More Information On New Seven Day Crystal Cruises Sailings

Keith1010

I wonder how they will handle COVID testing..  Does the Bahamas have quick turn around PCR testing.

Test 72 hours before leaving.  Will be fun finding a lab to do it quickly in the States.  Same on the return to the US.

Just came back from an overseas trip to the Middle East.  They had it very well organized on the ME end (attended a Defense exhibition) - here in the states had to travel 2 hours to get to a lab that would do a 24 hour turn around.

I can't imagine what a mess it will be to get 900 passengers tested to go home.

I am sure Crystal will figure out the testing and stuff.

Obviously a lot of thought went into all of this and to me it is a great way to get the ship back in service.

Yes, repeating ports makes scheduling this much easier and they have found ports where they have the approval to do this.

Is it absolutely perfect?  Probably not.

But given the choice of not sailing or starting to get the ship back into service and doing an itinerary that they can count on this is a good way to go.

Is it for everyone?  No.  With that said I have heard from another people who plan to look into it further and likely book a bitob and a few others from this board will do.

Lots to do I am sure to get the ship ready to go back into service.  Just happy to see this.

It's good for everyone who wants Crystal to be successful.

Keith

• Like 2

Couple of thoughts - will flying from the US to / from these ports open yet?  I expect someone would have investigated this before announcing the plan.

This is Serenity - wonder what will be going on with Symphony - a close to home in Europe?

I am also wondering about my Fall 2021 cruise on the Symphony

As far as the COVID testing requirement for people flying to the US, the requirement is for either the PCR test OR the antigen test.  I recently returned from Mexico.  My hotel offered complimentary antigen testing on-site and 24-hour turnaround.  It was really easy and quick.  

At first this came across as a great new start however.....

This is during the height of hurricane season. Serenity will stay in the Bahamas region because the ship is Bahama registered.

However where can she go once an Irma, Andrew or Rita heads in that direction?  Right now all other ports are closed. And will she be able to access the scheduled ports once damaged by a hurricane? And even if all goes well the weather isn't particularly nice during that time.

Regarding the testing of 900 people, I don't think the volume is an issue based on what we're seeing resorts do right now, but I also SERIOUSLY doubt most of these sailings will book to anywhere NEAR 900 people (except for maybe the season inaugural). 

I'm as wrong as much as anyone, and I do understand at this point a lot of Crystal passengers would be happy just to get on a ship even if it was tied up at an oil refinery for a week, but I just don't see 900 being the number of tests they need to run most weeks.

Vince

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Regarding the testing of 900 people, I don't think the volume is an issue based on what we're seeing resorts do right now, but I also SERIOUSLY doubt most of these sailings will book to anywhere NEAR 900 people (except for maybe the season inaugural). 

I'm as wrong as much as anyone, and I do understand at this point a lot of Crystal passengers would be happy just to get on a ship even if it was tied up at an oil refinery for a week, but I just don't see 900 being the number of tests they need to run most weeks.

Vince

Current rules require a test every 5 days.  At least in the Bahamas the the RT PCR is OK (meaning 60 minutes),  The St Lucie County Garbage mountain would suffice for me.

My prediction is these cruises will sellout quickly..

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BWIVince said:

I do understand at this point a lot of Crystal passengers would be happy just to get on a ship even if it was tied up at an oil refinery for a week

Vince

Make it a distillery and I'm there.

Edited by KenzSailing
Typo
  • Haha 1

Hello, everyone. I was excited to read about Crystal's new summer sailings. I really like the Bahamas and would love to book one of these itineraries. That said, I am fully vaccinated and hubby will be soon. I am not willing to get a pre-cruise covid test if it means having someone stick a 10" swab up my nose. (And I had forgotten about pre-returning-to-the-US tests until reading this forum today!)  I am also not willing to walk around all day wearing a mask in the summer heat and humidity of the Caribbean. I keep wondering how long it will take for things to really get back to normal. I so miss traveling!

kathy

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Current rules require a test every 5 days.  At least in the Bahamas the the RT PCR is OK (meaning 60 minutes),  The St Lucie County Garbage mountain would suffice for me.

My prediction is these cruises will sellout quickly..

I sure hope so!  That in itself would be a huge change for Crystal.  Even the "sold out" (by cabins) cruises I've sailed on had 40-50 open berths, and those cruises were few and far between.  I hope they're popular.

2 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Make it a distillery and I'm there.

Funny you should say that...  I almost went to one of ours here this afternoon (before the capacity limits are lifted tonight), but I couldn't lure my friends away from their jobs.  😈  For a small town, we now have an alarming number of distilleries -- not that I'm complaining.

Vince

4 hours ago, BWIVince said:

I'm as wrong as much as anyone, and I do understand at this point a lot of Crystal passengers would be happy just to get on a ship even if it was tied up at an oil refinery for a week,

It's a good thing these cruises are in the Bahamas.  In 2013 I had a string of cruises starting with the Symphony New York to Miami and Prinsendam Fort Lauderdale to the Amazon and back.  Both ships stopped in Curacao and drew the exact same berth, far from the action and next to an oil storage and refinery complex:

ourcuracao.jpg

We could definitely smell the refinery and I would NOT like to spend a week there.

Roy

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, rafinmd said:

While I won't be considering travel until my medical situation stabilizes I did sneak a peek at airlines and see that a Covid test is required within 3 days before returning to the US.  I hope Crystal will be able to supply that.

Roy

All international arrivals to the US require the covid test within 72 hours of your arrival in the US.  I had a Seabourn booking which just cancelled and they were going to be doing the testing, for free, onboard, before you disembarked.  Much as the luxury resorts are doing the same thing.

Crystal will have to do this.

• Like 1

By the way the CDC requirement is for three calendar days not 72 hours this makes a huge difference especially if you’re not sure about boarding or flight times,   This means if you are returning to the us on Thursday you can be tested on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday and it is the Antigen test which can be done in a few hours.

• Like 3

Hope to see many of you in the Bahamas

I have never been so psyched for a cruise with ports that do not interest me at all!!

My Ta spoke to Crystal this am.  No further info available but you can sign up on the Crystal site to be "first to know" when details come out.  I have given TA dates and preferred cabin numbers.  I might even do the ridiculous pre cruise stay.  Just get me outta here and on board any Crystal ship going anywhere.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, TRIPACIAN said:

This bodes well for the 2022 World Cruise

Sailing a limited itinerary in one country is a far cry from a World Cruise!

The World Cruise requires ports around the world to open up - that’s got a long way to go before there’ll be a 2022 World Cruise 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

The World Cruise requires ports around the world to open up - that’s got a long way to go before there’ll be a 2022 World Cruise 

Absolutely.  But it is 9 months out, so there is time to make a lot of progress.  Our numbers in the US are improving significantly as vaccinations are underway, even though we are a long way from "normal," whatever that is.  I think (hope) that we might be surprised at how quickly Covid becomes a non-issue in places where most of the population has been vaccinated.

So as far as the World Cruise is concerned, the main issue is probably whether or not the places it is scheduled to go will be fully vaccinated  for long enough that the numbers are down and the regulations lightened up before the ship is scheduled to arrive.  Realistically, the places do need to be ready to accept cruise ships for some time before they arrive, to allow the cruise lines time to have everything in place.  So maybe 9 months is not that long, after all.

The fate of the 2022 World Cruise is far from certain at this point.

Posted (edited)

We'd love to have a July getaway to the Bahamas this summer; however, as a couple in our 50s with a tween and a teen, there is no way we'll be vaccinated (both shots) in time for summer cruising.  We are just hoping to be ready for Christmas.  I think the vaccination requirement will prohibit most Canadians from cruising for quite some time. 

Edited by barefoot girl!

I can see major changes to the 2022 WC coming.  Perhaps skipping NZ and Australia and including the Philippines and more of Indonesia.  Whatever it is still a long way out and I am patient.

I can hear Louie singing in the background I think!!!

It seems their mask policy is fluid depending on current circumstances.  It will be interesting to see if they require masks in public spaces when these sailings begin.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mnocket said:

It seems their mask policy is fluid depending on current circumstances.  It will be interesting to see if they require masks in public spaces when these sailings begin.

They will totally enforce it. I mean, the mask has become somethings so ordinary these days that even if there wont be any restrictions, many will still wear it wherever they go

• Like 1