A year since we where able to cruise, How are you doing??

This time last year I was exploring Okinawa Island. I'm not in a particular hurry to get on a cruise but I would love an international trip. I usually do one a year and I am itching to get beyond our borders😜. As it stands I'm planning a road trip around QLD for winter as long as state borders don't start shutting again. 

• Like 1

Our last  cruise was on Pacific Dawn in 2019. She was returning to Brisbane from Singapore after a refit (her last ever?) via Darwin (which we had never visited before) and Komodo Island . We had sailed on her a few times out of Brisbane and always liked her. We thought that after this refit she looked better than she ever had - finally all new "grass" on the upper decks 🙂  Most of the older ships we have been on are now gone forever - but somehow the thought of PD gone hurts the most. We have had 8 international cruises with Cunard , around- the -World with P&O UK , several on the big RCL monsters - but the inaugural visit to PNG on PD will possibly be the most memorable for us. Although trying to compare cruises is like comparing children - impossible 🙂  

• Like 1

My last cruise was January 2020.  Norwegian Jewel.  SYD-AKL.  It was at the time of the Australian wildfires and halfway across the Tasman the sky was obscured by an ochre haze.  The lights were on by the pool in the middle of the day.  It was eery and still, like a scene from a dystopian movie.  Then we got home and the pandemic had its effect.  Dystopian indeed.

We were booked In Jan 2021 for a cruise from SYD up to the Islands and back but we did a lift 'n' shift to Jan 2022.  I am not confident that this will happen though.  Maybe 2023.  In the meantime I'm rather enjoying Fortress NZ.  We went away for a weekend in Napier and enjoyed a Wine Club Day at Craggy Range.  It was lots of fun.

I took a friend and her two teenage daughters on their first cruise on the 1st March, 2020. We sailed 10 nights on the Carnival Splendor, had a couple of stops changed but had a fabulous time. We got off on the 11th March with the dreaded cruise lurgy and didn't truly understand why people were looking sideways at us in Sydney airport until we listened to some news in the car, driving from Adelaide towards home later that day.

I rang the boss and he peaked, he told me I could not come back to work until I had a negative Covid test as everything was just shutting down and no-one was allowed to enter our institution if they were sick. It took 3 days for the results to come back, which ran into my next run of days off so I got an extra holiday (tested negative) but I was really quite sick so grateful for the extra recovery time.

My only cruise since then has been a 3 hour bay cruise at the end of January on the tall ship, "One and All" and it rained the entire time we were onboard! We got drenched but still had lots of fun.

I am definitely suffering CSA, I have 2 booked but not a lot of confidence in either - early August to PNG and the Solomon Islands and April 2022 to Alaska. 

3 hours ago, LincolnLegend said:

I am definitely suffering CSA, I have 2 booked but not a lot of confidence in either - early August to PNG and the Solomon Islands and April 2022 to Alaska. 

COVID-19 is becoming a problem in PNG. The rich nations need to send vaccines quickly to the developing countries, if we want International travel to re-start.

16 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

COVID-19 is becoming a problem in PNG. The rich nations need to send vaccines quickly to the developing countries, if we want International travel to re-start.

Yes people with covid in Cairns Hospital are from PNG.  That was the reported aim by Australia originally, but they don't seem to have enough supplies yet.  Maybe when they ramp up production in Australia, the Govt may be able to urgently share vaccine.  

Last cruise was quite a while ago Dec 2018 - 14 nights to PNG & FNQ.  Our planned Alaska cruise for August last year was obviously cancelled.  Only holiday we have had since Covid started was 7 days at a holiday house 1 hour north of Sydney.  Had no power for the first 24hrs and rain most of our stay.  At least i caught up on my reading.  Like others, we have spent money on major home renovations and replacing kitchen and laundry appliances.  Daughter had planned to leave state for the first time since Covid this month to surprise a friend in WA for his birthday.  With today's news that now looks seriously to be in doubt. Still i am glad we can now go the movies, eat out at the rsl etc and go to events like Monet live which i went to today in Sydney and hubby is still able to work from home rather than commute to the CBD 5 days a week, so while i miss cruising alot, i am thankful for what we can do.

15 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes people with covid in Cairns Hospital are from PNG.  That was the reported aim by Australia originally, but they don't seem to have enough supplies yet.  Maybe when they ramp up production in Australia, the Govt may be able to urgently share vaccine.  

I dont see why PNG Govt cannot use some of that load of foreign aid money they get from Australia etc. and buy their own covid vaccine. No, they like to buy big cars for their Ministers and the like. Who is paying the medical bills for these png people in Cairns Base Hospital? Let me guess, 🇦🇺

23 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Who is paying the medical bills for these png people in Cairns Base Hospital? Let me guess, 🇦🇺

Aren't they FIFO workers in Cairns Hospital? If so, most likely Australians Les.

Leigh

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Aren't they FIFO workers in Cairns Hospital? If so, most likely Australians Les.

Leigh

Ok, sorry, withdraw my comment re cairns hosp. Have a good day.

Yesterday, went out with extended family to a hotel for lunch.... it was a odd feeling, as our last meal in similar surrounding was on the Golden Princess MDR in Dec 2019....   

We are living in a change world  and now the hope of vaccination seams to be going the way of cruising...... the dangled carrot... light at the end of a rather long tunnel...

One day we will look back and wonder......   But for the mean time... one thinks what next.  ( an invasion of garden gnomes )   ....  maybe time not to read the news anymore...... 

Don sitting in lounge with coffee

23 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Yesterday, went out with extended family to a hotel for lunch.... it was a odd feeling, as our last meal in similar surrounding was on the Golden Princess MDR in Dec 2019....   

We are living in a change world  and now the hope of vaccination seams to be going the way of cruising...... the dangled carrot... light at the end of a rather long tunnel...

One day we will look back and wonder......   But for the mean time... one thinks what next.  ( an invasion of garden gnomes )   ....  maybe time not to read the news anymore...... 

Don sitting in lounge with coffee

I feel for you, Don.  Did I read that the wonderful place where you stayed has been sold?

I wonder if we will ever get used to this changing world.  We are a family of travellers, who still think we'll visit one of the other States to attend something.  Then we remember, oh no, we can't just hop on a plane for a short trip at short notice, if certainty is required. This is the time for car trips.

Sunday was Mothering Sunday in the UK and I miss my friends and trips to London.  My last cruise was from Tromso, Norway to Oban, Scotland.  Then train to Glasgow and London.  I also miss the research and planning of travel.  Most of my overseas trips involved a cruise and land travel. 

We are lucky there are many beautiful places to visit in Queensland.  

9 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I feel for you, Don.  Did I read that the wonderful place where you stayed has been sold?

I wonder if we will ever get used to this changing world.  We are a family of travellers, who still think we'll visit one of the other States to attend something.  Then we remember, oh no, we can't just hop on a plane for a short trip at short notice, if certainty is required. This is the time for car trips.

Thank you for your thoughts.Marion.. Yes planning travel... a couple of cruises a year,  along some road trips....  it is not the same having nothing really planned...

Biggest blow was BH big birthday in a week.... others ones have been a grand affair, which she has enjoyed... i have enjoyed the planning.... but this one will be a dinner at home.... the places wanted to go all seamed booked out this month..

So planning dinner with Lobster, Oysters and Prawns, with some very nice Sparkling by candle light ( of course )... which I am sure she will enjoy..

I am thinking to a sort of belated birthday surprise holiday in a few months it things go ok.......

Don

On 3/10/2021 at 3:31 PM, Ondine said:

Yes I have cruise separation anxiety.

This time last year (10th March) I was in Dunedin on the Carnival Spirit on our way home from a lovely visit to beautiful NZ.  It was raining and we were in the terminal ringing Melbourne asking my daughter to get me some supplies after seeing the crazy scenes on the TV of what was happening in the supermarkets. We couldn't believe what had happened since sailing.  The world had gone mad.

Day or two later we passed Ruby Princess in Milford Sound and a day after that Golden Princess on her way to NZ saying how we were looking forward to being on her 13 days later to go to Port Douglas.  It didn't happen - damn.  We got home on 14th March.

7 cruises cancelled also but have booked another 7.  Eternal optimist.

Yes Online, I was on that cruise also.

Yes we where getting news from all round the world about what was happening. The people of New Zealand where fantastic, nothing major seemed to be happening. They where fantastic in, Dunedin, Akaroa, Napier. 

The staff on board manning all the stations at Buffet & food areas, & Entertainment areas.

This was my first time to Nz, but my 20th cruise with Carnival.

Yes it was Eerie coming back to Melbourne on The 14th  the bits of rain & the cold wind, reminded me of the same day of The Newcastle earthquake..

I was surprised that the next 2 nighter back to Sydney went ahead. As a P&O cruise in Brisbane was cancelled on this Saturday. 

Carnival where wonderful as our 3rd leg of a B2B2B was cancelled on the Monday, they gave us free internet for the 2 nights, to organise anything we needed. (We live in Sydney area). Plus $150 obc, so had free drinks. 

Have had 3 cancell, just sitting now on these FCC. Until we cruise again.

#WEWILLBEBACK.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hunter69 said:

Yes it was Eerie coming back to Melbourne on The 14th  the bits of rain & the cold wind, reminded me of the same day of The Newcastle earthquake..

I remember the day of the earthquake as being warm and sunny. My wife was at the beach with the kids at the time.

8 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Thank you for your thoughts.Marion.. Yes planning travel... a couple of cruises a year,  along some road trips....  it is not the same having nothing really planned...

Biggest blow was BH big birthday in a week.... others ones have been a grand affair, which she has enjoyed... i have enjoyed the planning.... but this one will be a dinner at home.... the places wanted to go all seamed booked out this month..

So planning dinner with Lobster, Oysters and Prawns, with some very nice Sparkling by candle light ( of course )... which I am sure she will enjoy..

I am thinking to a sort of belated birthday surprise holiday in a few months it things go ok.......

Don

Dont forget the G and T and the Jacobs Creek Riesling, Don.

8 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Don

Dinner with lobster oysters and prawns sounds special.  With Sparkling wine and candle light what more could you want!  A belated birthday surprise holiday in a few months will be the icing on the cake.  Enjoy, Don!

5 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I remember the day of the earthquake as being warm and sunny. My wife was at the beach with the kids at the time.

Afternoon became cloudy & this eerie southerly wind. I lived in Darby st. So I went for a surf at Newcastle beach. It was very quite & this southerly breeze made it choppy. It was like there was a whole lot less people around in the world. Or there was more important things in life. I was only 20 at the time & a very regular at Newy Workers...

15 hours ago, Hunter69 said:

Afternoon became cloudy & this eerie southerly wind. I lived in Darby st. So I went for a surf at Newcastle beach. It was very quite & this southerly breeze made it choppy. It was like there was a whole lot less people around in the world. Or there was more important things in life. I was only 20 at the time & a very regular at Newy Workers...

I was working at Kotara Fair at the time. My wife, being a teacher, was on school holidays with the kids on Blacksmiths Beach.

The downstairs part of the Workers Club was where my wife and I went to a disco for our first date. Memories.

• Like 1

Yes down stairs at workers club wonderful. The best bands & music. Then if you wanted you could continue on at the 50/50 upstairs.

It was the go to place, I grew up in my teenage years in the 80's on Darby St. 

So Workers, Castle Fanny's where the go to places...

Last cruise was Jan 2020. NZ in Radiance of the Seas, at the time we had a stack more booked, including an Easter get away with the kids, and a circumnavigation of Aus on Royal Caribbean.

Since then a quick Road trip to Lismore after Mrs G’s dad had “a massive heart attack and won;t last the night” he went home four days later and is recovering well.

I suspect that cruise last year may be our last, but hope springs eternal.

‘Meanwhile I have doctors by the dozen trying to work out what, if anything, they can do to just keep me rolling along.

This time last year we where on Solstice in the middle of the Tasman Sea with the bow pointed at Sydney and a lot of worried passengers hoping we would be let in and allowed to disembark.