Cruise ship will be fully vaccinated..?

Porcupine 52

3 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

I have no doubt that Viking is still seeking a consistent policy, and has no interest in tipping its hand yet.  The fact that several different Viking agents paused when told booked travelers would cancel suggests to me that Viking believes its expressed policy will be sufficient. And were surprised at the push back. No doubt that information moved up the chain of command.

My speculation is that Viking doesn't know how many booked passengers have been vaccinated, and how many booked passengers would cancel if vaccinations are not required. And, how many booked passengers would cancel if vaccinations are required.

Perhaps people who are not willing to be vaccinated should consider chartering private yachts with like minded guests.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Except that the cost would likely be so much higher...plus that type of cruise probably wouldn't offer the level of activity / entertainment, etc. that many are looking for in the mainstream cruiselines. 

Hopefully people who refuse to be responsible for their own health and the health of others will need to have some consequences for their actions.  Their choice not to be vaccinated should not be allowed to impact the enjoyment of others and the cruise ship industry.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Islandbc said:

Hopefully people who refuse to be responsible for their own health and the health of others will need to have some consequences for their actions.  Their choice not to be vaccinated should not be allowed to impact the enjoyment of others and the cruise ship industry.

Well stated. Thank you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Islandbc said:

Well said Janet.

• Like 1

Well I got my call from Viking today in response to my email I sent.  I had a very nice conversation and told him that I feel that vaccination of all passengers and crew are necessary for us to cruise safely.  He told me that Viking has a committee that is very seriously considering requiring vaccination to travel and that he felt it was likely that it will be adopted.  One issue he mentioned was how they could determine who has actually been vaccinated and avoid people trying to get by with some faked vaccine document.   We also discussed shore excursions and I told him that a 2-3 hour tour and then a return to the ship would not be acceptable to me.  He assured me that they are very aware of that issue and that is the other thing that is actively being discussed. For whatever its worth, he told me to expect an announcement soon with any updates to the health and safety program. 

Be sure to email Viking at tellus@viking.com if you have any input for them.  They are listening and will reach out to you for input.   

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Seems Viking is reading these CC threads also...

They have been for years, but they do not join in the conversation.

I made the "mistake" once while of using CC to complain about the proprietary jacks on the QuietVox while I was traveling; I couldn't use the use the headset because regardless of what anyone thinks they cannot be used in either ear and because of the lack of jack, I could not substitute my own. (Yes, Viking knows who I am.)

Next thing I knew, someone was at my stateroom door with earbuds that had been cobbled to the proprietary jack. When they didn't work the first try, the engineer kept at until they did.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Gojagators said:

We also discussed shore excursions and I told him that a 2-3 hour tour and then a return to the ship would not be acceptable to me. 

So you're suggesting that there are to be no excursions ashore? If that's the case, I have no further interest in cruising. Just getting on a ship for the sake of cruising around and not really getting to explore new places  just doesn't seem like money well spent to me. Are you saying that people should not be allowed to go ashore at all?  Once again....not interested. 

• Like 2

I am sure Viking will be as proactive and reactive as they can be on this issue.  If a country/port says cruise visitors will all be vaccinated, then Viking has no choice if they wish to call there.  I also believe if this is the case in one port, it will be the case in many ports and then Viking will tip towards full vaccination on all cruises. It may also be easier to book shore excursions with providers if Viking can represent the ships as fully vaccinated. The shore excursion risk from Covid would be mitigated somewhat if full vaccination was the case. It may also be the case that airlines will require vaccinations for foreign travel as well. The first step is to get sailing again.  Viking will do what they need to do to make that happen.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

So you're suggesting that there are to be no excursions ashore? If that's the case, I have no further interest in cruising. Just getting on a ship for the sake of cruising around and not really getting to explore new places  just doesn't seem like money well spent to me. Are you saying that people should not be allowed to go ashore at all?  Once again....not interested. 

No.  We discussed making a number of excursions much longer to fill the time spent in port or possibly having a  morning and different afternoon included tour available.  Like you I have absolutely no interest on just floating around the ocean.  My wife and I cruise for the ports and prefer as few sea days as possible. We also discussed arranging private tours or allowing free time in ports if everyone on board is vaccinated but I got the feeling that is less likely at first.

I would like to urge anyone who reads these boards to email Viking at tellus@viking.com.  They will reach out to you and genuinely seem interested on getting peoples thoughts.  The rep I talked too actually listened and asked for my thoughts on a few things.  It wasn't just a one minute call thanking me for my email, it was a real discussion about a number of issues.  

45 minutes ago, Gojagators said:

I would like to urge anyone who reads these boards to email Viking at tellus@viking.com.  They will reach out to you and genuinely seem interested on getting peoples thoughts.  The rep I talked too actually listened and asked for my thoughts on a few things.  It wasn't just a one minute call thanking me for my email, it was a real discussion about a number of issues.  

I urge everyone as well.  2 key topics:  vaccinations and in-port excursions/tours

My rep listened and we had quite a long (45 minutes) discussion on the phone.  We also had a very good and real discussion on several issues - even talking about expecting the unexpected (changes in restrictions depending on the itineraries and ports and in response to changes in countries, changes in arrival and departure ports, substitution of ports at the last minute, and more).  My rep stressed that we will need to be very flexible as things proceed forward.

Besides vaccinations, I also brought up that I would never cruise where there was no chance to do shore excursions.  Viking only excursions aren't my first choice but that might be the only choice and better than nothing.

I would also ask that people who do get calls let us all know what YOUR reps discussed with you.  It has been a very interesting set of comments thus far.

• Like 3

While the natural focus right now is on Viking's protocols regarding vaccinated passengers, I continue to watch their stance on what happens if a passenger tests positive during the voyage (short version - you are put ashore for recovery / quarantine). The current data continues to suggest that even vaccinated individuals may carry or acquire the virus (and hence test positive), but they are highly unlikely to experience severe symptoms, and may be completely asymptomatic.

When we cruise, we all accept the possibility of having to be hospitalized somewhere in the world due to an unforeseen severe illness. At least for me, accepting that I may have to leave the trip when still feeling fine adds another issue to the calculus.

It'll be interesting to see how the protocols unfold - hopefully the early UK trips will go, and provide additional information. 🥌🍺

• Like 1

As long as we are expressing opinions I will chip in.  As to excursions.  If all there is is a "bubble" on coaches, not interested.  Some of the very best travel experiences have been when we set out on our own in a new city and "got lost".  Travel in controlled groups are ok in dangerous situations but I much prefer travel on our own.   As a retired mariner I would be much happier with all sea days and no masks.  As to vaccines, they will be the norm for travel for the foreseeable future.  Just as they were when I was a kid.  The Yellow Card was, in some cases, more heavily scrutinized than your passport.  And to masks.  Just think for a second.  If masks were so valuable as Fauci now says, why, when everyone around here including us wore masks everywhere, did Arizona and elsewhere have a large spike this Fall and Winter?  Are we to live like this the rest of our lives?  If not then when do say no to masks?  There will be another virus, and another, and another.  The way it has been the entire history of human existence.  This is why we have immune systems.  

• Like 1

I just received my call from Viking after my Tellus email.  I brought up the fact that most countries and airlines might require vaccinations, so Viking should too.  The rep's response to that was troubling - she said if countries and airlines require vaccination, then Viking won't have to.  That seems like a cowardly way to skirt the vaccination issue and would leave me wondering if there was one airline that didn't require vaccinations, or if the country we were leaving from had changed their stance on vaccines.  I shouldn't need to be doing last minute research on whether all of the points in travel to my cruise require the vaccine.  Viking needs to take a clear stand on that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JeriGail said:

she said if countries and airlines require vaccination, then Viking won't have to. 

Uh-huh...so lemme guess...this still would seem to imply that noone boards a ship without proof of vaccination (?)  Sounds like skirting the line or deliberately avoiding the issue to me. This can be bandied back and forth and not get all of us anywhere. Ultimately won't the various health organizations - CDC, etc. - weigh in on what the cruise lines have to do. I mean, do the cruise lines get to call the shots on this? An inconsistent approach across cruise lines = basically an inadequate approach. Ah, heck, pretty soon I might just invest in a camper - seek out quiet, unpopulated spots - and enjoy. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

As a retired mariner I would be much happier with all sea days and no masks.

Nah....I see where you're coming from Jim but I just have little interest in floating around and not getting to ports. I don't travel for the cruise, but rather for the destination. I'll wear the mask if it gets me not just onboard but also on and off ship at ports. Kind of sounds like you want cruising to resume but on your terms. Guess we all do! However, I don't think that's practical. NO easy answers, and actually getting tired of kicking this back and forth so at this point I think I'll just lurk but not post to these threads. Cruise lines have no clue how to proceed - or else they already would have. 

46 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

why, when everyone around here including us wore masks everywhere, did Arizona and elsewhere have a large spike this Fall and Winter?

Based on this... https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-health/2021/02/01/why-arizona-is-worst-nationwide-us-rate-new-coronavirus-cases/4281247001/   sounds like your governor was perhaps a bit lax on certain guidelines all along?? 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

Iceland just said they will welcome people from the US and the UK, as long as they have proof of covid vaccination.  So any cruise line planning to visit Iceland will have to ensure pax and crew are vaccinated.  Or prevent the unvaccinated from trying to go ashore.  Good luck with the latter....

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Based on this... https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-health/2021/02/01/why-arizona-is-worst-nationwide-us-rate-new-coronavirus-cases/4281247001/   sounds like your governor was perhaps a bit lax on certain guidelines all along?? 

Edited 2 hours ago by OnTheJourney

Weird quoting myself but...Jim....since it was in reply to one of your posts, I had second thoughts on using this source, which may or may not be accurate. Is it possible the surge in cases in fall was simply due to people migrating back indoors following the summer?  Nationwide, on the whole, the entire country went up during the fall and peaked in early January. 

Edited by OnTheJourney