CDC still advises vs non-essential trvl even if vaccinated

17 minutes ago, baldilocks said:

A new report stated Pfizer vaccine is very effective against the SA strain.

Do you have a link to the article?

Depends upon which SA you are talking about  

SA as in South American (Brazilian) Variant 

Or 

SA as in the South African Variant

There is a recent article talking about the Brazilian variant that used SA in the title. That indicated that it is effective against that strain. But SA in that case meant South American - Brazilian variant. the South African variant

https://www.voanews.com/covid-19-pandemic/study-reveals-pfizer-biontech-vaccine-less-effective-against-south-african

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/17/pfizer-says-south-african-variant-could-significantly-reduce-vaccine-protection.html

The actual studies that yield the most information is one in the New England Journal of Medicine and one to be published soon in Nature.

Which is why

https://www.barrons.com/articles/pfizer-will-test-third-dose-of-vaccine-to-protect-against-variants-51614206560

The vaccine will have some efficacy but it is expected to be lower (some vaccine resistance) than against other strains.

18 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

There's no evidence that suggest that I could transmit any of the strains to anyone else because at best I would only have very low viral loads.  We are never going to eradicate this virus from the face of the earth, there will always be different variants in other parts of the country or world.   You are as safe today with the vaccines as you will ever be.   It's time to allow those vaccinated people to resume their lives.

The latest from Pfizer and BioNTech on vaccines preventing transmission (from the Israel data of vaccinated population).  Looks promising.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-pfizer-israel/pfizer-biontech-say-covid-19-vaccine-likely-to-prevent-asymptomatic-infection-idUSKBN2B31IJ

3 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

The latest from Pfizer and BioNTech on vaccines preventing transmission (from the Israel data of vaccinated population).  Looks promising.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-pfizer-israel/pfizer-biontech-say-covid-19-vaccine-likely-to-prevent-asymptomatic-infection-idUSKBN2B31IJ

Yep, time to reopen the world to vaccinated people.

This thread has gone sideways.  Sorry but iPee makes some good points.  We will need to live with the virus for years in a vaccinated world.  Get on with our lives.  The only question is WHEN?  and the only answer is NOT NOW BUT VERY SOON.  My opinion.  Fire away.

Posted (edited)

This week a group of 30 travel organizations issued a letter to the White House to urge supporting the creation of a temporary health passport utilizing standardized government backed credentials for travel. In their letter they also say that vaccines should not be a permanent requirement for domestic and international travel but a temporary solution is required to safely restore travel. 

One of the groups included was the US Travel Association which RCG and Carnival belong but the full list of the organizations included isn't provided. 

Edited by paulh84
44 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

This thread has gone sideways.  Sorry but iPee makes some good points.  We will need to live with the virus for years in a vaccinated world.  Get on with our lives.  The only question is WHEN?  and the only answer is NOT NOW BUT VERY SOON.  My opinion.  Fire away.

You're a very wise man.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I expect the CDC will change the recommendation for non-essential domestic travel for those vaccinated sometime in the next 4 to 8 weeks if vaccine supply and infections trend as expected.

International travel will depend upon a number of conditions and will probably be by country/region and will take longer. I do expect because of variants that tests will continue to be required, even for those vaccinated for those returning from international trips throughout 2021.

I also expect masks will continue to be required on air craft for several months.

Edited by nocl
3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Let's have a glass of pinot noir and talk about this.

Now, the UK  has said cruising within the UK can start May 17th. The U.S. is starting to loo stupid with all the other countries starting on, at least, a limited basis.

2 hours ago, deliver42 said:

Now, the UK  has said cruising within the UK can start May 17th. The U.S. is starting to loo stupid with all the other countries starting on, at least, a limited basis.

Except the UK cruises are only for UK citizens and will only call at UK ports.

Not sure if it will only be for the UK registered lines like P&O and Cunard (might also include Princess Since if I recall correctly they were part of P&O when CCL acquired them).   The acquisition I believe required CCL to keep a UK corporate entity.

The US does have some cruise going solely within the US on small US registered ships.

Unfortunately the large ships are not US registered and would not qualify for solely inside US cruising like the UK is doing.

8 hours ago, nocl said:

I expect the CDC will change the recommendation for non-essential domestic travel for those vaccinated sometime in the next 4 to 8 weeks if vaccine supply and infections trend as expected.

International travel will depend upon a number of conditions and will probably be by country/region and will take longer. I do expect because of variants that tests will continue to be required, even for those vaccinated for those returning from international trips throughout 2021.

I also expect masks will continue to be required on air craft for several months.

Hope you are right!  Have domestic travel plans late July and August.

On 3/10/2021 at 6:50 PM, nocl said:

Also the issue is not individual safety, but community safety.  It is to reduce the threat level posed by COVID-19.  That means reducing the opportunity of the virus to self select by reducing mutation opportunities.  It means slowing progression of existing vaccine resistant strains, until boosters can catch up, while at the same time reducing the number of new mutations by reducing the number of infections.

Thank you for stating this so nicely.

Some people are missing the point. This is global. We have to worry about each other... Not only "me".    

As much as we all want to return to normal, we can't drop the ball. We need to hang in there a little bit longer until a lot more people are vaccinated.

As much as I want to travel and cruise....it's not essential.  

12 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

Thank you for stating this so nicely.

Some people are missing the point. This is global. We have to worry about each other... Not only "me".    

As much as we all want to return to normal, we can't drop the ball. We need to hang in there a little bit longer until a lot more people are vaccinated.

As much as I want to travel and cruise....it's not essential.  

The only part you are missing is that fully vaccinated people don't pose a significant threat to anyone.   The risk will never be zero.  We need to start living with this virus.  It's time the guidance from government catches up with this fact.  Fully vaccinated should resume their normal lives and stop this silly exercise of trying to determine what's essential what isn't.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

The only part you are missing is that fully vaccinated people don't pose a significant threat to anyone.   The risk will never be zero.  We need to start living with this virus.  It's time the guidance from government catches up with this fact.  Fully vaccinated should resume their normal lives and stop this silly exercise of trying to determine what's essential what isn't.  

Most fully vaccinated do not.

Even from the Israeli data about 4-5% might. 

The Israeli data did not deal with all of the variants.

You also do not want to expose those vaccinated to infected individuals and help the virus self select for vaccine resistance.

Until much more of the US population is vaccinated and infection numbers greatly reduced other protections are still needed.

Edited by nocl
Posted (edited)

Widespread cruising by maybe Autumn is my guess. I’m fairly optimistic our Asian cruise next February will go ahead but even that’s far from certain. Put it this way, we would normally have all our flight and Hotels with none refundable rates already booked. All we have this time is two hotels for a night each, both with full cancellation and nothing paid up front. We only booked those because they are close to half the price they were for this Feb when we were supposed to cruise. Nothing is guaranteed in my view.

Edited by yorky
On 3/11/2021 at 12:06 PM, Spif Barwunkel said:

Let's have a glass of pinot noir and talk about this.

I want to know when all of us “Covid vets” are going to end up on the same cruise together and actually meet IRL.

As I posted on the" How Are Things Where You Are Thread"

Update on NY:

NY gov has lifted the requirement for quarantine..after DOMESTIC  travel into NY..effective end of March. Means no pre and post travel testing as well.

There are no longer any Celebrity cruises from NY but other lines  still do.  This may overall  benefit cruises from NJ/Bayonne if that state follows suit,   and many do fly into NY to get to Bayonne, Port Liberty.

All up to CDC...but perhaps science will sway them if more are vaccinated and fewer are getting sick!

21 hours ago, deliver42 said:

LOL we’ve looked stupid most of this entire time with our bullheaded refusal to wear masks and follow simple safety measures. The UK hasn’t done great compared to some other countries, but we, quite frankly, suck at following recommendations? Orders? Whatever you want to call it.

5 hours ago, nocl said:

Until much more of the US population is vaccinated and infection numbers greatly reduced other protections are still needed.

Bookmark this thread and let's come back to it whenever the government realizes it needs to reopen and find ways to live with virus.  You will see that we won't know much more than we do today and we won't reach the theoretical targets for vaccinating enough of the population to have herd immunity.  All that we are doing by not allowing people who have been vaccinated to resume their normal lives is to further hurt those people and to continue to damage the economy.  It's time to allow vaccinated people to resume their lives, they are not a significant risk, it's just silly not to allow those people to resume their lives.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Bookmark this thread and let's come back to it whenever the government realizes it needs to reopen and find ways to live with virus.  You will see that we won't know much more than we do today and we won't reach the theoretical targets for vaccinating enough of the population to have herd immunity.  All that we are doing by not allowing people who have been vaccinated to resume their normal lives is to further hurt those people and to continue to damage the economy.  It's time to allow vaccinated people to resume their lives, they are not a significant risk, it's just silly not to allow those people to resume their lives.

I will make you the following wager whenever the CDC changes its recommendations for domestic travel for those vaccinated, we have vaccinated substantially more people, and the number of new cases will be substantially lower.  Which is exactly what I said above.

I said nothing about herd immunity nor theoretical targets.  Only that more vaccinations are needed and the infection rate need to come down.

Probably around 4 to 8 weeks from now.

Edited by nocl
5 minutes ago, nocl said:

I will make you the following wager whenever the CDC changes its recommendations for domestic travel for those vaccinated, we have vaccinated substantially more people, and the number of new cases will be substantially lower.  Which is exactly what I said above.

I said nothing about herd immunity nor theoretical targets.  Only that more vaccinations are needed and the infection rate need to come down.

Probably around 4 to 8 weeks from now.

There may be at least a third of the country that won't get vaccinated, I think that will diminish your hope that you will see dramatic changes in infection.  We need to find other ways to live with the virus.  You're saying another 4 to 8 weeks, Biden just told us if everything goes well, we might be able to have small outdoor parties on the Fourth of July.  I find that very disappointing, if that's all that the Federal government expects.  Vaccinated people deserve much more freedom.

29 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

There may be at least a third of the country that won't get vaccinated, I think that will diminish your hope that you will see dramatic changes in infection.  We need to find other ways to live with the virus.  You're saying another 4 to 8 weeks, Biden just told us if everything goes well, we might be able to have small outdoor parties on the Fourth of July.  I find that very disappointing, if that's all that the Federal government expects.  Vaccinated people deserve much more freedom.

What is wrong with taking small steps to get back our "normal"?  Small outdoor party, if it is possible, seems much better than no outdoor party.

25 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Is he the one telling us to "follow the science" when the science says all the schools are safe to open but he follows the teacher's union?  It's all about power and how bureaucrats wield it.  I don't believe a thing that comes out of their mouths -- it's all political.  

The CDC says the schools can open, and they stay closed.  I wonder if the CDC says it's safe to cruise and all the cruise ships stay docked.  From all the evidence, that seems to be the way we are going.