Jump to content

Cat amongst the Pigeons?


Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, zap99 said:

With the last couple of annual insurance policies we have purchased, cruise cover was an optional add on.

Good point Zap - we tick to box say that we are on a cruise, but do not buy the additional cruise cover.

It's not clear if the additonal cover is required or not by P&O.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I wonder how many people have hunted their insurance policies out to check? I have. It reminds me of when we first started cruising in the 90's someone mentioned cruise cover and we didn't have a clue what they were talking about at the time, I went back to the travel agent and asked why they hadn't mentioned it when we booked. Since then we have met lots of people on cruises who were not aware they needed cruise cover.

Most policies include cruise cover.Our bank travel insurance covers us for cruises(We have phoned to check even though its not in writing) but a few years ag some companies brought out an extra 'cruise cover' to pay out for missed ports or confinment to cabin.Not sure whether the extra cover is needed or just that the insurance covers cruises as well as other holidays.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, yorkshirephil said:

It will only be a matter of time before a cruise line has a ski slope.

Perhaps they have got time to build one on Avril. If not Royal Caribbean might. It's a good idea, after all they do have ice skating rinks and flowriders. Come on P&O, get with the programme 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

Perhaps they have got time to build one on Avril. If not Royal Caribbean might. It's a good idea, after all they do have ice skating rinks and flowriders. Come on P&O, get with the programme 🤣

If they do zap it won't be much use, I'm ony 5' 2''. 😄

Avril

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have travel insurance with my bank. Barclays travel pack plus It's £12.50 per month and also has RAC cover as well. Just checked it says we are covered for holidays 31 days or less, includes cruises and and we will be insured until we are in our 80's. (fortunately we are still in our 60's). It also covered us when we went to New York. Never had to make a claim so cannot say how good that is but I do know the underwriter is aviva.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, delgirl said:

I have travel insurance with my bank. Barclays travel pack plus It's £12.50 per month and also has RAC cover as well. Just checked it says we are covered for holidays 31 days or less, includes cruises and and we will be insured until we are in our 80's. (fortunately we are still in our 60's). It also covered us when we went to New York. Never had to make a claim so cannot say how good that is but I do know the underwriter is aviva.

I think that you need to check that it specifically covers you for CV19 related claims. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, delgirl said:

I have travel insurance with my bank. Barclays travel pack plus It's £12.50 per month and also has RAC cover as well. Just checked it says we are covered for holidays 31 days or less, includes cruises and and we will be insured until we are in our 80's. (fortunately we are still in our 60's). It also covered us when we went to New York. Never had to make a claim so cannot say how good that is but I do know the underwriter is aviva.

We are with barclays as well, I have just checked  and Aviva is insurance and is underwritten by Cigna Europe Insurance  Company.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, delgirl said:

I have travel insurance with my bank. Barclays travel pack plus It's £12.50 per month and also has RAC cover as well. Just checked it says we are covered for holidays 31 days or less, includes cruises and and we will be insured until we are in our 80's. (fortunately we are still in our 60's). It also covered us when we went to New York. Never had to make a claim so cannot say how good that is but I do know the underwriter is aviva.

Our bank is HSBC and they use Aviva too but we are only covered up to age 70.I had to make a claim in January 2020 and they paid up very quickly.I sent the doctors report expecting a lot of supplementary questions but it was just accepted and they paid out.I was very impressed with them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

They could use a zip wire for that also,faster debarkation😂

I'd like to try a helter skelter for debarkation....

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK, so here is the problem.  Cruise was booked in October 2019 for travel October 2021.

 

Last 3 cruises were cancelled, so we have no travel insurance.    Once we pay the balance in July, we would need travel insurance.  Problem then is if P&O cancel our 19 nighter in October, we have lost £500 in travel insurance.  I spoke to one company who said if we take it out say a month before we cruise, we are then covered if we have to cancel.  The only situation that could arise, is if something happened to one of us before we took the insurance out.  It's a problem whichever way you look at it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I certainly wouldn’t chance it, but I suspect they know full well that it’s going to be very difficult, and very time consuming, to check.
 

And that as a result checking might be very perfunctory indeed - because at least 90% of people will have bought themselves the required insurance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I certainly wouldn’t chance it, but I suspect they know full well that it’s going to be very difficult, and very time consuming, to check.
 

And that as a result checking might be very perfunctory indeed - because at least 90% of people will have bought themselves the required insurance.

Plus the people who made the decision won't have to deal with the fallout.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, zap99 said:

With the last couple of annual insurance policies we have purchased, cruise cover was an optional add on.

Ours has always included it and still does - we checked this morning after reading this.  I suspect policies vary, but ours comes with our bank account and is provided by Axa.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

Perhaps they have got time to build one on Avril. If not Royal Caribbean might. It's a good idea, after all they do have ice skating rinks and flowriders. Come on P&O, get with the programme 🤣

Royal Caribbean released an advert a few years ago on 1st April for Piste of the Seas 😂😂 it was an April fool but I think I fell for it for a couple of minutes 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

OK, so here is the problem.  Cruise was booked in October 2019 for travel October 2021.

 

Last 3 cruises were cancelled, so we have no travel insurance.    Once we pay the balance in July, we would need travel insurance.  Problem then is if P&O cancel our 19 nighter in October, we have lost £500 in travel insurance.  I spoke to one company who said if we take it out say a month before we cruise, we are then covered if we have to cancel.  The only situation that could arise, is if something happened to one of us before we took the insurance out.  It's a problem whichever way you look at it.

Its a chance you will have to take. You will hit cancellation charges 3 months before departure at 25% then 50% a month later then 100% 1 month before your travel date. I know it is a pain but I wouldn't take the chance. We have annual insurance for 15 months, we have already had 2 cruises cancelled and left with 1 in October, if that gets cancelled we have lost our insurance premium. But at least we have been covered for anything unforeseen.

Edited by Rupert2251
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

Its a chance you will have to take. You will hit cancellation charges 3 months before departure at 25% then 50% a month later then 100% 1 month before your travel date. I know it is a pain but I wouldn't take the chance. We have annual insurance for 15 months, we have already had 2 cruises cancelled and left with 1 in October, if that gets cancelled we have lost our insurance premium. But at least we have been covered for anything unforeseen.

Yes I think we will probably take out the insurance when we pay the balance.  If the cruise is cancelled, then we lose half the premium.  The other way round would be worse and having just fractured my hip, I know how accidents can happen.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

I think that you need to check that it specifically covers you for CV19 related claims. 

Most policies now do cover any medical costs associated with testing positive for covid whilst on board or in a foreign hospital, including repatriation cover.  But not quite certain you would be covered when you are denied boarding because you test positive. Equally I don't know if in the latter case P&O would refund your cruise fare, although I doubt they would without you putting up a fight.

We are still holding off renewing our travel policy until we are more certain the cruise will take place, but definitely before we pay the balance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, shopaholic6 said:

Royal Caribbean released an advert a few years ago on 1st April for Piste of the Seas 😂😂 it was an April fool but I think I fell for it for a couple of minutes 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

Some years ago we were on Independence. At lunch one day a chap at lunch asked a young couple, have you been on the flowrider?. Yes that was fun.How about the climbing wall ?. Yes quite enjoyed that, but a little too easy. It turns out his job was in the RAF and they were based in Cumbria doing mountain rescue.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, delgirl said:

I have travel insurance with my bank. Barclays travel pack plus It's £12.50 per month and also has RAC cover as well. Just checked it says we are covered for holidays 31 days or less, includes cruises and and we will be insured until we are in our 80's. (fortunately we are still in our 60's). It also covered us when we went to New York. Never had to make a claim so cannot say how good that is but I do know the underwriter is aviva.

 

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

I think that you need to check that it specifically covers you for CV19 related claims. 

 

A fair bit about Covid but the sting in the tail is that when booking your Insurance will be negated if FCO advice is in place about not travelling to that country at the time of booking. So serious homework needed for a cruise I guess. 

Edited by doog442
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, doog442 said:

 

 

A fair bit about Covid but the sting in the tail is that when booking your Insurance will be negated if FCO advice is in place about not travelling to that country at the time of booking. So serious homework needed for a cruise I guess. 

That is what I was told if POCs are against FCO advice at the time of booking then you will only have partial Covid 19 cover but as to what that actually means I am not at all sure as the explanation given differed every time I spoke to an travel insurance rep....even when I spoke to the claims department for clarity it ended up as clear as mud

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...