What are the chances?

mhb1757

I know it is speculation at this point but does anyone think VO cruises in June will happen?  We are booked mid-June for Russia and Baltic. I’d like to think it would happen but I’m not really hopeful at this point.  We have had vaccine and are ready to travel again and things are beginning to open up a bit but I’m not sure international travel is going to happen this summer. Any speculation on when Viking will extend cancellations past 5/31 if they are going to happen?

We also have a 2021 June eastern Med ocean and Paris River cruise booked.  We are hoping but the EU is not fully open and international air is severely restricted.  We are just having a drink, crossing our fingers and have a plan "B" in place.  

Additional question- if Viking cancels a cruise and I have purchased airfare through their program - I could get a refund for cruise and air? But if I had purchased air on my own - I would be out the airfare? Is that how it works? Hoping none of my cruises get canceled 😱

1 hour ago, crimmj said:

Additional question- if Viking cancels a cruise and I have purchased airfare through their program - I could get a refund for cruise and air? But if I had purchased air on my own - I would be out the airfare? Is that how it works? Hoping none of my cruises get canceled 😱

If Viking cancels a booking they provide an offer of 125% FCV for all money paid to Viking, which includes air. They provide a deadline date to request a 100% cash refund in lieu of the FCV. If you have booked independent flights, then you are on your own for cancelling them and getting refunds. 

You can check the website under updates on current sailing for the options they provide.

• Like 1

As has been mentioned in a different cruiseline thread, I'm starting to think that all (at least international) cruises shouldn't resume till Jan. '22, allowing (maybe?) enough time for a high % of global vaccination. I don't see it being a fast process especially in some countries. Even if cruise passengers are vaccinated, there are still potential issues with going ashore, where likely large numbers of people still aren't. Vaccinated can still be carriers, so there is still possibly asymptomatic spread. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mhb1757 said:

Any speculation on when Viking will extend cancellations past 5/31 if they are going to happen?

It is all conjecture but based on the most recent cancellation announcements: Of late, the general cancellation announcements seem to happening 6 weeks or so prior to the end of what has already been cancelled. So, 6 weeks prior to 5/31 is mid-April. They have been cancelling 2 months at a time so the next  announcement will probably cover June and July.

• Thanks 1