Cruises Restarting for Vaccinated Only, Will You Go...?

7 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

Interesting that they specified "NCLH accepted' vaccine. The question came up here about use of the other less vetted and widely used vaccines that may be present in some crew's home country. 

I thought the part about crew "must be willing to receive a vaccination onboard" was interesting!

"NCLH said that it will accept the Pfizer BioNtech/Comirnaty, Moderna, Johnson & Johnson / Janssen and AstraZeneca vaccines.

The company also appears to be readying to vaccinate crew onboard if necessary, noting in its letter that if an accepted vaccine is not available in a crew member's home country, that crew member "must be willing to receive a vaccination on board."

On 3/21/2021 at 9:30 AM, TeeRick said:

Den everything you say in your post is logical and on target.  I would personally feel safe to cruise if I have been fully vaccinated.  But the issue with me is not my health or my COVID risk.  Instead it is the risk of having my highly expensive vacation disrupted by COVID-positives on board, even if they are not sick.  Right now anyway, the ship will end its voyage if a certain threshold level of positives occur, but we do not even know what that number is.  I need to know a lot more before I step up and pay and cruise.

Same. My next cruises are in June 2022. Plenty of time for these guinea pig cruises to get out there and work out all the kinks and for vaccinations to spread worldwide. I'm good without doing a cruise until then.

We have had our shots and we would love to go. I would not wear a mask on the ship and it shouldn't be necessary if everyone is vaccinated. I have been to buffets where they give you gloves to handle the serving utensils, and that worked out well. 

If someone feels the need to wear a mask (or two) that is their business. I feel completely confidant in my Pfizer shots especially since they have done away with the petri dish known as muster.

If shore excursions were limited, no problem.

The biggest problem I see with X right now are the prices! 

16 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

I thought the part about crew "must be willing to receive a vaccination onboard" was interesting!

"NCLH said that it will accept the Pfizer BioNtech/Comirnaty, Moderna, Johnson & Johnson / Janssen and AstraZeneca vaccines.

The company also appears to be readying to vaccinate crew onboard if necessary, noting in its letter that if an accepted vaccine is not available in a crew member's home country, that crew member "must be willing to receive a vaccination on board."

I am glad they qualified the vaccine to NCLH accepted vaccines and listed them.  I hope other cruise lines are up front about this too.

3 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

And so it begins....

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/norwegian-cruise-mandate-covid-19-125930274.html

Norwegian Cruise to mandate COVID-19 vaccination for guests and crew when it restarts trips from U.S. ports in July...

Celebrity needs to follow NCLs lead that all, no matter their age who board the ship have to have the CV-19 vaccination(s). 👍👍

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 4/1/2021 at 5:30 PM, SeaHunt said:

This vaccine from China just does not seem to be very effective in real world data.  It is worrisome if some "fully vaccinated" crew members come from countries that use this vaccine.  Link below shows the latest data from Chile which use the inactivated virus vaccine from China called CoronaVac (from Sinovac in China).  Other countries that send a lot of crew members like the Philippines, Indonesia and Turkey also use this vaccine.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/19/covid-chiles-coronavirus-cases-hit-record-levels-despite-vaccine-rollout.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-55642648

Edited by TeeRick

I'd be thrilled to participate in an early cruise to help the cruise lines work the kinks out. It's vital that early cruises from the US are successful.  To that end, I support the cruise lines desire to take extreme precautions for the first few months or so.  

I'm fully vaccinated, but I'd be happy to wear a mask, continue social distancing, lots of hand washing, and whatever protocols they want to use to be as certain as possible that crew, passengers, and host communities are safe. 

I understand this wouldn't be the luxury of yesterday - but for the sake of getting things moving - I'd take a low cost cruise for a few days - and I plan to do just that in Sept 2021.  🤞

I'm a solid 'Maybe'.  I'm vaccinated (also had Covid) and would be fine with cruising if all are passengers and crew are vaccinated.

I'd have to think hard if we had to be masked at all times in public places/ ashore and if we could only do ship excursions, as these two protocols would greatly impact our enjoyment. 

12 hours ago, DSJ28 said:

I'd be thrilled to participate in an early cruise to help the cruise lines work the kinks out. It's vital that early cruises from the US are successful.  To that end, I support the cruise lines desire to take extreme precautions for the first few months or so.  

I'm fully vaccinated, but I'd be happy to wear a mask, continue social distancing, lots of hand washing, and whatever protocols they want to use to be as certain as possible that crew, passengers, and host communities are safe. 

I understand this wouldn't be the luxury of yesterday - but for the sake of getting things moving - I'd take a low cost cruise for a few days - and I plan to do just that in Sept 2021.  🤞

Where in September and from what port?

On 4/5/2021 at 2:41 PM, davekathy said:

Celebrity needs to follow NCLs lead that all, no matter their age who board the ship have to have the CV-19 vaccination(s). 👍👍

davekathy - I totally agree with you - but as Teerick said some of those vaccines from China (Coronavac/Sinovac) are not effective and crew/passengers (from those countries) may need to have the vaccines with greater quality/efficacy.  Additionally, the ships may need to do testing of passengers and crew on an ongoing basis... They will need to get all the procedures in place before they sail ships from the U.S.

I recently saw a short film called "The Last Cruise" on HBO about the Diamond Princess - filmed on board in the early days of the pandemic. We all need to see that before we jump back onboard without the necessary procedures in place. Just to refresh 15 people died on that cruise.

Believe me, we want to cruise -- as we have 40 cruises under our belt, but not until the procedures and safeguards are all in place...

Hope to see you all soon..🛳️😀

You bet! We’re vaccinated, have no issues wearing masks in public areas like we recently did at Disney World, and no issues social distancing as that’s pretty much what we do when we’re on a cruise anyway. 

10 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Where in September and from what port?

I'll be on the MSC Divina in September - leaving Port Canaveral for Nassau and MSC's private island - Ocean Cay.  In March, I'll be back with Celebrity aboard the Apex from Ft Lauderdale.  I'm hoping cruising from the US will be close to normal by March, so I'm spending a lot more to enjoy the Apex. 

20 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

I'm a solid 'Maybe'.  I'm vaccinated (also had Covid) and would be fine with cruising if all are passengers and crew are vaccinated.

I'd have to think hard if we had to be masked at all times in public places/ ashore and if we could only do ship excursions, as these two protocols would greatly impact our enjoyment. 

I just want to say I appreciate people like Nebr.cruiser who are being thoughtful about their preferences.  If masking is going to ruin the fun for you, I think it's wise to hold off until masking is not required.  Why pay a pretty penny to put yourself in a position that you don't enjoy? Likewise, if you think precautions aren't strict enough, wait until the cruise lines prove to your satisfaction that it is safe to return.  

Now is the time to assess your needs and preferences - and (as difficult as it may be) hold off on cruising if the excessive safety measures are burdensome or insufficient in your opinion. The only wrong answer in this situation is to board a ship knowing what their procedures are ahead of time and yet complaining about them for the entire cruise.   Ugh!!  Then again, this is why I travel with earbuds 🙂

1 hour ago, DSJ28 said:

I'll be on the MSC Divina in September - leaving Port Canaveral for Nassau and MSC's private island - Ocean Cay.  In March, I'll be back with Celebrity aboard the Apex from Ft Lauderdale.  I'm hoping cruising from the US will be close to normal by March, so I'm spending a lot more to enjoy the Apex. 

I hope you can cruise from US ports by September.  Good luck.

Well, you look at my signature and yup, Cruising Again! Just added the Alaska Solstice cruise July 2022 and invited the whole family. We haven’t seen our kids all through 2020. We now have our shots, our kids have them so we decided it is time. 

Any changes? Yup. More focused on being with our family and close friends. Booked a Refundable especially with the kids booking and still working.

This is the time to book. Not sure about all the ‘price is too high’ discussions. I’ve got good pricing and good benefits added (yes, we pay for them too) and a bit more flexibility. Heck, this 2022 cruise is less expensive and more bene’s than my comparable cruise on Solstice Alaska cruise in 2015. 

And Pleeeese don’t start showing me how much cheaper some cruise on another Line is. I did actuals and this was just fine. 

Den

No to cruising in 2021, for sure.  We got our first Pfizer shots two weeks ago; who knows when we'll get a second one here in Canada?  Probably just in time to get the newly recommended third shot of Pfizer.  Our province has had a relatively successful first dose vaccine rollout so far, but we are at the mercy of erratic vaccine production and delivery from other countries.  Because of this, we are definitely not particularly optimistic about travel of any kind, including cruising.  We are worried about countries not accepting tourists on flights, ships, etc.  Also concerning are fake vaccine passports (so being exposed to unvaccinated people), inferior vaccines for ship workers, tour operators, etc., insurance issues, new double mutant variables (will vaccines protect?) etc.  We don't want to be stuck on a quarantined ship for weeks.  We have cruises booked for 2022 and backups in 2023, but we are very prepared for these to change, sadly.