This question and comment pertains to all cruise lines.

I have seen a video about MSC safety bubble. Some crew wear face masks while some in the video were wearing face shields.

I spend way too much time with medical staff. Some wear the N95 face mask and some wear the clear plastic face shield.

If the medical community says the face shield is safe. Actually safer than the mask that only covers the nose and mouth. The face shield also covers and protects the eues.

MMy question is, who would feel better if they were poolside with a face shield? Think of the tan line a face mask may leave compared to the clear face shield.

The MSC safety bubble shows crew wearing a face shield. So will the cruisers be allowed to wear a face shield on your next cruise.

Here are a couple pcs of me wearing one style of a face shield that I wear on my local city bus.

mask11123.jpg

mask1112.jpg

From CDC.gov

Face shields and goggles are primarily used to protect the eyes of the person wearing it. Goggles do not cover the nose and mouth. Face shields are not as effective at protecting you or the people around you from respiratory droplets. Face shields have large gaps below and alongside the face, where your respiratory droplets may escape and reach others around you and will not protect you from respiratory droplets from others. However, wearing a mask may not be feasible in every situation for some people.

I had an out patient procedure yesterday and my physician was wearing PP clothing, gloves, a mask and a face shield.  I'm sure she was comfortable with that outfit.

As said above, a mask and shield work well together, so does a mask and wrap around glasses.  Of course, the mask should be a medical grade.

Arguing for the least basic amount of protection is like speeding on the interstate with just air bags and no harness or seatbelt restraint and no shatter proof windshield.

JMO, YMMV

1 hour ago, Hangman115 said:

This question and comment pertains to all cruise lines.

I have seen a video about MSC safety bubble. Some crew wear face masks while some in the video were wearing face shields.

I spend way too much time with medical staff. Some wear the N95 face mask and some wear the clear plastic face shield.

If the medical community says the face shield is safe. Actually safer than the mask that only covers the nose and mouth. The face shield also covers and protects the eues.

MMy question is, who would feel better if they were poolside with a face shield? Think of the tan line a face mask may leave compared to the clear face shield.

The MSC safety bubble shows crew wearing a face shield. So will the cruisers be allowed to wear a face shield on your next cruise.

Here are a couple pcs of me wearing one style of a face shield that I wear on my local city bus.

mask11123.jpg

mask1112.jpg

That is where my beard went to.I had facial hair for 60 years and just on a whim 2 days ago told my barber to remove most of my beard.I do not recognize myself but you have my beard😀

9 hours ago, Hangman115 said:

I should prefer to wear a face shield.

I will not cruise with mask or shield.

2 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

You are not going to do much travelling at all then, let alone cruising! 

3 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Excellent decision. Fewer anti-maskers on board makes for a more pleasant trip. 

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

You are not going to do much travelling at all then, let alone cruising! 

No I won't.

But what I say is that I won't pay for a cruise if I have to wear a mask because I will not enjoy that. It's okay for me to wear a mask if I shall take a short flight because that is only transportation and not an experience.

4 hours ago, K32682 said:

Everyone on the cruise shall wear a mask if maskwearing is mandatory. I will not think that a maskcruise is pleasant so as long as it't mandatory to wear a mask I willj not be on a cruise. 

4 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

No I won't.

But what I say is that I won't pay for a cruise if I have to wear a mask because I will not enjoy that. It's okay for me to wear a mask if I shall take a short flight because that is only transportation and not an experience.

But no taxis, no buses, no hotels as well.

42 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Buses and taxis are also transportation so I can wear a mask there if I have to.

I spend time at hotels when I have to sleep. If they say that I have to wear a mask in my room I won't stay at any hotels but walking to and from my room with a mask should be okay if it's mandatory. 

36 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

Buses and taxis are also transportation so I can wear a mask there if I have to.

I spend time at hotels when I have to sleep. If they say that I have to wear a mask in my room I won't stay at any hotels but walking to and from my room with a mask should be okay if it's mandatory. 

Plus places like Spain, where you have to wear a mask when outside walking!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Why not? I am among those who don't want to take a cruise if masks are required.  It is not about the exposure so much as the enjoyment factor.  I wouldn't enjoy it.   That does not mean I can't use airplanes, trains, etc.   And perhaps even a hotel, depending what & where.   Spending a few hours traveling on a plane is not the same as spending two weeks doing recreation on a cruise ship.   

Edited by ldubs
5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

We have to wear a mask here when outside walking if likely to be within 6 feet of another person. As we are in an urban area that is pretty likely.

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

We have to wear a mask here when outside walking if likely to be within 6 feet of another person. As we are in an urban area that is pretty likely.

Same here.  Not a big deal in reality.  But if I wouldn't enjoy a cruise where I had to wear a mask, then I'm an "anti masker" and must avoid any place that requires a mask.  It is a silly thing to even try to argue.  

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Same here.  Not a big deal in reality.  But if I wouldn't enjoy a cruise where I had to wear a mask, then I'm an "anti masker" and must avoid any place that requires a mask.  It is a silly thing to even try to argue.  

I doubt I will book a cruise that requires a mask or that requires cruise line excursions. That won't be fun for me. I don't think masks and cruise line excursions and other anti covid measures will last forever. I think they are needed now on cruise ships, if I were going to cruise now I would insist on them. Vaccination should be required and I am vaccinated.   But I am not an eager beaver. I love cruises but the old way.  I can wait it out. With vaccinations and antiviral drugs, I was reading this morning about a very promising drug for covid infections, those measures will not be needed forever. (those who won't wear masks or won't get vaccinated are extending the time those measures will be in effect)  The discussions on Cruise Critic tend to be extreme. 

Edited by Charles4515
Just now, Charles4515 said:

I doubt I will book a cruise that requires a mask or that requires cruise line excursions. That won't be fun for me. I don't think masks and cruise line excursions and other anti covid measures will last forever. I think they are needed now on cruise ships, if I were going to cruise now I would insist on them  but I am not an eager beaver. I love cruises but the old way.  I can wait it out. With vaccinations and antiviral drugs, I was reading this morning about a very promising drug for covid infections, those measures will not be needed forever. (those who won't wear masks or won't get vaccinated are extending the time those measures will be in effect) The discussions on Cruise Critic tend to be extreme. 

I think you put it well.  These measures are discussed now because strong measures would be needed now with the current pandemic.  I hope by the time cruising ramps up the pandemic will be managed so we can actually get back to normal.  Or, near normal I guess.  

6 hours ago, K32682 said:

Those who choose not to cruise with a mask aren't "anti-maskers" per-se,

We won't cruise if we have to wear masks, because cruising is for fun ---------- and wearing a mask ain't fun.

But while masks are advised, neither will we cruise on ships where masks aren't mandatory .......... because our health is way more important than a cruise.

In current circumstances, flying doesn't appeal either. With or without masks.

We're planning road-trips much closer to home this summer, mebbe cruise the Caribbean next winter depending how things pan-out.

JB 🙂

Posted (edited)

For winter 2021 forward besides the port restrictions I think the lines are now leaning toward the vaccine being the sole restriction for passengers.  That is why we are not hearing a lot of updates

Edited by Mary229
2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Our next cruise was planned to leave from Barcelona this summer. We have talked about it and mask on the plane should be okay. Mask when out walking isn't something we want but we could book a hotel with good roomservice and spend the time in our room until our cruise. MSC have now confirmed that masks will be mandatory this summer so we have moved our cruise until next summer.

8 hours ago, K32682 said:

Actually, no. The mask police people are not pleasant. An over 60 yr old woman was just assaulted and injured here when she removed her mask exiting a store. A 29 yr old male attacked her. I guess he did not consider chasing after her in a parking lot and assaulting her while she had her mask off to be that dangerous to himself.

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

Right. And I've had experiences with those in the last year.

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

For winter 2021 forward besides the port restrictions I think the lines are now leaning toward the vaccine being the sole restriction for passengers.  That is why we are not hearing a lot of updates

I'm good with that.

4 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I'm good with that.

I think it is also why they are dragging their feet on the test cruises and all of those protocols.  It is probably cheaper to wait for vaccines and no other restriction then run a bunch of test cruises that may not go well.  The public relations nightmare if those test cruises must be a terrifying prospect especially with the yellow journalism we currently are dealing with.