Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On the few cruises we have been on they have been inside cabins. We don't spend much time in the cabin, prefer to be outside on deck. Our first cruise I was a bit worried as I do get claustrophobic, but found the cabins to be okay.  However I wouldn't like to be stuck in one for 14 days. I'm not really sure that I would like a balcony cabin, more sea movement, though I have come a long way since my first cruise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, emam said:

On the few cruises we have been on they have been inside cabins. We don't spend much time in the cabin, prefer to be outside on deck. Our first cruise I was a bit worried as I do get claustrophobic, but found the cabins to be okay.  However I wouldn't like to be stuck in one for 14 days. I'm not really sure that I would like a balcony cabin, more sea movement, though I have come a long way since my first cruise.

In bad weather, I actually find it better to be able to see out by having a balcony cabin, rather than just having to stare at the four cabin walls.

The other issue with bad weather, is that public areas tend to become jammed full of people, so it is nice to have the sanctuary of a larger balcony cabin, rather than the smaller (normally) dimensions of an inside cabin.  

Edited by wowzz
Link to post
Share on other sites

We book a balcony and use it all the time. We have booked an outside on Oriana, as it was a late booking and the balconies were sold out. We missed the freedom of a balcony but it didn't spoil our cruise in the slightest. We couldn't book an inside at all, it's the lack of natural light that we couldn't cope with. We always have the curtains open at night, even at home, as we don't like that 'closed in' feeling.

Avril

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, wowzz said:

In bad weather, I actually find it better to be able to see out by having a balcony cabin, rather than just having to stare at the four cabin walls.

The other issue with bad weather, is that public areas tend to become jammed full of people, so it is nice to have the sanctuary of a larger balcony cabin, rather than the smaller (normally) dimensions of an inside cabin.  

Fortunately, I don't suffer from sea-sickness so when inclement weather hits I normally head for the Crows Nest. Being high up and forward, a lot of folks give it a miss when the ship is a-rockin'n'rollin' 😄

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Britboys said:

Fortunately, I don't suffer from sea-sickness so when inclement weather hits I normally head for the Crows Nest. Being high up and forward, a lot of folks give it a miss when the ship is a-rockin'n'rollin' 😄

Ooh, Crows Nest is the one area I avoid in rough weather......🤢 so when I’m on Aurora I head straight to Anderson’s for a medicinal brandy!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Ooh, Crows Nest is the one area I avoid in rough weather......🤢 so when I’m on Aurora I head straight to Anderson’s for a medicinal brandy!

 

You have my sympathy - for the mal-de-mer, not the Napoleon Brandy 😀

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Britboys said:

You have my sympathy - for the mal-de-mer, not the Napoleon Brandy 😀

I consumed quite a few brandys on the full world cruise....!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually book a balcony but on one occasion I choose an outside, never again, felt REALLY  claustrophobic, it actually was to the detriment of the holiday. We spend quite a bit of time on the balcony, our own little sanctuary,nothing beats an early morning coffee looking out to sea,just in your PJ's!! Even in cold weather, just take a blanket outside.

I'd rather have a balcony and less cruises than being in a "cell" JMHO!! Others obviously feel  differently. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I consumed quite a few brandys on the full world cruise....!

Even though the seas were calm...😉😄

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

Usually book a balcony but on one occasion I choose an outside, never again, felt REALLY  claustrophobic, it actually was to the detriment of the holiday. We spend quite a bit of time on the balcony, our own little sanctuary,nothing beats an early morning coffee looking out to sea,just in your PJ's!! Even in cold weather, just take a blanket outside.

I'd rather have a balcony and less cruises than being in a "cell" JMHO!! Others obviously feel  differently. 

That's how we feel as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beckett said:

I'll  need it Annie! Their mum and dad are delighted they're going to have a week to themselves! J.x

I bet they are! I had (have!) 3 daughters and am still trying to erase the memory of them at 12 and (especially) 15.:classic_blink:

Link to post
Share on other sites

For our first cruise we booked an inside cabin and were wowed at how nice it was.(We had only experienced cabins on cross channel ferries with bunk beds!!)Had we booked a balcony on our first cruise and then booked an inside on a subsequent cruise I think we would have been disappointed.I would still be happy to have an inside cabin for a short cruise (we have sailed for 24 nights in one)but would want a balcony for anything longer than 7 days.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Beckett said:

I was due to sail on QE in June - a 7 day British Isles - and I was already pretty sure I wasn't going but was waiting for them to cancel. Then, at the weekend, my 2 grandaughters said they would love to come with. So, long story short, I've changed it for a July 7 day on Queen Victoria in July to the Fjords when they will have have broken up from school. The point of all this preamble is to tell you I've booked a deluxe inside which is substantially bigger than a standard inside and the same size as a standard balcony. The cost difference was immense should I have opted for a balcony. So pity me with a 15 and 12 year old inside but I'll let you all know what it was like (if it sails). Have a good day everyone. Jane.x

Jane, I think with 2 teenage Granddaughters you have made the right choice, if the weather is good they will want to be out on deck, if not they will be with friends they have made in the kids club, I assume Cunard does have one, so a balcony will not be essential.

Hope it does go ahead, if so maybe our July Britannia cruise will also be OK.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Beckett said:

I was due to sail on QE in June - a 7 day British Isles - and I was already pretty sure I wasn't going but was waiting for them to cancel. Then, at the weekend, my 2 grandaughters said they would love to come with. So, long story short, I've changed it for a July 7 day on Queen Victoria in July to the Fjords when they will have have broken up from school. The point of all this preamble is to tell you I've booked a deluxe inside which is substantially bigger than a standard inside and the same size as a standard balcony. The cost difference was immense should I have opted for a balcony. So pity me with a 15 and 12 year old inside but I'll let you all know what it was like (if it sails). Have a good day everyone. Jane.x

Jane - that's s lovely gesture by you.

Without being unduly pessimistic,  I do hope you have managed the expectations of your grand daughters. Telling them now that the odds are against the cruise going ahead will lead to less disappointment in the future. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I sail with She Who Must Be Obeyed, I always book a balcony because she  uses it as her private sanctuary.  When I sail by myself, I always book an inside partly because of the expense of booking a solo, and partly because I'm only there to sleep and change clothes.  I much prefer to be out and about on the ship, whether attending a lecture series or reading in a good shady spot.

 

I never really thought about being forcibly confined to an inside, but I am confident that by the time my next cruise rolls around in 2022, and the vaccines are widely available, only sick people will need to be confined. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On short winter cruisers we did not mind a inside cabin and at night 

I would leave the TV on the ships camera channel so in the morning 

I would know daylight was breaking .We tried an outside cabin but

peering out of a window did little to enhance our cruise.

Longer cruises like our TA crossing a balcony really came into it's own 

on long sea days and others have said your very own private refuge is

well worth it and we would chose a balcony mid ships most of the time .

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, kalos said:

On short winter cruisers we did not mind a inside cabin and at night 

I would leave the TV on the ships camera channel so in the morning 

I would know daylight was breaking .We tried an outside cabin but

peering out of a window did little to enhance our cruise.

Longer cruises like our TA crossing a balcony really came into it's own 

on long sea days and others have said your very own private refuge is

well worth it and we would chose a balcony mid ships most of the time .

I'm with you in that I like either an inside or balcony, not bothered about an outside but particularly like a balcony on long TA crossings

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Jane - that's s lovely gesture by you.

Without being unduly pessimistic,  I do hope you have managed the expectations of your grand daughters. Telling them now that the odds are against the cruise going ahead will lead to less disappointment in the future. 

Hi Wowzz.  Yes, we've had that conversation already.  I promised them that if it doesn't go ahead I will try for the October half-term to Hamburg and Amsterdam.  I've been cruising with the 15 year old since she was 7 so she's a seasoned cruiser but this will be the first time the 12 year old has been on a cruise without her mum and dad.  I'm expecting a few tears on the day. I hope we're lucky enough to go because no-matter how well prepared they are for a cancellation they will still be disappointed if it's cancelled.  Jane.x

  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Hi Wowzz.  Yes, we've had that conversation already.  I promised them that if it doesn't go ahead I will try for the October half-term to Hamburg and Amsterdam.  I've been cruising with the 15 year old since she was 7 so she's a seasoned cruiser but this will be the first time the 12 year old has been on a cruise without her mum and dad.  I'm expecting a few tears on the day. I hope we're lucky enough to go because no-matter how well prepared they are for a cancellation they will still be disappointed if it's cancelled.  Jane.x

  

Sounds like a very sensible plan. Offering a back up in October will help soften the blow if the worst comes to the worst.

Sorry for appearing to be Mr Grumpy!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Sounds like a very sensible plan. Offering a back up in October will help soften the blow if the worst comes to the worst.

Sorry for appearing to be Mr Grumpy!

Not at all Wowzz.  There's a very real possibility that we won't sail so, as you said, best to alert them to that potential before they start getting too excited.  Actually, that's not possible - they are already very excited!  Jane.x

Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching 'Out to Sea' on Disney+ , (set aboard the MS Westerdam) and there was quote that made me think of this thread.

 

Upon seeing the size of the interior cabin, Jack Lemmon's character declares:

"Look at the size of this room! A good fart will give you a concussion!"

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...