Jump to content

A Year Ago We Were Fretting About Barrel Chairs....and Now?


Recommended Posts

This time last year, She Who Must Be Obeyed and I were on our way for a land-based trip to Australia, followed by a cruise back from Sydney on the Ruby Princess.  Our biggest worry at the time was Princess' decision to remove barrel chairs from the cabins. 

 

Seems an eon ago. Seems like small potatoes now.

 

How about you? What was your biggest worry before the pandemic stopped everything?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was worried about how to stop the spread of cancer throughout my body.  Have not worried about cruising over the past year.  Although I want to get back on a ship and see the rest of the world; right now I will wait until things get sorted out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not exactly worried but a little concerned - would we be able to have enough butter for our dinner rolls. I remember the butter rationing discussions. Lol. Oh for those halcyon days again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

This time last year, She Who Must Be Obeyed and I were on our way for a land-based trip to Australia, followed by a cruise back from Sydney on the Ruby Princess.  Our biggest worry at the time was Princess' decision to remove barrel chairs from the cabins. 

 

Seems an eon ago. Seems like small potatoes now.

 

How about you? What was your biggest worry before the pandemic stopped everything?

 

Love it.....so true on how big the Barrel Chair discussion got and a number of people said they would not sail with Princess again because of it......watch out what you wish for! :classic_rolleyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

No real cruise related worries prior to pandemic. Enjoyed pretty much all time on board, with or without the barrel chair. Now waiting to return, but will not do so until the cruise experience returns to normal which may take another year or two, considering the entire world and all the ports of call. Waiting for the North America/Caribbean 2022/2023 winter season to be available so we can book and dream. 

Edited by skynight
Link to post
Share on other sites

Chair Hogs.  Still could be concern.  With social distancing in place, will it be even harder to get a chair when cruising resumes.  How far apart will pool chairs and show seats be? 

 

Now back to world problems.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Last March I was supposed to be on the 3/22/20 Grand Princess B2B from SF plus had a deposit on Hong Kong -> Sydney (16 days). We all know what happened to 3/22/20. 1 @ cash back + 50%FCC. 1 @ 175%FCC. I canceled the 3rd as I didn't want to wait forever for refund. I've had 4 more canceled BUT no more $$s to them. Net result:

1. March 2020 B2B rebooked for 2 April 2022 cruises just owe $1275 (+ 300 OBC). Traded outside for mini-suites

2. Asia to Australia 2020 (16 days, minimum deposit) rebooked to Australia to Asia 2023 owing $276 (used 400FCC, no goodwill OBC, 18 days). Traded outside for balcony

3. Multiple redeployments led into 600 extra goodwill OBC (total 900) on a new 2022 TA. Still using 500 FCC from March 2020.

 

The FCC is finally fully reallocated but I still have a boatload of gift cards that I bought Feb 2020 to pay off initial Asia to Australia which more than covers Queensland + EZAIR 12/2021 (if outsiders can go .... just 100 goodwill OBC).

 

Cha-ching! 🤑

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for starting this thread.  I am finding the diversion a huge relief from everyday drama/boredom.  

 

Some have experienced life threatening health issues, while others have taken us on delightfully, refreshing, humorous adventures.  

 

Wishing everyone good health.  Are we beginning to see the end of a horrible pandemic that has definitely changed everyone?

Link to post
Share on other sites

A year ago.. looking forward to 3 cruises... then the wheels started to fall off....

 

Miss the barrel chairs, butter in MDR, Formal nights what not to wear.....

 

At the moment this year is not looking to much different from last.....

 

One Day somebody to really turn the night on at the end of tunnel.... looking forward to that.....  Don

Link to post
Share on other sites

I worried about pics of the new Window suites in the SKY and you  posted some  That I still have.  Thank you.  
 

Hope you are doing better.  AF-1!  
 

Nice thread.  Some of the threads on the other boards  people are really going at it  with each other.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry This  was meant for all but especially  AF-1 

1 minute ago, milolii said:
9 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I was worried about how to stop the spread of cancer throughout my body.  Have not worried about cruising over the past year.  Although I want to get back on a ship and see the rest of the world; right now I will wait until things get sorted out. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My biggest cruise-related concern back then was whether to pack my tux or not for the formal nights.  I haven't worn my tux since Nov 2019, our most recent Princess cruise that was not cancelled.  No need for the tux in these Covid isolation times.

 

Here is hoping for "normalcy."  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I was worried about how to stop the spread of cancer throughout my body.  Have not worried about cruising over the past year.  Although I want to get back on a ship and see the rest of the world; right now I will wait until things get sorted out. 

 

I know where you are coming from. Thanks to Immunotherapy I have stopped and, for now, eliminated cancer, and it is difficult to accept wasting a year or two in not being able to travel.

Then I think of the poor people that have lost their lives or have suffered with the virus, so my problems are minor.

Hope you win the fight...and then you can worry about chair hogs, barrel chairs and other first world problems.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, skynight said:

No real cruise related worries prior to pandemic. Enjoyed pretty much all time on board, with or without the barrel chair. Now waiting to return, but will not do so until the cruise experience returns to normal which may take another year or two, considering the entire world and all the ports of call. Waiting for the North America/Caribbean 2022/2023 winter season to be available so we can book and dream. 

When do you think January/February 2023 will be available to Book? I think prices will continue to rise until they can make back the lost money. I’m anxious to book as far out as possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, skynight said:

Waiting for the North America/Caribbean 2022/2023 winter season to be available so we can book and dream. 

At today’s webinar they stated they expect the Fall 2022 Americas & Japan to be released by mid-April. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We last sailed on the Sky in Jan 2020 and were debating what to do/where to go to celebrate my graduation from grad school in May 2020. Hmmm, no trip because no one wanted us. so we went to the Outer Banks for a week.

 

My biggest worry this time last year was my final semester and how I was going to get face to face teaching experience that was a large part of my grade. I did get to observe how nursing instructors change course on the fly, including things like deciding if students were cheating on online tests.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No more straws and would the lido deck pizza ever get back to the way is used to be?  I also thought that if Princess keeps building ships with such small balconies that may spell the end of my relationship with Princess.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, milolii said:

Sorry This  was meant for all but especially  AF-1 

Thank you; had my second shot on Wed.  An hour after getting shot; my arm swelled up with hives.  I put some benadryl cream on arm and it went away.  All is good. Nurse said in two weeks we will be fully protected.  So my wife and I plan to visit grandkids in Ashville, NC in April and then we are taking entire family to Hawaii in June.  Life is good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, leck57 said:

 

I know where you are coming from. Thanks to Immunotherapy I have stopped and, for now, eliminated cancer, and it is difficult to accept wasting a year or two in not being able to travel.

Then I think of the poor people that have lost their lives or have suffered with the virus, so my problems are minor.

Hope you win the fight...and then you can worry about chair hogs, barrel chairs and other first world problems.

Thank you for your concern.  I start my therapy in April.  Shots, infusions, and pills.   I will be on these for the rest of my life.  I am ready to start treatment, so I can adjust my life.  Then I will get back to cruising.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2021 at 5:43 AM, 1965 said:

Not exactly worried but a little concerned - would we be able to have enough butter for our dinner rolls. I remember the butter rationing discussions. Lol. Oh for those halcyon days again.

 

What butter rationing?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...