Jump to content

Cruising with a baby


Lauraa88
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 3/20/2021 at 10:03 PM, rbtan said:

Agree. I don't wish to see my dinner ruined by those who don't care what their child does. We were on an Oceania trip where there was an infant. This was surprising, as they do not permit infants on board normally. When the child acted (as most do when cranky) the mother rushed her right out of the diningroom. I feel this is the proper way to handle things.

Oceania has always allowed children / infants and still does. There is a children’s program on Alaska cruises.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/17/2021 at 5:13 AM, Lauraa88 said:

Hi all,

 

We’re currently expecting and are considering booking a cruise with Princess for when our little one will be approx 1 year old. 
 

I was wondering if anyone can share any experiences of cruising with a baby? 
 

We’ve been on lots of cruises with Princess so aren’t new to cruising. I’m aware other cruise lines might be more ‘child friendly’. But like everyone we‘ve got a lot of cruise credit to use up 😂

 

Thanks in advance! 
 

Laura 

We did a 10 day Halloween cruise from Brooklyn, NY to Fort Lauderdale, Fl a few years ago with our daughter, son in law, his unmarried sister with their three kids ages 5, 4, and 2 1/12

We had mini suites on Princess and it worked out well. The two boys spent the day in the kids club. Our 2 1/2 year old granddaughter could not be left alone in the kids club. Everyone had a wonderful time and the kids loved the cruise. When it was bedtime we had plenty of options on who was going to get them into bed. Our granddaughter was in a bed for the first time. One night she rolled out on to pillows placed on the floor and never woke up. She slept the entire night on the floor.

My advice is take the grandparents. Hopefully they will offer to pay. Otherwise ask a close friend.

Good luck

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Many cruise lines have a minimum age limit of six months and also an age limit of twelve months where a cruise has consecutive sea days.  I believe this is based on possible sudden medical needs. It is advisable to read the small print and what is offered at the children's clubs in terms of general support.

 

Regards John

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would suggest paying the extra and cruising Disney instead.  They're set up for children.  Or, pay to have a nanny come with you.  Princess charges you for that one-year old, even if you're bringing your own sustenance.  Costa and MSC don't charge for infants.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/24/2021 at 3:41 AM, Lady Meer said:

Oceania has always allowed children / infants and still does. There is a children’s program on Alaska cruises.

Let's say it's more "tolerated". O is NOT geared towards children. The child's program on Alaska cruises is pretty lame. Please don't give a false impression that O is a line that welcomes kids. They are NOT child unfriendly, but the line IS geared towards adults, which is more a reason we like the line. We were on the Regal during school break & there were lots of kids on board. There were few infants. We see few infants on any line overall. I will say the kids on that Regal trip were better behaved than many of their parents.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/17/2021 at 9:13 AM, Lauraa88 said:

Hi all,

 

We’re currently expecting and are considering booking a cruise with Princess for when our little one will be approx 1 year old. 
 

I was wondering if anyone can share any experiences of cruising with a baby? 
 

We’ve been on lots of cruises with Princess so aren’t new to cruising. I’m aware other cruise lines might be more ‘child friendly’. But like everyone we‘ve got a lot of cruise credit to use up 😂

 

Thanks in advance! 
 

Laura 

As your from the UK , P&O have had a big increase in families cruising so they might be a better option I've seen plenty of push chairs ( strollers ) at the gangway indicating this ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, rbtan said:

Let's say it's more "tolerated". O is NOT geared towards children. The child's program on Alaska cruises is pretty lame. Please don't give a false impression that O is a line that welcomes kids. They are NOT child unfriendly, but the line IS geared towards adults, which is more a reason we like the line. We were on the Regal during school break & there were lots of kids on board. There were few infants. We see few infants on any line overall. I will say the kids on that Regal trip were better behaved than many of their parents.

I was NOT giving a false impression, merely correcting a false statement. I have been on O several times and there has always been children. They were always well behaved, unlike some of the adults.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

When my kids were little we were fortunate to be able to take them camping. We had pretty much zero discretionary cash. We figured we would never be "rich enough" to take a cruise. It was something that would have been in the realm of fantasy.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 3/17/2021 at 9:13 AM, Lauraa88 said:

Hi all,

 

We’re currently expecting and are considering booking a cruise with Princess for when our little one will be approx 1 year old. 
 

I was wondering if anyone can share any experiences of cruising with a baby? 
 

We’ve been on lots of cruises with Princess so aren’t new to cruising. I’m aware other cruise lines might be more ‘child friendly’. But like everyone we‘ve got a lot of cruise credit to use up 😂

 

Thanks in advance! 
 

Laura 

Congratulations to and your partner! 👶

 

We also recently found out we are expecting and have A LOT of cruise credit to use up before the end of next year... so following this thread with interest!

 

As people say, yes there are more child friendly cruise lines than Princess but we are not losing out on £6000! We have been looking for when they are 7 months (maybe Baltic) or 11 months (New England), both hopefully better temperatures for an infant and not too much stress about pools (or not being able to go in them). I am a bit anxious about it but my husband started cruising when he was 6 months old so it's perfectly doable 😃 My mother in law may also come with us so she is already a pro I hope!

 

We both know it will be different to all other cruises we have been on but it will be so nice to get away for a break after the past year!

 

Best of luck in your pregnancy and finding a nice holiday! 😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, stracpat said:

Congratulations to and your partner! 👶

 

We also recently found out we are expecting and have A LOT of cruise credit to use up before the end of next year... so following this thread with interest!

 

As people say, yes there are more child friendly cruise lines than Princess but we are not losing out on £6000! We have been looking for when they are 7 months (maybe Baltic) or 11 months (New England), both hopefully better temperatures for an infant and not too much stress about pools (or not being able to go in them). I am a bit anxious about it but my husband started cruising when he was 6 months old so it's perfectly doable 😃 My mother in law may also come with us so she is already a pro I hope!

 

We both know it will be different to all other cruises we have been on but it will be so nice to get away for a break after the past year!

 

Best of luck in your pregnancy and finding a nice holiday! 😎

 

I know that I am going to get slammed on this but here goes.  It seems to me that asking a full fare paying relative to come on a cruise with you and then expecting them to watch your child is an imposition on the relative.  If you are paying the fare for the relative and expecting them to do some child watching duties would be sort of OK but not if the relative or relatives is  paying her fare(s)

 

If you want to cruise and have someone watch your child so that you can mostly enjoy yourself, hire a nanny to come with you whose job will be to watch your child.

 

DON

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Obviously, by the screen name, we are parents.

Would one or both sets of trusted grandparents be available to take care of your child in their homes for the duration of a short cruise? You will really want and need a break, trust me.  Hope something can be worked out.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Make sure to bring grandma along to watch the baby, or it won’t be much of a vacation for you all.  Babies won’t be able to go in the pool, unfortunately,  and if you and hubby want a quiet dinner, it might not work out so well, unless you like going  to buffet.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Sorry, I can't offer any good tips, as we chose not to travel with an infant or 'walking baby'.

We just had no interest in being kind of tied up in a tiny cabin with a baby who napped a LOT, messy diapers,  no place to crawl or toddle around.....

 

Inlaws wanted us to cruise..  But interestingly, they didn't offer any help with paying for the expensive cruise, and did not offer to help with our baby son either.   🙄 (roll-eyes)

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/20/2021 at 12:53 PM, akeasley said:

As someone above mentioned, check out the family message board. There are helpful tips and tricks mentioned by other parents/grandparents. One thing that is mentioned frequently is car seats and how to bring those on a ship. If you visit ports, how to transport kids with or w/o the seats. It seems to be an ongoing discussion. 

 

The buffet will be a good option because they usually have some kid friendly foods available. All 3 of their cruises have been on Caribbean princess, which has world market place. On either side, they have a smaller cooler with milks and box cereal, which always was nice as a snack. This ship also has a new kids' area, which we haven't gotten to experience yet but it looks nice. We choose the ship over the ports because I found it nice to be familiar with the ship when traveling with kids.

 

The two main Princess pools are not suppose to be for kids using swim diapers. I've never used those pools with my kids but have seen others take their babies in them. From what I can tell, Princess staff doesn't say anything to the parents.  

 

Bring more diapers and wipes than you think you'll need, just in case. You don't mention where you're cruising but in my experience, pharmacies are hard to find in Caribbean ports. Diapers and wipes are not sold in the gift shop.

 

Beach toys and other entrainment activities will need to be packed. You can't leave your child alone in the kids club until they are 3/potty trained. You can take them in and stay with them to play but it may only be certain hours. 

 

Princess ships don't have changing tables in their public bathrooms so to change diapers, etc you'll need to take your child back up to your room. That can be difficult, considering where you are on the ship.

 

If possible, bring a grandparent or two to help you enjoy some time by yourself. It's not easy with kids and I wouldn't consider Princess the most kid friendly cruise line. My kids have cruised 3 times and twice I booked a suite to have more room for them to play/walk around in. 

 

When you have the drill on the first day, my husband discovered that if you miss the first one, they have a second drill with less people and that was easier to attend with my son. I think he was napping during the first drill so we missed it.

 

Enjoy your cruise!!

 

 

I was going to write about not having the changing tables!  I read through since it has been 11 years since cruising with our family including a 16 month old at the time.  No changing tables.  That was the main issue for us.  Other wise, like others have said crew great etc.  We did have 4 adults on the cruise to help when the parents wanted to do adult things like visit a club or casino.  I'm surprised to hear still no changing tables.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, sept10dsm said:

I was going to write about not having the changing tables!  I read through since it has been 11 years since cruising with our family including a 16 month old at the time.  No changing tables.  That was the main issue for us.  Other wise, like others have said crew great etc.  We did have 4 adults on the cruise to help when the parents wanted to do adult things like visit a club or casino.  I'm surprised to hear still no changing tables.

And we did bring a stroller.  It was very helpful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 3/20/2021 at 10:53 AM, akeasley said:

As someone above mentioned, check out the family message board. There are helpful tips and tricks mentioned by other parents/grandparents. 

 

The two main Princess pools are not suppose to be for kids using swim diapers. I've never used those pools with my kids but have seen others take their babies in them. From what I can tell, Princess staff doesn't say anything to the parents.  

 

Enjoy your cruise!!

 

If I was on a cruise and there was an infant in the main pool, I would lodge a complaint w pool staff.  Since we can assume that the pool staff will ignore the complaint, I would ask to speak to a supervisor.  I see no reason that my enjoyment of the pool should be drained for pool cleaning because some parent who figures that pool rules don't apply to them and allows their child to soil the pool.  

 

DON

 

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/24/2021 at 4:11 PM, Incognito1 said:

I would suggest paying the extra and cruising Disney instead.  They're set up for children.  Or, pay to have a nanny come with you.  Princess charges you for that one-year old, even if you're bringing your own sustenance.  Costa and MSC don't charge for infants.

We did Disney once. It was not worth the extra money, in my opinion. Our kids have cruises happily on Princess since they started. We did not sail with infants, we waited until each kid was 5 before they cruised (our choice, grandparents watched the kid we didn’t take). We also paid for a nanny to join us a few times to watch the kids. It was a working vacation for the nanny and It did not count as her time off. The kids did the kids club, the nanny watched the kids at the pool and then watched the kids after dinner. She got to share a room with the kids.
As they got older my sister or sister in law joined us (they paid for themselves) and we paid for the nanny-they shared a room, but I would think that only works with an existing nanny. Can’t imagine a stranger joining you on vacation. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

 

If I was on a cruise and there was an infant in the main pool, I would lodge a complaint w pool staff.  Since we can assume that the pool staff will ignore the complaint, I would ask to speak to a supervisor.  I see no reason that my enjoyment of the pool should be drained for pool cleaning because some parent who figures that pool rules don't apply to them and allows their child to soil the pool.  

 

DON

 

Absolutely!! No babies in water diapers allowed!! We would complain also. My kids never peed in the pool. They actually believed us when we said urine would change the ph in the pool and show a blue color. 😂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, donaldsc said:

 

I know that I am going to get slammed on this but here goes.  It seems to me that asking a full fare paying relative to come on a cruise with you and then expecting them to watch your child is an imposition on the relative.  If you are paying the fare for the relative and expecting them to do some child watching duties would be sort of OK but not if the relative or relatives is  paying her fare(s)

 

If you want to cruise and have someone watch your child so that you can mostly enjoy yourself, hire a nanny to come with you whose job will be to watch your child.

 

DON

 This is entirely presumptuous and rude - you do not know us or our relationship with my mother in law.

 

However if you really must know, she is incredibly excited about her first grandchild arriving. Since my father in law died at the start of last year this has been a really nice positive thing for her to focus on and she is insisting on coming with us and we want her to get away on her first holiday since his death as she has also always loved cruising. I am quite happy to look after my own child when it comes but if she wants to help me that is also ok.

 

You seem to have a strong opinion on children on cruises (or maybe children in general?) which seems to be more of the issue... but then again I wouldn't want to assume either as I don't know you at all.

 

The original poster was looking for advice, not someone to be negative and basically tell her to stay away from cruising.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, geocruiser said:

I have always enjoyed cruising with responsible parents who have little ones with them.

Likewise! We have always cruised as a young couple in our 20s up to now and have had more dinners ruined by rude middle aged/older couples complaining about the temperature of the wine than babies.

 

Or those incredibly LOUD voices telling the story of their life to everyone at the pool who will listen 🤷‍♀️

 

I think in general, just be conscientious of others when travelling (whether with children or not) and you won't bother anyone 😃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I started taking my son on cruises when he was a little over a year.  He went on 10 cruises by the time he was 18.  He has some great memories, yes not from the first one except through photos, and so do I because of it.  

 

In terms of behavior,  kids will be kids at times.  They can change moods easily.  But so can adults.  I've seen adults behave extremely poorly at dining venues on board a ship.  

 

Enjoy creating memories with your child.  Congrats!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, stracpat said:

Likewise! We have always cruised as a young couple in our 20s up to now and have had more dinners ruined by rude middle aged/older couples complaining about the temperature of the wine than babies.

 

Or those incredibly LOUD voices telling the story of their life to everyone at the pool who will listen 🤷‍♀️

 

I think in general, just be conscientious of others when travelling (whether with children or not) and you won't bother anyone 😃

 

I totally agree w you.  However, you have to agree that the few people who bring their children who are normal children who behave like into the main dining room; (i.e. cry or run around) instead of the buffet and the people who cause the pools to be drained because their children poop in the pool are interfering w my enjoyment of the cruise.  Most people are conscientious and I try to be but there are a significant number of people of all ages on cruises who are not.

 

The same thing obviously occurs in non-cruise venues such as better restaurants (not Denny's or equivalent) or occasions such as graduations.  

 

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, donaldsc said:

 

I know that I am going to get slammed on this but here goes.  It seems to me that asking a full fare paying relative to come on a cruise with you and then expecting them to watch your child is an imposition on the relative.  If you are paying the fare for the relative and expecting them to do some child watching duties would be sort of OK but not if the relative or relatives is  paying her fare(s)

 

If you want to cruise and have someone watch your child so that you can mostly enjoy yourself, hire a nanny to come with you whose job will be to watch your child.

 

DON

Don - sometimes things are better left unposted....

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't understand why there is even a discussion about this- everyone on a Princess cruise must be vaccinated and right now, there are no vaccines for children under 12 years of age.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...