Imagine my surprise...

We made the misstep of canceling our April 2020 cruise before Crystal canceled, and therefore did not receive a full refund, but a percentage as FCC. This morning, that FCC amount showed up as a reimbursement on our credit card!  Certainly, we are relieved that we will not lose the money, but what does this mean regarding the future of the cruise line?

2 hours ago, Cybercsp said:

We made the misstep of canceling our April 2020 cruise before Crystal canceled, and therefore did not receive a full refund, but a percentage as FCC. This morning, that FCC amount showed up as a reimbursement on our credit card!  Certainly, we are relieved that we will not lose the money, but what does this mean regarding the future of the cruise line?

That's great to hear that you received your refund.  Was your FCC in a form of a FCC (not already used for another booking) when this happened?  I wonder if Crystal is starting to refund unused FCCs without being asked, or if this was a "mistake" in your favor.  Also, did you actually receive this refund at a loss?  Was your refund equal to initial deposit plus final payment minus penalty?  I certainly wish that Crystal is more transparent about how they are/aren't "honoring their contractual obligations regarding refunds."

I received a refund for the final payment portion of my September 2020 cruise after I filed a charge dispute with my credit card company.  However, the deposit is still with Crystal, unfortunately.  I keep sending Crystal a reminder every two months (just in case I would need this "paper trail" in the future), and the last response from Crystal was "While I do see the refunds are in queue, regretfully at this time we cannot provide you with a specific refund date."

Go figure.

Edited by Psoque
fixed typos

When we canceled the fully-paid cruise literally the day before THEY canceled it, Crystal refunded us the majority of our cruise fare in August, less 15%, which they told us could be used us a future cruise credit.  We booked a 2022 cruise, and our TA told us that we could not apply that FCC to the booking until we had made a deposit. (Crystal keeps pushing off an initial deposit date.)  So, we assumed that our money was just waiting to be applied to a future cruise, hoping that it would not be lost if the line failed.

We never asked for this money, thus the big surprise to see a refund on our credit card.  The only loss to us is the travel agent's booking fee, which we can apply to the next cruise that we book.  

I wish you and all that are waiting good fortune.  I know that this has been a painful issue for many, and am hopeful that this suggests that they are cleaning up loose ends (our lost cruise was April 2020, so we were one of the initial cancellations).  Looking forward to our next Crystal cruise!

Well, my opinion is that this is a good omen.    If Crystal was heading down the LAST thing they would do is refund any cash they absolutely/positively HAVE to...    This makes me a bit more relaxed to make our deposit (when we have to) for our May 22 cruise!

6 hours ago, Cybercsp said:

When we canceled the fully-paid cruise literally the day before THEY canceled it, Crystal refunded us the majority of our cruise fare in August, less 15%, which they told us could be used us a future cruise credit.  We booked a 2022 cruise, and our TA told us that we could not apply that FCC to the booking until we had made a deposit. (Crystal keeps pushing off an initial deposit date.)  So, we assumed that our money was just waiting to be applied to a future cruise, hoping that it would not be lost if the line failed.

We never asked for this money, thus the big surprise to see a refund on our credit card.  The only loss to us is the travel agent's booking fee, which we can apply to the next cruise that we book.  

I wish you and all that are waiting good fortune.  I know that this has been a painful issue for many, and am hopeful that this suggests that they are cleaning up loose ends (our lost cruise was April 2020, so we were one of the initial cancellations).  Looking forward to our next Crystal cruise!

Hi Nancy! 🥰

Posted (edited)
On 2/28/2021 at 1:43 PM, Cybercsp said:

.  The only loss to us is the travel agent's booking fee

You TA charges you a booking fee?  I haven't heard of this being done here in the U.S.

Edited by wishIweretravelling

I have heard of a TA that did charge a new client who was only booking a  very inexpensive cruise.  They charged $50 for a short Carnival Cruise to someone I know.  No way would I pay a booking fee for my Crystal Cruises and my agent has never tried to!!  The TA always gives me some OBC/perks/gifts!!!

~Nancy

4 hours ago, wishIweretravelling said:

You TA charges you a booking fee?  I haven't heard of this being done here in the U.S.

It is becoming more common, and may well become moreso post-COVID, but not normally on cruise/package bookings. Usually it is charged on flight only bookings where there is no commission paid. I have heard of TAs that charge a "refundable" booking fee on cruise/package bookings. It is charged "up front", before the research is done, and refunded at the final payment date so as to discourage people playing one agent off against another. For the record, our agency does charge on flights, but that is all.

Posted (edited)

To clarify, there is a "booking fee" that is charged if  the client cancels the trip.  As I mentioned, that fee can then be "refunded" as it will be applied to a deposit for a future trip booked with the agency.  In addition to Roland's comment, I believe that some agencies instituted this policy in an attempt to discourage clients from booking multiple cruises, with the intention of canceling many of them based upon changes in pricing as they approached final payment.  I have no complaints about the booking structure.  

Edited by Cybercsp

Thanks. I was aware of booking fees for things like flights and hotels, but thought the cruise travel industry structure was different, given that cruise lines still pay commissions. I do see the sense of a charge if you cancel, though my TA has not gone to that. Yet.