Jump to content

Vaccine Requirement News


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

In the same vein, when Dr. Amanda Cohn, the executive secretary of the CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, was asked if Covid-19 vaccination can be required, she responded that under an EUA, “vaccines are not allowed to be mandatory. So, early in this vaccination phase, individuals will have to be consented and they won’t be able to be mandatory.” Cohn later affirmed that this prohibition on requiring the vaccines applies to organizations, including hospitals.

 

https://www.statnews.com/2021/02/23/federal-law-prohibits-employers-and-others-from-requiring-vaccination-with-a-covid-19-vaccine-distributed-under-an-eua/

Agree, and reason hasn't been required. Even 1/3 US Military(declined it) and currently only 52% Medical personal have received Vaccine. Some as Wait and see with little over 1/3 saying don't plan on getting it. Now if stops being EUA these might change. 

Edited by ONECRUISER
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

The university announced the requirement in a news release, which said students "may request an exemption from vaccination for medical or religious reasons." It said students who are enrolled in online courses will not be required to be vaccinated.

The release does not specify a requirement for faculty and staff but said they are "strongly urged to get the vaccine as vaccine supplies are made available to the wider population."   ...Falls months away, this policy subject to change, and think will one way or another. "Faculty urged" but this so far is for on campus Classes only, though I see many requests for exceptions.

 

What is happening frequently in large businesses and I'm hearing murmurs that a certain large University near me for the fall return is, the only way for staff to interact face to face with other staff or students is if they are vaccinated, otherwise the courses will be online and other reasonable accommodations will be provided.

Sure, they can't mandate the vaccine, but if you want to get back to life before covid, then they are requiring that you are vaccinated.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

The university announced the requirement in a news release, which said students "may request an exemption from vaccination for medical or religious reasons." It said students who are enrolled in online courses will not be required to be vaccinated.

The release does not specify a requirement for faculty and staff but said they are "strongly urged to get the vaccine as vaccine supplies are made available to the wider population."   ...Falls months away, this policy subject to change, and think will one way or another. "Faculty urged" but this so far is for on campus Classes only, though I see many requests for exceptions.

 

And as I said in a previous post, you will suddenly see a lot of religious zealots come out of the woodwork. Medical exemption will be harder to fake since no doctor will risk their medical license to fabricate a medical condition for a bogus exemption. 
 

When my kids started college, they were not allowed to move onto campus until they provided proof of meningitis vaccination. 

Edited by jerseygirl3
Added
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

It is against the law to require employees to get a vaccine that's only authorized under emergency use agreements. 

I generally agree that employers can mandate a vaccine, however that may not be the case for all employees.  If an employee is working from home permanently and never has an opportunity to expose others to the virus, it might not fly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

suddenly see a lot of religious zealots come out of the woodwork.

You like using that term. I suppose you’re not religious. I think some might take offense to this terminology.  

M8

Edited by Milwaukee Eight
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

I am not an anti-vaxer.  Both wife and self have had Pfizer vaccine.

 

Still, I was concerned to read this article.

https://fos-sa.org/2021/03/12/open-letter-to-the-who-immediately-halt-all-covid-19-mass-vaccinations-geert-vanden-bossche-dmv-phd/

 

I can't trust anyone whose background is the Bill Gates foundation

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

I am not an anti-vaxer.  Both wife and self have had Pfizer vaccine.

 

Still, I was concerned to read this article.

https://fos-sa.org/2021/03/12/open-letter-to-the-who-immediately-halt-all-covid-19-mass-vaccinations-geert-vanden-bossche-dmv-phd/

 

I wouldn't put must stock in that non sense. This self described expert is board certified in Veterinary Virology, Microbiology and Animal Hygiene and hasn’t published a research paper since 1995 but claims to have accomplished great things while spouting baseless garbage in this letter.

Here is a quite detailed and most importantly, referenced debunking of the veterinarian' s claims.

https://www.deplatformdisease.com/blog/addressing-geert-vanden-bossches-claims

Edited by Cousin Eddie
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let me throw a little more mud into this discussion. It appears to me that a fair amount of the discussion seems to be revolving around US laws and the legality of requiring a vaccination to be able to sail. Where is it illegal for a company to mandate access requirements to enter their property, the US, The Bahamas, St Maarten, Singapore or maybe the EU? I haven’t heard more than a few cricket chirps out of the CDC for months now about cruising; and I am beginning to believe some of the comments I have seen in a few threads and news articles on CC and other places which question if the CDC actually wants cruising to resume in the US.

 

I don’t believe the CDC or the US Government has jurisdiction over non-US flagged ships, sailing in non-US waters, from non-US homeports and visiting all non-US POC’s. From what I have seen lately it appears that some of the major lines are planning to start cruising again as early as this summer, regardless of CDC guidance or lack thereof, by home porting ships to Caribbean ports NOT in US controlled jurisdictions; were the CDC and US Government codes have little or no impact on their activities. But will, unfortunately, increase the bottom line price for us because of the possibility of overnight stays at the Caribbean home ports, both before and after the cruise, and the airfare to and from to the off shore homeports. I also wonder how many courts in the US would even hear a case involving someone being denied boarding because they had not been vaccinated for COVID on a non-US ship sailing from a non-US port operating totally in non-US waters. I am also fairly sure, with the number of ‘ambulance chasers’ out there, someone will try.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I actually booked a cruise on EOTS sailing out of Baltimore for Feb 2022, primarily because they are requiring vaccinated pax on the first cruises. It was stated that the vaccine requirement was due to the destination they were sailing from and to. imho this will likely continue, and only vaccinated pax will be permitted to sail. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How will the vaccine requirements work with HIPPA in the US? I get that vaccine passports are a big help to get things going, but it also feels very invasive to ask. I’m thinking more along the lines of what does this open the door to?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

How will the vaccine requirements work with HIPPA in the US? I get that vaccine passports are a big help to get things going, but it also feels very invasive to ask. I’m thinking more along the lines of what does this open the door to?

HIPAA (corrected spelling) does not come into play with this at all. 
 

HIPAA really only applies to the sharing of protected health information (PHI) between medical providers and 3rd party insurers; in some cases. 
 

With regards to vaccine requirements, either you decide to provide proof, or you don’t; and let the consequences fall where they may. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, UPNYGuy said:

I actually booked a cruise on EOTS sailing out of Baltimore for Feb 2022, primarily because they are requiring vaccinated pax on the first cruises. It was stated that the vaccine requirement was due to the destination they were sailing from and to. imho this will likely continue, and only vaccinated pax will be permitted to sail. 


Let me rephrase... vaccinated pax for the cruises out of Nassau. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LeeRB said:

Let me throw a little more mud into this discussion. It appears to me that a fair amount of the discussion seems to be revolving around US laws and the legality of requiring a vaccination to be able to sail. Where is it illegal for a company to mandate access requirements to enter their property, the US, The Bahamas, St Maarten, Singapore or maybe the EU? I haven’t heard more than a few cricket chirps out of the CDC for months now about cruising; and I am beginning to believe some of the comments I have seen in a few threads and news articles on CC and other places which question if the CDC actually wants cruising to resume in the US.

 

 

 

I don’t believe the CDC or the US Government has jurisdiction over non-US flagged ships, sailing in non-US waters, from non-US homeports and visiting all non-US POC’s. From what I have seen lately it appears that some of the major lines are planning to start cruising again as early as this summer, regardless of CDC guidance or lack thereof, by home porting ships to Caribbean ports NOT in US controlled jurisdictions; were the CDC and US Government codes have little or no impact on their activities. But will, unfortunately, increase the bottom line price for us because of the possibility of overnight stays at the Caribbean home ports, both before and after the cruise, and the airfare to and from to the off shore homeports. I also wonder how many courts in the US would even hear a case involving someone being denied boarding because they had not been vaccinated for COVID on a non-US ship sailing from a non-US port operating totally in non-US waters. I am also fairly sure, with the number of ‘ambulance chasers’ out there, someone will try.

 

 

 

As a lawyer, I believe cruise lines can require vaccinations as a condition to board.  Of course, that was not my area of expertise, but I don't see a pathway for a successful lawsuit against the cruise lines.  Litigation can be expensive, especially if  your case looks like a loser.    We are looking forward to cruising once more and have our vaccinations.  We would be less inclined to cruise if no vaccinations were required.  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

As a lawyer, I believe cruise lines can require vaccinations as a condition to board.  Of course, that was not my area of expertise, but I don't see a pathway for a successful lawsuit against the cruise lines.  Litigation can be expensive, especially if  your case looks like a loser.    We are looking forward to cruising once more and have our vaccinations.  We would be less inclined to cruise if no vaccinations were required.  


it would fall into the COVID-19 section of the contract of carriage. Royal Caribbean already has a decent section dedicated to COVID protocol. I would expect vaccination requirements to be included in there if it becomes a standard requirement, and I also feel they can require vaccination departing from US ports (they already are from Nassau), as it pertains to the health and welfare of all on board.
 

Furthermore, a cruise is *not* a mandatory undertaking, but staying healthy while you are onboard IS.  
 

Plus, certain ports of disembarkation may require it for the pax to leave the ship. 
 

Would I be correct in this thought?

Edited by UPNYGuy
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

As a lawyer, I believe cruise lines can require vaccinations as a condition to board.  


you have to show proof of vaccination to board the round trip itinerary that sails out of Nassau this summer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Shorewalk Holmes said:

Yikes!!  Asssuming this article is quoting him accurately, Gov. DeSantis intends to make it illegal for Florida private sector companies to require proof of vaccination.  I wonder if this will apply to cruise lines that operate in Florida?

 

https://nypost.com/2021/03/29/gov-desantis-vows-to-ban-vaccine-passports-in-florida/

 

The cruise lines are not Florida corporations.  They are incorporated in different countries, thus DeSantis can not dictate what they can or can not do.  I personally would feel more comfortable cruising on a fully vaccinated ship. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd like to know how many people who are actively "boycotting" actually would have otherwise booked one of those cruises if there was no vaccine mandate.

I'm guessing slim to none.

 

But I also call BS on the comment that the vaccinations are the country's requirement. If that was true, Bahamas would require a vaccine to enter the country.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Shorewalk Holmes said:

Yikes!!  Asssuming this article is quoting him accurately, Gov. DeSantis intends to make it illegal for Florida private sector companies to require proof of vaccination.  I wonder if this will apply to cruise lines that operate in Florida?

 

https://nypost.com/2021/03/29/gov-desantis-vows-to-ban-vaccine-passports-in-florida/

Some are opposed to government keeping records on everyone, such as vaccination records.  Not sure if DeSantis is opposed to this or any records, like the card you receive when you get the vaccine.

I think requiring a vaccine is proper for cruise lines, at least until COVID19 is under control, which will be several months, perhaps more.

 

The US Supreme Court has ruled that governments can require people to take vaccines.

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/on-this-day-the-supreme-court-rules-on-vaccines-and-public-health

 

Certainly, most of remember having to get the smallpox and other vaccines before we attended school.

COVID19 spreads faster than most diseases, but the fatality rate is still very low.   I don't think the US government or states will mandate a vaccine.

 

Of course, this is different from a private business requiring a vaccine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Shorewalk Holmes said:

Yikes!!  Asssuming this article is quoting him accurately, Gov. DeSantis intends to make it illegal for Florida private sector companies to require proof of vaccination.  I wonder if this will apply to cruise lines that operate in Florida?

 

https://nypost.com/2021/03/29/gov-desantis-vows-to-ban-vaccine-passports-in-florida/

He does not have the authority to make such a ruling. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...