Anthem UK cruises in the summer?

Given that Odyssey has been moved to a country with the best vaccine rate in the world, and my cancellation letter makes specific mention of Anthem and the UK, I would guess that as the UK will complete its vaccine programme in the summer, Anthem will do UK only for UK passengers by August

2 minutes ago, compman9 said:

Given that Odyssey has been moved to a country with the best vaccine rate in the world, and my cancellation letter makes specific mention of Anthem and the UK, I would guess that as the UK will complete its vaccine programme in the summer, Anthem will do UK only for UK passengers by August

It will struggle for UK only. I don't think that given it's size it can fit into that many ports to be honest. Though I may be wrong about that.

1 minute ago, ace2542 said:

It will struggle for UK only. I don't think that given it's size it can fit into that many ports to be honest. Though I may be wrong about that.

There are already regular UK only cruises - There are dozens available right now

5 minutes ago, compman9 said:

Can I ask what exactly was specified on your cancellation letter regarding anthem and the  UK?

I do strongly feel that they will offer fully vaccinated cruises on Anthem from the UK at some point this summer- would make sense. Even if they are only at 50% capacity,  it is still revenue,  and I for one would jump on a cruise like this , even if calling only at UK ports.

I have a feeling that we will only see Odyssey sailing this Summer in the Mediteranean / Europe. There are still lots of uncertainties about ports in the different countries to be opened etc. We might see cruises to no where at best from the UK this summer, not so sure though if RCL will be interested to offer that. It looks to me rather that RCL might add one or two more ships to start operations in Asia and eventually starting with short cruises from Florida to it's private Islands but this will likely not be until later in the summer / towards autumn.

22 minutes ago, compman9 said:

I love this idea 👏👏👏😀😀😀😀

30 minutes ago, Trixie21 said:

Can I ask what exactly was specified on your cancellation letter regarding anthem and the  UK?

I do strongly feel that they will offer fully vaccinated cruises on Anthem from the UK at some point this summer- would make sense. Even if they are only at 50% capacity,  it is still revenue,  and I for one would jump on a cruise like this , even if calling only at UK ports.

"When Odyssey of the Seas sails from Rome in 2022, I very much hope to see you onboard and I also invite you to sail with myself and some of my leadership team on 7th May 2022 for what will be a very special sailing. I will be hosting another Crown and Anchor Coffee morning on 19th March and hope to see you there – I’ll have some special guests, too! This will be an opportunity to answer any questions you may have and also to update you on our plans for Anthem of the Seas’ return to Southampton."

The email was completely about the Odyssey cancellation, so to see that as the final sentence seems pertinent

Guest BigRoger

Suspect Anthem is coming to sail out of Southampton in around early to mid July with test cruises starting in June. Will be only UK nationals.

All on the back of most adults in UK being vaccinated by then and opening up international travel. Not sure if the ship will go anywhere except UK ports and suspect will be a requirement will be to have been vaccinated to be able to sail.

(interesting question whether people will have to have had 2 vaccinations or just one.... as the former will slow down return)

Then again I’ve been proved wrong may times before! Bill Gates is probably the person to ask as he’s making the decisions and controlling the virus according to many well balanced folk in US.... 

Edited by BigRoger

48 minutes ago, compman9 said:

There are already regular UK only cruises - There are dozens available right now

UK ONLY? As in not Dublin or Cork, and into Le Harve as well? They call it UK ONLY but how many truly are? And are those for Anthem or for smaller ships like Fred Olsen line and the smaller princess ship. Not a massive quantum/oasis class ship?

10 minutes ago, BigRoger said:

Suspect Anthem is coming to sail out of Southampton in around early to mid July with test cruises starting in June. Will be only UK nationals.

All on the back of most adults in UK being vaccinated by then and opening up international travel. Not sure if the ship will go anywhere except UK ports and suspect will be a requirement will be to have been vaccinated to be able to sail.

(interesting question whether people will have to have had 2 vaccinations or just one.... as the former will slow down return)

Then again I’ve been proved wrong may times before! Bill Gates is probably the person to ask as he’s making the decisions and controlling the virus according to many well balanced folk in US.... 

How many UK PORTS UK ONLY can fit the ship? I don't know the answer to that question. Probably Belfast? Maybe liverpool? But nowhere else? Not Tilbury, Harwich, Dover not Shetland or Orkney or Newcastle? Not much of a trip then? They could also pop over to Iceland maybe and back to UK have time at sea? Iceland might get vaccine done quickly.

Edited by ace2542

8 hours ago, compman9 said:

This will be an opportunity to answer any questions you may have and also to update you on our plans for Anthem of the Seas’ return to Southampton."

This could just mean that RCI have decided that the Anthem will sail from Southampton in 2023

9 hours ago, Trixie21 said:

I for one would jump on a cruise like this , even if calling only at UK ports.

My husband and I had our first dose of the vaccine  8 weeks ago, so should be getting the second one this month. Many cruises that we have been on are tender ports, so I can’t see a problem about not being able to go ashore. Not sure how Anthem compares in size to Celebrity Silhouette, but we have seen her in Liverpool.

7F269048-AA97-469E-9494-3019504D58A9.jpeg

• Like 1

Guest BigRoger
9 hours ago, ace2542 said:

How many UK PORTS UK ONLY can fit the ship? I don't know the answer to that question.

I too don’t know the answer which ports can accommodate (Greenock to add to your list, Plymouth? And maybe special deal with Irish republic?? Who knows...) - remember though the ‘successful’ sailings on Quantum are cruises to nowhere... suspect there will be a lot of demand even if she managed only a few ports plus some sea days initially and then as vaccinations and confidence spread then progressively add some EU ports if and when the vaccination passports come into force...

My guess ports could include some of these: Southampton, Jersey, Belfast, Liverpool, somewhere west of Scotland or the Isle of Man, maybe a couple of the islands (Shetland), East coast of Scotland, Newcastle perhaps

There might be a deal with the Irish government regarding vaccines, possibly even the Faroes or Iceland

The Open is in-mid July, and there will be other events that could be tied in for special cruises. I am sure there are plenty of people at RCI discussing perfectly adequate cruises for later in the summer

8 minutes ago, compman9 said:

My guess ports could include some of these: Southampton, Jersey, Belfast, Liverpool, somewhere west of Scotland or the Isle of Man, maybe a couple of the islands (Shetland), East coast of Scotland, Newcastle perhaps

There might be a deal with the Irish government regarding vaccines, possibly even the Faroes or Iceland

The Open is in-mid July, and there will be other events that could be tied in for special cruises. I am sure there are plenty of people at RCI discussing perfectly adequate cruises for later in the summer

I'd be up for this definitely!!!!! 🙂

20 minutes ago, compman9 said:

The ship might be too big for a lot of the english ports? Surely Anthem would have been into Liverpool if it could the way Cunard and Disney and Princess have.

10 hours ago, BigRoger said:

I too don’t know the answer which ports can accommodate (Greenock to add to your list, Plymouth? And maybe special deal with Irish republic??

There won’t be cruise ships coming to the rep of Ireland. Our government are being ultra cautious after Christmas festivities resulted in the fastest rising infection rate in the world. We’re only getting the numbers under control now. 
It’d be great to see Anthem doing sailings out of Southampton but I don’t know if there will be big demand for cruises to nowhere, especially if there are travel corridors to Greece over the Summer. 

Who really wants to sail around the freezing cold channel in the pissing rain and wind on a UK ports only cruise. half a day in southampton and 1 day in the atlantic is bad enough each way on a normal med cruise from the UK.

A better idea would be sail to Gibraltar where the sun shines and the sea is calm. Greek isles might be doable too. 

• Haha 1

There's been some info today from Royal... https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/news/cruise/domestic-cruise-restart-will-be-short-term-measure-says-royal-boss

Not sure I agree with the limited appeal comment!

I'm really fed up of seeing huge modern ships here in Southampton (most of which never come here anyway) that I can't get on, looking forward to a few nights at sea away from home, be it to nowhere, the Fjords or other UK ports.

Same website also confirms that kids are allowed on the Israel sailings, given they currently can't be vaccinated they will be tested on departure.

Will be interesting to see the prices for whatever is offered, will they be priced low to drive demand and regain interest or high to recoup prices and cover possible lower numbers.

So many questions, variables, possibilities, but at least some hope!

On 3/2/2021 at 10:55 PM, Welshdoc said:

There's been some info today from Royal... https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/news/cruise/domestic-cruise-restart-will-be-short-term-measure-says-royal-boss

Not sure I agree with the limited appeal comment!

I'm really fed up of seeing huge modern ships here in Southampton (most of which never come here anyway) that I can't get on, looking forward to a few nights at sea away from home, be it to nowhere, the Fjords or other UK ports.

Same website also confirms that kids are allowed on the Israel sailings, given they currently can't be vaccinated they will be tested on departure.

Will be interesting to see the prices for whatever is offered, will they be priced low to drive demand and regain interest or high to recoup prices and cover possible lower numbers.

So many questions, variables, possibilities, but at least some hope!

Your only interested because you cant do anything else. 

The water around the UK might as well be the water around Iceland. Its not a fun place to sail even in the summer.  

Im not sure what the point will be given the restrictions they will likely put on everyone on board. Can you imagine the nightclub being full of pissed up brits who have been locked up for a year? 

Think more "socially distanced bingo and 2 drink limit per person per night" type of cruise around the baltic Irish Sea with a nice gentle gale force Atlantic breeze blowing the sunbeds around the deck. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hello,

June - no,

July - 50/50

August - yes (as a sort of 'new normal')

September - yes (as August)

October - (somewhere between 'new' and 'old normal')

I would not be surprised to see an extra unscheduled cruise after the last Southampton round trip and before the TA to get the Anthem back to the USA after the CDC conditional sail T&Cs lapse.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 1

Guest BigRoger

It’s clear from the interview that Ben Boldin gave that he’s not keen on doing a lot of cruising to nowhere or around the UK apart from at the restart... he doesn’t see a lot of demand for it (I personally think he’s not right but who am I) he is though rightly focused on when Anthem can sail to France or Spain but pragmatism will take precedence and gaining some income while they need to sail with reduced occupancy anyway. 

Also contrary to some views expressed by other posters - I’d not try to persuade others whether any of this is going to be good, bad or indifferent... it just won’t be the same... but they can book us on, we might just be lucky but have had beautiful weather in the North Sea whenever we’ve sailed in the summer...

1 minute ago, BigRoger said:

It’s clear from the interview that Ben Boldin gave that he’s not keen on doing a lot of cruising to nowhere or around the UK apart from at the restart... he doesn’t see a lot of demand for it (I personally think he’s not right but who am I) he is though rightly focused on when Anthem can sail to France or Spain but pragmatism will take precedence and gaining some income while they need to sail with reduced occupancy anyway. 

Also contrary to some views expressed by other posters - I’d not try to persuade others whether any of this is going to be good, bad or indifferent... it just won’t be the same... but they can book us on, we might just be lucky but have had beautiful weather in the North Sea whenever we’ve sailed in the summer...

There isnt any demand for it. Not in relation to the fact there will be a load of P&O ships and Princess ships doing the same thing and all the other cruise lines desperate to stop losing money at any cost. 

The UK cruise market isnt that big. They struggle to fill 2 RCCL ships out of southampton every year. Not to mention all the other lines and that is sailing somewhere warm!

• Like 1