Jump to content

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, cured said:

It is funny that the sentiments and beliefs around the country are so different. Per some teacher friends, the entire district here was vaccinated with Pfizer or Moderna.  They partnered with a local hospital and set up clinics for the mRNA vaccines just for school staff.

In this neck of the woods, the teachers unions are pretty powerful.  My feeling is overall, I think anyone who wants it now, should get it.  And if they dont, then that's ok also.  I don't think anyone should be forced to get something they aren't comfortable with.  I was very nervous before my first dose and actually panicked afterwards.  Deep down I knew I would need to protect myself and others and this is what overcame my fear and panic.  I don't condemn anyone for being afraid and wanting to wait.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

No, they can't. Businesses can't "require whatever they want." At least, not without a serious possibility of a lawsuit in case the unvaccinated become a protected class. Last year the internet was howling about how HIPAA privacy laws protected people who weren't able to wear masks due to a health condition, which the non mask wearer didn't have to disclose. I'd say businesses can require whatever they want "within reason." There was a lawsuit some years ago where a local Weight Watchers shop didn't want to hire an obese woman in the front office because they thought it reflected badly on their brand. She won. Hypothetically, I could see a whole range of people saying it's discriminatory not to allow unvaccinated people onboard. (Not saying I'd support such a move, just that that kind of thing happens in the real world).

 

As long as businesses provide reasonable accomodations, they are well within ADA regulations.  For instance, offering curbside pickup is a reasonable accomodation if you are forbidding maskless people to enter the store.

 

Right now, the unvaccinated are not a protected group unless they have a documented medical reason not to receive the vaccine. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, soloadventurer said:

 

P&O Cruises has said that anyone wanting to take its cruises around the British Isles this summer will need to be vaccinated first. 

Travellers will have to prove that they have had two coronavirus jabs to take the trips which depart from June.

As said Major Cruise Lines, yet to be seen and IF do how long will last start up

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ArthurUSCG said:

You were referring to customers coming into the place of business. Private businesses can require what ever they want, they might be dealing with litigation but they can still require what ever they want.  Example, a local bar has a "No Colors" requirement, referring to gang or biker clubs. They did have to fight lawsuits but in the end the business won, and ever since the new requirement went into affect, they have been more profitable and have expanded.

For employees, it varies by state. For "right to work" states, often the owner can require anything as long as it is across the board and if you don't comply, you can be terminated. This is where other state that are often pro union provide more protection for the employees, often there is a reasonable accommodation protection. Where if an employee is unable to accommodate the new requirement, then both the employee and the employer have to meet in good faith to come up with  a reasonable accommodation. For the vaccine requirement, it could be  100% telework, change in job or position to allow for reduced or zero interaction with other employees, etc. This is often done thru the HR department with respecting HIPAA using medical professionals to guide the discussion while allowing no one else within the company to know the medical condition.

I agree with you, absolutely. I was merely pushing back against the notion that businesses can require whatever they want. Not without consequences, is my point.

You make excellent points about reasonable accommodation and I agree with you. That's the way to go. I read this morning where Iceland will allow travelers who are vaccinated (or recently recovered from Covid) to enter without quarantine. I'd argue that is a reasonable accommodation, for instance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cured said:

As long as businesses provide reasonable accomodations, they are well within ADA regulations.  For instance, offering curbside pickup is a reasonable accomodation if you are forbidding maskless people to enter the store.

 

Right now, the unvaccinated are not a protected group unless they have a documented medical reason not to receive the vaccine. 

Agreed, I was just pointing out that a broad statement like "businesses can require what they want" has some obvious, if unstated, caveats to it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

As said Major Cruise Lines, yet to be seen and IF do how long will last start up


Right now momentum is swinging to requiring vaccination at restart. I am not predicting they will just saying that is the way the wind is blowing.  The CDC requirements and foreign government requirements will be part of the restart. All the major cruise lines will do the same thing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:


Right now momentum is swinging to requiring vaccination at restart. I am not predicting they will just saying that is the way the wind is blowing.  The CDC requirements and foreign government requirements will be part of the restart. All the major cruise lines will do the same thing. 

P&O just mandated vaccines 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cured said:

I believe you are correct. Moderna said they plan to follow the 7,000 children for a year so final results will not be available till March, 2022 for the 6 months to 12 year age group.


They will follow them for a year. That does not mean it won’t be approved by the FDA for use before then.  For the 18 and above age group they are following those in the trials for two years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:


They will follow them for a year. That does not mean it won’t be approved by the FDA for use before then.  For the 18 and above age group they are following those in the trials for two years. 

True

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, coffeebean said:

Doesn't Pfizer have emergency authorized approval for ages 16+ now?


Not that I am aware of, only 18 plus. You could double check if you wish though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:


Not that I am aware of, only 18 plus. You could double check if you wish though. 

I believe it is 16. Otherwise our state is in deep doodoo as they just opened up 16-49.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:


Not that I am aware of, only 18 plus. You could double check if you wish though. 

 

1 hour ago, cured said:

I believe it is 16. Otherwise our state is in deep doodoo as they just opened up 16-49.

Pfizer is approved for 16 and up 

 

Moderna and J&J cleared for 18 and up

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2021 at 8:44 PM, S.A.M.J.R. said:

 

I'm not saying Covid isn't deadly and isn't serious.  If that's what you're reading, you may want to try again.  What I am saying is some people have left logic at the door when it comes to Covid.  I've already listed some examples, how about another one... masks don't protect the wearer, they protect others.  That's impossible.  How could the same cloth NOT protect the wearer?  If someone is infected (even asymptomatic), and the mask they wear within an inch of their mouth will stop Covid particles, but the cloth *I* wear three-six-ten feet away WON'T stop them?  Care to explain that?  

 

A few weeks ago, CBS Sunday Morning had a very informative story about masks, and they did a great job of explaining why cloth masks do more to protect others than the wearer.  When you exhale, the particles primarily go straight out, and the mask will capture a % of them depending on the weave and material.   When you inhale, depending on the mask fit, more air and particles flow in via the side.  They did a cool demo of it.  They also explained why kn95s and n95s work better than other mask options.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

A few weeks ago, CBS Sunday Morning had a very informative story about masks, and they did a great job of explaining why cloth masks do more to protect others than the wearer.  When you exhale, the particles primarily go straight out, and the mask will capture a % of them depending on the weave and material.   When you inhale, depending on the mask fit, more air and particles flow in via the side.  They did a cool demo of it.  They also explained why kn95s and n95s work better than other mask options.

Not denying a mask does MORE to protect others.  But that hasn't been the claim.  Many people have said wearing a mask does NOTHING for the wearer.  Simply can't be the case.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

As said Major Cruise Lines, yet to be seen and IF do how long will last start up

 

19 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

P&O just mandated vaccines 

 
 
20 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:
  20 hours ago, soloadventurer said:

 

P&O Cruises has said that anyone wanting to take its cruises around the British Isles this summer will need to be vaccinated first. 

Travellers will have to prove that they have had two coronavirus jabs to take the trips which depart from June.


P&O Cruises is a British cruise line based at Carnival House in Southampton, England, operated by Carnival UK and owned by Carnival Corporation & plc. It was originally a subsidiary of the shipping company P&O and was founded during a restructuring of P&O's operations in 1977. Wikipedia
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2021 at 9:13 PM, Keksie said:

I can't find the data for just Americans but 22-55 million people have died from smallpox.  

1) The question referred to Americans since I referenced the half million dead

2) Your number for smallpox is so vague as to be useless in the context of the discussion, but thanks for playing.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

 

 
 

 

P&O Cruises is a British cruise line based at Carnival House in Southampton, England, operated by Carnival UK and owned by Carnival Corporation & plc. It was originally a subsidiary of the shipping company P&O and was founded during a restructuring of P&O's operations in 1977. Wikipedia

Though it is part of Larger Corp, which most know, isnt considered Major Cruise Line. What this line does really doesn't reflect on what the Majors will when they start up. As said above "Carnival Corp's CEO Arnold Donald told Financial Times over the Weekend that the Company probably will not require Cruise passengers to be Vaccinated. However, he did say that they may make it mandatory for the Cruises geared towards seniors." They may at start, but I dont see 100%(Kids) or that IF required with Adults that would be during startup but wont last long...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2021 at 4:07 PM, A&L_Ont said:


Not that I am aware of, only 18 plus. You could double check if you wish though. 

Just looked it up. Pfizer's vaccine has emergency authorization for ages 16 and up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, coffeebean said:

Just looked it up. Pfizer's vaccine has emergency authorization for ages 16 and up.

 

 

16 year old in oHIo can start getting the vaccine. March 25th

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2021 at 6:13 PM, coffeebean said:

My thoughts about mandating the vaccine is this......... At this point, an EUA vaccine should not be mandatory for anyone, no matter what profession they are in.

 

Having said that, let's see what happens when it is determined that vaccinated people can not and do not transmit Covid. Already, there is some evidence that vaccinated people may not transmit the disease because of the low viral load of vaccinated people.

 

Then, let's see what happens when the vaccines are formally approved by the FDA. That is when employers should have the power and it be within their rights to mandate vaccines for their employees, no matter what their profession.

 

That is going to be very interesting to see how this all fleshes out. All my opinion, of course.

Here you go for North America...


 

 

E7F5C9E1-CABE-4545-AB1E-C4B3F80DC63E.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

For St. Maarten and Nassau.

 

We still do not know what the requirements the CDC will impose for sailings out of the US.

It’s looking like no cruises until Nov. 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...