How risky is booking a sailing in Dec 2021

And tonight, one thing that is weird is that there is fear of another Covid spike. This is due to an increased number of people traveling on airlines. Why are airlines not required to observe distancing in aircraft cabins?  Unless one flies first/business class, one flies in a sardine can!  Restaurant/bars in my town are required to have 6’ distancing. Good. Why are airlines allowed to pack people in with no distancing? To do so, shouldn’t the airlines also require proof of current vaccination? 

Booking a cruise used to make me happy. There was joy in thinking about future travel.  Great pleasure in making plans, researching places to visit, and learning about foreign lands.  There was an upbeat feeling of something to look forward to. Never imagined that cruising would still be on hold after a year.  The travel thrill is gone.  Hope I can find it again.

39 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Never imagined that cruising would still be on hold after a year.  The travel thrill is gone.  Hope I can find it again.

What has always drawn me to cruising is the deep and significant history the industry has.  I have no doubt there will be better days ahead given that past, and positive enhancements to the onboard experience based on how the industry has evolved.  Sorry to be an optimist, but I hope new thrills are ahead.  There are a lot of new ships and experiences on the near horizon:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24441-a-look-at-the-new-luxury-cruise-ship-fleet.html

8 hours ago, johng75370 said:

What has always drawn me to cruising is the deep and significant history the industry has.  I have no doubt there will be better days ahead given that past, and positive enhancements to the onboard experience based on how the industry has evolved.  Sorry to be an optimist, but I hope new thrills are ahead.  There are a lot of new ships and experiences on the near horizon:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24441-a-look-at-the-new-luxury-cruise-ship-fleet.html

Just because there are many new ships on order doesn’t mean that they will be built. The new ones that are already built are waiting just like all the other ships.  Empty cruise ships cost their owners money to maintain.  You might see some cancelations soon.

Last night we went out to dinner with friends.  We are all fully vaccinated. First time we have seen any friends in over a year.  We often travel with them. During our discussion, we exchanged info on all the cruises that have been canceled and rebooked. All of us are stuck with fcc.   Not all on the same cruise lines. They weren’t surprised that we are canceling our summer O European cruise.  They want to know what we book next. They want to join us. We love traveling with them. However, they don’t have fcc on Oceania. For them, it would mean putting out money. For us, fcc would cover the deposit.  I am not even certain that booking again will lead to a real cruise.  For now, we wait.

11 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

And tonight, one thing that is weird is that there is fear of another Covid spike. This is due to an increased number of people traveling on airlines. Why are airlines not required to observe distancing in aircraft cabins?  Unless one flies first/business class, one flies in a sardine can!  Restaurant/bars in my town are required to have 6’ distancing. Good. Why are airlines allowed to pack people in with no distancing? To do so, shouldn’t the airlines also require proof of current vaccination? 

If the airlines gave everybody the same room as first/business class passengers, they would have to charge first/business class fares.  Not everybody that wants to travel can afford to pay those rates.  Perhaps the airlines will require proof of vaccination at some point.  From what I have read (and no, I can't quote a particular article) people aren't getting Covid during flight.

14 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

And tonight, one thing that is weird is that there is fear of another Covid spike. This is due to an increased number of people traveling on airlines. ...

That's odd.  We are approaching what they call the "third wave" here in Canada too.  But it has nothing to do with airline travel.  Here in Canada that's very minimal still, people just aren't moving around unless they have to.  And most jurisdictions have huge restrictions still in place--Toronto, for instance, has just re-opened non-essential retail, at reduced capacity, but still not restaurants or bars at all, nor gyms, hair salons or theatres.

The epidemiologists here are blaming the third wave on the new variants, and their increased transmissability (is this a word?)  Our vaccination effort is way behind yours, of course, because we have to get our vaccines from manufacturers outside of Canada, but it's accelerating.  There's hope that the third wave will be short-lived because of that.  Hoping my husband's tier will become eligible perhaps in early April, me in May.

2 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

The cruise lines are expecting reduced capacity in order to sail. Probably a good idea health wise. Why aren’t the same rules applied to airlines?

It's called break-even point.  The airlines have to have more passengers to break-even than cruise lines. 

18 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Booking a cruise used to make me happy. There was joy in thinking about future travel.  Great pleasure in making plans, researching places to visit, and learning about foreign lands.  There was an upbeat feeling of something to look forward to. Never imagined that cruising would still be on hold after a year.  The travel thrill is gone.  Hope I can find it again.

SO true....my sentiments exactly.   😢

May I return to the original topic (How risky is it to book a December cruise)? I just booked a Buenos Aires - Santiago cruise on Navigator, departing 3 December 2021. Fingers crossed that it will depart as scheduled, and I'm not that particular as to itinerary/excursions.

I'd love to hear your opinions/advice/suggestions/theories as to whether a South American cruise has a glimmer of hope to sail. A recent WSJ article lauded Chile's vaccination efforts, but I'm not sure of the on-the-ground circumstances in Argentina, Uruguay and Port Stanley.

Your thoughts?

Well, PhD-iva, I am not a betting man, but I very much hope that your trip takes place and we are due to disembark that vessel in BA.  I guess if we are in luck, you will be, too!

May be able to give you a wave.

For travelers to South America, here is some interesting news, taken from the Buenos Aires Times:

"About 21 percent of Chileans have received a coronavirus vaccine shot, more than in the United States at roughly 18 percent and way ahead of Peru at one percent and Argentina’s 2.6 percent, according to Bloomberg’s vaccine tracker. In fact, Chile, with 18 million inhabitants, expects to inoculate its entire target population by June..."

https://www.batimes.com.ar/news/latin-america/vaccine-gains-bring-chiles-pinera-back-from-the-brink.phtml

When reading the US state department's Argentina website on COVID, the current status in Argentina seems very grim, and Brazil is currently much worse.

Hmmm. Perhaps ...? I just don't know if this cruise will happen.

Pcardad, I expect you are correct that cruises to Brazil are still a long way off.  However, I believe the itinerary prior to my BsAs to Santiago cruise spends significant time in Brazil. The ship has to arrive from somewhere....

I hope they can figure this out!

14 minutes ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

Also, germane to the original question, the CDC reaffirmed the CSO today. It will expire November 1 unless lifted earlier by the CDC or the Sec’y of HHS. Those contingencies seem unlikely at best. 

IMHO likely the CSO will simply be replaced by less stringent requirements as extremely difficult to go from what likely be extremely stringent rules to no rules at all. 

On 3/8/2021 at 10:25 AM, crispy46 said:

CDC just issued new guidelines. All vaccinated people can be with other vaccinated people without needing to wear a mask or social distance. Seems to me  that soon other cruise lines will adopt the Crystal model...everybody must be vaccinated in order to cruise. Staff and guests. Question...will other countries follow the CDC?

Is that a quote?  We hear that if vaccinated you should stay within your bubble of people, anybody else wear at the mask and stay your distance.

14 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Is that a quote?  We hear that if vaccinated you should stay within your bubble of people, anybody else wear at the mask and stay your distance.

Directly from the CDC website:

Fully vaccinated people can:

• Visit with other fully vaccinated people indoors without wearing masks or physical distancing
  • Visit with unvaccinated people from a single household who are at low risk for severe COVID-19 disease indoors without wearing masks or physical distancing
  • Refrain from quarantine and testing following a known exposure if asymptomatic
23 hours ago, Jimmcdaniel said:

Directly from the CDC website:

Fully vaccinated people can:

• Visit with other fully vaccinated people indoors without wearing masks or physical distancing
  • Visit with unvaccinated people from a single household who are at low risk for severe COVID-19 disease indoors without wearing masks or physical distancing
  • Refrain from quarantine and testing following a known exposure if asymptomatic

WOW, that does surprise me, not sure I'm ready to be that near someone I don't know yet without a mask.  But that is good news, I've seen some of the early cruising will require full vaccination before you can get on the ship.