New CDC Guidelines for Vaccinated People

10 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Guess again. How many cruises/passengers can they siphon through Cozumel? What happens if the CDC/politicians tell the lines to move all of there business out of the U.S? Businesses shutdown all the time and we manage to survive and move on. In the scheme of things, the cruising industry, as a whole, affects a very small piece of the economy, probably about as much as the people who die from Covid. Call it collateral damage. 

It's just a guess at this point, but given the hemorrhaging the cruise industry has experienced in the last year, it's no surprise to see more and more lines look to foreign ports, doing only domestic cruises (such as P&O in the UK, Royal in Israel and Singapore, MSC in Europe).  I expect this will continue to happen until there's enough pressure put on the CDC to allow cruising to resume from the US.

I can tell you that Floridians are furious about it. Their economy depends, in part, on these cruises, to the tune of $52 billion annually. Hardly a "very small piece of the economy," to quote you.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article248978645.html

From the article I cited above:

The Florida Ports Council, which continues to push for seaports to be included in federal pandemic relief efforts, has estimated that the economic impact of COVID-19 on the 15 ports in Florida has reached $22 billion, cutting $775 million in tax revenue and affecting 170,000 jobs.

“That is a significant impact on Florida,” Rubin said. “Sixty percent of cruise activity occurs in Florida.”

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ellaleah said:

It is so amazing that so many are willing to fly to Mexico and board there when we know it is not even safe to drink the water there!  You cannot trust the police and the cartels run much of the country.   Why are you willing to risk your health or life on Mexico’s rules!  

We drink tap water all the time in Mexico.  Our ice maker is from city water as well.    Pretty sure more people are shot in Chicago on a bad weekend then are shot in Cozumel in a long time.

What Mexico rules cause you to risk your life or health.  Many areas of Mexico have more Covid restrictions than most of the US.

• Like 2

It is so amazing that so many are willing to fly to Mexico and board there when we know it is not even safe to drink the water there!  You cannot trust the police and the cartels run much of the country.   Why are you willing to risk your health or life on Mexico’s rules!  

Duplicate 

Edited by Seville2Cabo
  • Like 1

My experience differs greatly from yours.

I love to visit Mexico most especially the Yucatan region (so much history to see). I have spent a number of weeks there, the people are so lovely.

There are many countries which suffer from poor quality drinking water, however I definitely don’t feel like I am risking my health or life in Mexico.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Missusdubbya said:

My experience differs greatly from yours.

I love to visit Mexico most especially the Yucatan region (so much history to see). I have spent a number of weeks there, the people are so lovely.

There are many countries which suffer from poor quality drinking water, however I definitely don’t feel like I am risking my health or life in Mexico

I can’t imagine why we are having a problem at the border.  You make Mexico sound glorious.  Why are the citizens all trying to leave?  BTW, I was not referring to the Yucatán, I was referring to the fact that Mexico may be more amenable to having cruises leave from there.  Why would one want to  go to the country with lesser restrictions?  

56 minutes ago, Ellaleah said:

I can’t imagine why we are having a problem at the border.  You make Mexico sound glorious.  Why are the citizens all trying to leave?  BTW, I was not referring to the Yucatán, I was referring to the fact that Mexico may be more amenable to having cruises leave from there.  Why would one want to  go to the country with lesser restrictions?  

Mexico is awesome and the people are wonderful.  Outside the big cities the law is compromised.  Mexico has done a lot for tourism and tourists.  Some years ago we stopped in Mazatlan....after a few years of no cruises there.  We walked to downtown from the port and traveled by bus and taxi.  Police everywhere.  Did not feel unsafe one bit.  We also hired a taxi to go to Merida on the other side on another cruise.  Great day.  Mexicans love Americans and our tourist $$.  They are a warm and welcoming people as a whole.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Tippyton said:
1 hour ago, Ellaleah said:

Mexico is awesome and the people are wonderful.  Outside the big cities the law is compromised.  Mexico has done a lot for tourism and tourists.  Some years ago we stopped in Mazatlan....after a few years of no cruises there.  We walked to downtown from the port and traveled by bus and taxi.  Police everywhere.  Did not feel unsafe one bit.  We also hired a taxi to go to Merida on the other side on another cruise.  Great day.  Mexicans love Americans and our tourist $$.  They are a warm and welcoming people as a whole.

Mexico is full of CORRUPTION!  You cannot trust the police.  I know people that have been robbed and my last Mexico cruise bypassed Mazatlan.  Ii is a big city!  Some  El Chapo stuff that was going on.  They worship him in Mazatlan and he is a murderer many times over.  They worship him or did befire he was in prison because they are POOR and he would give them money.  There are or were idols of him around that people worshiped.   Again, if it’s so great, why aren’t the Americans at the border trying to get in there.  ANSWER:  Because it is not!  Americans only praise it on here because it is a CHEAP vacation !

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Ellaleah said:

Americans only praise it on here because it is a CHEAP vacation !

I am not American, and for me it is expensive to visit Mexico.

You sound hysterical, we get it, you don’t enjoy visiting Mexico. However continuing to speak badly of Mexico and the Mexican people is unacceptable to me, please stop doing that. 

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, Missusdubbya said:

I am not American, and for me it is expensive to visit Mexico.

You sound hysterical, we get it, you don’t enjoy visiting Mexico. However continuing to speak badly of Mexico and the Mexican people is unacceptable to me, please stop doing that. 

I am in no way speaking bad of the Mexican people, only their corrupt government which victimizes them! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ellaleah said:

Mexico is full of CORRUPTION!  You cannot trust the police.  I know people that have been robbed and my last Mexico cruise bypassed Mazatlan.  Ii is a big city!  Some  El Chapo stuff that was going on.  They worship him in Mazatlan and he is a murderer many times over.  They worship him or did befire he was in prison because they are POOR and he would give them money.  There are or were idols of him around that people worshiped.   Again, if it’s so great, why aren’t the Americans at the border trying to get in there.  ANSWER:  Because it is not!  Americans only praise it on here because it is a CHEAP vacation !

Many expats there.  There were numerous expat "Ambassadors" there to assist tourists.  We spoke to one couple from Wisconsin at length.  True, the police can't be trusted, but I trusted them standing at the corners that they were not going to let the tourists get hassled.  I have a friend who did a motorcycle tour from TX  deep into MX with some riding buddies.  They had to be careful but their experience was what mine have been.  I've entertained retiring in San Miguel de Allende along with a few thousand expats.  Are Americans a warm and hospitable people or is all America like the south  side of Chicago on a Saturday night?  And we wonder where the term "ugly American" comes from.

10 hours ago, Ellaleah said:

Why did you book a cruise going to Mexico?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Tippyton said:

Many expats there.  There were numerous expat "Ambassadors" there to assist tourists.  We spoke to one couple from Wisconsin at length.  True, the police can't be trusted, but I trusted them standing at the corners that they were not going to let the tourists get hassled.  I have a friend who did a motorcycle tour from TX  deep into MX with some riding buddies.  They had to be careful but their experience was what mine have been.  I've entertained retiring in San Miguel de Allende along with a few thousand expats.  Are Americans a warm and hospitable people or is all America like the south  side of Chicago on a Saturday night?  And we wonder where the term "ugly American" comes from.

I think the “Ugly American” term may come from those that are anti immigration, but want to go to Mexico for a cheap vacation!    Oh, and let’s not forget the cheap retirement down there!

19 hours ago, Ellaleah said:

Do you get your info from watching Narco’s Mexico or the El Chapo series?  

From your comments I assume you do not travel out of the US very much.  If you did , you would know that most of the world outside of the US and other first world countries have high corruption and  low wages for their citizens.  Many have heavily armed police or marines on the corners.  Mexico is average on both accounts.  

Yes I know you can retire or vacation in Mexico for less than the US, but the same can be said of many countries.  - But there are many 5 start resorts that are not cheap and in my area, new houses are starting at over a million.  (We’ve been there 12 years, so an older area)

And in response to your post current problems at the border , the vast majority are not Mexicans.  They are from Central America.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ellaleah said:

I think the “Ugly American” term may come from those that are anti immigration, but want to go to Mexico for a cheap vacation!    Oh, and let’s not forget the cheap retirement down there!

Anti immigration and enjoying foreign travel are not mutually exclusive.  "Ugly American" came from the idea that people who travel to foreign countries do not respect that country's norms, and would rather have a McD on every corner,.  "Ugly American" comes from people like....I can't think of anybody with that attitude just now, but it will come to me.

• Like 2