Jump to content

Discovery Princess @ Fincantieri, Monfalcone Italy


Recommended Posts

Still cool to see, but not as exciting since my New Year cruise is now the Regal.  Nothing against the Regal, but I was looking forward to the shiny new ship.

Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks for rubbing it in ... "was" scheduled for the little 4 day US 'inaugural' on 12/9/21 - since changed to Regal - which we cancelled

 

bummer

 

but thanks for the pics

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the pictures...In just over a year we’re scheduled to sail B2B West Coast cruises on Discovery & hoping the ship arrives in LA as scheduled for the first cruise on 3/1/22. 🤞

Link to post
Share on other sites

We were bumped from Discovery for a b2b South America cruise to the Diamond, “the ship that started this mess”.

 

Hal

Link to post
Share on other sites

Excited to see her develop, but I'm also excited to be done with the Royal-class phase. I know the new orders have already been made for the next vessels to come online, but I'm really hoping Carnival develops an actually innovative and mindful concept for Princess that doesn't indulge on the many flaws that plague most new ships today. But I'm not holding my breath. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, snoozecrooze said:

Excited to see her develop, but I'm also excited to be done with the Royal-class phase. I know the new orders have already been made for the next vessels to come online, but I'm really hoping Carnival develops an actually innovative and mindful concept for Princess that doesn't indulge on the many flaws that plague most new ships today. But I'm not holding my breath. 

Interested in your topic.  Could you be a little more specific?  Thanks

 

Judy from SW Florida

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

18 hours ago, snoozecrooze said:

Excited to see her develop, but I'm also excited to be done with the Royal-class phase. I know the new orders have already been made for the next vessels to come online, but I'm really hoping Carnival develops an actually innovative and mindful concept for Princess that doesn't indulge on the many flaws that plague most new ships today. But I'm not holding my breath. 

4 hours ago, Jemnibabe said:

Interested in your topic.  Could you be a little more specific?  Thanks

 

Judy from SW Florida

 

Not snoozecrooze but, some well-known flaws in the Royal-class are:

  • Balconies ridiculously narrow.
  • Soot on aft balconies.
  • Initial builds without mid-ship stairs going all the way up to Lido deck.
  • Venues that don't work, i.e. the original Princess Live and that god-awful Club 6 (now Take 5 on newer builds).

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

whoa there skippy !  being a musician,   I happen to like the jazz venue. 

Edited by c-boy
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

 

 

Not snoozecrooze but, some well-known flaws in the Royal-class are:

  • Balconies ridiculously narrow.
  • Soot on aft balconies.
  • Initial builds without mid-ship stairs going all the way up to Lido deck.
  • Venues that don't work, i.e. the original Princess Live and that god-awful Club 6 (now Take 5 on newer builds).

 

 

  • Wrap-around promenade deck
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, c-boy said:

whoa there skippy !  being a musician,   I happen to like the jazz venue. 

Oh sorry! I shouldn't have been so vague. The music is great but the space is awkward and horror of all horrors, they try to use it for Bingo! 🤣

 

And BTW, how did you know my grandfather from Scotland used to call me Skippy?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

Oh sorry! I shouldn't have been so vague. The music is great but the space is awkward and horror of all horrors, they try to use it for Bingo! 🤣

 

And BTW, how did you know my grandfather from Scotland used to call me Skippy?

I read it on your FaceBook page 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Fixed and retro-fitted.

Yes that's true but the question pertained to problems with initial builds. So yes, mid-ship stairs were definitely a problem with the Royal as evidenced by Princess eventually correcting the situation.

 

To make matters worse, IIRC, the Grand Princess had the same or similar problem with the mid-ship stairs when she first sailed. Somebody didn't learn from a past mistake and, to me anyway, that's a pretty clear indication there will again be new-build problems with the next class of ship coming down the line and, some of those problems may be repeats!

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

Yes that's true but the question pertained to problems with initial builds. So yes, mid-ship stairs were definitely a problem with the Royal as evidenced by Princess eventually correcting the situation.

 

To make matters worse, IIRC, the Grand Princess had the same or similar problem with the mid-ship stairs when she first sailed. Somebody didn't learn from a past mistake and, to me anyway, that's a pretty clear indication there will again be new-build problems with the next class of ship coming down the line and, some of those problems may be repeats!

 

On the Royal the stairs were there from the start but were not finished to look nice for passenger use in order to save money during construction. Thus they were crew-only stairs for several years until they were modified for passenger use.

 

On the Grand, the stairs are also there, but from deck 7 to the Lido deck are reserved for crew use only. Still true today.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2021 at 3:11 PM, need2cruisesoon said:

Couple more from today:

 

 

 

 

 

Photo Credit Fincantieri FB

160865529_265394621751102_3095549839452807998_n.jpg

160651320_265394578417773_7988334528373153437_n.jpg

Any chance you can get a photo of the aft cabins? Thanks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, caribill said:

 

On the Royal the stairs were there from the start but were not finished to look nice for passenger use in order to save money during construction. Thus they were crew-only stairs for several years until they were modified for passenger use.

 

On the Grand, the stairs are also there, but from deck 7 to the Lido deck are reserved for crew use only. Still true today.

I attended a pre- center stairway talk on the Royal by one of the corporation's architects. One of the main complaints was lack of a center stairway. His initial response was that no one used the stairs plus the millions it would cost to convert them. A challenge to him was that the cost of converting the stairs was probably less than the amount of negative social media comments about the ship. He stated we could be right. Of course, we were, and the stairs were renovated. The customers were also correct regarding Princess Live, lack of Crooner's on the Sky, no aft pool on the Royal as well as other design issues in royal class designs. I think it's probably as right as they can get it on the Enchanted and Discovery.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, skynight said:

I attended a pre- center stairway talk on the Royal by one of the corporation's architects. One of the main complaints was lack of a center stairway. His initial response was that no one used the stairs plus the millions it would cost to convert them. A challenge to him was that the cost of converting the stairs was probably less than the amount of negative social media comments about the ship. He stated we could be right. Of course, we were, and the stairs were renovated. The customers were also correct regarding Princess Live, lack of Crooner's on the Sky, no aft pool on the Royal as well as other design issues in royal class designs. I think it's probably as right as they can get it on the Enchanted and Discovery.  

 

It would be great if they would get customer input on the design of the next generation of ships.

 

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/princess-cruises-build-two-next-generation-lng-cruise

Link to post
Share on other sites

Discovery Princess was floated out today, 18th March 2021, at Fincantieri’s shipyard in Monfalcone.

 

Interior fittings will now begin.

 

Discovery Princess

 

Discovery Princess

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...