New CDC guidance

Porcupine 52

12 hours ago, hersheyhughes said:

Viking will not be requiring vaccines to board the ship.

I must admit to not exactly getting a warm and fuzzy feeling if that does indeed turn out to be true. So, as such then, they're apparently relying on (the assumed efficacy of) the new onboard testing facilities to manage any potential situations. I guess as the old saying goes, "the devil is in the details". 

I will be interested to see how the daily testing of passengers makes out.

Viking Ocean couldn't get some people to wash their hands before entering the World Cafe. Even with a staff member asking. How will they convince these folks to have a tube shoved up their nose every 24 hours?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Porcupine 52 said:

You see some one on the street and you look at them as a threat rather than a fellow human.  

Good point...kind of has an existential bent to it. Flip side is all the wonderful efforts that have come about to help people who have so been negatively affected by the pandemic. In our area, tons of food have been handed out by various organizations - either by in-person pick-up or else by drive-through. Of course, those handling such endeavors are certainly assuming an increased level of risk, albeit not on par with frontline health care workers and such.

But..I know exactly what you're referring to. So weird to think of places and activities that we've frequented and done for decades as having been, at least this past year, transformed into something perceived as sinister and dangerous. A paradigm shift of sorts has been in order - one that I hope doesn't linger all that much longer. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

10 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

I must admit to not exactly getting a warm and fuzzy feeling if that does indeed turn out to be true. So, as such then, they're apparently relying on (the assumed efficacy of) the new onboard testing facilities to manage any potential situations. I guess as the old saying goes, "the devil is in the details". 

Remember what has been said here many times.  "If you want a different answer, speak to a different Viking agent".  I have surely heard different stories from different folks on the phone at Viking.🍸

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

How will they convince these folks to have a tube shoved up their nose every 24 hours?

Exactly. Some will comply, some won't. Like a dress code, they can't' throw someone over the side for not following the 'suggested' guidelines. Big thing with masking is that (at least our) local authorities have responded to complaints about local merchants not enforcing it by pointing out that a 'mandate' is not a 'law'. It once again boils down, in a large way, to it all having been so politicized. 

• Like 1

Ah well...in the final analysis all this is arm-chair quarterbacking, but fun to voice opinions and thoughts, and probably cathartic in the sense that we do need to talk and speculate about it. I venture to say that humankind, generally speaking, is basically adverse to not having direct sway over their own individual situations (sheesh..more existentialism?) and so us dedicated travelers, as a whole, feel so uncomfortable and rather helpless in not having any control or input over how this (restarting cruising) situation is handled. We've all been so accustomed to just doing what we do in the way of planning and booking trips, so the events of the last year sets up a sort of dichotomy in wanting to move forward in doing the same but not sure how it's all going to be accomplished. This, of course, does not apply to all people and situations, since many here have reported continuing to travel (other than cruising) without incident. 

23 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Ah well...in the final analysis all this is arm-chair quarterbacking, but fun to voice opinions and thoughts, and probably cathartic in the sense that we do need to talk and speculate about it. I venture to say that humankind, generally speaking, is basically adverse to not having direct sway over their own individual situations (sheesh..more existentialism?) and so us dedicated travelers, as a whole, feel so uncomfortable and rather helpless in not having any control or input over how this (restarting cruising) situation is handled. We've all been so accustomed to just doing what we do in the way of planning and booking trips, so the events of the last year sets up a sort of dichotomy in wanting to move forward in doing the same but not sure how it's all going to be accomplished. This, of course, does not apply to all people and situations, since many here have reported continuing to travel (other than cruising) without incident. 

Right on.  Can I buy you a drink in Explorer's?🍸

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cienfuegos said:

How will they convince these folks to have a tube shoved up their nose every 24 hours?

Just on a side note, the Viking video I saw on the testing program indicated that it is a saliva based test, not a nasal swab. That should be less objectionable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kcpvwill said:

I would hope Viking gets us to sign that we agree to the testing and safety measures before allowing us to board.  

I would hope that by the end of the year it is no longer necessary.

• Like 1

The HEALTH and SAFETY Video provided by the Chairman does in fact indicate that the test lab on the ships are saliva tests.  He also states that the sample will be provided daily prior to any contact with anyone outside of your stateroom for the day and your results will be provided in a timely manner.  I for one am very anxious and ready to provide the tests in that manner, especially if Viking is doing everything in their power to keep their customers and crew safe.  Just my two cents worth.  Thank you.

• Like 1

Interestingly here in the UK, I completed a 10 minute survey yesterday from Viking enquiring about our attitude to travelling with Viking depending on whether they insisted on vaccines for all passengers and/or crew. Whether they insisted on daily testing for all passengers and/or crew. They also said they will be running some focus groups with past/future passengers to explore this further.

However, there continues to be radio silence on the plans for excursions. Unless we can explore a port on our own, or at least not get kicked off a cruise for lagging too far behind on a walking voxbox tour then I think we will continue to push future cruises back and spend more time exploring the UK and Ireland by car.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lackcreativity said:

Just on a side note, the Viking video I saw on the testing program indicated that it is a saliva based test, not a nasal swab. That should be less objectionable.

Thank you. If that's how they handle it, they may get more buy-in from travelers.

1 hour ago, NeilP57 said:

Interestingly here in the UK, I completed a 10 minute survey yesterday from Viking enquiring about our attitude to travelling with Viking depending on whether they insisted on vaccines for all passengers and/or crew. Whether they insisted on daily testing for all passengers and/or crew. They also said they will be running some focus groups with past/future passengers to explore this further.

However, there continues to be radio silence on the plans for excursions. Unless we can explore a port on our own, or at least not get kicked off a cruise for lagging too far behind on a walking voxbox tour then I think we will continue to push future cruises back and spend more time exploring the UK and Ireland by car.

Visit Tantallon Castle near North Berwick. Approach from the west at dawn. Heartstopping!

9 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Visit Tantallon Castle near North Berwick. Approach from the west at dawn. Heartstopping!

Been to the region a number of times but some reason I keep getting distracted by the fantastic golf course at North Berwick rather than the nearby castle. Both have great views of Bass Rock though!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

Have been there twice!  It is awesome, with cliffs dropping sharply to the sea.  Add it to a tour of the area.  Include Rosslyn Chapel, the Seabird Center, and, of course, a couple of distilleries (get a car and driver).  We had a great day doing that.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, shank63 said:

Cruising on a ship with 100% of the crew and passengers vaccinated and daily saliva covid testing seems pretty darn safe to me.  Common sense practice of masking and social distancing in airports and flights has been in practice for months with little or no risk, in fact we have flown in the US and the Caribbean with no problems.  The same common sense practice must be mandated in ports and excursions in other countries, especially masking.  Given these practices and continuing vaccinations the risk of cruising is decreasing monthly.  Everyone has their own level of risk tolerance but for many of us, we are getting real close to an acceptable level of risk.  For others, wait until you are comfortable.

And just in case the virus sneaks past the vaccine, there is now backup:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/eli-lilly-antibody-therapy-covid-19

45 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Have been there twice!  It is awesome, with cliffs dropping sharply to the sea.  Add it to a tour of the area.  Include Rosslyn Chapel, the Seabird Center, and, of course, a couple of distilleries (get a car and driver).  We had a great day doing that.

Also had the National Museum of Flight, which has a Concord and the coast has numerous great golf courses, including Muirfield, which is one of the host courses for "The Open"

• Like 1

My dear departed mother claimed we were part of the clan that built Tantallon.  Douglas, I believe.  That’s the non-pirate side of the family 🙂

I somewhat believe her, as when I was a mere lad of 27, I dropped into North Berwick to see the castle, at my mother’s insistence.  As I was vagabonding about Europe in those days, I had only my old suitcase with me, no car.  I came in to town on the last train of the evening.  So last that the train engineer got off when I did 🙂  I asked him where I might find a hotel, but he said it was “after the season” and didn’t know of any.  He said to try down by the sea.

So, I wandered down to the sea edge of town and started walking.  Finally saw a grand old mansion with a couple of lights on, and a small sign indicating it was an inn of some kind.  So rang the bell.  The lady said they were closed for the season, but that I was unlikely to find anything so she invited me in.  I just have one of those lovable faces... Right Jim?  She asked if I had had dinner and I said no.  She showed me into the ocean front sitting room and said she would rustle me up something.

A few minutes later an elderly woman carrying a tray came in and set a huge plate of pot roast with veg and gravy in front of me.  And she looked exactly, and I mean exactly, like my grandmother in Oklahoma!  She and her daughter sat with me while I ate and told stories of the area, etc.  And I told them what my mother had told me, and how much they looked like my grandmother.  We all got a laugh out of the whole thing 🙂  Next day I lit out for Tantallon.  Had the entire place to myself!  Super nice people in North Berwick!

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

OH yeah...just name the ship, date, and time....not a WC cruise though...too long for me. 😉

Will you both be wearing masks and socially distancing 😉

Oh and get tested before you meet.

On 3/10/2021 at 9:15 AM, Cienfuegos said:

I will be interested to see how the daily testing of passengers makes out.

Viking Ocean couldn't get some people to wash their hands before entering the World Cafe. Even with a staff member asking. How will they convince these folks to have a tube shoved up their nose every 24 hours?

I thought the testing done on the ship will be via saliva as opposed to the nasal swab?