Anthem UK cruises in the summer?

Hello,

My late brother and his family were due to sail on Iona but his early passing stopped that from happening.

Whilst the refund process is cranking away, my sister-in-law is still receiving reports from P&O on new sailing protocols.

Two are these: There will be no self-service tea/coffee anywhere; and kettles will be removed from cabins. Forewarned or not, I foresee a riot.

Whether RCI follows or not does not affect me as (in a whisper) I take my own kettle.

Regards,

Cublet

PS: One around the UK cruise would interest me, not the nine I have left booked for this year.

14 hours ago, Pandamonia said:

A CEO wont come out and say hes struggling to fill the ships. Given the lack of information about foreign holidays and the price of domestic stays these will probably not struggle, there doesnt seem to be capacity information either. There are probably enough 60+ year olds which are booked for their second jab by X date and they want to have a holiday of some kind. 

Sadly, I really don’t think P&O are struggling to fill their ships.  And neither will FO who go on sale today. But at least your negativity is consistent. 

As @kernow says.... RCI are missing a trick here.... big time.

@cublet... no kettles... how very dare they!!  

Edited by little britain
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, little britain said:

Sadly, I really don’t think P&O are struggling to fill their ships.  And neither will FO who go on sale today. But at least your negativity is consistent. 

Can’t you get coffee/tea delivered to your cabin by room service?

M8

Just now, little britain said:

Never the same as the water isn’t hot enough to make a proper cuppa.  (Some) Brits need their kettles!  

Doesn't bother me but DH loves to boil his own kettle😁

37 minutes ago, little britain said:

What exactly is there to be positive about? Multiple holidays cancelled with little or no notice or info. Ban on travel outside the UK. 

I know if you are over 60 in this pandemic you have plenty to be positive about. Considering youre still alive and all that. 

1 hour ago, little britain said:

Without any doubt at all RCI would sell out round Britain cruise that were offered over the summer.

You just try and book a UK holiday for July or August, you can't most are already booked. I tried to book a table for dinner in my local pub for July for my birthday and its already completely booked.

How it would all work with vaccine certificates, negative tests etc I don't know but even with a third wave being talked about there is a 12 month frustrated demand for leisure and the next few months could be like the roaring twenties all over again.

If I was an executive at RCI I'd want a piece of the action $$.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tin can said:

Without any doubt at all RCI would sell out round Britain cruise that were offered over the summer.

You just try and book a UK holiday for July or August, you can't most are already booked. I tried to book a table for dinner in my local pub for July for my birthday and its already completely booked.

How it would all work with vaccine certificates, negative tests etc I don't know but even with a third wave being talked about there is a 12 month frustrated demand for leisure and the next few months could be like the roaring twenties all over again.

If I was an executive at RCI I'd want a piece of the action $$.

Indeed

I started this thread speculating bout the Anthem doing UK cruises. I am pretty sure they could add at least one other ship before the end of summer and fill it

There are only about 17million of 68million left to vaccinate and they are in a group that has only seen around 500 die of the virus since it started. Despite all the overly-cautious news, the UK is pretty much done with the virus (as a pandemic) now

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, compman9 said:

Indeed

I started this thread speculating bout the Anthem doing UK cruises. I am pretty sure they could add at least one other ship before the end of summer and fill it

There are only about 17million of 68million left to vaccinate and they are in a group that has only seen around 500 die of the virus since it started. Despite all the overly-cautious news, the UK is pretty much done with the virus (as a pandemic) now

I agree, July and August two ships would sail full from the UK.

The UK's desire for leisure and holidays and the fact that the Bank of England has reported that £250 billion has been saved this last 12 months by those fortunate to have kept working should not be overlooked.

I'm just an average 40 something with a family and it may sound flippant but if RCI offered UK cruises today I would book one without hesitation irrespective of cost or itinerary and I don't think I would be alone.

Of course people on this site are going to say that UK cruises will be sellouts - people who post on here are generally passionate about cruising and therefore eager to go again. I have been astounded at how desperate some people are to cruise again - regardless of what restrictions may be in place.

However not sure there will be that much pent up demand to sell out round Britain cruises to nowhere this summer on RC ships if vaccinations are also required. I can see that P&O may have a loyal older following who will have mainly been vaccinated. However RC summer cruises from the UK attract many families and it will be some months before the age group with younger families will have both vaccinations. If RC also charge the inflated prices they usually do from the UK, this would also put people off.

As someone who has cruised a lot over the years - mostly on RC - I have no desire to travel around the UK with our dubious weather on a ship full of just Brits. I have a villa booked in Portugal (cancelled from last year) and will be gutted if it doesn't go ahead, but if it doesn't I won't be looking for an alternative in the UK and certainly won't be spending my time potentially cooped up indoors on a ship sailing around the UK or only allowed to get off on organised tours.

1 hour ago, Bobal said:

certainly won't be spending my time potentially cooped up indoors on a ship sailing around the UK or only allowed to get off on organised tours.

Anthem is ideal for cool weather cruises. Two indoor pool areas and a big indoor sports deck plus other big indoor areas

Personally I love walking the decks or staring out to sea even if its cool, add in all the shows and entertainment and nice restaurants 🤷‍♀️ I would give it a go....... Maybe, if not too expensive 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobal said:

Of course people on this site are going to say that UK cruises will be sellouts - people who post on here are generally passionate about cruising and therefore eager to go again. I have been astounded at how desperate some people are to cruise again - regardless of what restrictions may be in place.

However not sure there will be that much pent up demand to sell out round Britain cruises to nowhere this summer on RC ships if vaccinations are also required. I can see that P&O may have a loyal older following who will have mainly been vaccinated. However RC summer cruises from the UK attract many families and it will be some months before the age group with younger families will have both vaccinations. If RC also charge the inflated prices they usually do from the UK, this would also put people off.

As someone who has cruised a lot over the years - mostly on RC - I have no desire to travel around the UK with our dubious weather on a ship full of just Brits. I have a villa booked in Portugal (cancelled from last year) and will be gutted if it doesn't go ahead, but if it doesn't I won't be looking for an alternative in the UK and certainly won't be spending my time potentially cooped up indoors on a ship sailing around the UK or only allowed to get off on organised tours.

Obviously many people disagree as the P and O website has crashed with the number of people trying to book and you cannot get through on the telephone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tin can said:

I agree, July and August two ships would sail full from the UK.

The UK's desire for leisure and holidays and the fact that the Bank of England has reported that £250 billion has been saved this last 12 months by those fortunate to have kept working should not be overlooked.

I'm just an average 40 something with a family and it may sound flippant but if RCI offered UK cruises today I would book one without hesitation irrespective of cost or itinerary and I don't think I would be alone.

I agree rcl have missed a trick, what a perfect opportunity to test their procedures and get some koney rolling in. 

I have been keeping an eye on P & O and a lot of the cheaper cabins have already sold out and bookings are very strong.

Having been on anthem last march it has everything you need to cruise the uk, closed roof pool and plenty of stuff for the kids.

Hopefully my H of the S from barcelona goes ahead late aug but even so i would also book a summer round UK on Anthem.

Is it the simple case that RCL dont see anything outside of the US as a big enough market for them?

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

Anthem is ideal for cool weather cruises. Two indoor pool areas and a big indoor sports deck plus other big indoor areas

I actually did a one week cruise on Ovation from Southampton when she first launched. The weather was awful, it rained 6 days out of 7, some so heavily that I didn't even set foot outdoors, so I do know what it's like to be on that class of ship and what is on offer.  However, there is a limit to stuff you can do which doesn't have to be booked - and the two best things (ifly and North Star) lend themselves to good weather. 270 is a wonderful venue, but we struggled to find a seat in there sometimes during the bad weather. I rarely use the pools when the weather is fantastic so the thought of using indoor pools crammed with other guests doesn't appeal. 

1 hour ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

Obviously many people disagree as the P and O website has crashed with the number of people trying to book and you cannot get through on the telephone.

Yes, if you read my post I did say I could see the appeal to P&O lovers, although a crashing website isn't necessarily due to demand, may just be a poor website 😉

I fully expected disagreement with my post - as I said people who post on here are passionate (and very protective) of cruising. My comments weren't critical of people who want to cruise from the UK, just another perspective. For those of you who are keen to go I hope you enjoy your cruise and the weather is kind to you.

• Like 2

Guest BigRoger

I guess as always with this you have to look at it from your own point of view.... we’ve had cruises cancelled for January, April, May, June and are now waiting on Rhapsody and Harmony to save our summer plans.... if someone on RC tell me they either won’t be coming over (Rhapsody) or not sailing from Civit or available to UK passengers.... but we can go as many times as we want from Southampton on Anthem or any other ship.... it’s simple.... bring it on and let’s use up those FCCs.... what people criticising the idea of cruises to nowhere miss is.... we love transatlantics when there are days and days of lovely relaxing sea days.... it’s just the same... the destination is the ship (for us at least)....

The UK is implementing a complete international travel ban starting next Monday.

Legislation just published here:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2021/364/contents/made

typical UK-style article with 8 million ads here:

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/1413337/holidays-illegal-fine-new-covid-laws-overseas-travel-monday

Based on my read of both of these, Anthem will not be sailing out of the UK in June no matter what.

Edited by jborchart
corrected first line
  • Haha 1

Looking at the travel restrictions above this is only untill the gov allows travel. This is to encourage people to stop traveling from now till that time poss 27th may depending on conditions and legislation to fine people a large ammount for unimportant travel, eg you tube'er going off to do holiday blogs etc....

Its also coming in to help stop the rising of cases in europe from reaching the uk as the current into hotel isolation is not massively working. 

Guest BigRoger

Nothings changed.... we’ve been banned from travel for ages... this is just legislation tightening and formalising and establishing penalties for non compliance... it doesn’t affect sailing in British waters........ it’s the clue is international travel...  latest is that there will be information about ‘international’ travel as early as April... got to say though with the state Europe is in and CDC seemingly now disowning responsibility is USA I suspect ‘international’ travel is looking dodgy (unfortunately).... roll on sea days around Britain this summer... please

2 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Is it the simple case that RCL dont see anything outside of the US as a big enough market for them?

Might well be the case, if the P & O website has crashed from bookings though I'd be very tempted if I was an RCI Exec to consider pulling up the anchors of Anthem and Jewel and put them to work 50 miles away in Southampton.

The bean counters would love the onboard revenue generated from bar and speciality spending after pretty much 12 months of lockdown for us. 

MSC have announced that they will be sending one of their ships with the Yacht Club experience to Southampton ... now that is a way to tempt new customers.... meanwhile the brand new Virtuosa is sitting in St Nazaire. Coincidence 🤷‍♀️!!

Princess itineraries  ( yes including some with port stops!) out today . Very favourable pricing starting at £539pp for 3n including drinks, Wi-fi and tips. 

Edited by little britain

38 minutes ago, little britain said:

MSC have announced that they will be sending one of their ships with the Yacht Club experience to Southampton ... now that is a way to tempt new customers.... meanwhile the brand new Virtuosa is sitting in St Nazaire. Coincidence 🤷‍♀️!!

Princess itineraries  ( yes including some with port stops!) out today . Very favourable pricing starting at £539pp for 3n including drinks, Wi-fi and tips. 

Where is the MSC announcement about Yacht Club?