Cruise ship will be fully vaccinated..?

Porcupine 52

When one starts I think all cruise lines will jump on board.  In some ways I think it would be a lot easier for Viking because of the age of most of the customers.   With a corona lab and everyone has a shot and a bubble on excursions... maybe they can get back sailing...?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2021/03/01/royal-caribbean-offer-fully-vaccinated-sailing-new-cruise-ship/6871142002/

• Like 2

Even if one of the cruise lines wants to accommodate anti-vaxers, I suspect, at least short term, they will find at least 1 country on most itineraries that will require proof of vaccination. Therefore, everyone (crew & pax) will require vaccination, or else they have to skip those ports.

No option for anyone not vaccinated to remain on board.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Even if one of the cruise lines wants to accommodate anti-vaxers, I suspect, at least short term, they will find at least 1 country on most itineraries that will require proof of vaccination. Therefore, everyone (crew & pax) will require vaccination, or else they have to skip those ports.

No option for anyone not vaccinated to remain on board.

I sure hope that is the case!  at least for Viking.  I'm sure there will be lines that go for the money to be had from anti-vaxers.

Also, it will remain to be seen how the cruise lines deal with those who are anti-vaxers claiming it through religious rather than political reasons, if the lines do require vaccinations.   Seems like the safety of the ship and passengers is the utmost objective.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

I sure hope that is the case!  at least for Viking.  I'm sure there will be lines that go for the money to be had from anti-vaxers.

Also, it will remain to be seen how the cruise lines deal with those who are anti-vaxers claiming it through religious rather than political reasons, if the lines do require vaccinations.   Seems like the safety of the ship and passengers is the utmost objective.

If the past is prologue, no shot card no boarding ship.  Passengers or crew...

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Jim Avery said:

If the past is prologue, no shot card no boarding ship.  Passengers or crew...

So true Jim.

When I went to sea, we had 2 choices - get all vaccinations and keep them updated, or find a new career. Generally, when a country mandates a vaccination is required, they don't accept excuses. The one exception has been Yellow Fever, with age being a reason not to be vaccinated, due to the increased risk.

• Like 5

Although the idea of a bubble on the shore excursions is attractive, I wonder how practical it would be.

Some folks want their own guide, their own itinerary, etc. And they will walk out into the crowd, even if the host country is in a medically distressed situation.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

Although the idea of a bubble on the shore excursions is attractive, I wonder how practical it would be.

Some folks want their own guide, their own itinerary, etc. And they will walk out into the crowd, even if the host country is in a medically distressed situation.

I guess all they have to say is do you want to get back on the ship?

Requiring all passengers to be vaccinated for covid would not surprise me at all during the initial start up period.  Its likely that some countries will require the vaccine to enter anyway, and the last thing the cruise lines can afford to have happen would be a repeat of last years outbreaks onboard.   

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Bubble excursions are a deal breaker for us. If that’s the rule in late ‘22, there will be a cabin open up for the World Cruise.

Will be interesting to see what is going to happen.  Cruise Ships may not have an option if they want to get back sailing.  I will be very surprised if they let customers pick a guide.  I think all excursions will be approved by the cruise line.  But we still are a ways off from them starting.

12 minutes ago, Porcupine 52 said:

Will be interesting to see what is going to happen.  Cruise Ships may not have an option if they want to get back sailing.  I will be very surprised if they let customers pick a guide.  I think all excursions will be approved by the cruise line.  But we still are a ways off from them starting.

I would never pay what a WC costs if I have to 1. Mask up all day; 2. Go only on their excursions.  Seems stupid to do so.  Just one old ship captain's opinion.🍸

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

I would never pay what a WC costs if I have to 1. Mask up all day; 2. Go only on their excursions.  Seems stupid to do so.  Just one old ship captain's opinion.🍸

Or any cruise for that matter.

• Like 3

P & O cruises in the UK have cancelled all international cruises until the end of August for 4 of their ships and end September for the other 2.   They are going to offer round Britain cruises during that period apparently.    Wonder if our end of September Viking cruise to Norway will happen ?  Was fairly confident but not so sure now.

Just had our second Pfizer vaccination.  UK are doing very well with vaccinations thankfully.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Porcupine 52 said:

How the excursions are handled will be real interesting to see.  I might be able to live with ship arranged excursions only for a while, but they will have to be more than a 2-3 hour bus tour/walking tour and then back to the boat.  We cruise for the chance to explore the stops as much as we can.  The trips we have planned are true bucket list items and a brief overview of a city is not going to do it for us.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

And if Viking has established a bubble policy, then hopefully they will enforce it and refuse re-boarding to anyone who leaves the bubble -- just as was reported this past summer on other cruise lines. If we can't live with these rules, then perhaps we should hold off traveling until such rules are no longer necessary.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

And if Viking has established a bubble policy, then hopefully they will enforce it and refuse re-boarding to anyone who leaves the bubble -- just as was reported this past summer on other cruise lines. If we can't live with these rules, then perhaps we should hold off traveling until such rules are no longer necessary.

I have a feeling that the cruise industry is going to do every thing they can to insure people follow the rules.  Again I think "most" of Viking customers will do their best to follow the rules.  A party ship full of 21 year olds......I would be concerned

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Porcupine 52 said:

I have a feeling that the cruise industry is going to do every thing they can to insure people follow the rules.  Again I think "most" of Viking customers will do their best to follow the rules.  A party ship full of 21 year olds......I would be concerned

The incident that made the papers and these boards last summer was not a bunch of 21 year olds; it was a family group, parents and children.

Sadly, while I would like to think that most Viking guests will follow the rules, I am still cynical enough to think that that there are among the 'retired with sufficient disposable income' demographic that makes up the Viking clientele enough who think that because they are plunking down so much for their vacation that they are entitled to ignore the rules. That is the the group that I am concerned about.

• Like 1

All I can is it is going to be interesting.  But you are so right there will be a group of people that will want to do what they want.  If you kick a few people off the ship for breaking the rules I think the word would get around....I can already hear the people that get kicked off  " YOU CAN'T DO THAT... I'M SUING"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Porcupine 52 said:

All I can is it is going to be interesting.  But you are so right there will be a group of people that will want to do what they want.  If you kick a few people off the ship for breaking the rules I think the word would get around....I can already hear the people that get kicked off  " YOU CAN'T DO THAT... I'M SUING"

I suspect the cruise lines will amend their rules of carriage to address this possibility. And make it quite clear that their rules are not amendable by the individual.

4 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

The incident that made the papers and these boards last summer was not a bunch of 21 year olds; it was a family group, parents and children.

Sadly, while I would like to think that most Viking guests will follow the rules, I am still cynical enough to think that that there are among the 'retired with sufficient disposable income' demographic that makes up the Viking clientele enough who think that because they are plunking down so much for their vacation that they are entitled to ignore the rules. That is the the group that I am concerned about.

Yup. The folks who believe the rules are made for other people.

39 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

Hopefully them that believe the rules were made for others, have an opportunity to meet the Master, who carries all the powers of the Shipping Act.😀

• Like 2

We are dependent on three things:

1. The USA has to get its s**t together and reduce infections.  Vaccination or not, I don't see other countries allowing entry of ships full of Americans if 50,000 infections a day are the norm.

2. Viking has to say No shot, No boarding to both passengers and crew. If I have to wear a mask on board 24/7, I won't be on board. (BTW, I'm doing my part to reduce infections, but I loath the mask!)

3. Countries will have to accommodate tourism beyond any bubble. Viking does have excellent tours, but they all have "free time" built into them. If I can't experience some parts of a country in my own way, what's the point of going?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Hopefully them that believe the rules were made for others, have an opportunity to meet the Master, who carries all the powers of the Shipping Act.😀

1 hour ago, Cienfuegos said:

1 hour ago, Cienfuegos said:

I suspect the cruise lines will amend their rules of carriage to address this possibility. And make it quite clear that their rules are not amendable by the individual.

A very cynical LOL.  We are talking about the people who don't read the small print, who think that the only information they need to know is what they are told on the phone when they make their reservation.  

Reminds me of the guy who showed up in one of the Viking forums angry because he was denied boarding at the airport because he lacked the required visas to enter Russia and was out 10s of thousands of dollars.  "Did you read your invoice? Did you read the paperwork you were sent?" "No." 

• Like 2