The Daily for Tuesday Mar 16, 2021

richwmn

So the rain in L.A. County stopped around noon and then it was just real windy and cold (for SoCal standards, not for Saskatchewan standards, just so we're on the same page 😉). At 4:50 PM, I received a message from the captain of the Noordam (in San Pedro) that he was looking at a 5:45 PM departure. So, since our humble abode is only about a 15 min drive to the end/start of the 110/Harbor Fwy in Pedro, I jumped in the hooptie and off I went. There is a cool little metal dock caddy corner in front of L.A. Port warehouse No. One (google it) from where you have an excellent view of passing ship traffic before they reach L.A.'s outer harbor and subsequently open sea. The following pics show Noordam on her way out to sea yesterday around 6:45 PM at the last daylight. On the next to last pic (last pic of Noordam) you can just make ouit Angel's Lighthouse on the port's breakwater. The last pic is a closeup of that particular light

Even though Capt. Eric was having to deal with 30+ mph winds on departure, which necessitated  a tug off his ship's port side bow, was dealing with the local harbor pilot, etc. he still found time (his relief captain came onboard Sunday night and was no doubt helping carry the load) to return my wave on that little dock with three long and two short blasts on Noordam's whistle. Attempting to download that recording although the strong wind played with it. I have great memories of both working on Noordam on three separate contracts and having Capt. Eric as my boss, starting with his very first contract as a captain (an interesting one that was) on HAL's Statendam.  Have a great vacation once you reach La Paz, Kaptein!    

May be an image of nature

May be an image of nature and text that says 'land America Line NOORDAN'

May be an image of outdoors

USA - California - Angels Gate Light, L.A. Harbor.JPG

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I remember we had been advised that things were very pricey in Monaco, but we stopped to have a Coke and were charged $12 for 2 of them.  While we were at the sidewalk cafe, there was a fellow from our ship sitting at a nearby table who looked at us and said "I can't believe I just ate a $35 cheeseburger."  LOL  That was in 2004; I wonder what the prices are like now!

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

It sounds like Cannes in 2016 and it wasn't even the film festival week. A plate of spaghetti or a cheeseburger - 35 Euros. 

I don't want to know what they pump their prices up to during the big event. Mediterranean was pretty though, I guess you are paying for the view too.

• Like 13

Hello Dailyites.  Sending prayers to those experiencing troubles.  Some sad stories have been shared here today.

I've enjoyed all the photos of Monte Carlo.  We've been there a number of times and have enjoyed walking around and just goofing off there.  It's easy to fill a day.  We've been to the other local communities, too, on some trips, but just walking Monte Carlo is a very pleasant day.  I had to laugh about the discussion of the high cost of living there.  Last time there, I took a picture of the long, long line stretching out of McDonald's --- locals, not tourists.  Sad when one thinks of the tradition of fine dining in the area, but the locals probably want a bargain, too.

I'm all in on the drink of the day, the Old Fashioned.  That happens to be my tipple of choice.  I will cooperate and do as told this evening.

@Seasick Sailor, I'm seeing you cruising around in Blue Belle.  😘

❤️❤️❤️❤️   Best to all!!!  ❤️❤️❤️❤️

• Like 16

8 hours ago, cunnorl said:

The news on my BIL is not good. He was starting to do OK, but now he has been on a respirator and unresponsive since Saturday.  It is too much. The rest of the family all 17 have recovered. Thankfully.

8 hours ago, ger_77 said:

How sad to hear of your BIL's lack of progress; that's distressing.  We just learned this morning of a friend of ours in Washington state who has been in hospital for the past 2 weeks with covid, and at age 83 has said he doesn't want to be put on a ventilator.  The wait continues to see what happens, as the prognosis isn't good.  Prayers for everyone battling this terrible virus.

How awful for both of you.  Prayers coming your way.

Roy

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Back again after a drive to Flower World (my idea of Disneyland!) 15 acres of trees, shrubs and flowers, 3 acres covered. Even if you aren't interested in buying flowers, the landscaping with fountains is gorgeous.  It's a beautiful afternoon and I just had to go get some bedding plants and more perennials even though I can't plant them quite yet.  Maybe in a week or two. 

@tamsnoprayers for your daughter and her teens, and good news that they are recovering even though slowly.

@ger_77I'm so sorry to hear about your friend here in WA state.

@Live4cruisescongratulations on getting your first jab in a couple days!

• Like 14

Thanks so much for the Daily!!

Love all the sharing, pictures, memes.

I am a lurker😄 but have made this thread part of my morning routine.

One year ago today I left work, little did I know that I would never return🙁

I retired last August as planned , but no goodbye hugs with the people who were such a big part of my life. It was more of a drive-by retirement party.

There are definitely brighter days ahead, and I’m keeping those who have lost so much in my thoughts.

Jo

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

We have been to Monte Carlo three times.  The first was our first cruise on HAL,  our favorite, Rotterdam,  where we met Sharon in AZ and her husband.  We had a CC group of maybe 12 or so!  We had one more visit there, on Rotterdam, and one on Ruby Princess. I enjoy seeing all your pictures.  Mine are all tucked away in photo album/scrapbooks!

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

So the rain in L.A. County stopped around noon and then it was just real windy and cold (for SoCal standards, not for Saskatchewan standards, just so we're on the same page 😉). At 4:50 PM, I received a message from the captain of the Noordam (in San Pedro) that he was looking at a 5:45 PM departure. So, since our humble abode is only about a 15 min drive to the end/start of the 110/Harbor Fwy in Pedro, I jumped in the hooptie and off I went. There is a cool little metal dock caddy corner in front of L.A. Port warehouse No. One (google it) from where you have an excellent view of passing ship traffic before they reach L.A.'s outer harbor and subsequently open sea. The following pics show Noordam on her way out to sea yesterday around 6:45 PM at the last daylight. On the next to last pic (last pic of Noordam) you can just make ouit Angel's Lighthouse on the port's breakwater. The last pic is a closeup of that particular light

Even though Capt. Eric was having to deal with 30+ mph winds on departure, which necessitated  a tug off his ship's port side bow, was dealing with the local harbor pilot, etc. he still found time (his relief captain came onboard Sunday night and was no doubt helping carry the load) to return my wave on that little dock with three long and two short blasts on Noordam's whistle. Attempting to download that recording although the strong wind played with it. I have great memories of both working on Noordam on three separate contracts and having Capt. Eric as my boss, starting with his very first contract as a captain (an interesting one that was) on HAL's Statendam.  Have a great vacation once you reach La Paz, Kaptein!    

John, my friend, thanks for the story and the pictures. I sure miss cruising and I suspect you also miss it.

• Like 6

Thanks to everyone for the daily updates.

Super to see all the photos.

@cunnorlso very sorry to read that news, hope he  soon responds to treatment.

Our weather today is very changeable, a few minutes of sun, then longer intervals of light rain. Very windy.

Hoping the Auckland weather co-operates for the Americas Cup race this afternoon.

Stay safe, keep well everyone.

• Like 15

3 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Thanks Copper John. It's always fun to see what was, 5 (has it really been that many?) looong years ago, our first cruise ship. She's looking good and is a sight for eyes that are sick and tired of looking at bad news and ready to focus on blue hulls, teak decks, and far horizons.

George

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Himself said:

John, my friend, thanks for the story and the pictures. I sure miss cruising and I suspect you also miss it.

Sure do Father, thanks but we'll get on a blue hulled beaut again and, I'm sure,, so will you! In the mean time, you take care and be safe Father! All the best!

• Like 6

Sorry, my error with the name of this light! The port of L.A.'s entrance light which sits at the end of the 9,250-foot San Pedro breakwater is known as L.A. Harbor light or Angel's Gate light. The twelve columns, covered with pilasters, give the lighthouse a Romanesque feel. Edward L. Woodruff, assistant superintendent of the eighteenth lighthouse district, designed the lighthouse and later received a Phebe Hobson Fowler Architectural Award for his work. No other lighthouse was ever built to this design which makes it the only lighthouse of its kind. It stands 73-feet tall and has a steel frame; the first two floors are steel plated to withstand the heavy seas. The light was first lit on March 1, 1913. It used a fourth order Fresnel lens that flashed once every 15 seconds. The original Fresnel lens was removed and the lighthouse automated in 1973 and today it only flashes at night. The original Fresnel lens is displayed in San Pedro's Los Angeles Maritime Museum. 

• Like 11

3 hours ago, erewhon said:

Thanks to everyone for the daily updates.

Super to see all the photos.

@cunnorlso very sorry to read that news, hope he  soon responds to treatment.

Our weather today is very changeable, a few minutes of sun, then longer intervals of light rain. Very windy.

Hoping the Auckland weather co-operates for the Americas Cup race this afternoon.

Stay safe, keep well everyone.

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Hi Erewhon!!

Last night race glad to see NZL won!! Fell asleep David said they will do another race tonight!!’ Now it is scheduled at 10:30pm! David is recording it so we can watch tomorrow! So don’t say anything who won!!! LOL!! Hope you had a great day!

Denise😊

🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

HAPPY SAINT PATRICKS DAY!

It s the 17th in NZ!

• Like 10

59 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Hi Erewhon!!

Last night race glad to see NZL won!! Fell asleep David said they will do another race tonight!!’ Now it is scheduled at 10:30pm! David is recording it so we can watch tomorrow! So don’t say anything who won!!! LOL!! Hope you had a great day!

Denise😊

🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

HAPPY SAINT PATRICKS DAY!

It s the 17th in NZ!

My lips are sealed!!!

Have a good sleep.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Sorry, my error with the name of this light! The port of L.A.'s entrance light which sits at the end of the 9,250-foot San Pedro breakwater is known as L.A. Harbor light or Angel's Gate light. The twelve columns, covered with pilasters, give the lighthouse a Romanesque feel. Edward L. Woodruff, assistant superintendent of the eighteenth lighthouse district, designed the lighthouse and later received a Phebe Hobson Fowler Architectural Award for his work. No other lighthouse was ever built to this design which makes it the only lighthouse of its kind. It stands 73-feet tall and has a steel frame; the first two floors are steel plated to withstand the heavy seas. The light was first lit on March 1, 1913. It used a fourth order Fresnel lens that flashed once every 15 seconds. The original Fresnel lens was removed and the lighthouse automated in 1973 and today it only flashes at night. The original Fresnel lens is displayed in San Pedro's Los Angeles Maritime Museum. 

Hmmm. When things open up more I’m going to have to check out LAMaritime Museum. Lived here my whole life and have never been.

• Like 5

🌴Good Evening from Maui....✈ flew for a much needed getaway and relaxation....😯 so I haven't read all 5 pages! 🐼I did enjoy seeing the pandas posts and it brought back memories from the Viking river cruise and visiting all the wonderful sites in China. Yes, to visiting Monaco, too, for the day with the "Cruise Critics" and a great tour.🇲🇨

😎Aloha and prayers for all in need!🙏

20210316_093325.jpg

• Like 10

19 hours ago, erewhon said:

My lips are sealed!!!

Have a good sleep.

image.jpeg.d637fee2456018ea25b7503c43fe3c19.jpeg

🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

WAY TO GO TEAM NEW ZEALAND 🇳🇿 

🌺EREWHON  it wasn’t a nail biter but I loved watching how sleek she was and how she glided through the water!!

CONGRATULATIONS 👍 WELL DONE

Denise😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

image.jpeg.d637fee2456018ea25b7503c43fe3c19.jpeg

🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

WAY TO GO TEAM NEW ZEALAND 🇳🇿 

🌺EREWHON  it wasn’t a nail biter but I loved watching how sleek she was and how she glided through the water!!

CONGRATULATIONS 👍 WELL DONE

Denise😊

Thank you.

Now they have to plan for the next time, hope there will be more teams challenging.

• Like 3