O-Life Flights.

sunbrookgal

Question concerning O-Life flights. Lets say you wanted to fly in to a location several days earlier than the cruise. Is that drama, or Pay me a few bucks and its all good. Same Q for return. Ok,, In to Singapore and out of Istanbul. Both locations need additional look see. 

6 minutes ago, sunbrookgal said:

Question concerning O-Life flights. Lets say you wanted to fly in to a location several days earlier than the cruise. Is that drama, or Pay me a few bucks and its all good. Same Q for return. Ok,, In to Singapore and out of Istanbul. Both locations need additional look see. 

In  the past you could request the flight/dates you wanted   & once  in agreement you pay the non refundable  Deviation fee $175 USD PP

You could start the process 270 days out  or when their contracts  were in place

There may or not be an upcharge for the flights you want   but you can choose other flights  until you  are both in agreement

• Like 1

The closer to the 270 mark one begins, the more options Oceania has to work with you. In a very simple comparison, think of bulk rate contract tickets like frequent flier seats.  The airlines allocate a given number of seats on each into each bucket. That number may change, but waiting until late in the process that bucket is likely to empty. The number of empty seats showing for a flight has zero to do with how many seats may be in the ff bucket or the bulk rate ticket bucket.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ski Mom 2 said:

What about booking higher class flights? Our flights will be overnights and I'm thinking I'd prefer to not be in coach for that. How does that work out? Thanks!

Don’t book BC tickets with O Air. Plenty written about it, a bad deal. 

Premium Economy is same as Economy above. Only so many seats in the bucket with only a few seats to begin with.

Here’s an example. One needs to fly to Athens. American has/had non stops out of Philly and DFW. Non stops are lucrative, only a few of those go into the bulk rate bucket. If you wait and don’t request/ get the non-stop, you’ll be changing planes in Heathrow. If it’s United or Delta, it’s Frankfort or CDG. Extra stop.

Part two: Oceania’s PE upgrade is only for “ over the water”. So, if you don’t get that nonstop and change planes in LHR, you’re only PE to LHR, coach seats from their. Same coming back.

Always best to get your plane bookings early so to get the few nonstops.

• Like 2

Can you call to do the one way going 270 days out and then the home one way 270 days out from that date or must you do round trip at once with O? I'm looking at Atlanta to Buenos Aires and either Lima or Santiago back to ATL. And we will be going in early and returning late as well. The premium economy works for those flights if I remember correctly. Not sure I'm willing to pay for first class either way...

26 minutes ago, Ski Mom 2 said:

Can you call to do the one way going 270 days out and then the home one way 270 days out from that date or must you do round trip at once with O? I'm looking at Atlanta to Buenos Aires and either Lima or Santiago back to ATL. And we will be going in early and returning late as well. The premium economy works for those flights if I remember correctly. Not sure I'm willing to pay for first class either way...

I believe you have to wait, but could be wrong. Since you’re talking Delta, I presume, your TA will need to find out if Oceania contracts with Delta for S. A. In general, and for their version of P. E. In particular. Oceania doesn’t contract with all carriers for all routes. Part of getting those bulk rate deals.

1 hour ago, Ski Mom 2 said:

What about booking higher class flights? Our flights will be overnights and I'm thinking I'd prefer to not be in coach for that. How does that work out? Thanks!

Book your own flights if you want BUS or 1st class  

if they offer PE that may work for you

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ski Mom 2 said:

Book both legs at the same time or you pay the deviation fee twice

• Like 1

Just a heads-up on the PE upgrade and deviations discussion.

A recent change (to me) to PE upgrade policy is potentially a huge no-go.

Clearly (thanks for that, O) on the itinerary the PE upgrade is described as "only from Venice" or "only from Lisbon", etc. I assumed (oops) that was them helpfully indicating and expanding upon the "restricted" or "not on domestic" part of the policy. Wrong. It means just as they wrote. If we want PE upgrade promo it is only available from say Venice and no deviation to depart from another city such as Rome. Well, the O CSR said that actually he does not know if the air surcharge on a deviation will take the PE upgrade promotion price in consideration or whether it will be the same as their (extremely high) pricing when requesting BC (as has been reported and advised against here many times).

We booked the TA cruise anyway and will find out if the air deviation will be reasonable or not in a few months. Fortunately we can make the inquiry long before final payment is scheduled.  If the upgrade promo is not included then maybe will cancel and revert to extended land trip. That is my preference anyway. Touring for a couple of weeks after the cruise and having to return to disembarkation port does not make sense time or money-wise.

AFAIK

if the cruise  say ends in Venice  then the PE flight upgrade would be from VCN

If the cruise ends in Civitavecchia  then the PE offer would be from FCO

Sometimes they will make exception if you are staying longer & want to fly from another airport  that they have flights from  airlines that have contracts with  for PE seating

JMO

• Like 1

Lyn’s comments are important. Where you leave from is important. Since Rome  is a common airport a good TA can probably get you the promotion through their.

However, the problem came where people wanted to hop a River cruise out of BudaPest to Bucharest and wanted O to provide air back to the US from Bucharest .

Second issue. There’s a time window. If O stops cruising out of a port on a certain date, they don’t contract air rates for an extended period past that date. So if O stops cruising in Italy in mid November, don’t expect them to fly you home in. December. However, they may well do that for you for a cruise in June and you wanting to go home in July.

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

AFAIK

if the cruise  say ends in Venice  then the PE flight upgrade would be from VCN

If the cruise ends in Civitavecchia  then the PE offer would be from FCO

Sometimes they will make exception if you are staying longer & want to fly from another airport  that they have flights from  airlines that have contracts with  for PE seating

JMO

My heads-up was because I have not seen the condition printed on the trips graphics in the cruise list before. And being as we have always had a deviation from a city other than cruise disembarkation airport with PE upgrade promo and not had an issue with high add-on air adjustment price I again assumed this was a new. If you have other knowledge and experience on this and is in fact always been the case then I am concerned needlessly. Thanks

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Lyn’s comments are important. Where you leave from is important. Since Rome  is a common airport a good TA can probably get you the promotion through their.

However, the problem came where people wanted to hop a River cruise out of BudaPest to Bucharest and wanted O to provide air back to the US from Bucharest .

Second issue. There’s a time window. If O stops cruising out of a port on a certain date, they don’t contract air rates for an extended period past that date. So if O stops cruising in Italy in mid November, don’t expect them to fly you home in. December. However, they may well do that for you for a cruise in June and you wanting to go home in July.

Not really applicable. No discussion of when or from where. Simply the "city listed is the only city for PE promo" (paraphrase). And, the wise words, wait until you actually see the quote. 

Being as I had not had this road bump causing me to pause in the buying process I just wanted to add this potential issue to the discussion on the question asked about "what about higher class flights" and the response the PE is similar to economy.  The PE upgrade is similar if from the disembarkation port but maybe more like the high charges if a different airport. 

My speculation will end in a few months.

59 minutes ago, AweighToSea said:

My heads-up was because I have not seen the condition printed on the trips graphics in the cruise list before. And being as we have always had a deviation from a city other than cruise disembarkation airport with PE upgrade promo and not had an issue with high add-on air adjustment price I again assumed this was a new. If you have other knowledge and experience on this and is in fact always been the case then I am concerned needlessly. Thanks

I am sorry I am not understanding your  statement 

You have  had the PE promo before   from an airport other than one near the cruise port city?

If you have not had an issue before  with Oceania getting the PE seats for a different airport not close to the cruise port  it may be a moot point

As I said sometime will grant the PE seats from another airport   if their contract with the airline allows

All you can do is ask when the time comes to start the deviation negotiations

Just now, LHT28 said:

I am sorry I am not understanding your  statement 

You have  had the PE promo before   from an airport other than one near the cruise port city?

If you have not had an issue before  with Oceania getting the PE seats for a different airport  close to the cruise port  it may be a moot point

As I said sometime will grant the PE seats from another airport   

All you can do is ask when the time comes to start the deviation negotiations

Yes, you got it. The only point is that now O is declaring "only from the disembarkation port", words I have not noticed before and the O CSR confirmed that the promo is only from the disembarkation port. So maybe I will get a decent price from a different city but these new words, and the rep, gently imply not. As you say, we will ask when the time comes.

And yes, " if their contract with the airline allows". Their new contracts might be more restricted as the airlines work with all their new challenges and that is the underlying reason if there is a restriction. 

• Like 1

I just email Oceania to add OLife air to our cruise. 

Can someone tell me how this will work? When can we book our airfare? Is it over the phone or online? Will I be able to pick our seats? Can I access the flights from the airlines website? 

Sorry for so many questions but I can't find any specifics on either Oceania's website or on CC. 

31 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

Can someone tell me how this will work? When can we book our airfare? Is it over the phone or online? Will I be able to pick our seats? Can I access the flights from the airlines website? 

Sorry for so many questions but I can't find any specifics on either Oceania's website or on CC. 

If you used a TA  ask them if not call Oceania

It is complicated  as usual

Are you planning on flying in early or staying after the cruise? 

Then you can request your flights  starting about 270 out  & pay the deviation fee $175 PP & choose the flights /routing of your choice

some exceptions apply  & there may or may not be an upcharge

If you are just going on cruise day  Oceania will assign flights of their choosing  after final payment & ticket you about 45 days out

OLife  & air  are 2 separate  things

26 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

Do you have a Travel Agent?

You can book airfare starting at 270 days prior to cruising.

Your TA, hopefully you have one, with your instructions, will  give book the flight through O Air.

Once the flights have been ticketed, you’ll be able to pick seats. Typically, Oceania doesn’t ticket the flight until one has paid in full for the cruise. 

We don't have a travel agent. I'm dealing with an Oceania agent. Our cruise is in 213 days and we plan to fly into Venice a few days early and stay in Barcelona for a few days after the cruise. Luckily, we live near Seattle so we have that gateway.

I really don't like giving up control of any aspect of a vacation but airfare is crazy expensive right now and I don't know if it will get better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, patty1955 said:

We don't have a travel agent. I'm dealing with an Oceania agent. Our cruise is in 213 days and we plan to fly into Venice a few days early and stay in Barcelona for a few days after the cruise. Luckily, we live near Seattle so we have that gateway.

I really don't like giving up control of any aspect of a vacation but airfare is crazy expensive right now and I don't know if it will get better. 

You can ask about the flights now & see what they offer

You will pay the non refundable  deviation fee once you agree to the flights

The air offered  is for  embarkation day arrival & disembarkation day in Economy  ..sometimes there is  a deal for PE 

Oceania  will choose the flights/routings if you do not ask ahead of time

Personally I do not see the cruise happening

JMO

To anyone who has questions about the process, here's my experience:

Yesterday I contacted Oceania and requested OLife air be added to my cruise. About an hour later, I received an email with a new invoice and instructions to go to Oceania Cruises online to request custom air arrangements. I went to "Modify This Booking" and under the "Air, Transfers & Visa" tab I was able to request the custom air fare. Today I received an email with the proposed travel information and I emailed them my acceptance. 

Really, it couldn't be any easier. I don't know why I couldn't find any answers about how it works so I hope this is helpful to anyone with questions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

To anyone who has questions about the process, here's my experience:

Yesterday I contacted Oceania and requested OLife air be added to my cruise. About an hour later, I received an email with a new invoice and instructions to go to Oceania Cruises online to request custom air arrangements. I went to "Modify This Booking" and under the "Air, Transfers & Visa" tab I was able to request the custom air fare. Today I received an email with the proposed travel information and I emailed them my acceptance. 

Really, it couldn't be any easier. I don't know why I couldn't find any answers about how it works so I hope this is helpful to anyone with questions. 

Glad you got the info you  needed

I just use my  TA   😉