Picture-A-Week 2021 - Week 12

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, March 15 and Sunday, March 21.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Now boeckli is probably sitting out the deluge in her area. Some places had over 300mm (12 inches) or rain. 

Here in Melbourne, we had a little fog. Some phone images from Saturday morning   First 3 looking from Williamstown across Hobsons Bay eastwards, with Melbourne city on the left. Last is around the other side of Point Gellibrand looking south east into Port Phillip  Bay. 

D9D61FD1-6E57-4750-9615-68298C7B34EE.thumb.jpeg.baf4ff93881eaee29de937b184647b79.jpeg

262ADF81-750C-410F-9F7F-B7F144A5B688.thumb.jpeg.a653fb56135fc443dac69e7176f1844d.jpeg

63801C4D-323B-43F8-8D4D-74F7C3598763.thumb.jpeg.cf5bbe07c1c4e6e6080904c55a17969b.jpeg

44B55958-E4DA-4B71-93D7-0DC03E402304.thumb.jpeg.eadb7f158d66347afdf07dca7173e485.jpeg

• Like 3

Adrian is right - definite deluge here in Sydney (although not as bad as further up the coast). I was lucky to pick just the right almost dry 1/2 hour for a walk around the neighbourhood this afternoon before the heavens opened again.

Our local waterfall in full swing

RX029546.thumb.JPG.fedc74dcc72d4352aa20ba9de9edefdb.JPG

A couple of brush turkeys had escaped up a tree just to the left of above picture

RX029553.thumb.JPG.206bd3ce1e83828140c692ee4230186a.JPG

• Like 5

I have never been a hockey fan. I don't dislike it for any reason but I think being raised in Southern California where naturally occurring ice was pretty rare dulled my interest in it as a sport. I guess kids like sports they can play and hockey wasn't one of them for me. My early exposure to hockey was highlights of brawls on Wide World of Sports and the famous line from Rodney Dangerfield:   “I was is a bar fight the other night and a hockey game broke out.” I’m still not an actual fan but since my daughter married an avid  LA Kings fan and they have introduced their son to hockey, I may have to pay attention to the sport and learn the rules. Wonderful Wife will watch any sport a grandchild is playing and this week we went and did just that. Looking good, Matthew!

Bar Fight

1621227302_2021-12BarFight.thumb.jpg.7010d3dc2079393f6b738649a5b9cca4.jpg

Dave

• Like 3

Guess what I did this weekend?  Wrong!  I went wildlife and bird shooting!  Hah - no one could have guessed.  😉

Here are the weekend haul of birds and critters from the local wetlands on a lovely Saturday day:

This eastern screech owl is a very difficult bird to spot - even when sitting just 6 feet away, I barely noticed this one after circling back thinking I caught a glimpse of something in my peripheral vision.  It was on the back of a palm tree trying to nap for the afternoon, but peeked out at me as I was passing by:

original.jpg

The pig frogs have been out in force lately - usually we can just hear them grunting, but can't see them, but this pond had 10-12 of them sitting at the surface croaking at each other:

original.jpg

Green herons appear to be stocky, no-neck little herons:

original.jpg

But they actually have extremely long necks all hidden inside those feathers.  When you see them 2-3 feet above the water and wonder how they think they can catch a fish from there, all is explained when that hidden neck comes coiling out:

original.jpg

Another week, and another encounter with the usually hard to find Wilson's snipe, which for some reason has been an almost-regular species for me the past month!:

original.jpg

This tricolored heron was almost hidden in the reeds, until it spread its wings out and stretched:

original.jpg

The American bittern, camouflage-master, had come out of the reeds into an open patch just 8 feet from me to hunt down a fish:

original.jpg

Female red-winged blackbird singing out:

original.jpg

Red-bellied woodpecker using that extra-long barbed tongue to fish out the bugs and larvae hiding in the bark:

original.jpg

I left the wetlands and drove home a little after 6pm...and on the way home, in a high-school football field and parking lot near my house, I noticed a small black-and-white dot way up on a cell tower.  I pulled over, grabbed the camera out of the hatch, and snapped a shot of this lovely bald eagle, which is a rare sighting in my area...didn't even have to be at the wetlands to see an eagle!:

original.jpg

• Like 7