Jump to content

Tony Markey


cruzluvers
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just got an email from Azamara announcing the "exciting" news about Tony's new dual responsibilities as Relief Food & Beverage Manager and Hotel Director on Azamara Journey.  Sounds like some cost cutting going on.   Who will replace Tony as Cruise Director or will he be doing that too???  Stay tuned.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don’t see how he could do the Cruise Director role alongside F & B manager & relief Hotel Director.

Interesting that in the body of the email Carol Cabezas says that he’s Hotel Director and Relief F& B Manager. But it’s clear in the linked interview with Tony that he has been appointed as F & B Manager and Relief Hotel Director of the Journey.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Don’t see how he could do the Cruise Director role alongside F & B manager & relief Hotel Director.

Interesting that in the body of the email Carol Cabezas says that he’s Hotel Director and Relief F& B Manager. But it’s clear in the linked interview with Tony that he has been appointed as F & B Manager and Relief Hotel Director of the Journey.

 

Pretty clear from the interview the email has it wrong, knowing Tony I think it’s something he always fancied doing. Just in case people haven’t received the email here’s a link to the announcement and interview:

https://www.azamara.co.uk/blog/exciting-conversation-tony-markey?

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok. It's the elephant in the room for me, but I'm going to say it anyway.  Tony was most definitely not my favourite CD. I enjoy the personality of Eric and loved Russ. Maybe Tony will find his niche in F & B and associate HD.  Very different. I wish Amanda well too. I enjoyed her and Danny Turner also. Wonder what Tony's wife Christine will now do as she became part of the CD package?

 

Phil 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, cruzluvers said:

Just got an email from Azamara announcing the "exciting" news about Tony's new dual responsibilities as Relief Food & Beverage Manager and Hotel Director on Azamara Journey.  Sounds like some cost cutting going on.   Who will replace Tony as Cruise Director or will he be doing that too???  Stay tuned.

I just saw on Facebook that Amanda Paulson will be the Cruise Director.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I was concerned in the interview that Tony was looking forward to learning as he went along - scary in a premium line,  you need someone who is fully competent.  It is a very strange appointment, Hotel Director is such an important role that needs such a good technical understanding of hotel skills.   Tony saw it as a man management role.  I hope Azamara has not made a mistake changing the direction of this role especially giving it to someone with no hotel skills experience.

 

I have been onboard when Amanda was CD, she was very competent at it so no concerns there.

 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jelayne said:

I’ve not heard of a Relief HD ( or Relief officer for any position) what is a Relief HDs role?  Is that different from a Assistant HD?
 

 

I think it’s a continuation of how they worked in recent years.  When they had two ships, Heike and Philip had their own ships and Ryzard was also a permanent HD so he did two months on one ship to cover leave then immediately flew to the other and did another two months - (Hotel Directors are 4 months on two off)

The third ship meant this could not work so they went to another model where someone was two months F and B (which is quite a technical role) then stepped up as HD or worse psychologically 2 months HD then stepped down. Step up/down rarely works, it is difficult for the individual to adjust. I think this is what they are planning to do for the moment with three ships.  Good luck to them! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Ok. It's the elephant in the room for me, but I'm going to say it anyway.  Tony was most definitely not my favourite CD. I enjoy the personality of Eric and loved Russ. Maybe Tony will find his niche in F & B and associate HD.  Very different. I wish Amanda well too. I enjoyed her and Danny Turner also. Wonder what Tony's wife Christine will now do as she became part of the CD package?

 

Phil 

 

In our view, we felt very fortunate that there were a number of excellent CD's, each with strengths, and as a result it was never uppermost in our minds who would be fulfilling that task for a particular cruise. 

 

At gatherings of experienced Azamara cruisers we are not gregarious participants, and during one of those events Tony obviously noticed and took time to sit with us for a quiet chat.

 

During that chat, we discussed an upcoming retrofit of the ship and he provided some interesting information.

 

We think fondly of him for that, and wish him all success in his new roles.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tony is so multi-talented.  He is very intelligent, exceptionally educated and artistically gifted.  His many accomplishments throughout his career, whether in the cruise industry or otherwise, have proven his ability to learn, adapt and succeed.  As such he will bring much value to the table in his new roles.

 

I wish him all the best in this next challenge.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I saw Tony’s photo alongside the email, I realised that I hoped it was not a notification of his departure. I was a little surprised to realise how pleased I was to learn that he was changing role, rather than cruise line.

In our experience, Tony has always seemed a little more than ‘just’ a Cruise Director, so I am confident that he will do very well in his new position(s). I hope we will still get to hear him - and Christine - sing sometimes though!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wonder what happened to Heike.  Is she the hotel director on the new ship?  Is captain Johnnes now the captain of the new ship and is he taking Eric and Heike with him?  Stay tuned for answers 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, eggcream3 said:

Wonder what happened to Heike.  Is she the hotel director on the new ship?  Is captain Johnnes now the captain of the new ship and is he taking Eric and Heike with him?  Stay tuned for answers 

Before the new ship was announced, the senior officers schedule showed Heike on Pursuit and Johannes on Quest.  Ryszard is also now on Quest.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Before the new ship was announced, the senior officers schedule showed Heike on Pursuit and Johannes on Quest.  Ryszard is also now on Quest.

Our next several  “tentative” cruises are on Quest (which all of our previous minus one were), I’m so glad that Ryszard will be back on Quest!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure as F and B which he is doing half time is same stripes as I recall.  Previously this up down role was you had the stripes only when you were relief HD. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With four ships there will be no need for jumping between F&B manager and hotel director.  Each ship can have an assigned HD and two "jumper" HDs can switch ships when the four take staggered vacations, just like Ryszard spelled Heike and Philip when there were two ships.  So Tony would become full-time HD when Onward joins the fleet next year.

 

HD roster would be:  Heike, Ryszard, Tomasz, Elisabeth, Ngawhira, and Tony.  Likely the latter two would be "jumpers," but who knows.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

With four ships there will be no need for jumping between F&B manager and hotel director.  Each ship can have an assigned HD and two "jumper" HDs can switch ships when the four take staggered vacations, just like Ryszard spelled Heike and Philip when there were two ships.  So Tony would become full-time HD when Onward joins the fleet next year.

 

HD roster would be:  Heike, Ryszard, Tomasz, Elisabeth, Ngawhira, and Tony.  Likely the latter two would be "jumpers," but who knows.

That makes perfect sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It has been great to see what a good hire Elisabeth was.  There is some amazing talent out there and I hope as well as looking within, Azamara looks wider in the industry for talented hotel staff to help with the new ship.  Their own talent pool was stretched quite a bit when Pursuit came on stream, as they took staff over to work on the ship.  At the time they admitted it was going to take them a year to get things back to how they were and it was good to see that they did indeed achieve that during 2019.  I am not sure how easy it will be in 2021/22 as they have to cope with learning covid protocols, resettling existing crew, coping with the loss of key leaders, moving leaders around ships and working with 25% new crew so some new top tier talent would be great to see being brought in from outside.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is also unknown how many of the existing crew members will return, some may have decided not to, that would also mean lots of training for replacement staff.

I also believe Tony has made a strange move but he must have his reasons.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...