New CDC Guidelines for Vaccinated People

21 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

If children aren't at risk, why have schools been mostly closed for the past year (and still are)?

Think logically now. If children are still at such high risk why are States opening up?? Shouldn't they stay closed to protect the children who can't be vaccinated yet? Schools are closed because teacher's unions wield much power. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, orville99 said:

In my career, a 40-hour week would have been considered a part-time job. And a typical 40 year career, the average worker changed employers 3-4 times. Today, a 40-hour week is considered something from the prehistoric era, and working for any company more than 4-5 years is considered a career-limiting-move. Companies started scrapping pension plans (other than governments and unions) 25-30 years ago, and replaced them with 401K plans (if they replaced them at all). 

I worked 46 years full time plus 2 years part time. I worked in aviation, working shifts, getting up at 3.30, working four weekends in six, Christmas, Easter etc. When my company offered redundancy last November, I grateful accepted, feel like I've done my bit, over to the youngsters now..... 

Looking forward to the next stage looking after grandchildren ❤️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

They are using predominantly Astra Zeneca/Oxford, 

UK has ordered 40 mill PZ and 100 mill AZ plus others. Pfizer got the green light several weeks, before the AZ from the regulators so we are probably ahead with Pfizer at the moment  . 

I got Pfizer, husband got AZ, same centre, two days apart. 

I was also concerned initially about the 12 week delay between both jabs. But real world data over last three months have shown very high levels of protection and in fact several other countries are now going down this route. 

The idea behind it was to get some protection into as many people as quickly as possible

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sgmn said:

UK has ordered 40 mill PZ and 100 mill AZ plus others. Pfizer got the green light several weeks, before the AZ from the regulators so we are probably ahead with Pfizer at the moment  . 

I got Pfizer, husband got AZ, same centre, two days apart. 

I was also concerned initially about the 12 week delay between both jabs. But real world data over last three months have shown very high levels of protection and in fact several other countries are now going down this route. 

The idea behind it was to get some protection into as many people as quickly as possible

I completely understand the rationale behind it, but as a medial professional I am a real stickler about sticking to the protocols that won regulatory approval; but that's just me.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

Why?  It is by no means certain that the CDC statement does or will extend to cruise ships. Or that cruise line if it does extend to cruise ships will abide by it? They may decide better to enforce mask wearing for public health from Covid, Cold, Flu even Noro. Nevermind for a second that it will be a long time before staff get vaccinated. Are they whilst unvaccinated to deal with countless unmasked persons with vaccines not 100% effective?

Surely you are not advocating that cruise lines will target herd immunity for staff from the catching of infection in lieu of vaccination at the start. And there is no way it will not spread in their close quarters below decks.

wth are you talking about...

Edited by Pandamonia

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

If children aren't at risk, why have schools been mostly closed for the past year (and still are)?

Our schools have been open for in person learning since September.  The school unions are the reason the public schools are closed around the country.  The private schools in the same areas have been open.

• Like 10

15 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

wth are you talking about...

Masks will worn on ships forever imho. In the short term to protect the staff who are not vaccinated when sailing resumes and will not be vaccinated for some time. And in the longer term to prevent Covid, Flu, Cold and Noro outbreaks on ships. Cruising will never return to the way it was in 2019

• Haha 2

Just now, ace2542 said:

Masks will worn on ships forever imho. In the short term to protect the staff who are not vaccinated when sailing resumes and will not be vaccinated for some time. And in the longer term to prevent Covid, Flu, Cold and Noro outbreaks on ships. Cruising will never return to the way it was in 2019

Disagree.

You can bet your bottom dollar that all staff will be vaccinated.

Wearing a mask for the flu and common cold will not be mandated. 

Agree.

There are portions of the cruise industry that will never be like 2019...i.e. Windjammer buffet.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Disagree.

You can bet your bottom dollar that all staff will be vaccinated.

Wearing a mask for the flu and common cold will not be mandated. 

Agree.

There are portions of the cruise industry that will never be like 2019...i.e. Windjammer buffet.

Not before it starts up again they won't. Not possible except maybe  in the case of the all American NCL Pride/Pride of America staff who are American. Vaccine is moving very slowly in many countries and yet plans are to resume sailings in what weeks? A few months maybe?

Of course portions of the cruise industry will never be the same again. Masks will be worn at all times onboard apart from in cabins at bare minimum. Masks worn during tender process.  No buffet as you say and no more walking round the ship aimlessly with drink in your hand. And staff will mask up their entire contract apart from in their cabins.

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Not before it starts up again they won't. Not possible except maybe  in the case of the all American NCL Pride/Pride of America staff who are American. Vaccine is moving very slowly in many countries and yet plans are to resume sailings in what weeks? A few months maybe?

Of course portions of the cruise industry will never be the same again. Masks will be worn at all times onboard apart from in cabins at bare minimum. Masks worn during tender process.  No buffet as you say and no more walking round the ship aimlessly with drink in your hand. And staff will mask up their entire contract apart from in their cabins.

I am really happy the you are not the CEO of a cruise line.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I am really happy the you are not the CEO of a cruise line.

I am sure Royal and the other lines are open to suggestions as to how get vaccines on a corporate level for staff when for all intents and purposes that doesn't seem to be possible. And since that doesn't seem to be possible I am sure they are open to suggestion on how to protect their staff from an outbreak which once it takes off will cripple a ship - the noro on the pearl April 2019 did -. I have no suggestions as to how achieve it apart from masks et al. But if you have any send them along.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I am sure Royal and the other lines are open to suggestions as to how get vaccines on a corporate level for staff when for all intents and purposes that doesn't seem to be possible. And since that doesn't seem to be possible I am sure they are open to suggestion on how to protect their staff from an outbreak which once it takes off will cripple a ship - the noro on the pearl April 2019 did -. I have no suggestions as to how achieve it apart from masks et al. But if you have any send them along.

Thanks, I'll shoot an e-mail off to Mr. Fain and Mr. Bayley tonight. When I apply to be their next medical director of Royal Caribbean Group can I list you as a reference?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I thought I read on the CDC website that they were recommending that all the crew be vaccinated?  Maybe I read it wrong, but I could easily see the following happening:

1.) All crew being vaccinated

2.) All passengers being vaccinated

3.) All kids having to be Binaxed or not allowed to cruise for the foreseeable future

What I am curious about is weather or not they will require masks on the ship in public areas if everyone is vaccinated.  I can see it in ports, especially the international ones who may have different guidance than our CDC.

I'm actually excited about the new guidance.  It may not be where we want to be right now in terms of being back to normal, but it's a HUGE step in the right direction!  

3 hours ago, Keksie said:

Our schools have been open for in person learning since September.  The school unions are the reason the public schools are closed around the country.  The private schools in the same areas have been open.

I totally agree.  All private schools in our area have been open since last August.

Also the public schools in several nearby County have also been open since August but it’s because the school board there didn’t get hysterical about Covid, but used common sense requirements that have worked well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Nope, not going to happen.

The vaccines are showing great results.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ace2542 said:

I dunno what planet you live on.

This wont happen. they will drop requirement as soon as they are allowed to or cruising will be dead. 

Firstly Colds are multiple viruses and some never leave your body. They are hide and seek viruses like cold sores. Noro is spread by vomiting so masks are worse than no mask. 

You cant wear a mask 24/7. You also cannot stop people having contact between cabins. Not to mention THEY DONT WORK

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

THEY DONT WORK

False. When everyone wears a mask airborne virus transmission is greatly reduced. There are numerous studies that have established this as fact. If that isn't enough just look objectively at the covid-19 data.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, broberts said:

False. When everyone wears a mask airborne virus transmission is greatly reduced. There are numerous studies that have established this as fact. If that isn't enough just look objectively at the covid-19 data.

Wrong.

Masks stop droplets. They do not stop Aerosols. Hospitals are 100% mask compliance and they are also the highest risk areas for passive infection. Air samples were taken from different parts of hospitals and ALL contained high concentrations of viral particles. An infected patient can infect another person 20 feet away in the same room even though both are wearing masks. Actual studies were done. Its scientific fact. 

This is why my sister wears Medical grade N95 gas tested masks and goggles and isnt allowed to remove them unless in a secure ventilated area or outside. 

It also defies logic because if it was that simple then this pandemic would have been over long time ago. Mask compliance is high in the UK and we have one of the worst infection rates in the world. 

A worker come in to a care home here with a sore throat wearing her mask and infected 27 staff in a single day. They all had masks on including the sick worker. 

Only a fool would think they work. They estimate the effect is a 3% reduction in total infections which is tiny but on a global scale adds up. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I completely understand the rationale behind it, but as a medial professional I am a real stickler about sticking to the protocols that won regulatory approval; but that's just me.

Actually I was wondering myself about this. I keep hearing getting the 2nd dose at 12 weeks gives the longest coverage, so to say this they must have studied it?

I for sure went and got mine and didnt chance waiting, but I was thinking the news keeps saying 12 weeks optimal but we are doing 3 weeks. Maybe by a year from now the protocols will have changed, or maybe it's too hard to plan 3 months in advance. Idk, but its occurred to me too.

I'm thinking things will keep evolving as we know more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pandamonia said:

I dunno what planet you live on.

This wont happen. they will drop requirement as soon as they are allowed to or cruising will be dead. 

Firstly Colds are multiple viruses and some never leave your body. They are hide and seek viruses like cold sores. Noro is spread by vomiting so masks are worse than no mask. 

You cant wear a mask 24/7. You also cannot stop people having contact between cabins. Not to mention THEY DONT WORK

Agreed with everything but the last line sentence.  

They do work, but the right level PPE is needed for the environment.  A highly infected hospital environment such as your sisters hospital is not the same as a low risk one such as a grocery store.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 5

Just now, A&L_Ont said:

Agreed with everything but the last line sentence.  

They do work, but the right level PPE is needed for the environment.  A highly infected hospital environment is not the same as a low risk one such as a grocery store.

N95 masks work. Anything less than that dont do anything. 

Even hospitals only use surgical masks for covid infected people for no other reason than they cant get enough N95 for everyone but N95 masks have to be changed because they lose their static charge.

Masks are worn for no other reason is that when talking someone doesnt spit a droplet in to your eyes. But if you stay in the room with an infected person for a period of time it makes zero difference unless you have an N95 mask on because N95 masks have carbon filters which are statically charged to trap particles.