Princess reduce the cost of all-inclusive Princess Plus package

YORKI1

Reduced from £35 to £30 per day, per person. I have just spoken to Princess and asked them to reduce the cost of my cruise accordingly. The man I spoke to said he would have to speak to someone else as the cost was only reduced yesterday and he didn’t know what they were doing about it. He then advised me they can transfer the booking to the new fare but for my 7 night cruise it will cost me £100. So, I would be saving £70 but it would cost me £100. I knew what he was going to say next before he opened his mouth - “it’s in the Terms & Conditions”. Thank you Princess.

• Like 1

To be fair, even at £35 it was a bargain. For example, the drinks package on P&O is £39.95 pppn. 

It would have been nice if the new price could have been backdated, but I'm certainly not going to worry about it, or let it influence my opinion of Princess. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

To be fair, even at £35 it was a bargain. For example, the drinks package on P&O is £39.95 pppn. 

It would have been nice if the new price could have been backdated, but I'm certainly not going to worry about it, or let it influence my opinion of Princess. 

Agree. I'm happy with the original price that I've paid. Considering they have moved my cancelled June 2021 cruise to equivalent cruise next year at this years price, I am not going to quibble . 

6 hours ago, YORKI1 said:

Reduced from £35 to £30 per day, per person. I have just spoken to Princess and asked them to reduce the cost of my cruise accordingly. The man I spoke to said he would have to speak to someone else as the cost was only reduced yesterday and he didn’t know what they were doing about it. He then advised me they can transfer the booking to the new fare but for my 7 night cruise it will cost me £100. So, I would be saving £70 but it would cost me £100. I knew what he was going to say next before he opened his mouth - “it’s in the Terms & Conditions”. Thank you Princess.

How many days is the cruise?  If 7 days, you would be saving a total of 35 pounds.  Not worth the bother of changing.

DON

43 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

How many days is the cruise?  If 7 days, you would be saving a total of 35 pounds.  Not worth the bother of changing.

DON

The OP said it was a 7 day cruise.

6 hours ago, YORKI1 said:

If I might ask, is it possible for you to provide a link to the article where you read this or was it word of mouth from a Princess rep?

24 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If I might ask, is it possible for you to provide a link to the article where you read this or was it word of mouth from a Princess rep?

Here's the press release from Princess UK:

15 March 2021

Princess Cruises to offer even better value on all-inclusive package

Princess Cruises has revealed it will offer guests even better value for its all-inclusive ‘Princess Plus’ fare. From tomorrow (16 March) guests can add on the package for just £30 per person per day.
Princess Plus is a simplified onboard savings package which includes premium drinks, unlimited MedallionNet Wi-Fi and onboard gratuities – equating to over £65 in value per day.
The premium drinks package includes cocktails, wine, beer, spirits, coffee and tea. Guests who prefer soft drinks or are under the drinking age can take advantage of the likes of fruit juices, mocktails and smoothies.

In addition, with unlimited MedallionNet™ Wi-Fi – which has been hailed as the best Wi-Fi at sea - guests can enjoy unprecedented connectivity that’s fast, reliable, and affordable with a wireless access point in every stateroom. Through the MedallionNet, guests can stream movies, shows, games and music; easily connect to social media sites; and video chat from anywhere on the ship.

Example fares with Princess Plus include:

·        £439pp for a four-night Netherlands Sampler cruise on Regal Princess. Sailing roundtrip from Southampton, calling at Rotterdam. Departs Oct 30, 2021.

·        £759pp for a seven-night autumn half term cruise to Spain & France on Regal Princess. Sailing roundtrip from Southampton, calling at La Rochelle, Bilbao, and La Coruna. Departs Oct 23, 2021. A family of four can sail all-inclusive from £2,496.

·        £1,519pp for a 14-night Mediterranean cruise on Sky Princess. Sailing roundtrip from Southampton, calling at Seville (Cadiz), Barcelona, Marseille, Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Rome (Civitavecchia), Sardinia (Alghero), Gibraltar. Departs Oct 22, 2021.

Tony Roberts, Princess Cruises vice president UK & Europe, said: “At just £30 per person per day for premium drinks, the best Wi-Fi at sea and gratuities – equating to over £65 in value - our Princess Plus package is an offer that’s too good to miss.

“Just imagine relaxing on the top deck of one of our stunning ships with all-inclusive cocktails whilst streaming your favourite movies and staying connected with family and friends back home.

“What’s more, for families eager to get away over autumn half-term, a family of four can take an all-inclusive week long cruise to the sunny coasts of Spain & France for just £649 per person.”

Edited by dides
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

DON

Not everyone would throw away $35 the close equivalent I sure wouldn't

• Thanks 1

This is a lot of smoke and mirrors.  It is apparent that Princess has simply made a currency adjustment between USD and GBP.  

They recently did the same thing in adjusting the CAD rate.  I suppose they could have claimed that magically the Plus package was now a great bargain for Canadians, but in truth, the pricing is still $40 USD/pp/day and anyone previously booking in CAD was simply over-paying per market pricing. 

If they make this marketing claim, don't expect them to similarly alert customers that the cost of Plus package has gone up in price next time the currency rate is adjusted in the other direction.  😉

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

This is a lot of smoke and mirrors.  It is apparent that Princess has simply made a currency adjustment between USD and GBP.  

They recently did the same thing in adjusting the CAD rate.  I suppose they could have claimed that magically the Plus package was now a great bargain for Canadians, but in truth, the pricing is still $40 USD/pp/day and anyone previously booking in CAD was simply over-paying per market pricing. 

If they make this marketing claim, don't expect them to similarly alert customers that the cost of Plus package has gone up in price next time the currency rate is adjusted in the other direction.  😉

Sorry, I don't understand your argument.

From now on, if I buy the Princess Plus package, I will be paying £5 a day less, so over 14 days I will save £70. How is that smoke and mirrors  ?  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Sorry, I don't understand your argument.

From now on, if I buy the Princess Plus package, I will be paying £5 a day less, so over 14 days I will save £70. How is that smoke and mirrors  ?  

Because what he intends is the actual value per day of the perks is calculated by Princess world wide on all their ships in USD, and obviously when one currency (the British Pound in this case) strenghten's against the USD the price of the focused item goes down in price in that strenghtened currency. The point being made by the above poster is because the original  value is still the same in USD nothing has changed according to the Princess calculated price because it's only a matter of a currency conversion --- hence only a "smoke & mirrors" price change.

It's the value of the British Pound that changed NOT the price of the Princess perks going down.

Edited by srpilo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, srpilo said:

Because what he intends is the actual value per day of the perks is calculated by Princess world wide on all their ships in USD, and obviously when one currency (the British Pound in this case) strenghten's against the USD the price of the focused item goes down in price in that strenghtened currency. The point being made by the above poster is because the original  value is still the same in USD nothing has changed according to the Princess calculated price because it's only a matter of a currency conversion --- hence only a "smoke & mirrors" price change.

It's the value of the British Pound that changed NOT the price of the Princess perks going down.

Precisely.

7 hours ago, srpilo said:

Yes, I quite agree about the impact on Princess $ revenue. 

The point I was making, is that for the UK consumer, there is an actual cost benefit. 

53 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Yes, I quite agree about the impact on Princess $ revenue. 

The point I was making, is that for the UK consumer, there is an actual cost benefit. 

Not if you have already booked a cruise at the higher cost.

Also, I am not convinced about the US$ v GBP argument, exchange rates fluctuate all the time.

1 minute ago, YORKI1 said:

Also, I am not convinced about the US$ v GBP argument, exchange rates fluctuate all the time.

I booked the rescheduled Sky Princess Med cruise on October 22nd at a ridiculously cheap price, so, in all honesty, I'm not bothered about the £5 reduction.

If, however, I had just booked a 2022 cruise, I would be a little miffed.

12 hours ago, YORKI1 said:

I agree, if it was due to currency fluctuations then the price would be up/down everyday.
In the UK it is a reduction in the price from £35 to £30/day.

We booked a 29day cruise last week at £35/day.
I have just emailed Princess Uk and will see what they say, could be a £145 saving or at today’s Currency Fluctuation $201 🤔 

9 hours ago, magandy said:

I agree, if it was due to currency fluctuations then the price would be up/down everyday.

Princess does not adjust the exchange rate daily. In the past they have done it every several months if there had been a significant change.

Lately, at least as far as Canadian $ vs. USA $, Princess has been changing the rate a little more often, but nowhere close to daily or even weekly.