Jump to content

Cruise ship will be fully vaccinated..?


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

 

Thanks Chief - excellent addendum.

I was surprised by your statement that Canadian vessels on domestic routes did not need to have an ISM Code.  I looked it up, and saw that those vessels didn't even get SOLAS certification, but a Canadian certificate in lieu of.  Interesting, the two nations handle maritime issues differently.  All US vessels above 500 tons have to meet SOLAS and ISM.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

I was surprised by your statement that Canadian vessels on domestic routes did not need to have an ISM Code.  I looked it up, and saw that those vessels didn't even get SOLAS certification, but a Canadian certificate in lieu of.  Interesting, the two nations handle maritime issues differently.  All US vessels above 500 tons have to meet SOLAS and ISM.

 

As they say, "Only in Canada, eh!!"

 

Until about the late 2000's we didn't even have delegation to Class, so every year had both Flag & Class Inspectors/Surveyors conducting inspections. Every year, upon completion of the annual inspection, Transport Canada issued the Master an SIC16, which was the approval to operate a passenger vessel - it contained limits of operation and we had multiple licences outlining the number of crew required and number of pax. My highest licence was 2,052 pax and only 48 crew, for a total of 2,100.

 

While most ships were not equiped per SOLAS, my last ship was fully SOLAS compliant and was even rated UMS, although it was never used.

 

In 1998 we voluntarily accepted ISM and implemented the full requirements, with were upgraded with changes to ISM. After they lost a ship in 2006, they changed the standard to industry best practices, hiring Wrightway from UK. Then about 2011, I was tasked with selecting and leading a team to develop the new Level 2 Marine Ops, liaising with my Engineering & Hotel leads to ensure all 3 were in synch. Also had to develop the process and format for Senior Masters to develop the level 3 by class of vessel. 

 

With respect to Certification, on all but the smallest ships on the really short runs in sheltered waters, we did require SOLAS Certificates of Competency, although they did grandfather us for the 5-yr renewals. Provided we had 12-months seatime, or 2-years in marine shorebased employment, the 5-yr renewal required a valid medical, seatime testimonial and renewal was a rubber stamp. Even my 5-yrs managing the shipyard, when I got possibly 2 or 3 weeks seatime most summers, I had my CoC renewed without any additional courses. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Interesting.  We also have to undergo both flag and class inspections annually.

 

Once we completed the delegation to Class, we only dealt with Class. The first few years were very much a learning curve, especially with the LSA, FFE and Bridge Equipment. The LR chaps knew their stuff and only needed help with the chart corrections, publications, etc. However the ABS chaps had to be walked through the entire process, I basically thaught them how we conduct our service and inspections before presenting to the Inspector. Then up in the Bridge, had to teach them everything.

 

Transport Canada got out of big ship inspections to focus on tugs, F/V's, etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Porcupine 52 said:

Also Pfizer is saying vaccine is staying good for over 6 months.  That is good news for me and every one elsehttps://www.cnn.com/2021/04/01/health/pfizer-covid-vaccine-efficacy-six-months-bn/index.html

 

 

Yes! And according to the WSJ today, it has proven highly effective against the range of variants so far as well. Really good news.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This weekend our deviation flight to Paris was cancelled! I guess the EU will not be open by August of this year. We cancelled our Pre-Cruise plans in Paris and we will fly into London on the same day as our cruise....watching the news this morning and they are saying that the UK will be requiring a “Vaccine Passport” (they may call it something else) guess that answers the question...Viking does not have to require the passport...the country you are going to will require it! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Looks like NCL will be requiring vaccination to cruise with them.  I assume this includes Regent, etc.:

 

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24706-norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-submits-plan-to-cdc-asks-for-july-4-restart.html

 

 

When I read the article, I assumed the letter to CDC covered the 3 brands, so NCL, Regent & Oceania will require mandatory vaccinations for the entire compliment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hockeyump said:

They say all passengers vaccinated so presumably this will apply to those under 18 as well?  

Under 18 bookings not accepted on Viking sorry 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hockeyump said:

They say all passengers vaccinated so presumably this will apply to those under 18 as well?  

 

Based on the NCL Holdings notice where their Chairman stated 100% mandatory vaccinations for pax & crew, I assume that means vaccinations for kids, or else kids can't sail.

 

I can see that working for Regent and Oceania, but thought kids were a large driver of mass-market NCL business. Will be interesting to see how this one plays out, as RCI only require negative tests for <18's. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

They have also updated the FAQ page in the Health & Safety Policy on the website

 

https://www.vikingcruisescanada.com/oceans/my-trip/health-and-safety/health-and-safety-faq.html

 

Mandatory vaccinations through at least 31st July 2021. A little late, but great to see Viking now requiring mandatory vaccinations.

Yes Andy - it was great to see this news.  That is the ONLY reason we decided to book the Bermuda cruise today.  When I read the news about NCL (which sent their stock surging by the way) yesterday, in which they were requiring vaccinations, I thought Viking better get off the fence soon (since Regent and Oceania compete).  Well - at least they have 1 leg off the fence!

Remains to be seen what documents they will require.

Our TA also told us they likely will be requiring passengers to have medical insurance proof for the trip as well (which obviously has been optional before).  Not hard to understand that one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to hear that Viking has established vaccine requirements for this next batch of cruises. Thanks to all of you who contacted TellUs to support that idea! I don't know if that was an influence on their decision, but I am pleased with the outcome.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, SoBaycruiser said:

Vaccinations will be required on Viking for the Welcome Back cruises...

LINK HERE

 

19 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Remains to be seen what documents they will require.

 

Read Covid-19 Policies and Procedure on the Viking website: https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/210405_COVID-19PoliciesAndProcedures_Ver1.pdf

 

This spells it all out in detail -- including what documentation and a deadline for submission to Viking.

 

 

Edited by Peregrina651
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, lackcreativity said:

Glad to hear that Viking has established vaccine requirements for this next batch of cruises. Thanks to all of you who contacted TellUs to support that idea! I don't know if that was an influence on their decision, but I am pleased with the outcome.

I'm willing to guess they were simply following the requirements of Iceland and Bermuda, each of whom have put in place procedures that makes those cruise possible.  Iceland requires vaccination in order to avoid mandatory testing and a strictly enforced quarantine (https://www.landlaeknir.is/um-embaettid/greinar/grein/item44162/Certificate-of-vaccination-against-COVID-19-accepted-at-the-border).  Bermuda requires testing pre-arrival and on day 4 & 8 afterwards even if you've been vaccinated (https://www.gotobermuda.com/bta/press-release/bermuda-tourism-authority-update). Am assuming that Bermuda accepts Viking's daily test procedures to fulfill the retest requirement. Going forward -- Viking will march according to the countries being visited.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Read Covid-19 Policies and Procedure on the Viking website: https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/210405_COVID-19PoliciesAndProcedures_Ver1.pdf

 

This spells it all out in detail -- including what documentation and a deadline for submission to Viking.

Also need to be cognizant of the documentation requirements of the destination country - both Iceland and Bermuda require per-registration to travel there.  Would not assume that Viking's Health Survey etc replace them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Yes Andy - it was great to see this news.  That is the ONLY reason we decided to book the Bermuda cruise today.  When I read the news about NCL (which sent their stock surging by the way) yesterday, in which they were requiring vaccinations, I thought Viking better get off the fence soon (since Regent and Oceania compete).  Well - at least they have 1 leg off the fence!

Remains to be seen what documents they will require.

Our TA also told us they likely will be requiring passengers to have medical insurance proof for the trip as well (which obviously has been optional before).  Not hard to understand that one. 

 

We experience a requirement to prove medical insurance prior to boarding a cruise in UK back in 2017.

 

Reading the new policy, I noted they only accept FDA approved COVID vaccines, which is interesting, as the US has not approved Astra-Zenica.

 

UK has given about 18 Million does and Canada will shortly be about 2 million doses, so I am hoping that they address approvals from at least UK & Canada. Since I got my first Astra Zenica last week, and even when I get my 2nd jab, at present I wouldn't be eligible to sail with Viking.

 

Have no doubt it will br resolved.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CharTrav said:

I'm willing to guess they were simply following the requirements of Iceland and Bermuda, each of whom have put in place procedures that makes those cruise possible.  Iceland requires vaccination in order to avoid mandatory testing and a strictly enforced quarantine (https://www.landlaeknir.is/um-embaettid/greinar/grein/item44162/Certificate-of-vaccination-against-COVID-19-accepted-at-the-border).  Bermuda requires testing pre-arrival and on day 4 & 8 afterwards even if you've been vaccinated (https://www.gotobermuda.com/bta/press-release/bermuda-tourism-authority-update). Am assuming that Bermuda accepts Viking's daily test procedures to fulfill the retest requirement. Going forward -- Viking will march according to the countries being visited.

Yes, we read this.  Our TA said that Viking had informed the TA's that their likely will be additional documentation required, to be known as we approach the boarding date.  One of the items prominently mentioned is proof of medical insurance outside the USA.  (Which has been optional but most get).  That is what I was referring to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Yes, we read this.  Our TA said that Viking had informed the TA's that their likely will be additional documentation required, to be known as we approach the boarding date.  One of the items prominently mentioned is proof of medical insurance outside the USA.  (Which has been optional but most get).  That is what I was referring to.

I've written an email to customer relations and TellUs suggesting that their Covid P&P and/or their Health & Safety FAQs should include guidance that passengers needs to be aware of each country's covid specific related entry requirements (e.g., documentation) especially and including the requirement, such as Iceland and Bermuda have, to pre-register before departure. This is no different than the precautions regarding visa and passport requirements Viking has always provided. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

I've written an email to customer relations and TellUs suggesting that their Covid P&P and/or their Health & Safety FAQs should include guidance that passengers needs to be aware of each country's covid specific related entry requirements (e.g., documentation) especially and including the requirement, such as Iceland and Bermuda have, to pre-register before departure. This is no different than the precautions regarding visa and passport requirements Viking has always provided. 

 

Country specific warnings will probably be covered on MVJ, just as they had been pre-pandemic for visas and for inoculations. I guess this is something we will have to keep an eye on once we can actually get into MVJ to manage these bookings.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: Azamara - We are back with New Greece Voyages
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...