If I was BPCL I would take a look at this model.  The data around vaccine effectiveness continues to look good.  This is positive for the Bahamas economy as you have business for ports, shipping interests, airports, boarding staff etc.  I think they would need to find a way to get the crew 100% vaccinated  and require proof from every passenger.   This has a downside- if there is an outbreak the Bahamas has limited to no surge medical capacity.  You want to discourage air-swapping indoors- the bars need to move outdoors.  The buffet moves outdoors.  This virus is not done with us yet.  

Crystal Cruises Launches New Close-to-Home Bahamas Escapes from Nassau and Bimini Beginning July 2021 – For Immediate Release | Official News Wire for the Travel Industry

I wish I knew what BPCL is thinking right now because most of us senior Floridians have been vaccinated. If they were to get their crew vaccinated their business would take off like a rocket. I know that there are people from parts of the USA come down here for this cruise but I’m not sure how many in other states have had the vaccination available to them. Here in Florida it is amazing how many places people have the vaccine available to them. Floridians are the main market for BPCL and they know that. So it begs the question what are they waiting for to sail?  Especially when crystal cruises are going to be able to sail in July. And in addition to this argument they have already gotten the green light from the CDC.

If BPCL still had Grand Celebration, it would make sense to deploy her from Freeport or Nassau. It may be a situation where if Grand Classica sets up shop elsewhere, the process to get clearance with the CDC may have to start all over again.

Most states have opened vaccines to those 60+ and are actually in Phase 1C. BPCL could realistically open up to vaccinated customers 18+ by June 1 given the Biden administration's mandate of making all adults eligible by May 1.

The catch would be provisioning the ship from Freeport or Nassau when those ports weren't designed as homeports. Passenger screening and luggage handling would also have to be figured out.

18 hours ago, tidecat said:

If BPCL still had Grand Celebration, it would make sense to deploy her from Freeport or Nassau. It may be a situation where if Grand Classica sets up shop elsewhere, the process to get clearance with the CDC may have to start all over again.

Most states have opened vaccines to those 60+ and are actually in Phase 1C. BPCL could realistically open up to vaccinated customers 18+ by June 1 given the Biden administration's mandate of making all adults eligible by May 1.

The catch would be provisioning the ship from Freeport or Nassau when those ports weren't designed as homeports. Passenger screening and luggage handling would also have to be figured out.

As it stands now, if BPCL would pay the Port of Palm Beach what they owe them, they could sail the Grand Classica back to Florida. She can be provisioned in Florida. Her market is Florida. No Floridian is going to fly to Nassau or Grand Bahama Island for this short cruise. If BPCL wanted to they could sail today. The problem is money, they are broke. End of story. 

1 hour ago, pinkie60 said:

As it stands now, if BPCL would pay the Port of Palm Beach what they owe them, they could sail the Grand Classica back to Florida. She can be provisioned in Florida. Her market is Florida. No Floridian is going to fly to Nassau or Grand Bahama Island for this short cruise. If BPCL wanted to they could sail today. The problem is money, they are broke. End of story. 

I'm confused.  If they did what you say, the CDC would allow them to start sailing to the Bahamas now?

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'm confused.  If they did what you say, the CDC would allow them to start sailing to the Bahamas now?

The CDC has already green lighted the Grand Classica. And BPCL is not a member of CLIA. The port of Palm beach has been open for six months, actually I’m not sure they even shut down. There is nothing stopping this cruise line from sailing except money. Please explain why you are confused about this. 

Because my understanding was that the green light on the CDC website did not mean the ship was actually cleared to sail.  The CDC has a long list of requirements for sailing, including doing 'test cruises.' 

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Because my understanding was that the green light on the CDC website did not mean the ship was actually cleared to sail.  The CDC has a long list of requirements for sailing, including doing 'test cruises.' 

This is my understanding as well.  

Before I book another cruise, I want to know in detail what the onboard requirements are going to be.  From what I have learned about Crystal's plans to begin sailing from the Bahamas, I am not interested.  A mask will still have to be worn on the ship as well when ashore.  No.  No.  I am not spending money to do something that I have to do at home for free and which is extremely unpleasant for me to do and negatively impacts the quality of my life.  

I wear my mask willingly in the community where I live because I know its in my best interest as well as the interest of those with whom I come into contact.  To have to do such "on a vacation" makes that "vacation" not fit its definition for me.  

9 hours ago, pinkie60 said:

The CDC has already green lighted the Grand Classica. And BPCL is not a member of CLIA. The port of Palm beach has been open for six months, actually I’m not sure they even shut down. There is nothing stopping this cruise line from sailing except money. Please explain why you are confused about this. 

Pinkie:

It’s my understanding that, at the present time, any ship that carries more than 200 passengers is currently prohibited from sailing from US ports. Doesn’t matter if they are (or are not) members of CLIA, and it doesn’t matter if the ship has attained green status from the CDC. 

1 hour ago, Tapi said:

Pinkie:

It’s my understanding that, at the present time, any ship that carries more than 200 passengers is currently prohibited from sailing from US ports. Doesn’t matter if they are (or are not) members of CLIA, and it doesn’t matter if the ship has attained green status from the CDC. 

Thank you Tapi but what federal Organiazation is prohibiting the sailings? That’s the question.

9 hours ago, pinkie60 said:

Thank you Tapi but what federal Organiazation is prohibiting the sailings? That’s the question.

The CDC is the entity preventing the sailings. They have that power. There are several cruise critic members with far more expertise than me who’ve been explaining the intricacies of this matter for the last few months. But the gist of it is that the CDC has the ability to place an order that effectively shuts cruise lines down for the purpose of limiting the introduction and the spread of a disease in US soil.

Until the CDC feels confident that large cruise ships can begin operating safely from US ports, it’s not happening no matter what. If there were a way around the CDC’s order, the cruise lines would’ve found it by now. It’s not just BPCL. 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, pinkie60 said:

The "green status" from the CDC merely means that the covid mediation plan for crew has been reviewed and approved by CDC, that the ship has submitted weekly crew health reports for 28 days, and the ship is allowed to make crew changes by commercial airlines.  Nothing else.  Nothing about allowing passengers to sail.  If you look at the CDC website, there are many ships that have "green status", yet they are not sailing with passengers.  This is only the first stage of the Framework for Conditional Sailing.  The next phase, as outlined by the CDC is to issue "technical instructions" regarding the required contracts between the cruise line and the ports, the local health care, transportation, and accommodation systems, in each port, outlining the agreement to allow the disembarkation, transportation, treatment, and quarantining of passengers.  Once these contracts are submitted and approved (and the instructions regarding what they need to contain haven't been issued yet), then the CDC will issue instructions as to how "simulated cruises" can happen, and then after the simulated cruises occur, and the results are reviewed and approved, can any ship carrying more than 250 total souls (pax and crew) resume carrying paying passengers.

So, to answer your question, the CDC is still prohibiting any ship carrying more than 250 people from sailing from, to, or between US ports.

Not sure what being a member or not of CLIA has to do with being able to sail.

Edited by chengkp75