speak of around here, although I wouldn't mind one of those very lovely cupcake arrangements in @St. Louis Sal's post.  I am all in for the drink of the day, I love Armagnac -- sounds like a pretty potent potable!  For some reason, @rafinmd's sunrise photo also struck me as particularly beautiful today.

@smitty34877  I understand well. I am just chafing at the bit to get vaccinated and be able to see the rest of my family in Florida again. My parents get their second dose this week, but I have yet to find out when I can get my first...

@cunnorl So sorry to hear of the sudden death of your brother. It somehow seems all the harder when the loss is unexpected.

Happy first week of March to all. Where I live the winter has been mild but dreary and rainy. It's great to see days getting noticeably longer. Yesterday morning I saw the first chipmunk of the season in my backyard. Last summer the neighbor's cat (a great hunter) decimated most of the population, but those neighbors moved in the fall. I wonder what will happen this year?

image.png.2e0b48db96d15b13be7daeabe1fc147d.png 

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

Good morning. Thanks for the Sunday Daily.

I like floral designs and chili; not a public sleeping person!

I was too tired last night to even open a bottle of wine; maybe tonight. Funny after anticipating being able to have a glass.

Not sure about dinner tonight - maybe a broccoli and cheese stuffed chicken breast. I do plan on making chicken taco chili in the slow cooker next week (a Skinnytaste.com recipe).

Lots of rain here yesterday and today, so now we have flood watches!

No word yet on my 2nd shot. There was to be an email 10 days before (it's due March 9), but it seems many are being delayed about a week due to the winter storms that caused shortages.

@cunnorl So sorry for the loss of your brother. 

@cruisemom42 I had a lot of chipmunks in my yard that my neighbors cat took care of (although I had to have the shovel at the ready when mowing and chancing upon a carcus). Now I only see an occasional one scurrying about.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Be safe and wear your masks.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 14

1 hour ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning everyone.

You, your bother & your family are in my prayers.  Not easy even when you are prepared. 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

@smitty34877  I understand well. I am just chafing at the bit to get vaccinated and be able to see the rest of my family in Florida again. My parents get their second dose this week, but I have yet to find out when I can get my first...

Everyone may know about this website but I thought I would mention it because it is a really easy way to locate the availability of a vaccine appointment in your area (in the US).  Vaccinefinder dot org and you put in your zip code, answer some questions and it shows you if you are eligible and where you can make an appointment. It’s tricky though, I’m not sure what day appointments open up. Worth a try. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning everyone.

Sorry to learn of your brother's death.  May he rest in peace.

• Like 3