Jump to content

Paying Final Payment for a World Cruise on a Credit Card?


Smokeyham
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 4/10/2021 at 4:13 PM, Heidi13 said:

 

Others can confirm, but I suspect most, if not all, cruise lines with World Cruises/Grand Voyages will zero the onboard account and charge to a credit card multiple times during the cruise.

 

On Regent and Crystal, unless you request otherwise, the charges accumulate and you pay at the end of the full cruise. Of course, Regent is inclusive of the major expenses, and Crystal of many of the major expenses, so the accumulation of charges isn't that large (but you sure do pay for it all beforehand as part of the fare). And both tend to offer fairly generous OBCs, which do get credited against your charges as you go along.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While it wasn’t a world cruise I did try paying a final payment on a Viking cruise through my Chase card.  I did a prepayment of the full amount which was way above the credit limit.  I presupposed that meant my credit limit would have been higher because the initial negative balance but Chase would not bite.  The trick would have been to have Viking charge in credit limit chunks and let them process from pending to transacted before doing the next chunk.  I should have done that but I wound up splitting the charge among multiple cards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/16/2021 at 11:51 PM, zalusky said:

While it wasn’t a world cruise I did try paying a final payment on a Viking cruise through my Chase card.  I did a prepayment of the full amount which was way above the credit limit.  I presupposed that meant my credit limit would have been higher because the initial negative balance but Chase would not bite.  The trick would have been to have Viking charge in credit limit chunks and let them process from pending to transacted before doing the next chunk.  I should have done that but I wound up splitting the charge among multiple cards.

Looking at Princess' website, it shows that you make partial payments in advance of the final payment date.  Does anyone know if this is typical for most cruise lines?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

Looking at Princess' website, it shows that you make partial payments in advance of the final payment date.  Does anyone know if this is typical for most cruise lines?

I have never been required to make payments beyond deposit and final payments except for prepurchasing shipboard expenses or insurance.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

Looking at Princess' website, it shows that you make partial payments in advance of the final payment date.  Does anyone know if this is typical for most cruise lines?

 

I think doing such is possible for any long cruise payment.  Why would they not want to accept your money on a regular basis?  Particularly, now, when their cash flow is near zero.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, zalusky said:

I have never been required to make payments beyond deposit and final payments except for prepurchasing shipboard expenses or insurance.

The question was for those of us who want to make smaller payments in advance of the final payment date so that we do not exceed a preferred credit card's spending limit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

The question was for those of us who want to make smaller payments in advance of the final payment date so that we do not exceed a preferred credit card's spending limit.

I can easily imagine everybody would allow that in front of final payment just go to make a payment  and make it a partial.

Edited by zalusky
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, zalusky said:

I can easily imagine everybody would allow that in front of final payment just go to make a payment  and make it a partial.

That what seem to make sense. I can't see a downside for the cruise lines.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2021 at 11:23 AM, Heidi13 said:

 

Depends on which WC you are booking, but for booking a WC, I suggest a minimum of $30 to $50K

 

Mass market mega ship cruise lines have a lower base price, but I doubt $10K is sufficient, even for 1 person. Our 2015 Princess WC in a midship's balcony was about $35K pp.

 

If booking a premium/luxury line, expect prices of $50K + pp. Note - by the end of the cruise, the per diem price will be almost identical, as on premium/luxury lines you have no, or minimal bill upon departure.

 

Another consideration, since WC's are selling our quickly, I doubt you will see any price discounts. If anything, price increases are probable. Our 2023 WC, which we booked in December is sold out, with our cabin having increased $6k pp.

Heidi13 can you point me to your price comparison between mass market and luxury per diem costs?   I looked at your blog, but I didn't see anything.  Sorry, I am notsure very computer savy.   Thanks.   Helen

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hflors said:

Heidi13 can you point me to your price comparison between mass market and luxury per diem costs?   I looked at your blog, but I didn't see anything.  Sorry, I am notsure very computer savy.   Thanks.   Helen

 

Hi Helen,

 

On our blog I have completed a number of posts outlining our onboard experiences between mega ship and luxury/premium world cruises, but don't recall completing a discussion of cost comparisons.

 

I completed a quick cost comparison on the World Cruise Board almost a couple of years ago, which I found. Here is a link post # 66 on page 3.

 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2550755-which-company-for-inexpensive-worldwide-trip/page/3/

 

Please note that this is just our experience and is only a comparison of our 2 world cruises on Princess and Viking Ocean.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

i make the WC payments work for me, I apply for Credit cards with high spend but lots of points or miles..then i use the new cards to make payments   I'm figuring when I'm done paying  off my WC 2023 I will have  acrued a half of million points of some sort.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 11:17 AM, 2552phxcrzr said:

I simply pay the final amount in installments over a period of couple of weeks by paying off the CC balance in full before making the next installment payment.  Another alternative would be to use multiple credit cards, but I prefer to collect my miles/points on a single card.

simply pay the final amount in installments over a period of couple of weeks 

we do the same thing

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I transfer a chunk of money to my credit card account and then make daily partial payment for the amount limited on that card. Like to use one particular card because it gives me airline-miles, works out better for me then the cash-back on my card with the higher limit. Just doing that for an outrageous Home-insurance bill (looking forward to the points 🙂)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holland America Line’s Alaska Exploration Sale
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...