Cruise ship will be fully vaccinated..?

Porcupine 52

3 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Wouldn't it still be best (certainly not from a financial standpoint) to just push all this off till the start of 2022?

That’s what we’ve just decided to do, will focus on putting in a new pool, etc., and raising a Doberman puppy.  Far too much sturm und drang associated with cruising this year.

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Despite the possible shenanigans likely to be involved in circumventing the proof of vaccination

I'm sitting here reading the latest posts and I'm thinking a couple of things--

• just how many people are going to go through the hassle of getting falsified vaccination certificates just to take a cruise. Really, wouldn't it just be easier to get in line and get the vaccine?
  • if Viking is among the cruise lines that accepted the not-vaccinated, then guess who the non-vaccinated are going to sail with-- almost guarantees that there will be a greater percentage of non-vaccinated pax on board
  • I understand why it is hard to insist that crew members get vaccinated; as much as they want to be vaccinated, as young and health people who are not considered essential workers, they are at the bottom of the pecking order and it will be a long time before they are eligible. If Viking waits for 100% vaccination for the crew, they will never resume operations. So, just another reason to insist that all guests be vaccinated: to protect the crew until they can be vaccinated.
  • I get the idea that requiring a vaccination is not fair to some people. So what!? Life isn't always fair. Get over it.

• Like 4

Is there no National Vaccination register in the US? We have one here in Australia, all linked to everyone's Medicare number and which shows in everyone's unique Medicare app on the phone. Doesn't require a QR reader etc. 

Adiitionally it is likely that Qantas will have a requirement in future, I'd say by October this year if they recommence internationally by then, that all passengers must be vaccinated. 

We have a Viking River cruise in Egypt this December. I doubt that our borders will allow us to depart Australia by then but if there is no vaccination requirement then we will have to cancel and I will expect a full refund. 

18 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Is there no National Vaccination register in the US?

Don't forget - the US doesn't have any kind of national health care, so we also don't have any kind of national identifying numbers.  Those over 65 are eligible for Medicare, and we have Medicare numbers, but so far my vaccination has only been reported to my primary care physician.

• Like 1

When the Viking rep called me back, I told her that I thought the unvaccinated passengers would also be the ones who might wander off on excursions or not obey the health and safety rules.  If Viking implemented a vaccination required policy, then they'd eliminate the passengers more likely to cause problems.  The rep agreed with me.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JeriGail said:

Don't forget - the US doesn't have any kind of national health care, so we also don't have any kind of national identifying numbers.  Those over 65 are eligible for Medicare, and we have Medicare numbers, but so far my vaccination has only been reported to my primary care physician.

If you're on Medicare, that's who paid for it. So they know. Medicare sent me an email instructing me to list Medicare as my insurance provider when I got my first Pfizer dose. 

But you're right to remind folks that we in the US do not have a national health insurance except for folks on Medicare and Medicaid. 

Edited by CharTrav

I think the keyword may be 'refunds' - an unintended consequence of the voucher scheme. If you ARE vaccinated but Viking DOES NOT REQUIRE vaccines then you may CHOOSE not to go, and the current scheme remains in play. (You can get a refund after two years if you continue to choose not to cruise; but of course conditions may change and you will elect to go later - Viking wins.) If you ARE NOT vaccinated but Viking DOES REQUIRE vaccines, then they've areguably changed terms and whether or not they legally have the right to do so, it could trigger demands for immediate refunds and put the aroma of class-action in the air for the anti-vaxers. 

I'd think the best way out of the dilemma is for countries to mandate vaccines for embarking / debarking cruise passengers, thus taking the cruise lines off the hook. 

1 hour ago, cmaasfamily said:

I think the keyword may be 'refunds' - an unintended consequence of the voucher scheme. If you ARE vaccinated but Viking DOES NOT REQUIRE vaccines then you may CHOOSE not to go, and the current scheme remains in play. (You can get a refund after two years if you continue to choose not to cruise; but of course conditions may change and you will elect to go later - Viking wins.) If you ARE NOT vaccinated but Viking DOES REQUIRE vaccines, then they've areguably changed terms and whether or not they legally have the right to do so, it could trigger demands for immediate refunds and put the aroma of class-action in the air for the anti-vaxers. 

I'd think the best way out of the dilemma is for countries to mandate vaccines for embarking / debarking cruise passengers, thus taking the cruise lines off the hook. 

Good point, but I'll suggest the Viking Terms & Conditions and Marine Law would make a successful lawsuit unlikely. However, as you noted, it probably wouldn't stop them from trying.

The Master's Authority, as outlined in Section 5 of the ISM Code, states s/he has overriding authority and responsibility to make decisions with respect to safety. This is implemented by the Flag State with legislation enabling the ISM Code. Viking's T&C also include the Master's authority with respect to safety, security, comfort or well-being of any person.

This authority & responsibility is noted & expanded in the T&C, with a number of other clauses that should protect them from liability. The T&C also waived your right to class action suits.

Once countries require vaccination for entry, it will provide cruise line and airlines with additional protection.

• Like 1

While Countries requiring vaccination for passengers and crew entering their countries may let Viking and other cruise lines off the hook for setting a vaccine requirement as a condition to sail with them, is that really the best way to set corporate policy?  This is a real dilemma for the cruise lines.  No matter what Viking decides they are sure to upset some percentage of their customers.  

We have 2 back to back cruises booked with Viking for this summer and another set next year.  There is always a chance that something could happen (bad weather, noro, personal medical emergency, mechanical problem,  etc) that interrupts the trip.  That's life, there's always some element of risk involved when we travel.  However the chance of a covid outbreak that causes us to miss ports if Viking allows non vaccinated passengers on board is not one my wife and I will accept.  Sadly we will cancel 2 of our dream bucket list trips and we will have to look for a new cruise line or other means of travel.  I really hope we don't have to make that choice.  Losing one year of travel has been bad enough, I don't want to miss another year.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gojagators said:

While Countries requiring vaccination for passengers and crew entering their countries may let Viking and other cruise lines off the hook for setting a vaccine requirement as a condition to sail with them, is that really the best way to set corporate policy?  This is a real dilemma for the cruise lines.  No matter what Viking decides they are sure to upset some percentage of their customers.  

We have 2 back to back cruises booked with Viking for this summer and another set next year.  There is always a chance that something could happen (bad weather, noro, personal medical emergency, mechanical problem,  etc) that interrupts the trip.  That's life, there's always some element of risk involved when we travel.  However the chance of a covid outbreak that causes us to miss ports if Viking allows non vaccinated passengers on board is not one my wife and I will accept.  Sadly we will cancel 2 of our dream bucket list trips and we will have to look for a new cruise line or other means of travel.  I really hope we don't have to make that choice.  Losing one year of travel has been bad enough, I don't want to miss another year.  

Hear hear!! our thoughts entirely.

While we thoroughly enjoy the Viking experience and still think we made a great decision to select them as our preferred cruise line, if vaccinations are not mandatory by November '21, when we have payment in full for our 22/23 WC, we will cancel and start the process of finding another new cruise line.

We remain hopeful Viking will finally see sense, as our preference is to enjoy the 22/23 WC and sail with the great group of pax joining our Roll Call. 

• Like 4

I believe most of us are of the opinion that vax is going to be required to travel so why not on Viking too?  I do not fear covid.  Almost no one catches it or has severe issues.  Pneumonia has a higher death rate.  What I fear is bureaucratic overreach and over caution causing disruption of a very expensive investment in our later lives.  The world has to simply get over the panic of covid.  Treat the sick.  Isolate as necessary. Vaccinate for sure.  Then get on with the business of the world which includes travel....

• Like 1

By the time many of us are able to cruise, there will likely be a year of experience and multiple hundreds of millions vaccinated. Some of the concerns about reinfection, un-vax, etc will be resolved.

Just like the situation today is different from October, 2020

So I’ve been lurking and reading everybody’s comments for the last couple of weeks. Last week I wrote to Tellus with my complaint that Viking is not requiring vaxs for their UK only cruises in May/June and said if they did not require vax in the future we would not travel with them for the 3 cruises we are looking at in 2022/2023. Next day I got the call from a Viking rep but, while friendly, he was poorly trained and basically read from a script that they were “looking at all comments and passing them to management and things could change in the future.”

Here’s my worry, though: If they go ahead on the UK cruises with no vax requirement and somehow get lucky with no outbreak onboard, that surely means they will not require vax for ANY upcoming regular cruises. Why they are rolling the dice and playing Russian roulette on this is maddening to me. I about fell over when one commenter here said a Viking rep told them no vax was “to be fair to everyone!” I can’t believe that the UK government is not requiring vax for any cruises off their shores, nor that Viking’s health advisors are signing off on this. Again, Russian roulette.

In terms of “fairness,” they are not being “fair” to those of us who are vaccinated and don’t want to risk traveling with anti-vaxxers. (Are “those people” 🙂 going to be anti-maskers too? Likely).

COVID risk is no laughing matter and is a serious disease, and frankly, we don’t know enough about the vaccines to know how well they work. You can still get COVID, so that’s why I wouldn’t want to be around unmasked unvaxxed diners in any of the dining rooms or lounges, or in the bubble excursion buses.

Despite the vaccine likely protecting you from severe illness, you most certainly can have lingering, serious effects from this disease.

• Like 4

Hi All....I’ve just been reading all of these comments...I found it funny that there were few/none “anti-Vaxer” calls to TellUS...I agree wholeheartedly with the points made...

• Our demographic is probably less likely to try to “fake” proof of vaccine
  • The majority of us went to elementary school in the 60s and 70s...they lined us up and gave us our shots! Polio was virtually wiped out! 
  • If Viking is afraid of law-suits if they change from “testing only” to requiring vaccines, they need to do a cost benefit analysis measuring the loss of business against the potential loss of those fares that may have to be refunded.
  • if countries are requiring tests and quarantines, maybe that will limit the number of “anti-vaxers” that will even want to go on the cruises...they won’t be able to get off the ships for excursions...they will have to be quarantining...not having adventures!
  • The “fairest decision for everyone” is to protect the vulnerable, who have weak immune systems and who have allergies to the vaccines, by insisting that they stay home where they can live in their own bubble of safety they have created for themselves.
  • I’ve been reading about all of the health passports that are being tested...I’ll be so glad when the International Travel Authorities decide which one to use...
  • Finally, since “testing” seems to be the “acceptable” thing to be “fair to all”, why not do the antibody testing before getting on any plane, train, ship or country...if antibodies are detected, that person has either already had the virus or has been vaccinated against it. Put that on a Travel Passport!

Let Me Travel!  Stop the whining, get the shots! I’m believing that our British Isles cruise in August will really happen (UK is doing awesome)...I’m having a little doubt about our pre- divergent trip to Paris....France is really having problems distributing the vaccine...even worse than the State of Georgia....getting an appt for the vaccine was like winning the lottery!

Hope to meet some of you in August on the Venus!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

We really need to get over this.  You can have serious, lingering effects from many diseases...... Including death....  This is not worth the panic and shutdowns.  Flame away..

Sorry Jim. I’ll pass. I proudly follow and trust the wise advice of Dr. Anthony Fauci and Infectious Disease experts.

Edited by rbslos18
  • Like 3

Me too rbslos18!

Like the flu? Yep maybe the 1918 flu. Really sad and shocked to read that post and I'm glad to see that it has now been edited.

We all want to travel, can't wait, but we want to travel safely. Really not into Russian roulette.

Think I'll stop reading these posts now, all we need is a few covid deniers and anti vaxers to join us.

• Like 2

Called Viking about their UK Coastal Journeys Rep was very pleasant but there was a lot of information not available ie

If ship is testing daily v vaccinated only cruises what will happen if there is a positive test at boarding? Will you get a refund? 

If a positive test happens after day 1 do they have permission to dock back in UK as FCO advice is still against cruising or will ship get quarantined at sea.Will you be quarantined in your cabin? They could not answer. 

Ships pool will be by appointment with only 450 passengers aboard.

Crew have mostly not been vaccinated and she was unsure how they would be allowed to travel to the ship in the first instance.

Basically all you get is what is on the e-mail and that’s it My insurance will not cover this trip unless FCO remove advice against cruising. 

So as much as I want to cruise we’ll be waiting to see how these trips go before booking anything as anything else is only providing interest free loans to cruise companies

• Like 3

If anyone thinks that a CSR is going to give them all the answers to the burning questions, they will surely be sadly disappointed.  As has been mentioned these people are reading a script and nothing more, they are not decision makers and have no power whatsoever to assuage your fears.

I imagine that the only upside to sailing in UK waters with UK residents is that if something were to go wrong onboard (i.e. outbreak requiring people to be landed) it would mean less issues politically.

Looking in comparison to the likes of RCCL planning on sailing around the Bahamas with vaccinated adults and un-vaccinated children, they're going to have a much greater issue I would think if they experienced an outbreak for obvious reasons.

Either way, this seems very much like a canary in the coal mine approach which may or may not come back to haunt them...

2 hours ago, DGHOC said:

Me too rbslos18!

Like the flu? Yep maybe the 1918 flu. Really sad and shocked to read that post and I'm glad to see that it has now been edited.

We all want to travel, can't wait, but we want to travel safely. Really not into Russian roulette.

Think I'll stop reading these posts now, all we need is a few covid deniers and anti vaxers to join us.

Did you know that the Spanish Flu, or a variant of it is still around?  A few cases each year and some have surmised it has been part of some of the seasonal flu over the years.  Also did you know the vaccine for Spanish Flu was developed in 1942 when it was feared WWII would revive it.  All those years and no one shut down the world or the shipping industry.

• Like 1

Every one is going to have to decide what risk they are willing to take.  I got the shot in August.  I have been  many many places that I know some people have not be vaccinated.  I have gone to movies, church, stores, played pickle ball, been out for runs, went to Maui...and even gone into Starbucks.  Both of my girls are in public school and have been around them.  One couple at church ( the anti vaxer couple) had the virus and was around them before they went into quarantine.  Maybe I have just been lucky... or maybe the shot works?

I still follow the masking rules but I will not sit at home.  I mean what was the purpose the purpose of getting the shot if I am going to stay at home.

I totally understand why some folks don't want to take the risk at this stage in the game.  But for me it's time to get on with life.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

We really need to get over this.  You can have serious, lingering effects from many diseases...... Including death....  This is not worth the panic and shutdowns.  Flame away..

Jim    I actually agree with you up to a point.   There's enough vax/ antivax and lockdown/ open up threads on CC now so lets skip that debate here.  

However, The question of allowing non-vaccinated passengers to sail on Viking cruises is one area I will not compromise on.  Its not that I'm really worried about getting covid from one of them, its the risk of an outbreak among them that disrupts my vacation. I'm not willing to be on this years version of the "magical mystery tour" that Heidi13 and others took last year on the world cruise.  We have 2 back to back cruises booked that will be 36 and 92 days long including the pre and post extensions.  We are spending more money and time on these 2 trips than we have ever spent before and the ports are a lot of our remaining bucket list destinations.  I want  to minimize the risk of a disruption as much as possible.   

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

That’s my fear too. That the disruption will be taken too soon when isolating and putting the ill ashore, like has always been done in the past, might work well. 

Lets face it there will be cases...Just how they deal with it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

I used to believe in Dr Fauci.  Until it got hard to know which way he was blowing.  I much prefer the advice of Dr. Rand Paul.  I find him much more consistent and reasonable.

Oh my Jim. My Jr. Senator, Dr. Rand Paul, is an Ophthalmologist (certified by a Board he and his wife created.). I'll stick with the imperfect, Dr. Fauci and his expertise in Infectious Diseases.

Some day let's get a glass of some good KY bourbon in the Explorers' Lounge.  I'll explain why he is certified by a national Board run by his family!

Edited by rbslos18
  • Like 4