Jump to content

Should I pay my June 17, 2021 Reflection 11 night Iceland & Norway Cruise in full?


Recommended Posts

Hello all.  Both spouse and I are vaccinated (both doses).  I know Celebrity cancelled all cruises into the beginning of June, 2021.  I am told the Lift and Shift has been extended to our cruise, set to leave on June 17, 2021.  I really WANT this cruise to happen, so I am ready to pay in full.  However, if the cruise does not happen, and the cruise line goes into bankruptcy, I really don't want them taking my 7K with them.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Does anybody really think this European cruise, departing from Amsterdam, is going to happen?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JesMil said:

Hello all.  Both spouse and I are vaccinated (both doses).  I know Celebrity cancelled all cruises into the beginning of June, 2021.  I am told the Lift and Shift has been extended to our cruise, set to leave on June 17, 2021.  I really WANT this cruise to happen, so I am ready to pay in full.  However, if the cruise does not happen, and the cruise line goes into bankruptcy, I really don't want them taking my 7K with them.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Does anybody really think this European cruise, departing from Amsterdam, is going to happen?

YIKES, Celebrity needs to do better with this first of all.  You do have a few days yet to deicide before final payment.  If it were me, I would wait until at least then before deciding.  Unfortunately, much is changing in Europe the past few days.  Not really an answer I know, but for me, I'd wait until at least last minute.  Best of luck

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kwokpot said:

A cruise in Europe for Americans in June? Nope, not happening. 

My July 30th British Isles won't happen either out of Amsterdam.....Now if only Celebrity would go ahead and cancel !!

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Reflection is sitting in the Caribbean. No approval to even begin test cruises. Test cruises will require crew to be able to get here, quarantined, vaccinated and then trained before test cruises.  Assuming all that could happen by June 1 ( highly unlikely) is the embarkation port allowing tourists, are they requiring quarantining? are the places on your itinerary allowing cruise ships to dock or passengers to disembark?  
 

IMHO no Celebrity ships will be sailing in Europe in June or July, if at all.

We have a Europe cruise  booked for October on the Infinity which is sitting in the Med and I am skeptical that it will sail.  We won’t make final payment unless ships are already sailing with international passengers and stopping a multiple countries. 
 

Long reply, my answer to your question is no don’t make final payment.  If there is a itinerary you can L & S to I would do that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

There is no way this cruise will happen.

The Netherlands still requires you to quarantine for 10 days upon entering the country.

 

https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad/checklist

 

There is also mandatory quarantine time for travel into Norway and Iceland so there is no way a cruise ship is going to be able to port for a day.

Edited by pixiedust777
Link to post
Share on other sites

L&S if possible.  There is absolutely no possibility of your cruise happening.  Nothing starts till June 1st.  Then there needs to be test cruises.  You can do the math.  The only reason would be if you want a bonus FCC.  There is no chance in the short run of losing your deposit.  Lots of equity still there and willing investors.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the others, there is no way this trip sails.  The one thing to consider is your current deposit.  Is it refundable if you cancel?  Can you get money back or FCC?   If Celebrity cancels you can get your deposit money back.  Personally I am not a fan of FCCs, just too much risk inherent there now.  If the L&S option is there that is a reasonable choice. If you don't want to do that trying talking to Celebrity or your TA about delaying final payment.  If you do make the payment make sure it is done with a credit card so you can go back to the credit card company on the off chance Royal goes bankrupt.  In the short term I don't see that happening but if they do most credit cards will cover your refund.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a chance this cruise sails.  If you have a refundable deposit, I would take the money now, I would stay away from any L&S or FCC's because they may change the rules if you need to move or cancel the cruise again.  However, I also don't think there's a chance of Celebrity going bankrupt in the next couple of months.  If you need to pay in full to get a full refund, that should be fine.  On the plus side Celebrity seems to be doing a good job of refunding your deposit/fare when you cancel.  It likely will only take a week or so.

 

Good Luck

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi

When has L&S been extended to?

Is that L&S at the price you paid or simply rebooking at the prevailing price.

 

I have a Baltic cruise from Amsterdam in August and I don’t really want be on it,,,to many onboard restrictions.
And with 7 different countries to navigate and hoping they will all be open to cruises it ain’t going to happen.

There is an exact same cruise in 2022 but £1000 dearer than the one I have booked.

If I could do L&S I would jump at it.

 

 

Edited by JeanieC,Aston
Link to post
Share on other sites

We are on this cruise as well. We paid the balance to our travel agent but Celebrity's date is this Friday. I'm convinced that the cruise will not happen but I thought there was nothing to Lift and Shift it to. Does JesMil have any specifics on this?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jelayne said:

If there is a itinerary you can L & S to I would do that.

If there is Lift & Shift for your cruise, I think that indicates that Celebrity already know the cruise won’t happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, JesMil said:

Hello all.  Both spouse and I are vaccinated (both doses).  I know Celebrity cancelled all cruises into the beginning of June, 2021.  I am told the Lift and Shift has been extended to our cruise, set to leave on June 17, 2021.  I really WANT this cruise to happen, so I am ready to pay in full.  However, if the cruise does not happen, and the cruise line goes into bankruptcy, I really don't want them taking my 7K with them.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Does anybody really think this European cruise, departing from Amsterdam, is going to happen?


We had the same dilemma about our May 5, 2021 cruise out of Amsterdam, obviously since cancelled.  We decided to pay in full, with the expectation that we would get a 25% bump through the 125% FCC offer.  The cash wasn't earning anything to speak of in a money market fund, and it is a pretty good return.  We had no other FCC from prior cancelled cruises, which I mention because of the concern that some others have had about being able to spend the FCC as it accumulates.  As against this, the main risk is insolvency, but we decided to take that gamble.  If you have a Lift & Shift option that would be a good value and of interest to you, you should consider that as an alternative.  In our case, the corresponding cruise in 2022 is on Apex, while the cancelled cruise was on Reflection, so we knew that would not be offered to us.

Good luck.

 

Tom & Judy

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

L&S if possible.  There is absolutely no possibility of your cruise happening.  Nothing starts till June 1st.  Then there needs to be test cruises.  You can do the math.  The only reason would be if you want a bonus FCC.  There is no chance in the short run of losing your deposit.  Lots of equity still there and willing investors.

 

There may not be any need to do Test Cruises in Europe, That is a CDC ruling for cruises in USA. 

 

By the way, I don't see this one sailing either as some of the European countries are going back into lockdown due to increased cases.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with waiting till FP is due.  Then cancel as I also think there is no way this cruise is going to sail.  i am worried about ours at the end of Aug. and think it is doomed also.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, jelayne said:

The Reflection is sitting in the Caribbean. No approval to even begin test cruises. Test cruises will require crew to be able to get here, quarantined, vaccinated and then trained before test cruises.  Assuming all that could happen by June 1 ( highly unlikely) is the embarkation port allowing tourists, are they requiring quarantining? are the places on your itinerary allowing cruise ships to dock or passengers to disembark?  
 

IMHO no Celebrity ships will be sailing in Europe in June or July, if at all.

We have a Europe cruise  booked for October on the Infinity which is sitting in the Med and I am skeptical that it will sail.  We won’t make final payment unless ships are already sailing with international passengers and stopping a multiple countries. 
 

Long reply, my answer to your question is no don’t make final payment.  If there is a itinerary you can L & S to I would do that.

No itinerary option for me...I just want my deposit back and Celebrity to cancel before final is due !

 

I have a NRD $900 deposit. I booked my British Isles (July 30th) on Reflection in Dec 2019...they've had my money long enough. I will not give them more for my suite and business class air. Doubtful I will cruise again with them if they wait to cancel after final May 1st.

 

Edited by Ashland
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Norwegian  just cancelled thru 6/30 across all their brands.  Expect other lines will shortly follow suit.

I would be surprised RCI and celebrity will cancel early this time. They are usually the last one to cancel AFTER the final payment date.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Our June 28 13 day on the Reflection Baltic final payment was due to the travel agent yesterday.   We paid most of it with last year's cancelled transatlantic and Ireland cruise FCC.  Was really hoping Celebrity would get off their duffs and make a decision.  We don't even have air to Amsterdam yet.  We do have a refundable hotel. Would love to Lift & Shift, but it's not available yet.  And the itinerary and  ship class aren't available for '22.  I think that Celebrity deliberately didn't schedule like cruises and ships so they could get out of the L & S.  Apex is doing a shorter itinerary with more sea days.  The Silhouette is only doin 11 days in the Med.  Bummer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, scidee said:

Our June 28 13 day on the Reflection Baltic final payment was due to the travel agent yesterday.   We paid most of it with last year's cancelled transatlantic and Ireland cruise FCC.  Was really hoping Celebrity would get off their duffs and make a decision.  We don't even have air to Amsterdam yet.  We do have a refundable hotel. Would love to Lift & Shift, but it's not available yet.  And the itinerary and  ship class aren't available for '22.  I think that Celebrity deliberately didn't schedule like cruises and ships so they could get out of the L & S.  Apex is doing a shorter itinerary with more sea days.  The Silhouette is only doin 11 days in the Med.  Bummer.

No need to schedule airfare for a cruise that's not going and Americans are currently banned from traveling to the Netherlands and no rescind of those orders are currently in place.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

No need to schedule airfare for a cruise that's not going and Americans are currently banned from traveling to the Netherlands and no rescind of those orders are currently in place.

My air to Amsterdam is booked with Celebrity luckily.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi

When has L&S been extended to?

Is that L&S at the price you paid or simply rebooking at the prevailing price.

 

I have a Baltic cruise from Amsterdam in August and I don’t really want be on it,,,to many onboard restrictions.
And with 7 different countries to navigate and hoping they will all be open to cruises it ain’t going to happen.

There is an exact same cruise in 2022 but £1000 dearer than the one I have booked.

If I could do L&S I would jump at it.

 

 

Hi.

My mistake.

Reflection is not doing Baltic from Amsterdam next year,,,it’s Apex,so no L&S.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company - Celebrate Your Freedom
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...