How risky is booking a sailing in Dec 2021

32 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

From the news, I understand that vaccines are to be available to all adults by May 1, and resulting appointments should be met by May 31. All May cruises have already been cancelled. If the info above is true, there would be no valid excuse for any adult to go without vaccinations in June and after.

I assume you are referring to news about vaccinations in the U.S.A. This is certainly not the case for adults in every country.

Regent sells its cruises to many non-U.S. citizens and most of its cruises are scheduled for itineraries outside of the U.S.A. this Summer.

All Regent's ships are moored in Italy at present.

However, we are hopeful that Regent ships will resume passenger operations sometime this year as worldwide vaccine roll-out starts to bring the pandemic under control.

flossie, Yes I meant May 1 date for all adults to get appointments, to be fulfilled by May 31 in the USA. As I understand, any surplus will be available to other countries, if there is any. All I can say is that we are not boarding a ship unless (at a minimum) all guests and crew are vaccinated and the effective date has passed.  If residents of countries where the vaccine is not available wish to book without proof of vaccine, I would expect Regent to refuse the booking. The same for those residents of the US who refuse vaccination. It may be their right to refuse, but there is no right to cruise Regent!

23 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

If residents of countries where the vaccine is not available wish to book without proof of vaccine, I would expect Regent to refuse the booking.

Since many bookings are made months, if not years, in advance a requirement for proof of vaccination at time of booking is, IMO, highly unlikely.

Regent, along with other cruise lines, will probably require proof of vaccination prior to boarding and, no doubt, some countries will require proof of vaccination as an entry requirement.

The main point of my post was to respectfully suggest that a parochial or insular attitude towards speed of vaccinations is not particularly helpful during a worldwide pandemic.

flossie, You are right of course, in that some may book a cruise a year or more before embarkation, and usually so. They may not have access to vaccination at time of booking. So a better idea would be for Regent to inform all who book that proof of vaccination will be required to embark, and if the guest can’t obtain the proof, a full cash refund will issue. Basically, we will not take a cruise until it is ensured that EVERYBODY on board has been vaccinated — even though we have been. That is requirement #1 for us to cruise again.

And, as you say, requirement #2 is that the scheduled ports be safe enough to allow us to explore them, any way we wish.

2 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Since many bookings are made months, if not years, in advance a requirement for proof of vaccination at time of booking is, IMO, highly unlikely.

Regent, along with other cruise lines, will probably require proof of vaccination prior to boarding and, no doubt, some countries will require proof of vaccination as an entry requirement.

The main point of my post was to respectfully suggest that a parochial or insular attitude towards speed of vaccinations is not particularly helpful during a worldwide pandemic.

An additional thought/concern:  it's not known how long the vaccine is effective.  I have recently had both of my Pfizer jabs....what if I want to cruise late this year or early next year (assuming cruises are operating)...will Regent accept my Feb/Mar 2021 vaccination record and let me board the ship?

1 hour ago, Kwaj girl said:

An additional thought/concern:  it's not known how long the vaccine is effective.  I have recently had both of my Pfizer jabs....what if I want to cruise late this year or early next year (assuming cruises are operating)...will Regent accept my Feb/Mar 2021 vaccination record and let me board the ship?

Like the flu shot, we may have to do this every year for a most time. We got out shot in Jan/Feb and we've booked a cruise for Feb 2022---who knows what is next, just a guess at this time.

Another hiccup I have just learned about was that since the mRNA vaccines are being administered under an EUA order,  they are not considered approved vaccines by the FDA.  It turns out there appears to be both a Federal Law and an International Agreement that unapproved vaccines cannot be mandated as a requirement.

As a disclaimer, I heard this while attending a Continuing Medical Education Zoom (to obtain credits required to renew my license).  This topic was certainly not part of the purpose of the training, but came up (almost as an aside) as an unexpected consequence of utilizing a EUA vs getting FDA approval.  Once again the presenters are physician scientists not attorneys, so it would be interesting to hear from anyone that is versed in FDA compliance law.

10 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Like the flu shot, we may have to do this every year for a most time. We got out shot in Jan/Feb and we've booked a cruise for Feb 2022---who knows what is next, just a guess at this time.

Maybe so....but will a flu shot requirement be next? 

A flu shot requirement would actually be a good idea, especially on cruises from November to April. Flu isn’t as contagious and deadly as Covid, but having the flu on a cruise would be terrible! Only problem would be that they don’t give me a certificate when I get my flu shot, so I’d have no proof.

5 hours ago, howiefrommd said:

Another hiccup I have just learned about was that since the mRNA vaccines are being administered under an EUA order,  they are not considered approved vaccines by the FDA.  It turns out there appears to be both a Federal Law and an International Agreement that unapproved vaccines cannot be mandated as a requirement.

Interesting. I wonder how Crystal is getting away with this requirement then?

4 minutes ago, Jimmcdaniel said:

They haven’t got away with this yet.  On another thread people are talking about requiring proof of the vaccine in order to book. That is ludicrous. If proof is required it will have to be proven when boarding just like yellow fever 

Thus the requirement has not yet been tested. And based on howieifrommd likely a challenge/lawsuit will be successful. Just have to wait and see. 

In my opinion booking anything right now is still very risky. Last time I managed to book something ahead of time I got in a really bad situation. I wouldnt recommend 

22 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

In my opinion booking anything right now is still very risky. Last time I managed to book something ahead of time I got in a really bad situation. I wouldnt recommend 

Well, we recently booked for July, 2022.  It's a small risk, but provides us with a lot of hope.

52 minutes ago, Jimmcdaniel said:

I could be wrong, but I believe this law only prevents the government from requiring vacs without full FDA approval. I don’t think it prohibits private entities from requiring the vacs to enter private property such as a ship.

2 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

I could be wrong, but I believe this law only prevents the government from requiring vacs without full FDA approval. I don’t think it prohibits private entities from requiring the vacs to enter private property such as a ship.

They cant force you to be vaccinated, however, they can make mandatory for you to enter any governmental facility or any other stuff unless you are vaccinnated. I mean its really crazy to think about 

19 minutes ago, Jimmcdaniel said:

As my dad used to say...that is way above my pay grade.  

I have been a bit out of touch with CC.  I did not even realize that Crystal was cruising.  

One additional tidbit....I recently (along with many other physicians and nurses) volunteered in an inner city drive to get people vaccinated.  I had several people tell me that the reason they are refusing the vaccine is that the Government is using this vaccination to implant a 5G chip in people to control them. 

When this is is a thought process,  how to you make sense out of anything.  

2 minutes ago, howiefrommd said:

I had several people tell me that the reason they are refusing the vaccine is that the Government is using this vaccination to implant a 5G chip in people to control them. 

I can tell when my chip is transmitting; I feel a tingle in my left shoulder.  😀

2 hours ago, mrlevin said:

I can tell when my chip is transmitting; I feel a tingle in my left shoulder.  😀

Maybe it will improve internet download speeds when next on a Regent ship 😉 🤣

22 hours ago, howiefrommd said:

I have been a bit out of touch with CC.  I did not even realize that Crystal was cruising.  

One additional tidbit....I recently (along with many other physicians and nurses) volunteered in an inner city drive to get people vaccinated.  I had several people tell me that the reason they are refusing the vaccine is that the Government is using this vaccination to implant a 5G chip in people to control them. 

22 hours ago, howiefrommd said:

This chip business is an urban legend. Just not true. Further, if you carry a cell phone, you can already be tracked! 

Crystal hasn’t sailed yet, as far as I can determine. And I am concerned that it never will. Their parent company, Genting of Hong Kong, is about as insolvent as any company can be. In far worse financial shape than NCLH, RCCI, or Carnival.

1 hour ago, Dolebludger said:

This chip business is an urban legend. Just not true. Further, if you carry a cell phone, you can already be tracked! 

Crystal hasn’t sailed yet, as far as I can determine. And I am concerned that it never will. Their parent company, Genting of Hong Kong, is about as insolvent as any company can be. In far worse financial shape than NCLH, RCCI, or Carnival.

Crystal just announced that they will begin 7-night sailings staying within the Bahamas this July:

Get ready to cruise again! Crystal Cruises invites you to return to sea with us this summer as we debut more than 30 new 7-night Bahamas Escapes aboard the award-winning Crystal Serenity beginning July 3, 2021. The 100% Bahamian itineraries will cruise from Nassau or Bimini roundtrip, bound for Harbour Island, Great Exuma, San Salvador and Long Island. 

Pre- and post-cruise hotel stays at Nassau’s SLS Baha Mar or the Hilton Resorts World Bimini are perfect for longer sojourns.

In addition to Double Crystal Society Savings of 5%, you’ll enjoy all-inclusive Best Available Fares from $1,999 and a $125 “As You Wish” shipboard spending credit, both per guest; as well as Low Solo Fares from just 125%. Crystal Confidence offers a No Money Down booking window through April 5, 2021, and other peace of mind assurances including reduced deposits, and relaxed final payment and cancellation terms.

Yes, Wendy, I hoped all knew that, But these days, one can’t be sure.

On another subject, the line I am most concerned about its financial ability is Crystal. As I posted above, its parent company is in horrible financial condition. If it were  US company, it would have been in bankruptcy court some time  ago. I am not familiar with bankruptcy laws in Hong Kong, so I can’t comment further. 

Crystal has the right idea to require at least current vaccinations to board and I hope same us required for 

the crew. A reason why we aren’t interesting in booking on Crystal is that their financial situation is really scary! But we won’t book a cruise on any line that allows unvaccinated people on board — guests and crew.