UK staycation cruise details launched

10 hours ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

But when you're on a ship full of vaccinated people, you've also got to consider the overall protective effect too. The vaccine might not be 100% effective but you've still got to have someone to catch it off. And if the vaccine has prevented most of those people being able to catch covid or even just reduced their viral load, then those people who are still more susceptible are still unlikely to be able to get it (this is herd immunity!). Obviously more risk when you've got a larger number of unvaccinated people.

This was covered in the news briefing yesterday. I needed to write it down, but got it in the end. Low transmission means less bugs floating around for folk to catch, vaccinations means less chance of those bugs getting you. The lady saying it sounded very, very clever so I'll believe her and go for it.🤔

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sallybunny said:

Everyone will also need a clear test before boarding. No one will be getting on and off the ships and the initial cruises are short. All of which dramatically reduces the risk of Covid being brought and spread on board. With masks and distancing and hygiene measures I’m betting this is going to be on of the safest places to be in the summer! 

It doesn't say you need to be tested.

39 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

I don't think anyone is giving a cast iron guarantee that covid won't find it's way on board. The same as there's no guarantee that it won't be at the table next to you in a pub or shopping next to you in Tesco. But all of the procedures in place reduce the risk as much as is possible. Then it's up to individuals to decide if that risk is acceptable to them. 

Absolutely agree nothing in life is guaranteed, no guarantee we will not be killed crossing the road   Or hit by bus we take informed risks every single day and when all the procedures are in place we can only hope the risks will be small, what’s the alternative Groundhog Day forever.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Absolutely agree nothing in life is guaranteed, no guarantee we will not be killed crossing the road   Or hit by bus we take informed risks every single day and when all the procedures are in place we can only hope the risks will be small, what’s the alternative Groundhog Day forever.

I think we need greater isolation. No self catering till 17th May. To be ultra safe, we have not booked until 22nd. Same in June. We will leave it a couple of days so that the Hotel can be well up to speed. We have left our Minorca holiday till September. Nothing to do with Covid, but it gets a bit warm in August. 

As soon as things unlock, we will be off.

12 minutes ago, zap99 said:

That's right Zap but they are hedging their bets at the moment by saying you may need to be tested. At a guess, I would say maybe they will take everyone's temperature before boarding and then test those with a raised temperature. If denied boarding, they will issue an FCC.

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

I think we need greater isolation. No self catering till 17th May. To be ultra safe, we have not booked until 22nd. Same in June. We will leave it a couple of days so that the Hotel can be well up to speed. We have left our Minorca holiday till September. Nothing to do with Covid, but it gets a bit warm in August. 

As soon as things unlock, we will be off.

Sounds fantastic hope you enjoy all your holidays and breaks.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Britboys said:

That's right Zap but they are hedging their bets at the moment by saying you may need to be tested. At a guess, I would say maybe they will take everyone's temperature before boarding and then test those with a raised temperature. If denied boarding, they will issue an FCC.

Exactly that. A weazle word to cover them if the rules change. May is a bit like might, could. Not like will, should. In eurospeak, informative and Normative.

3 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Sounds fantastic hope you enjoy all your holidays and breaks.

We hope we can get a med cruise in during late August. If we don't spend it on holidays, DW finds a home for it. The Michael Kors shop opens soon I am told.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, fragilek said:

Agreed - I was just pointing out the heard immunity protection theory can't be applied to the ship until the crew are vaccinated. As it will get on board no matter what precautions are taken but if everyone including the crew were vaccinated this would be less of an issue than it has the potential to become with an unvaccinated crew.

I still disagree with your assertion that the virus WILL get on board. It might but then again it might not, and as cruisinewbie says the protocols that P&O are putting in place should diminish that likelihood, and where it does the same protocols should reduce its spread.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

I still disagree with your assertion that the virus WILL get on board. It might but then again it might not, and as cruisinewbie says the protocols that P&O are putting in place should diminish that likelihood, and where it does the same protocols should reduce its spread.

It's behiiiind you.👻👻👻👻. I think you advised me months ago, you won't change ingrained views🤣

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

May be until every one goes home!

46 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Maybe once the crew are on board and clear, they will not be allowed off the ship?

Which they won't be, on the scenic cruises.

I guess the issue may be with regard to contact with shore staff on turnaround days.

14 hours ago, seapals2 said:

Against new variants the efficiency drops to around 85%.  This means for every hundred passengers 15 could be at risk.  Hopefully protected against serious illness but never the less will require quarantine should they become infected.  

85% is still a very good efficacy compared to other vaccines. The alternative is to stay cloistered at home and let life pass you by worrying about the 15%. I have the flu jab every year, even though sometimes the efficacy can be as low as 50%, it's better than nothing. 

Avril

• Like 12

4 hours ago, zap99 said:

Simon Palethorpe President of Carnival UK talking on travelweekly website, worth a look, said with reference to P&O staycation cruises everybody will be tested at Southampton prior to boarding and the price is included in the price of the cruise.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Simon Palethorpe President of Carnival UK talking on travelweekly website, worth a look, said with reference to P&O staycation cruises everybody will be tested at Southampton prior to boarding and the price is included in the price of the cruise.

Website says. Getting their story straight may help.

As the vaccine roll out progresses and the government has announced its intended roadmap for the future, the guidance is continually evolving. Pre-embarkation COVID-19 tests may be required as part of our framework of protocols and will be complimentary in the price of your holiday. We will update this page as necessary and update all guests

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Website says. Getting their story straight may help.

As the vaccine roll out progresses and the government has announced its intended roadmap for the future, the guidance is continually evolving. Pre-embarkation COVID-19 tests may be required as part of our framework of protocols and will be complimentary in the price of your holiday. We will update this page as necessary and update all guests

I am well aware what it says as I have previously read it, go and watch the video on travelweekly.co.uk of Simon Palethorpe President of Carnival UK so he is in charge of both P&O and Carnival so he should know what he is talking about because you dont obviously believe me. Which is dated today at 0850 so is up to date.

Edited by majortom10

28 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I am well aware what it says as I have previously read it, go and watch the video on travelweekly.co.uk of Simon Palethorpe President of Carnival UK so he is in charge of both P&O and Carnival so he should know what he is talking about because you dont obviously believe me. Which is dated today at 0850 so is up to date.

I am not disbelieving what you say. Merely making the point that they need to get their stories straight and sing from the same hymn sheet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Yes your right he did say ' some form of testing '

51 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

The numbers in France are going up alarmingly, also in Italy.  Don't think anyone will be going there anytime soon.

Think you’re right Jean we had nothing here for months then 900+ cases in the last 2 weeks Kent variant affecting younger ones over 20% of the cases in 5-19 age groups 

2 minutes ago, Manx buoy said:

Think you’re right Jean we had nothing here for months then 900+ cases in the last 2 weeks Kent variant affecting younger ones over 20% of the cases in 5-19 age groups 

Stay Safe!

• Like 1

Picked this up earlier;

MSC Cruises is to offer short breaks and week-long cruises around the British Isles from May 20 for UK families, including children, leaving from the new terminal in Southampton.
Antonio Paradiso, Managing Director of MSC Cruises UK & Ireland said: 'We will welcome both vaccinated and non-vaccinated guests.'
The seven-night cruises 'will visit some of the UK’s favourite destinations' and offer other ports of embarkation. Mr Paradiso said: 'Our hope is to offer every type of holidaymaker the chance to escape - from grandparents to teens and even the smallest of passengers.'
He added: 'All guests will be tested prior to embarkation, while non-vaccinated guests will also be required to show proof of negative test done within 72 hours prior to embarkation.' Crew will be initially quarantined for 14 days and tested each week.
Mr Paradiso said that since MSC Grandiosa restarted sailing in the Med last August, it had carried more than 50,000 guests 'under the protection of our industry-leading health and safety protocol'. 'We will sail with a reduced capacity so guests have even more space.'
He added: 'Guests can expect a variety of fun and engaging areas for children with play areas for a range of ages. We are also working on a programme of protected shore excursions.'
Mr Paradiso said: 'We continue to engage with the UK Government and all relevant authorities as we evaluate the ever-changing travel landscape and prepare for any potential roadblocks that could arise as we journey on the roadmap to recovery.
'Whilst we are excited for a summer of British cruising, we remain confident that we will soon be able to welcome UK guests back on board further afield. Further details regarding our UK sailings will be announced shortly.'
  • Like 2

On 3/17/2021 at 6:41 PM, zap99 said:

We have some space in July/August but hope med fly cruises will open up by then.

You are ever the optimist Zap, however which cruise line are you hoping to cruise with.  P&O, Princess, and Celebrity/RCI are doing UK passenger only cruises from the UK, and Costa and MSC who are doing Med Cruises are limited to EU nationals only.

But I do hope that things do change in your favour.