Cruise ship will be fully vaccinated..?

Porcupine 52

7 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

The incident that made the papers and these boards last summer was not a bunch of 21 year olds; it was a family group, parents and children.

Sadly, while I would like to think that most Viking guests will follow the rules, I am still cynical enough to think that that there are among the 'retired with sufficient disposable income' demographic that makes up the Viking clientele enough who think that because they are plunking down so much for their vacation that they are entitled to ignore the rules. That is the the group that I am concerned about.

Good point. We had a group like that on our first cruise with Viking River (just before Viking Ocean was launched). They  were a trial for all of us and 'earned' the prize of being banned from booking with Viking ever again 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

A very cynical LOL.  We are talking about the people who don't read the small print, who think that the only information they need to know is what they are told on the phone when they make their reservation.  

Reminds me of the guy who showed up in one of the Viking forums angry because he was denied boarding at the airport because he lacked the required visas to enter Russia and was out 10s of thousands of dollars.  "Did you read your invoice? Did you read the paperwork you were sent?" "No." 

As I've shared elsewhere, I met a couple who hadn't bothered to read the rules regarding visiting St Petersburg. They thought they could just waltz into StP on their own so hadn't reserved or booked any excursions with Viking. Their reward was to spend both days in StP stuck onboard ship. They told me (I still don't know why they chose to share their woes with me as we were returning from the 2nd day of our Ultimate StP excursion - luck?) how annoyed they were at Viking for not making sure they were aware of the visa rules. I felt no pity for them. 

Edited by CharTrav

11 hours ago, CharTrav said:

Reminds me of the guy who showed up in one of the Viking forums angry because he was denied boarding at the airport because he lacked the required visas to enter Russia and was out 10s of thousands of dollars.

I remember that post too!  I tell the story to people all the time.  I encountered one couple who also did not normally read the trip documents ("don't have time to read all that") and walked through Machu Picchu in light sandals (in the rain).

13 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Hopefully them that believe the rules were made for others, have an opportunity to meet the Master, who carries all the powers of the Shipping Act.😀

Right on.  Back in my ship driving days I put a few "uncooperative" crew on the beach.  As a passenger I have seen at least two instances of the Captain putting passengers ashore for misbehaving.  If I were to sail on a ship I would obey the rules.  If I didn't like the rules, I would look elsewhere to spend travel monies.  🍸

• Like 2

On 3/3/2021 at 2:52 PM, Peregrina651 said:

If we can't live with these rules, then perhaps we should hold off traveling until such rules are no longer necessary.

I tend to agree. It is simply not going to magically return to what we all knew and enjoyed....at least not for quite some time. Could be years....longer even? Thing is, as I've said before, money talks. Cruise lines at this point have to be nothing short of desperate to get back out on the water.  When you throw excursions into the (re-start of cruising) equation, the variables start to exponentiate rather quickly.  To quote Sam Neill from "Jurassic Park"..."how can we possibly have the slightest idea what to expect?"  

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 2

Cruise Critic has a panel question to the right of this thread, asking about how soon the traveler would go on a cruise after vaccination.  The current response is 62% would be ready to go within three months of completing the vaccination program.

Cruise Critic has a panel question to the right of this thread, asking about how soon the traveler would go on a cruise after vaccination.  The current response is 62% would be ready to go within three months of completing the vaccination program.

23 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

For us it all depends on the rules put in place.  Quality of life is a main reason to go cruising.  Restrict that (at great expense) and it becomes a poor choice.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

It says to me that 62% of the respondents don't completely understand the downsides of the vaccination.  You can still become sick even after vaccination.  It has not yet been determined if those vaccinated can still be carriers. 

42 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

It says to me that 62% of the respondents don't completely understand the downsides of the vaccination.  You can still become sick even after vaccination.  It has not yet been determined if those vaccinated can still be carriers. 

Yes.

However, it does convey that a lot of folks are ready to travel. Regardless.

50 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

Yes.

However, it does convey that a lot of folks are ready to travel. Regardless.

And that thought is just plain scary as far as I am concerned. They are ready to travel and think that just because they have been vaccinated it will be safe for them -- or for those around them -- to do so.

Regardless is the perfect word to have chosen; it can be interpreted in so many ways --good and bad.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

For us it all depends on the rules put in place.  Quality of life is a main reason to go cruising.  Restrict that (at great expense) and it becomes a poor choice.

I'll put up with mask wearing if that's what it takes.  In some countries/cultures -- mask wearing is something they do on a normal basis -- even before the pandemic hit.  But I don't want to inadvertently start a huge debate on mask wearing .. just sayin....🙃

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Good point. I, for one, while having been very conscientious about masking...am really getting tired of it...but willing to continue since I believe it's the right thing to do to keep myself and others safe. Fine for going to the grocery store, church, etc. However, a vacation is supposed to be...well...a vacation...something away (and different) from the regular day-to-day routine. If a cruise is just going to become an extension of what I've been doing all the time for the past year - being vigilant, cautious, a little paranoid at times as well, and so on...I don't know. How much of an enjoyable trip does continuing in this same mode make for? PITA to always be conscious prior to leaving the house as to whether we've remembered to have hand sanitizer and mask along. Then there's extra laundry this past year cause we often wash stuff depending where we've been, etc. Know what I mean? I'm really ready to move on from some of this crap. And yet, almost feel guilty for expressing some of these thoughts being that what I'm experiencing certainly pales in the face of those families who have lost loved ones to the virus. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

I'm with you.  We mask where required and are between shots of the Pfizer goo.  So, we now wear masks. Do you anticipate wearing a mask 10 years from now?  Is the last year how we are to live the rest of our lives?  Ok, if not, when do we drop all this stuff and get on with life?  Even using the CDC numbers, most don't get sick.  By a huge margin.  And of those that get covid, most recover.  Again by a huge margin.  I am more worried about lots of other stuff.  If we worried about weird diseases we would have never wanted to spend a couple of weeks up the Amazon.  😳

• Like 1

Interesting article in the paper today in our neck of the woods.  The 65 plus vaccine group has hit a lull in demand so they are moving to the next younger group.  Looks like both of my son in laws should get the shots by April. 1st

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Porcupine 52 said:

Interesting article in the paper today in our neck of the woods.  The 65 plus vaccine group has hit a lull in demand so they are moving to the next younger group.  Looks like both of my son in laws should get the shots by April. 1st

We just got our first jabs at CVS Pharmacy.  Here in AZ the government is closing their sites and turning it over to Pharmacies and Med facilities.  Probably should have been there anyway.  I think it is 55 and up plus various other groups at the present time.  i think just about everyone that wants it will be done by June 1.  i hope so as the vaccination will certainly be required at cruise start up.

5 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

We just got our first jabs at CVS Pharmacy.  Here in AZ the government is closing their sites and turning it over to Pharmacies and Med facilities.  Probably should have been there anyway.  I think it is 55 and up plus various other groups at the present time.  i think just about everyone that wants it will be done by June 1.  i hope so as the vaccination will certainly be required at cruise start up.

We got ours at Rite Aid. Getting it done at chain pharmacies is much more civil than larger sites. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Ok, if not, when do we drop all this stuff and get on with life?  ...  I am more worried about lots of other stuff.  If we worried about weird diseases we would have never wanted to spend a couple of weeks up the Amazon.  😳

Thanks for raising such rational points, Jim ... you’ve always been the man-of-reason. Here in the Bay Area (where the ban on indoor dining has just been lifted - up to 25%), COVID is the least of my health worries. There are many other issues that are of greater threat than COVID.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

And of those that get covid, most recover.  Again by a huge margin.

But let’s not ignore the unfortunate fact that for some “recovery” is not really recovery at all. Some of the long term effects are horrendous and permanent. Better to have never gotten it. What I’m learning about the long term effects on youngsters who got it and “recovered” makes me weep. My 99 yr old FIL got it and “recovered” but his lungs were left permanently damaged. Prior to contracting COVID I was sure he’d hit 100 next year. Now I’m not so sure. 

Edited by CharTrav

2 hours ago, Porcupine 52 said:

I am happy for you and the folks in your neck of the woods, but at 68 I am still spending some portion of every day searching all of my links to mass vaccination sites, pharmacies, hospitals and so on in search of our first shots. Could you send some of that surplus back east?

1 hour ago, OceanPatter said:

Thanks for raising such rational points, Jim ... you’ve always been the man-of-reason. Here in the Bay Area (where the ban on indoor dining has just been lifted - up to 25%), COVID is the least of my health worries. There are many other issues that are of greater threat than COVID.

Hi OP.

Yall are still in San Francisco.  You must be getting lonely as our neck of the woods is being covered up with folks moving from California.  Haha, just kidding.  Know you love SF.  Can you believe it has been so long since the Fall of '19?  Hope to sail with you guys again soon.

J & L