Local Cruises

Ataraxia

58 minutes ago, Beckett said:

As for the jabbing - I've given up. To my shame I have, embarrasingly,  had a mini, but very polite, breakdown. I think that working full-time as PM, and doing weekends at the hub, came crashing down on me. I thought I could do it all but it seems I can't. I'm taking a couple of weeks off and will use that time for reflection. I'm 66 in August and could officially retire then. Not sure if that's what I want so some thinking time is necessary. Before the pandemic I used to do voluntary work at our local hospice so I may explore the possibility of part-time work and a couple of voluntary sessions back there. As you well know Kalos, health is all, so I think it's time for some serious thinking

Oh God, another long, boring, and introspective post from me. I'll have you all running for therapy when you read this.

Hi Jane. I think you are being really sensible in recognising that you’ve overdone things and that it’s time to think about how you plan what you want to do in the future..

Soon you will be able to see all your family, friends and gorgeous grandchildren, give them all hugs and talk. The way forward will then become a lot clearer. Don’t rush your decision......

Sending hugs.

Gill x

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Beckett said:

He definitely belongs in the Dim and Dimmer section Kalos; and I don't think "can" and "do" are 2 words, that beyond his wildest imaginings, could ever be put together.

As for the jabbing - I've given up. To my shame I have, embarrasingly,  had a mini, but very polite, breakdown. I think that working full-time as PM, and doing weekends at the hub, came crashing down on me. I thought I could do it all but it seems I can't. I'm taking a couple of weeks off and will use that time for reflection. I'm 66 in August and could officially retire then. Not sure if that's what I want so some thinking time is necessary. Before the pandemic I used to do voluntary work at our local hospice so I may explore the possibility of part-time work and a couple of voluntary sessions back there. As you well know Kalos, health is all, so I think it's time for some serious thinking

Oh God, another long, boring, and introspective post from me. I'll have you all running for therapy when you read this.

You and Mrs Kalos look after yourselves and keep well. Best wishes. Jane.x 

What shame and embarrassment ??  You can get those two words out of your head 

for starters !  You have done us proud ,you gave your best  and we could have not asked

for better from you and any of the other jabbers ,well done to you all.

The most important thing in your life is YOU   If you don't take care of yourself ,then you 

will not be of much use to others . As you say I am too aware of what can happen and 

if your body/mind is saying rest then please listen to it. You have gave years of caring 

service and you may decide to give another year or so and if you decide not to then that's

fine too, you owe no one nothing you have done your bit . If you decide to retire then I wish 

you all the best ,you have earned  it . Should you get bored there is plenty as you say you

could do again. Your doing the right thing taking time out to clear your head and remember 

We are proud of what you and many others have done for us all.

Best wishes ,take care 

Mr & Mrs Kalos  :classic_love:

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

He did Sue. His actual words were " that's above my pay grade - about ten floors above". I guess that if these guys and girls are all working from home, no-one will hear what they say. At least he was honest! J.x

To my knowledge Cunard have not given out any info regarding pre registration but my TA is taking pre registrations for P&O.

• Like 1

My partner was only 57 when he died in 2012 and so didn't get to enjoy any of the retirement that he had worked hard for and had carefully planned and saved for. Consequently, when I was able to rejig my life 5½ years ago and stop work at the age of 55, I did. I don't regret it for a minute.

• Like 18

14 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

Cat among etc!

It is under step 3 that domestic cruises will be permitted to restart in England, step 3 will occur no earlier then 17th May

The resumption of cruise travel will commence at the same time as the re-opening of the indoor and hospitality sectors. Just like for indoor venues there will be a limit on passenger capacity,this will be 1000 people or 50% whichever is lower.

As per the Covid-19 Guidence, groups of more then 6 people or two households will not be allowed to mix indoors.

Received from the Department of Transport in reply to a few questions that I put to Robert Courts MP

Note the restart is England not GB

1000 People will be less when staff numbers are considered

Group of 6 must be of concern.

This needs to be played over the tannoy at the station! In the office!

Well, I don't know how many people expect these cruises to start in the second half of May but I doubt it is many. I don't expect them to start until late June at the earliest, possibly even July or August, by which time most of the restrictions are due to be lifted, according to the Govt.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Sorry to hear you are having a hard time Jane, it is good you can get it off your chest here especially as a lot of us are similar ages and in the same boat (if only😁). Covid has taken its toll and will make a lot of people think and do things differently. I can vouch for retirement, we have just started our fourth year and love it, albeit mrs YP said I wouldn't last 3 months. It is surprising how you can fill the day and do things at a leisurely pace. Not waking up at 2 in the morning and mulling over work problems, not getting up at silly o'clock and shovelling snow off the drive, trying to squeeze your social life into 2 days to name but a few issues. There is always plenty of voluntary work which is very rewarding and not as tying. Whatever you choose I wish you the best of luck.

Great post Phil.

2 hours ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Hi Jane hope you’re ok? And absolutely agree that  as you get older health has to be our priority now so please look after yourself and do what’s right for you. 2019 we decided to retire and enjoy ourselves but the pandemic hit then I had my fourth cancer diagnosis in  the last ten years so you never really know what life has in store for us, do what’s right for you, and thanks for your amazing work within the NHS. Lindy

Oh Lindy I'm so sorry to hear this.

Take care and I pray you will be okay from your health issues.

Best wishes.

Love Graham x. 

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Oh Lindy I'm so sorry to hear this.

Take care and I pray you will be okay from your health issues.

Best wishes.

Love Graham x. 

Thanks Graham it’s kept me going reading all the posts on here and all the lovely caring people who give love and support to everyone else who are struggling 🤗happy birthday to Pauline.

Lindy x

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

I also took early retirement at 50, that was also 25 years ago but I did get a part time job until I reached 65.

I did a job share which gave me plenty of time off to travel, we just had to cover for each other, my job partner was younger and took school time holidays which suited me.

Our world changed 18 months ago when our only Son died suddenly aged 47.

He had a very high powered job and was planning to wind it down in his 50s, sadly that was not to be.

My point is that there is more to life than work and given the chance to retire before getting to old to enjoy it take it.

His early death really brought that home to me, we have not travelled since partly due to covid and partly due to home circumstances with family.

Really sorry to hear about your son Eric.

I hope your grandson is a lot better now.

I have been Semi retired 1-2 days a week for several years.

2 of my customers died before Christmas and it certainly puts things into focus.

Graham.

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

They’ve all got good jobs and are saving to buy their own properties. If I want to pay their cruise fares, then that’s my business. We’re a close family and my parents too like to pay for things. My parents and grandparents helped us on our way, and I’ll do the same for my children. It’s what we do around here. 

It’s what we do here too Ardennais.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, wowzz said:

I said the same as you, so I think you are being picked on

For the life of me, I cannot understand why any 23 year old would cruise with P&O,  unless they had relatives on board.  I mean, you are only young once, and when you are young, you don't want to be on P&O.  

Well no, like I said I wasn’t going to repeat myself. She was the first person to comment. Same goes for you. 

Your comment about my age and our choice of holidays is just rude. Not every 23 year old thinks the same. Just because we are young doesn’t mean we don’t enjoy P&O. Our lives are mad busy normally so we like to relax and take

time On our holidays and P&O provide us with that at a very good price. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Beckett said:

He did Sue. His actual words were " that's above my pay grade - about ten floors above". I guess that if these guys and girls are all working from home, no-one will hear what they say. At least he was honest! J.x

Hopefully P&O record all telephone calls and randomly check calls.  I know that Princess do because I had an apologetic phone call from a customer service manager after I had the misfortune to get the only rude Princess customer service person that I have ever spoken to who told me that customers asking stupid questions ruined her work life and then put the phone down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Hopefully P&O record all telephone calls and randomly check calls.  I know that Princess do because I had an apologetic phone call from a customer service manager after I had the misfortune to get the only rude Princess customer service person that I have ever spoken to who told me that customers asking stupid questions ruined her work life and then put the phone down.

As a fan of P&O, can I make a minor correction? Beckett said her negative experience was with Cunard and not P&O. Sorry if you think I am being a bit pedantic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pete14 said:

As a fan of P&O, can I make a minor correction? Beckett said her negative experience was with Cunard and not P&O. Sorry if you think I am being a bit pedantic.

Same staff so probably same person that Beckett spoke to also answers calls for P&O. Many of the staff work for Cunard or P&O they are employed by Carnival UK

• Like 2

On 3/9/2021 at 8:32 PM, jeanlyon said:

Thank you Jane.

that Saga cruise, even if you put all those extras in, it's still mega expensive.  It depends on what you want.  I don't want a chauffeur, or specialty restuarants.  Grats are gone on P&O.  We pay around £80 per night approx for our cruises as we book early.  Nothing would make me pay over £200 per night.

Our cruise in October was £1350 for 19 nights. 

The other factor is all drinks and an all-balcony ship.  When I have costed them out it is cheaper than P&O like-for-

like.

1 hour ago, Host Sharon said:

The other factor is all drinks and an all-balcony ship.  When I have costed them out it is cheaper than P&O like-for-

like.

Whilst tips are inclusive with Saga the chauffer service I personally think it sounds better than actually be for most. If you live within 75miles you get a private chauffer service and if above you get shared so you could be picked up first and be going anywhere for the other pick ups before you get to Southampton. They will instead change it for complimentary parking near the port which I think I would prefer.

The local paper says Azura is still parked up on the Tyne, be marvellous if they did some round Britain cruises on her from Newcastle would save all us northerners and Scots having to schlep all the way down to Southampton. I think they'd sell out no bother. 🙏🤞🤞

Edited by 2BACRUISER
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Whilst tips are inclusive with Saga the chauffer service I personally think it sounds better than actually be for most. If you live within 75miles you get a private chauffer service and if above you get shared so you could be picked up first and be going anywhere for the other pick ups before you get to Southampton. They will instead change it for complimentary parking near the port which I think I would prefer.

At present, the shared pickups have been suspended,  as an anti CV19  precaution. And even when there was a shared pickup, there was only ever one other stop, so not a major issue.