Transferring travel insurance policies from one cruise to the next

I keep rolling over the same insurance policy from one cruise to the next due to cancellations. So far four cancelled cruises. I feel badly for the very nice gentleman who arranges insurance (he's the insurance guy from CC) changing details and numbers from one policy to the next.

But my question is, does anyone here insure the deposit only and add on the remainder of the insured sum after final payment? I was told on a different board that I can do this especially to get pre-existing, and to save $ if I change my mind on the cruise. I put the question to the insurance agent and waiting for a reply, but wonder if anyone else does it? I have one cruise each booked for 2021, 2022 and 2023.

Posted (edited)

While I've always purchased trip insurance based on the expected total non-refundable cost of my trip, I did find this Q&A on insuremytrip dot com. I can't vouch for how universal or accurate this info is:

Question:

I'd just like to be super clear. If I have to pay a cruise deposit asap - over a year before departure and the final payment either 90 or 120 days before, and plan to buy airline tix closer to the date, can I wait until then, or should I buy now and add costs as they accrue?
- TracyC, 

01/11/2021

Answer:

You can purchase most policies up until the day before departure, however; you may not be eligible for some time sensitive benefits if you do not purchase within 10-21 days of the initial trip deposit/payment. Some time sensitive benefits are, but not limited to: Pre-Existing Condition Waiver, Financial Default, Terrorism, Cancel For Any Reason and Cancel For Work Reasons. You can insure what you have paid for to date and any known costs. Once you make subsequent payments towards the trip prior to departure, such as buying airline tickets, you can contact us and update your existing policy accordingly.

Edited by Zukini

I always purchase just the deposit at first, then add when I buy airfare and again at final payment.  This gets pre-existing covereage and vendor default coverage without tying up my money longer than necessary.

When a cruise is cancelled by the cruise line, I either roll the policy onto the replacement cruise or get my money back and start over.  [NYS requires that a refund is one of the options; this may not apply to you.]

I do this through my Travel Agent, so it's part of the commission she gets.  I do feel bad about all the cancellations she has had to do in the past year [for all her clients], but that's how this business works.  I did make it up to her in part by letting her handle the travel insurance even for a couple of cruises that I had booked direct with the cruise line [at her suggestion, because her commission from them wasn't worth the work involved], and she was happy to do the insurance for me.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I always purchase just the deposit at first, then add when I buy airfare and again at final payment.  This gets pre-existing covereage and vendor default coverage without tying up my money longer than necessary.

The question in my mind is whether the pre-existing coverage winds up applying to the additional amounts you add on (the airfare, etc), or just to the original amount when you started the policy? That's the part I've never been able to get a clear answer on, so I've always taken the safe route, and insured everything up front.

Edited to add: Hey, that would have been a great question when Steve Dassos was doing the Q&A. Maybe someone on the Cruise/Travel Insurance subforum has a solid answer.

Edited by Zukini

My TA is very clear that the answer is Yes.  As long as the insurance coverage matches the liability at each stage, you are fully covered for pre-existing and vendor-default.  Maybe this isn't true of all policies, but it is for the Allianz Journey Policy she [and many TAs] sells.

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

My TA is very clear that the answer is Yes.  As long as the insurance coverage matches the liability at each stage, you are fully covered for pre-existing and vendor-default.  Maybe this isn't true of all policies, but it is for the Allianz Journey Policy she [and many TAs] sells.

Thanks, Jazzbeau. I'll have to keep that in mind for the future.

@Host Jazzbeau

I started using Steve from right here on Cruise Critic. He's been very helpful and gets me lined up with just the right company for what I want, and the prices are better than what I can get myself.. I trust him implicitly.

Just like you said I can cover deposit only, and I'll add air when that comes up- thanks so much. I've got two new cruises planned. One I have a deposit on through a TA. the other think I'll do myself. I hate to drag a TA through all of this cancel stuff even though the light at the end of the tunnel says eventually she'll get a commission. I am starting to forget what cruises I've been booked on.......

When I bought my insurance for a cruise that is about to get canceled, there was a clause that stated it could be transferred to another booking. However, I am so nervous about traveling that I am not sure that I want to rebook anything.  As things improve, I'll probably rebook. For now, this booking and rebooking loop is just getting annoying.