The Daily for Saturday Mar 13, 2021

richwmn

6 hours ago, bennybear said:

We just wear a waist money belt inside our clothes, DH’s image.thumb.jpeg.c85c83df74dee6f68d7b86f33238cd64.jpegis like a pocket that attaches to his belt but  goes inside his pants.   We carry around 50 euros in cash, for day money and if we need more we go to the “bank” in the restroom.  We literally never worry about it.  

Okay...so I'm totally paranoid, but I take it a step further.  I use a diaper pin to attach the money belt to my undergarments.  That thing is going nowhere.  

Obviously I'm the one in the family entrusted with our valuables.  😂

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

So when one follows a train to gawk, it’s called “Railfanning”. Therefore, is this “Sail-fanning”?

I live in a "Great Northern Town" and we often see people travel hundreds of miles to get here to photograph the same trains that go through their own cities. We sometimes refer to them as "foamers" which could also apply to "sail-fans" if they go too overboard:)

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

on one cruise dozens of people had their passports stolen.  thus the only safe place is under your clothes!  

Edited 2 hours ago by bennybear

Same thing on one of ours.  Most people had back packs or fanny belts.  Why you would carry a passport in one of those is beyond me.

JMO -  The best place for your passport is in the safe unless you HAVE to carry it.

I have never understood why people carry passports unless it’s required.  I was  paranoid in St Petersburg and other places where it’s required to carry them.  Instead we just take a colour copy of the first page and the passport stays safely in the safe.

A Canadian passport is worth big bucks on the Black Market and I’m not interested in contributing to their profit or the hassle of replacing it.

We just play it safe 😉. If someone wants the profit for the day, they are certainly not getting major dollars nor our passports 😉 

• Like 7

Kind of late today.  I enjoyed trying the drink of the day.  One of the few times that I had the ingredients called for.  We have had a couple of the pick pocket experiences.  First was in Genoa, Italy where a Romany or Gypsy or whatever they are called was holding a baby and tried to remove my wallet.  I yelled and slapped her alongside her head and she backed away while and Italian policeman watched the whole thing about 20 feet away and was not interested.  The worst was in Beijing.  We arrived a few days early for a cruise and I couldn't make the safe in the hotel room work.  I had about $1500. and credit cards, etc. in my wallet and somehow they picked my pocket on a subway.  I reported it to the Metro Police and thought how they were thinking about these stupid, rich Americans.  "How much did you have in your wallet?"  $1500. U. S.  "What is the limit on your credit card?"  $25,000. U.S. each.  Anyway, I cancelled the cards when I got back to the hotel and Sara had enough cash and her own card, so the cruise was still fun.  Later we got a wallet and passport holder that goes around your neck and into your shirt or underwear as a pillow gift and I use that when we go ashore in dangerous ports.  Not necessary in Japan. 

• Like 5

Really late posting and reading all this😆 Great discussions. Thanks to all who posted. Have a great rest of the weekend. Tomorrow we are spending the afternoon with our granddaughter celebrating her 7th birthday. Just the 3 of us. Before COVID we would take grandkids by themselves out to lunch and then an activity of their choice. Now it is still lunch but take out and afternoon at out place with presents and games or video/movie. Thank goodness they still enjoy one on one with grandpa and grandpa!  
🎈🎁🎂🎉

• Like 8