Jump to content

Our favorite Bonaire snorkeling tour!


JustinPlusLauren
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm currently dreaming about Bonaire right now, how about you? 

 

Once we can all go back to traveling again, some of the best snorkeling I've seen in the world was in Bonaire. I've never had a turtle swim right up to me before like that, it was amazing!


We went for a snorkeling excursion near Klein Bonaire with Woodwind and had an amazing few hours with them. I've written all about it on my blog if you'd like to take a look - lots of photos! I'll post a few here so you can see.

 

Here's the blog: https://justinpluslauren.com/bonaire-snorkeling/

 

Bonaire-Snorkeling-Title.jpg

 

Caribbean-Bonaire46-X2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

I’m currently planning for a cruise next year which includes Aruba, Bonaire and curaçao. I was glad to see your report about the snorkelling in Bonaire, but concerned when I saw your Aruba report of the jellyfish sting. I’m allergic to the fairly harmless jellyfish here in Ireland so I’m thoroughly paranoid about the more exotic varieties found in warmer waters. 
On the snorkelling excursions I’ve done previously in the Caribbean the crew all said they never saw any jellyfish. Though when I tried Snuba the guide for that was hyper cautious and made sure the shoreside support kept my epi-pen to-hand. 

Your Aruba report reinforces my need to bring an epi-pen and add Benadryl lotion to my kit. For those without an allergy but wanting to avoid a sting I also use surf leggings and a long sleeve rash vest to minimise risk. (A wetsuit would be overkill in Caribbean water temperatures when you’re used to Irish temperatures)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Thanks for this!  We just booked on the Celebrity Silhouette for Xmas/New Years and I'm just starting to explore excursions for that cruise.  We had a great time snorkeling on the last cruise so I'm hoping to get some great ideas for the upcoming cruise, particularly as we're going with the extended family. Any excursions we can enjoy together make it that much more fun.  Looking forward to reading your blog.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/6/2021 at 5:23 PM, eileeshb said:

I’m currently planning for a cruise next year which includes Aruba, Bonaire and curaçao. I was glad to see your report about the snorkelling in Bonaire, but concerned when I saw your Aruba report of the jellyfish sting. I’m allergic to the fairly harmless jellyfish here in Ireland so I’m thoroughly paranoid about the more exotic varieties found in warmer waters. 
On the snorkelling excursions I’ve done previously in the Caribbean the crew all said they never saw any jellyfish. Though when I tried Snuba the guide for that was hyper cautious and made sure the shoreside support kept my epi-pen to-hand. 

Your Aruba report reinforces my need to bring an epi-pen and add Benadryl lotion to my kit. For those without an allergy but wanting to avoid a sting I also use surf leggings and a long sleeve rash vest to minimise risk. (A wetsuit would be overkill in Caribbean water temperatures when you’re used to Irish temperatures)

 

I can tell you that Woodwind is extremely thorough in their customer service. They provided shorty wetsuits, footies to make the flippers more comfortable, and prescription masks, among other things. Dee even helped apply sunscreen. My husband, who would freeze to death in Irish temperatures, was glad of the wetsuit, since the water temperature was probably not much over 80 F. 

 

I don't recall any issues with jellyfish in Bonaire, nor was I ever warned of them when we snorkeled in Aruba, but forewarned is forearmed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2021 at 2:39 AM, CntPAcruiser said:

 

I can tell you that Woodwind is extremely thorough in their customer service. They provided shorty wetsuits, footies to make the flippers more comfortable, and prescription masks, among other things. Dee even helped apply sunscreen. My husband, who would freeze to death in Irish temperatures, was glad of the wetsuit, since the water temperature was probably not much over 80 F. 

 

I don't recall any issues with jellyfish in Bonaire, nor was I ever warned of them when we snorkeled in Aruba, but forewarned is forearmed.


the warmest the sea in Ireland gets to is 61F, and I’ve been known to go swimming in March which is when it’s at its coldest of 50F or below.  Divers here use a 7mm + wetsuit or a dry suit. I was one of the no wetsuit crowd until I started surfing and caved to using a shortie wetsuit, then got stung by a jellyfish which led to doctors orders to wear a full length wetsuit as I was building to anaphylaxis. Thankfully since that time surf leggings and long sleeve rash vests have become available so I can ditch the neoprene when swimming again. I still use a wetsuit  snorkelling here though as I wouldn’t be generating as much body heat through activity as I would swimming. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, better_at_sea said:

I'm also taking a cruise next summer that goes to Aruba, Bonaire and Curaçao. If I'm only planning to go snorkeling on one of the 3 islands, is there one you would recommend over the others? 

Bonaire.  Take a water taxi to Klein Bonaire or rent a car to go to various spots to snorkel from the shore.  Salt flats, 1000 steps are a couple of good spots.  You can look online for a map of snorkeling spots from the shore.  Mind you you do need your own equipment but its so amazing, its worth the investment.  We have snorkeled all over the Caribbean and Bonaire is the best followed by Culebra and St. John.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/6/2021 at 5:23 PM, JustinPlusLauren said:

I'm currently dreaming about Bonaire right now, how about you? 

 

Once we can all go back to traveling again, some of the best snorkeling I've seen in the world was in Bonaire. I've never had a turtle swim right up to me before like that, it was amazing!


We went for a snorkeling excursion near Klein Bonaire with Woodwind and had an amazing few hours with them. I've written all about it on my blog if you'd like to take a look - lots of photos! I'll post a few here so you can see.

 

Here's the blog: https://justinpluslauren.com/bonaire-snorkeling/

 

Bonaire-Snorkeling-Title.jpg

 

Caribbean-Bonaire46-X2.jpg

Hi, we just booked a last minute cruise on Celebrity Equinox mid September 2021.  Woodwind is booked for the day we are in port.  Do you know of any other excursions that provide same type of service that Woodwind does?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/7/2021 at 12:39 AM, taylortime05 said:

Hi, we just booked a last minute cruise on Celebrity Equinox mid September 2021.  Woodwind is booked for the day we are in port.  Do you know of any other excursions that provide same type of service that Woodwind does?  

 

Did you ask Ulf to wait list you?  He has done that in the past, as sometimes people do drop out. 

 

I went with this company once when I was mad because so many rookies were damaging the reef off of Woodwind. Not Woodwind's fault, I know, but they are so good with beginners that people are going out with them who have no idea how to behave on a sensitive reef, and no business being there.  It's heartbreaking to watch them kick and walk on the coral. 

 

Compass does not hold a candle to Woodwind, but they did take us to a different  site than Klein Bonaire, which was quite good snorkeling. 

https://www.compassbonaire.com/

 

If you have your own equipment you can simply take the hourly ferry (like Sea Cow or Good Return) over to Klein Bonaire.  They usually let you drop your stuff, then take you down island so you can drift snorkle back to the pick up point. Note that there are no facilities there, so bring your own water bottle.

 

FYI, to Woodwind past passengers: They have finally raised the price, it's $85 now. Still a bargain. 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

 

Did you ask Ulf to wait list you?  He has done that in the past, as sometimes people do drop out. 

 

I went with this company once when I was mad because so many rookies were damaging the reef off of Woodwind. Not Woodwind's fault, I know, but they are so good with beginners that people are going out with them who have no idea how to behave on a sensitive reef, and no business being there.  It's heartbreaking to watch them kick and walk on the coral. 

 

Compass does not hold a candle to Woodwind, but they did take us to a different  site than Klein Bonaire, which was quite good snorkeling. 

https://www.compassbonaire.com/

 

If you have your own equipment you can simply take the hourly ferry (like Sea Cow or Good Return) over to Klein Bonaire.  They usually let you drop your stuff, then take you down island so you can drift snorkle back to the pick up point. Note that there are no facilities there, so bring your own water bottle.

 

FYI, to Woodwind past passengers: They have finally raised the price, it's $85 now. Still a bargain. 

 

 

 

 

I did ask Ulf to add us to the wait list but he has not responded.  Thank you for the other recommendation.  Another person on our roll call suggested H20 Visions and I'm checking them out.  I loved Woodwind because we aren't very experienced and they were so good!  We had so much fun!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: AmaWaterways Announces an Extended Season on the Douro River
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...