Yeah or Neah For the Resumption of Cabin Crawls When Cruising Resumes?

need2cruisesoon

9 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

But if you were to invite 15 strangers into your room, not sure how they would stop you. 

It could become a term in your cruise contract that would preclude visitors from entering your cabin.  Would it be enforced?  I don't know, but it would be the basis of enforcement if things got out of hand.

15 hours ago, richstowe said:

Why would there be "Drunks banging on the wrong cabin doors." on a cabin crawl ? I think you're confusing it with a pub crawl .

People participating in a cabin crawl who had too much to drink and were running behind the main group.  Banging on doors looking for the "crawl"  

8 hours ago, crazyank said:

People participating in a cabin crawl who had too much to drink and were running behind the main group.  Banging on doors looking for the "crawl"  

Some cabin crawls involve offering or having a drink at each cabin.   After 8 or 10 cabin calls, a decent % will be inebriated to some degree.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Are there any specific cruise lines where these are particularly popular?

If so I can add them to my avoidance list 😀

It is not about cruise lines as much as it is about cruisers.  So called "cabin crawls" have often been organized here on CC (usually under the specific cruise Roll Calls) and is an interesting way for folks to get a look at different kinds of cabins.  We do not participate is such things but do see their value.  When we were on cruising on the Seabourn Sojourn we did have some other cruisers ask if they could see our cabin (we let them see our cabin and then we went to see theirs).    There are also some times when the cruise lines will show certain cabins as part of an onboard tour.  When we have cruised on MSC in their Yacht Club there have always been at least 1 tour a week brought through the YC and DW and I used to feel like we were on display as we would sit in the lounge with a tour group gawking at us and the environs.  But MSC uses those tours to try and promote the YC to cruisers who might be interested in booking it for future cruises.

Hank

Good topic.   I have participated in many of these cabin crawls, on various ships and lines, through the years, and have organized a few of them, myself.   They are very popular when an entirely new class of ships comes out, with new types of cabins and suites.   Since most cruises sailed "full", this was the only opportunity to see other types of cabins than the one you were booked in, as the ship can't show you occupied cabins*  that you might be interested in booking in the future.   You also got to see so-called "secret cabins", that were in a broad category, but because of their location within the ships infrastructure, they might have a "bonus" anomaly in their design--good, as in an extra large balcony on a "bump out angle", or bad, as in a structural column passing thru a section of the cabin...

Depending on how well these crawls were organized, they usually did not bother other passenger's, except to cause some amused curiosity as to what was going on.   They were fun for participants, educational, helped people socialize with other CCers, and helped people learn their way around the ship, as well as were good exercise.

* One exception to this I found on a cruise where at a port of call, the cruise line offered special compensation to certain occupants to allow them to conduct tours thru their cabins by visiting groups of travel agents.   

All that said, until there is full "normalcy" in cruising and the world, I would not participate in one...

• Like 5

5 hours ago, bob brown said:

Good topic.   I have participated in many of these cabin crawls, on various ships and lines, through the years, and have organized a few of them, myself.   They are very popular when an entirely new class of ships comes out, with new types of cabins and suites.   Since most cruises sailed "full", this was the only opportunity to see other types of cabins than the one you were booked in, as the ship can't show you occupied cabins*  that you might be interested in booking in the future.   You also got to see so-called "secret cabins", that were in a broad category, but because of their location within the ships infrastructure, they might have a "bonus" anomaly in their design--good, as in an extra large balcony on a "bump out angle", or bad, as in a structural column passing thru a section of the cabin...

Depending on how well these crawls were organized, they usually did not bother other passenger's, except to cause some amused curiosity as to what was going on.   They were fun for participants, educational, helped people socialize with other CCers, and helped people learn their way around the ship, as well as were good exercise.

* One exception to this I found on a cruise where at a port of call, the cruise line offered special compensation to certain occupants to allow them to conduct tours thru their cabins by visiting groups of travel agents.   

All that said, until there is full "normalcy" in cruising and the world, I would not participate in one...

Good description.  Really they are kind of like a mixer and can be a lot of fun.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ldubs said:

Good description.  Really they are kind of like a mixer and can be a lot of fun.  

Agree.  When I have participated, it is because I am interested in such a "mixer" as well as seeing stateroom categories such as Penthouse Suites, etc., if those are part of the "tour".  

• Like 2

I can see why some would enjoy the party fun atmosphere, as well as the chance to see different cabin styles.

I'm just not one of those who would enjoy it.  When I have priority access to my cabin, I'll peek into a few cabins along the way, but that's about the extent of my interest.  We've tried most types of balconies, aft, extended, infinity, etc. and 1 or 2 suites, 

My preference is to mix with other cruisers at a M&G in a venue or at a bar or pool site.  It's great that anyone can find a different type of activity cruising to make them happy!

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Doug R. said:

Hated the concept pre-pandemic, will hate it more post-pandemic.

I met some very interesting people on Cabin Crawls or CC .

One day there was a guy wearing a tee shirt from a fire department from a suburb of Rochester,NY.I said I had a friend living in that town.The guy knew him very well and we had an interesting conversation.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

One day there was a guy wearing a tee shirt from a fire department from a suburb of Rochester,NY.I said I had a friend living in that town.The guy knew him very well and we had an interesting conversation.

We met some very loud and obnoxious drunks.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

That kind of an interaction is so unpredictable and so pleasant for me when it happens.  I am sitting in a deck chair wearing a baseball cap from my Alma Mater.  A guest walks by, stops, and we have a chat about the university from which we graduated.  Different classes; but, some of the same professors.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

That kind of an interaction is so unpredictable and so pleasant for me when it happens.  I am sitting in a deck chair wearing a baseball cap from my Alma Mater.  A guest walks by, stops, and we have a chat about the university from which we graduated.  Different classes; but, some of the same professors.  

On a cruise in 2017 a guy walked by wearing a tee shirt from a HS in Brooklyn.I went to a school close by .We had a nice conversation,cruised together in 2018 and are now e-mail friends.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

That is why you need to book an alcohol free cruise😀

I see. We should change where and how we cruise because some people can't hold their booze. Not gonna happen! What needs to happen is banning alcohol during cabin crawls or limiting crawls to certain hours of the day.

On 2/28/2021 at 5:37 PM, need2cruisesoon said:

Just wondering your thoughts and if Cabin Crawls will be outlawed by the cruise lines?

Unknown-2.jpeg

Unknown-1.jpeg

When I look at these photos all I can think of is how much I dislike sardines!

Those poor little things all stuffed together in a metal can. 🥺

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, crazyank said:

I see. We should change where and how we cruise because some people can't hold their booze. Not gonna happen! What needs to happen is banning alcohol during cabin crawls or limiting crawls to certain hours of the day.

Crawls are generally around 11:30 AM .Definitely too early to imbibe .

You have presented a potential solution - which hours would you suggest?

Edited by Von & John

I wouldn't like what you describe either.  But, I'm thinking maybe we shouldn't blame the function because of some individual(s) malfeasance.   There is no shortage of knuckleheads.  Sadly, we all have to deal with them at some time or another.  

• Like 2